December 28, 2007

The Yearlies

Can you believe that another year has passed? It seems like just yesterday (or, a few weeks ago at most) that I was talking about how quickly 2006 flew. Anyway, it's that time again...

The Yearly Books: It's damn near impossible for me to come up with a single title that represents the best of what I've read this year. But there's a shortlist.

If forced at gunpoint to name the one book I felt was the best out of this group, I'd go with Steep Approach To Garbadale or, perhaps The Road. But that decision would neglect the brilliant and funny The Rabbit Factory or the incredibly developed The Winter of Frankie Machine. And I wouldn't want to imply that the richly detailed Little America or the quirky and overtly truthful This Book Will Save Your Life didn't rise to the occasion either. These ten are all wonderful. And I urge you to check them out.

The Yearly Schadenfreude: There can be no doubt - Britney. The only thing we didn't get out of her in 2007 was a sex tape. Thank god.

The Yearly Beverage: Vitamin Water.

The Yearly Music: This year produced two almost flawless albums - Foo Fighters' Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace and Bruce Springsteen's Magic. But the best and most overlooked album of the year is Great Lakes Myth Society's Compass Rose Bouquet. It's an album chock full of goodness and originality rarely seen in music today. Honorable mention to Porcupine Tree's Fear of a Blank Planet and the Robert Plant/Alison Krauss collaboration Raising Sand.

The Yearly People: 2007 was the Year Of The Little People. I have a hunch 2008 will be too.

The Yearly Asshat: There are so many. I'll just stick with perennial favorite George Bush.

The Yearly Questions: What is your resolution for 2008? And what are your bests and worsts of 2007?

Posted by Chris at December 28, 2007 8:30 AM
Comments

Not a big resolutions maker... if I do make them, they're buried and forgotten by about the third week of January!

Best of 2007? Definitely the new job. Very small office atmosphere, with a great group of caring, helping, always happy to see you co-workers. That and a raise at 90 days that puts me just shy of what I was making at the last place who fired me.

Other bests would be just keeping the sanity in check while being out of work for seven months, which wasn't easy; and my father finding happiness again after loosing my mom in 2005. A worst to that would be having to extract myself from his life during those seven months mentioned above. Very hard to do, especially when I asked for financial help and was told a flat no.

Worst would probably be being out of work for seven months and the struggle that goes with that (between my husband and I, we were collectively unemployed for 11 months).

Overall, I just want 2007 to disappear. It's been a very long year. Wow, wrote a book! Sorry!

Here's to a great 2008 and all that comes your way!

Posted by: Michelle at December 28, 2007 8:55 AM

Best of 2007:
New kittens! Old kittens! Lots of kittens! Since I don't have kids, they are what I focus on. Oh, and have a wonderful delightful husband who bought me a new house AND got me a new kitten (the aforementioned one, not another!) for Christmas. And, finding out that I only have two years left in school instead of two and a half or three.

Worst of 2007: Being in school, working a full-time job, buying a new house, planning a medium-sized run/walk, and being in a wedding all at the same time. Each individual part was awesome and I'm grateful to have been able to participate in each, but together they left me drained. Seriously drained.

Resolution for 2008: Less stress! Move into the new house! Sell the old house!

Posted by: Arwen at December 28, 2007 8:59 AM

The Yearly Schadenfreude: Wait! Flashing her girl bits doesn't fall into that category? It was rather p*rnographic.
The Yearly Beverage: I discovered Vitamin Water this year too.

The Yearly Asshat: I'm going to go with Michael Vic.

The Yearly Questions
Best: My new camera.
Worst: The insomnia, the stress, and long hours (2,763.75 as of yesterday).
Resolutions:
Spend more time with my camera (This will improve my photo skills, will be my excercise and make me happy.)
Spend less time at the office. (This will help me be more paitent and tolerant and reduce stress. I hope.)

Have a Happy New Year!

Posted by: Maria at December 28, 2007 9:23 AM

I don't really make resolutions. Seriously lame as I am, I don't have many vices. I can't afford to lose weight, I exercise regularly, I eat healthfully, I don't smoke, not much of a drinker - my Starbucks habit is all I have left, and I still like it, so... This year, what I'm doing is saving ALL my change in a big huge "jar". Then, at the end of the year, I want to count it up and do something special as a family with it - who knows how much $ it will be - maybe we just go out to dinner, maybe we go on a small trip. Depends on if I save more quarters than pennies, I suppose.

This year's best...

Beverage: Coke Zero, though I really need to drink more water (yes, that is a potential resolution, but shhhhhhh...).

Yearly Music: Hard to pick one - it's been amazing year finding artists that have been around awhile that I never heard of. Though I'm only a few days into it, I'm really liking the new Eagles' cd. (I've really heard mixed reactions about it- so it's obviously a matter of preference).

Yearly Reads: I've read a lot this year, as I do every year. Wish I could say that something stood out for me - but right now I can't think of any.

Yearly Asshat - Bush is always on that list for me.

Mostly, I'm really ready for 2008- This has been a freakin' hard year for me - with two deaths in the family, the loss of a really close friend (not to death but to an avoidable argument that spiraled into the friendship just fading). Every December, I start thinking of "A Long December" by Counting Crows, and in January, I bank on the hope that "there is reason to believe maybe this year will be better than the last."

Ah, I'm so perky today.

Posted by: sarah at December 28, 2007 9:38 AM

I've not read any of those books. I have a stack of 10 staring at me saying, "why don't you love me enough to read me?!" so for now I won't add anymore. (They're very loud and whiny.)

On your advice I have just purchased that Foo Fighters album.

You asked two questions so I'll only answer one: I resolve to take better care of myself in all ways one takes care of oneself. That way I'm sure to at least partially meet the goal.

Posted by: Poppy at December 28, 2007 9:40 AM

A Britney sex tape is only a matter of time. Especially now that little Jamie-Lynn has stolen the spot light....Besides, I am sure its already been made, its just locked up somewhere

Posted by: Darren at December 28, 2007 10:18 AM

My resolution is to get to the gym more than zero times a week.

Best: the birth of my 2nd son and that my 3 yr old is potty trained

Worst: not going to think about it, why bother?

Here's to a happy & healthy new year!

Posted by: Danielle at December 28, 2007 10:27 AM

The worst of 2007? My divorce. The best of 2007? Learning to take care of myself.

My resolution for 2008 is to continue this trend I have going of spending more time with friends, old or new, eating healthier, laughing more, and worrying less. Life, I'm realizing, doesn't follow a set path. It is what you make of it, and I'm enjoying exploring the possibilities.

Posted by: Emily at December 28, 2007 10:57 AM

My resolution for 2008 = To lose weight. LOL Always!

Worst moment? When Hubby's former girlfriend showed up.
Best moment? When she left!

Posted by: Maribeth at December 28, 2007 11:00 AM

I can't think of anything I want to change in my life that requires a resolution. I think I'm just going to keep working at photography until I get good at SOMEthing within that field.

Last year, my resolution was to take a picture every day. I did it, and I'm proud of it... but this year was mostly snapshots... I'm going to do 52 weekly pictures next year with the goal of capturing something interesting. I guess that's my resolution.

How about you? Got anything planned?

Posted by: Brad at December 28, 2007 11:01 AM

I read The Road and the heart truly swooned. Their was the line spoken by the father about his son, "If he is not the word of God, than God has never spoken." I was in tears. I had to flip to the back of the book to see if the son lived or not before I could continue. How amazing that McCormac could capture love with such stark and silent interchanges between the two characters. That book made me want to hold my children tighter, love them longer, live more true.
Nice list.

Posted by: Kelly at December 28, 2007 11:44 AM

I read The Road and the heart truly swooned. There was the line spoken by the father about his son, "If he is not the word of God, than God has never spoken." I was in tears. I had to flip to the back of the book to see if the son lived or not before I could continue. How amazing that McCormac could capture love with such stark and silent interchanges between the two characters. That book made me want to hold my children tighter, love them longer, live more true.
Nice list.

Posted by: Kelly at December 28, 2007 11:44 AM

off topic...
I would love to see your reviews of some of the books you listed in the "yearlies"; I see you didn't add the indepth review in GoodReads... is there a way to search your site to find those topics? specifically, I'm interested in knowing what you said about The Road and Flight.
thanks!
Lisa

Posted by: Lisa at December 28, 2007 12:08 PM

The Yearly Beverage: Gotta love Vitamin Water! Of course, my favorite is a cross between that and my vice of 7-Eleven hot chocolate in the mornings. It is a hot beverage and chocolate all rolled into one. Perfect way to face the day.

The best of this year was definitely graduating with my sp-ed degree and beginning my teaching career (my second career). It is rewarding beyond belief. Infinitely more so than crunching numbers.

The worst of the year is the realization that my daughter is growing up quickly and has left behind the world of Little People for text messaging and Guitar Hero and My Space. She just doesn't need me as much as she used to (or so she thinks). It scares me to realize that my road as a full time parent will come to an end in a little more than 4 years. WOW.

Yearly Schadenfreude: The Spears Family. Period. What role models!

Have a great new year!

Posted by: Tara at December 28, 2007 12:17 PM

Love the lists, and now I have more books I want to read. :)

As for resolutions, I haven't made one in forever, but I would love to get rid of clutter and keep it that way, and eat healthier.

Posted by: ash at December 28, 2007 12:18 PM

My resolution is to start a book club and read your list of books. Thanks and happy new year.

Posted by: chantel at December 28, 2007 1:21 PM

Trying to not think much about 2007.

Happy New Year to all of you. It can't come soon enough for me.

Posted by: ann adams at December 28, 2007 1:50 PM

Please don't mention Britney and a sex tape again. She might read your blog and decides 2007 still has 3 more days to make a sex tape.

Happy New Year to you & your wonderful family!

Posted by: Nadine at December 28, 2007 2:54 PM

I clicked on the "Little People" link (I don't have kids and am apparently out of the toy loop as I had no idea what "Little People" were)...and the website! It is loud! And musical! And it scared the crap out of my cat.

The End. :)

Posted by: Allison at December 28, 2007 6:30 PM

My 2008 resolution is to work on the things that make me less of an awesome person than I have the potential for (jeez, try to diagram that sentence). My best moment was meeting the guy that I want to spend the rest of my life with and the worst moment was him breaking up with me a few days ago. No worries, though, because we're trying to work it out, hence the 2008 resolution!

Posted by: Stephanie at December 28, 2007 11:17 PM

We had a lot of people die in 2007. That sucked.

The best was the pregnancy. New life is a good thing, even if it's just a fetus.

As for resolutions, they never pan out, but I hope to be less of a procrastinator. But maybe I'll wait on that until next year.

Posted by: Nila at December 29, 2007 11:01 PM

Resolution for 2008-declutter and get my house done. [painted, new wood flooring, etc] Finding a new job though is priority one.

Best of 2007-It was an overall good year.
Worst of 2007-I quit a good job for what I thought was a better job only to find out it has been the WORST experience of my life.

Posted by: kimmyk at December 30, 2007 10:05 AM

Can I get an "Amen" for the Foo Fighters album??? Could listen to it all day, every day...

Posted by: Liz at December 30, 2007 11:23 PM

No resolutions. I never keep them, and it just depresses me.

Posted by: Cassandra at December 30, 2007 11:32 PM

my resolution is to not make resolutions... it's been working for me the past couple of years. i have to laugh at your Year of The Little People declaration... my house will be Little People Free in 2008! we just packed up no less than 100 little people along with animals, barns, circus's, cars and trucks, zoos, parks, trains, bus's, garages, firehouse's and fences.

my best album of the year (you're gonna be so tired of hearing this from me til you go out and get it!) Sawdust from The Killers.

Posted by: monique at December 31, 2007 11:18 AM

You do realize that if it wasn't for Bush you would have Cheney for President. God help us we would all get shot then!

Posted by: Jeff A at December 31, 2007 1:04 PM

I love that you list your top 10 books of the year when I'll be lucky if I read that many in total.

Happy new year!

Posted by: laura at January 3, 2008 5:35 PM

Hello,

My girlfriend came across your blog and directed me to it. Wow; we topped Springsteen? Thank you so kindly for the props.

Happy new year,
Greg / Great Lakes Myth Society

2008 resolutions:
1. To draw or paint a portrait every week.
2. To finish my record.

Best of 2007:
Playing with Patti Smith

Worst of 2007:
The passing of our van, Jeffine (The Ghost of the One-Legged Lady)

Posted by: Greg at January 8, 2008 7:26 PM

All people deserve good life and loan or just consolidation loan can make it better. Just because people's freedom is grounded on money state.

Posted by: Gillespie25Ilene at April 8, 2010 10:39 PM