December 11, 2007

Dear Santa

On Sunday evening, Mia wrote a letter to Santa. Although, to be completely honest, she dictated and I wrote. Here's what it said:

Dear Santa,

Hello in the North Pole. How are your reindeer? I have been a very good girl this year. I would like a bumblebee toy, please. And a carrot please. And some food, please. And another bumblebee toy, please. And I would like a decoration, please. And another decoration.

Thank you Santa. And also Merry Christmas.

Love, Mia

Santa can deduce several things from this:
  • Our daughter is uber-polite. I am polite. Beth is polite. Neither of us believe there is any excuse to be anything but polite. Clearly whatever we're doing to instill this in our daughter is working. Yay us.
  • Mia gets the whole Santa story. She's got the reindeer thing down and understands that Santa lives in the North Pole. Of course, yesterday Mia told us that the North Pole was in her playroom. Conceptually we still have a little work to do.
  • Our daughter wants a bumblebee toy. This is a clearly established fact despite that the origins or physical manifestations of said bumblebee toy aren't as clearly established. We've still got no clue so we're just planning on guessing.
  • Mia likes carrots. This is not entirely true. As a matter of fact, it's blatantly false. She asks for carrots because rabbits and horses like carrots. When we get her a carrot she makes us eat them.
  • We starve our daughter. Asking Santa for food is pretty pathetic. But I assure you (and you too Santa if you're reading) we do feed our daughter. Whether or not she eats what we give her is another matter entirely.
  • Decorating the tree and the house was a big hit. I'm pretty much convinced that, given enough decorations, Mia would decorate the entire neighborhood. You guys need any decorating done? I know w two-year old who could use the cash.

Yesterday afternoon, Mia finally got a chance to meet Santa "in the flesh". She talked about nothing else the remainder of the day.

Posted by Chris at December 11, 2007 6:30 AM
Comments

You've made me wish I was back in time when my boys were that age.

LOVE the ponytails! What an adorable picture especially since she is not crying. I have several of the boys pushing at Santa and screaming.

Posted by: DebbieDoesLife at December 11, 2007 7:02 AM

We've had similar situations with requests (to your bumblebee toy) in the past, and it's always been something specific and tangible that she's seen somewhere.

I have one idea that is a possibility: Parents magazine has a toy marketing arm which (at least last winter it was there, and I think I saw it in Target in Buffalo) sells a musical instrument set themed around insects. The maraca is a bumblebee. Is it possible that Mia was at a friend's house, or maybe a mommy and me music class, where she saw and/or used this? It looks like a rattle sort of, but is clearly a bee. (If you and Beth think this may be it, let me know and I can send you an image of it to show to Mia.)

Alternatively, you could do what we did: phase 1 was a web search on common toy websites... we collected images and then showed them to our daughter. In cases where that failed, we hit the local Toys R Us and let her roam.

Good luck, and love the photo.

Posted by: SciFi Dad at December 11, 2007 7:09 AM

Did you take her to see a midget Santa? or is he just sitting on a really big couch?

Posted by: ktjrdn at December 11, 2007 8:22 AM

Great picture.

Maybe her wanting carrots is code that she wants a pony.

Posted by: william at December 11, 2007 8:29 AM

Great picture.

Maybe her wanting carrots is code that she wants a pony.

Posted by: william at December 11, 2007 8:29 AM

Aww, that picture is adorable. Thats even a nice looking Santa...real beard?

No ideas about the bumblebee toy- good luck, hopefully she will be so excited with her other gifts that she wont remember about the bumblebee!

Posted by: Lisa at December 11, 2007 8:31 AM

AAAAHHHHH, I just want to eat her up!!!! A beautiful picture, thanx for sharing

Posted by: Dawn at December 11, 2007 8:32 AM

OMG!! Blind from the extreme cuteness!

Posted by: Gwen at December 11, 2007 8:44 AM

omg she is so adorable. Like an angel.

Posted by: Poppy at December 11, 2007 9:01 AM

Awwww! I love love LOVE her face in that picture. Being good for Santa is serious business, as Mia clearly understands.

(Mia asking Santa for a carrot reminds me of when my niece was that age and asked Santa for a shirt. A SHIRT, like my sister wasn't properly clothing her or something.)

Posted by: Fraulein N at December 11, 2007 9:15 AM

Very cute pic, btw. And a thought on the carrots. We've always done the traditional cookies and milk out for Santa - and carrots for the reindeer. Eating the milk and cookies, no big deal. The carrot was always my responsibility. I gnaw on it leaving just a little bit with teeth marks. It gets them every year - because really? Anyone would eat the cookies, but it takes the cool mom to gnaw the carrots LOL.

Posted by: Sharon at December 11, 2007 9:17 AM

Posted by: Sharon at December 11, 2007 9:17 AM

God Damn, your kid is cute!

Our Santa experience went well too, with no crying at all this year.

Oh, and by the way... our daughter wants a purple diamond for Christmas. After we hired a Private Investigator, we came to find out that she likes the purple, wooden, diamond block from pre-school that came with a "shapes" set from forever ago. I seriously might be making a wooden diamond block this year and painting it purple.

Posted by: Brad at December 11, 2007 9:24 AM

I love this! Hee hee hee This is going to be a great memory! She is SO adorable! AND I love Santa's boots! This is the best looking Santa I have seen in a long time!

EVERY time I took my daughter...we had the screaming fits and red face and the cute outfit and hair perfect...screaming child...guilt that you have ruined them for life, especially when you tell them NOT to talk to strangers and then put them on a strange mans lap to talk! She would always pee on him! LOL Twisted!

Posted by: gypsy at December 11, 2007 9:54 AM

If you're ever in need of extra cash, I do believe you could rent Mia to the American Girl company as a model for their next doll.

Posted by: Candy at December 11, 2007 10:13 AM

The world's most beautiful child strikes again...

Posted by: Aurora at December 11, 2007 10:32 AM

Perhaps shes associating the carrots with feeding the reindeers? My daughter leaves carrots out with the cookies a milk on Xmas eve so Santa can feed the reindeer. Also, the Bee Movie came out not long ago, so you should be able to find a bumble bee toy a little easier.

P.S. The picture is adorable!!

Posted by: Hollie at December 11, 2007 10:38 AM

What an adorable picture!!! She is beautiful! If she wants to come decorate, I have about 15 boxes of decorations and no time to do it myself...she's welcome to come help or do it all.

Posted by: Krush at December 11, 2007 10:43 AM

The whole Christmas season has got to be completely stimulating for little kids. I remember that every strand of lights in our house was met with awe and wonder by our sons. Every tree. Every scrap of wrapping paper. Every snowman ornament. I miss it more than you know.

Posted by: Anastasia Beaverhausen at December 11, 2007 10:54 AM

at least she's consistent with the whole bumblebee toy thing, eh? even if you don't know what it is...ha!

Posted by: ali at December 11, 2007 11:01 AM

OMG so cute. Even when My Kid was that age, I don't think he got into it quite this much. So hilarious that she asked for food. Kids, go figure.

Posted by: kalisah at December 11, 2007 11:11 AM

Mia looks... confused?? I don't know. At least she's not screaming. I would always scream.
I love her pretty little dress and shoes though.

Posted by: Cassandra at December 11, 2007 1:10 PM

I'm also asking Santa for food.

Posted by: She Likes Purple at December 11, 2007 1:23 PM

Perhaps the food and carrot are for the bumblebee toys? We should view this letter as a trove of clues as to the nature of the bumblebee toy...

Posted by: GreenCanary at December 11, 2007 2:08 PM

Now, if this were one of my kids, the Bumble-Bee in question would be the yellow Chevy Camaro Transformer. Or possibly a to for our puppy who is named for said yellow Chevy Camaro Transformer.

Posted by: OddMix at December 11, 2007 2:15 PM

Man, she's losing her baby looks and turning into such a stunning young lady :) You guys must beam every time you look at her.

Good job, cactus fish genes!

Posted by: Tonya at December 11, 2007 2:19 PM

That's the cutest thing I've seen all day...maybe all week!

Posted by: Cindy at December 11, 2007 2:31 PM

I'm jealous. Your photographer had a clue about centering a camera. We did the Santa thing yesterday too and Button nearly got cropped out of her own picture.

Posted by: Amy at December 11, 2007 2:35 PM

What a sweet note! You've clearly raised a lovely, polite daughter. Kudos!

Posted by: Hope at December 11, 2007 2:42 PM

LOVE the Santa pic!!! (What is she reaching for, out of view? Or is she just holding on to the armrest of the chair?)

Funny, but I arrived at the same things you did by reading Mia's letter to Santa. Hey, at least you've raised a polite kid -- that's something of a rarity in today's society! Bravo!

Posted by: ironic1 at December 11, 2007 4:46 PM

Dear Santa,

Please give Mia everything her little girl heart desires.

Thank you very much!
Kristy

Posted by: Kristy at December 11, 2007 4:49 PM

Awww, great picture. She looks so grown up.

My kids are always trying to get money out of Santa. I tell them that Santa elves aren't allowed to print money or they would get thrown in jail.

Posted by: Leilani at December 11, 2007 5:06 PM

Oh man, that cuteness is almost unbearable. How can you stand it? I think you should donate some of that spare cuteness to all us people who live in uncute world. That sounds fair.

You know, they've been advertising The Bee movie a lot. Maybe she saw some happy meal toy commercial?

Posted by: Tink at December 11, 2007 5:48 PM

I am delurking to see if this helps. I just bought my daughter this for christmas maybe its the bumblebee toy Mia is asking for. http://www.amazon.com/Hasbro-34888-Playskool-Honeybee-Hop/dp/B000OVAHLM

Good Luck

Posted by: Summer at December 11, 2007 6:16 PM

Bumblebee toy = something from "Bee Movie," maybe?

Posted by: Stephanie at December 11, 2007 7:56 PM

I'm just impressed that she isn't crying in that picture or looking utterly frightened. Yay!

Posted by: angela marie at December 11, 2007 8:11 PM

The letter and the picture are just too cute!! Again, good luck with finding the bumble bee toy!

Posted by: Colleen at December 11, 2007 9:44 PM

I love that picture to pieces. She is looking a little on the toddler thin size, Chris. :P

Posted by: Peggy at December 11, 2007 11:13 PM

just way too cute. :-)

Posted by: Amy at December 12, 2007 12:59 AM

Oh my god, is there anything cuter than that!!! I don't think so!
Lucky Daddy and Mommy to have such sweetness in a child. Better watch out, Wally may be a little hellion!

Posted by: Maribeth at December 12, 2007 7:42 AM

Am dying from the cuteness!!! The picture actually brought back some lovely Christmas memories of my own :)

Posted by: Sue at December 12, 2007 10:27 AM

I swear - every time that you or Beth mention the bumblebee toy that cannot be found, I can't help but flashing back to "Best in Show". Remember that movie? Has Mia seen this movie? :-D

Posted by: kate at December 12, 2007 3:09 PM

lol, oh how cute. My niece just went through the same thing with my eldest great nephew and sending an email to Santa. For your amusement, I'll paste his letter here for you:

Dear Santa,
Thank you for the reindeer and bringing presents on Christmas. I wish for a toy train and a toy car. I also wish for my daddy, mommy and baby Cade to have good health for a long time. My mommy says she wishes the same for me! Santa, please be safe and careful on Christmas Eve, because you have a long beard!!!
Love,
Jake

(The long beard thing is killing me.)

Posted by: Teenuh at December 12, 2007 5:46 PM

My mom kept one letter I wrote to Santa. Looking back, years later, I think it's one of the funniest things she ever could have done.

I, however, would not sit in Santa's lap. Ever. Mia is a rockstar. :o)

Posted by: Emily at December 13, 2007 3:27 PM

Chris, she is such a beautiful girl !

Posted by: jenn at December 15, 2007 8:15 AM

Chris, she is such a beautiful girl !

Posted by: jenn at December 15, 2007 8:15 AM

People all over the world get the loans from different creditors, just because this is comfortable.

Posted by: Daniels26Kitty at July 29, 2010 9:31 PM