December 26, 2007

Christmas: The Aftermath

Oh holy christ (who, actually is the root cause of this to begin with) am I tired!

This is Mia's third Christmas. Her first wasn't all that demanding; she was five months old which is kinda like spending Christmas with a loaf of bread. Granted, a very cute loaf of bread and a loaf of bread that poops and occasionally screams, but she wasn't exactly into Christmas. Her second Christmas was spent vomiting; she was in good company as her mother was doing the same thing. Christmas wasn't quite the huge celebration we'd expected it to be. Frankly, holding a cracker and some water down was more awe-inspiring than the baby Jesus. This year, though, everyone was healthy, fully functional, and totally grooving on the Christmas spirit. And it was exhausting. Fun, but exhausting.

Over the last 48 hours, I've shot a couple hundred pictures (seriously), hosted a get-together for my family, spent an evening at the in-laws, wrapped and opened a colossal amount of gifts, and eaten an amount of food that would be appropriate only for someone planning on running five consecutive marathons and then bench-pressing Santa. And it was all stupendous.

Beth and I (operating on behalf of Santa, of course) apparently stumbled on the perfect bumblebee toy after months of debate. After seeing her reaction Christmas morning, I'm still sure she didn't actually have something specific in mind. We lucked out. Between Santa, Beth and I and the grandparents, we've also populated the house with Little People. We have more than a Little People city, state, continent or world - we have a freaking Little People universe. Of course, tomorrow will be the day Mia decides that little people suck and she wants a Barbie. But for now it was all a glorious success.

I realize I'm short on detail and even shorter on pictures. I need a day to recoup, edit pictures, play with my kid and figure out why the hell I thought it was a good idea to name all the Little People. Like I need more stuff to forget. So, if you'll excuse me, I have to decide between two options - a gallon of coffee or the mother of all naps. But before I go, how was your Christmas? Or, if you don't celebrate it, your Tuesday?

Posted by Chris at December 26, 2007 9:16 AM
Comments

I had just left a comment on Beth's site last night asking about the mystery bumblebee toy, glad that worked out! My Christmas was wonderful, seems every year it gets better even though we think it can't get any better! :) Glad you all had a great day!

Posted by: Dana at December 26, 2007 9:49 AM

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Posted by: william at December 26, 2007 10:00 AM

Christmas with the grandparents...they're truly amazing and they give excellent advice:

'If you have a choice between turning 91-years old or dying, take the death.'

Sage advice, I think.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at December 26, 2007 10:40 AM

My dil and their youngest didn't make it (sick) but other than that we had a good time. I managed to shoehorn 9 people, including a toddler, into this tiny house.

Glad yours went well and you figured out the bumblebee.

Posted by: ann adams at December 26, 2007 10:41 AM

Despite a super nasty cold, it was quite enjoyable! It sounds like yours was as well. Can't wait to see the pictures. :o)

Posted by: Emily at December 26, 2007 10:51 AM

Our Christmas was Merry and Bright and quiet. We also ate an obscene amount of food and guzzled way too much eggnog. (I am still on a sugar high from all of this)
I can hardly wait to see the pictures of your Mia! Bet it was all so much fun!!

Posted by: Maribeth at December 26, 2007 11:08 AM

I'm glad to hear you had a healthy and happy Christmas! We did too. It was a lot of fun, and the kids have never had their boundaries stretched so far in the interest of being easy-going for the many events. They've been great, and so very good, I couldn't ask for more.

A note about Little People: I did the same thing with naming until I realized I wasn't even going to come close to remembering them all and stopped.

Do tell what the adults got for X-mas. I'm always looking for ideas for my b-day in a month. :)

Posted by: Brad at December 26, 2007 11:26 AM

My Christmas was a balance of pleasure, being with my family and delighting in watching my children experience the joy of christmas, and it was filled with pain. My blog was stumbled upon by people with malicious intent. I deleted it out of fear that people were reading to expose my every weakness. I lost a small part of myself when I did that. I'm starting to re-build again.

Posted by: Goddess of Small Things at December 26, 2007 11:42 AM

But the Little People all already HAVE names. ;) Michael and Freddy and... Hell, I can't remember them either.

Our Christmas was infested with Dora, Hannah Montana, and CareBears. The kids were happy, and I lucked out with my not-so-subtle hinting resulting in getting my iPhone from Hubby (which has resulted in several joyous hours playing with my new toy!).

I'm still freakin' tired from yesterday, but I've already been out today - to Barnes & Noble (giftcard to spend), the Apple Store (accessories to buy) and of course to Starbucks (sucking down gingerbread lattes before they are gone!).

Have a great day!

Posted by: Sarah at December 26, 2007 11:42 AM

Glad no one vomited! Can't wait to see the pictures of the elusive bumblebee toy. Just remember that as our children age (mine's 22), the Christmas mess is the same -- just more high tech!

Posted by: coolchick at December 26, 2007 12:23 PM

I was wondering about the mysterious bumblebee toy. Glad it all worked out. My Christmas was good. Quiet, but good. Gave some great gifts, got some great gifts.

Happy to hear yours was good too.

Posted by: Fraulein N at December 26, 2007 12:33 PM

Well, that sounds lovely. I am super happy that Mia finally gets Christmas. My daughter, only slightly younger than her, still couldn't care less. Except for the Dora toys. She hearts all the Dora toys.

Ho Ho Ho!

Posted by: Mr Lady at December 26, 2007 1:35 PM

Merry Christmas!!

We had an enjoyable time and I got everything I wanted....and then some!!

We drove up to Georgetown for the 2nd year in a row to eat at Mr. Smith's. They make a very good reuben sandwich and I wanted it again this year. We took a wrong turn (into hell) and ended up God knows where, good thing the GPS was in the car, othewise we'd probably still be driving around DC.

Then hubby took the wrong exit that was suppose to take us into VA, but took us back down into DC and the throng of cars driving past the White House...grrrrrr....then made another wrong turn/wrong exit to end up where we made the wrong turn coming into DC. Kinda of ironic now that I think of it, but last night it certainly wasn't.

Glad you figured out the bumblebee, what was it?

Posted by: been there, done that at December 26, 2007 1:56 PM

Christmas was grand. I just spend 2 hours this morning putting together The Boys Lego castle. (Amazing thing it is. He has spent the last two hours playing with it.) So, it's a good thing.

I got spoiled with a new MacBook. (You look lovely on it.)

But it was a nice happy day. :)

Posted by: Nat at December 26, 2007 2:10 PM

Aside from having no hot water and had a shard of glass (a tad thicker than hair, 0.5 cm long) stuck in my foot, our Christmas was great. Not a lot of presents but we had good food and great company. :)

Can hardly wait to see your pictures!

Posted by: oakley at December 26, 2007 2:14 PM

I could have just given you Michael's menegarie of little people. He never plays with them.

Glad Christmas was good, and Mia stayed healthy this year. It's all because you didn't let Michael come over.

Posted by: jodi at December 26, 2007 4:37 PM

Merry Christmas - I just finish enjoying a marathon session of playing with Little People - Little People castle, playground, farm, house, and pirate ship. I think I had more fun than she did 'cause she snuck off on me mid playing to play her new Little Leaps video games with daddy. Little People are so cool!

Posted by: Mom On The Run at December 26, 2007 4:51 PM

Mine was fantastic, thanks for asking. :)

The cousins and I suddenly craved tater tots for Christmas dinner. After a failed attempt to find them at an Eastern European market that was open on Christmas day I drove back home, dug through Gram's freezer, and found an entire bag -- unopened -- of tater tots! We feasted.

Posted by: Poppy at December 26, 2007 5:10 PM

PS - Photo of bumblebee toy? When you've recovered. Hope you chose the nap, because the coffee will just make you grumpy and tired instead of only tired.

Posted by: Poppy at December 26, 2007 5:14 PM

Just think, next year you'll get to spend Christmas with a toddler and a NEW loaf of bread. Yay!

Our Christmas was lovely, but it went by way too quickly. It seems like just yesterday it was Halloween and I was complaining about the decorations being up way too early. Now I'm thinking, "wait, it's over? already?"

Posted by: Hope at December 26, 2007 7:12 PM

I can imagine it was a lot more fun THIS Christmas than the past few years! I'm glad to hear it went so well. :)

Posted by: Zandria at December 26, 2007 8:48 PM

Hope you went for the nap! Glad you all had a good day.

Posted by: Sphincter at December 26, 2007 10:43 PM

Hooray for a healthy Christmas!

My husband and I went to my parents' house on Christmas Eve and opened presents there with my brother and sister and their significant others. On Christmas Day, we quietly opened our gifts to each other (with the cats), and then headed back over to my parents' house for dinner and gift-opening by my 7-month-old niece. She was a little more interested in the gift-opening than a loaf of bread... and the Playskool cell phone that we got her was the hit of all the toys she got.

Santa was good to me and brought me some jewelry, a digital photo frame, and iPod Nano... in addition to Post-Its and Sharpies in my stocking (I have a small obsession with them...).

Glad to hear yours was a smooth success as well!

Posted by: ironic1 at December 26, 2007 11:09 PM

Christmas seems to become more exhausting and demanding as they get older. It was great, but over so quickly. All that work...

Just think, next year you'll have another loaf of bread to celebrate with. Have fun with your Little People universe. But first, take a nap.

Posted by: Nila at December 27, 2007 2:58 AM

I actually was wondering whether you (er, Santa) found the right bumblebee toy!

Santa brought me some new luggage and brought my family a Wii. Actually, I think my dad just bought the Wii for himself, but didn't want to seem all greedy about it, so claimed it is also a gift to my mom... and to my brother and me who both live 5.5 hours away.

Posted by: Stephanie at December 27, 2007 10:40 AM

This must have been the year for Little People. We now own about a million!

Posted by: Isabel at December 27, 2007 12:18 PM

It's awesome when they get the groove of Xmas, eh? Holly Jolly (belatedly) to you all!

Posted by: Aimee Greeblemonkey at December 28, 2007 9:31 PM