December 17, 2007

T-Minus Five Days...And Counting

Sweet mother of all things good and holy I sincerely hope against all hope that this week is far less ape-shit crazy than the last. I'm not sure I could take another week like that one. Even if the week does blow up into five days of uncontrollable mania, there's a light at the end of the tunnel. As of Friday I'll be on vacation until 2008.

This weekend was moderately laid back. Things were done to the house - outside Christmas decorations put up, a little electrical work was done, and a new faucet installed in a bathroom. And then there were more entertaining things. I finished one book and started another. We caught up on what TiVo had recorded - precious little, and we scraped the bottom of the barrel watching a couple episodes of Private Practice. And I downloaded a ton of Christmas music and loaded up the family iPods for the holidays. Other than that? Laziness. I answered only a few emails, posted nothing, read virtually no blogs, took no photographs and I'm pretty sure I only left the house once (destination - Home Depot and Trader Joe's).

And now it is early, cold and dark but the holidays are rapidly approaching and with them come vacation.

What are your plans for the holidays? Are you traveling? If so, where? Bonus points for the most exotic locations and/or plans.

(Oh, and yeah, that's really all I got this morning. Sorry if you were hoping for something entertaining.)

Posted by Chris at December 17, 2007 6:37 AM
Comments

I too am just waiting for the end of the week and i DO have to work next week!
I'm afraid nothing exotic for me, christmas lunch is at our house with my mum, auntie, neice and nanna-in-law!

My niece is 19 and then its 63, 73 and 89!

Boy are we gonna have fun!

Posted by: Pol at December 17, 2007 7:37 AM

You mean you didn't see any of that huge storm?

Posted by: SciFi Dad at December 17, 2007 7:42 AM

I'm travelling down the street then to a town about 20 minutes away. I may mix it up and reverse the order.

Dullsville, I await thee.

Posted by: Poppy at December 17, 2007 8:45 AM

Mele Kalikimaka, dude! We head to Maui on Wednesday for the holiday! We have never been and are very excited. Declan is OUT OF HIS MIND excited, I might add. I think we have given him our travel bug.

So, Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah, y'all!

Posted by: Aimee Greeblemonkey at December 17, 2007 8:50 AM

I'm going to Royal Troon on Saturday to pick up my father-in-law for Christmas. That would be quite interesting were it not for the fact that I live in Edinburgh so it is in fact only an hour or so away. Other than that, Christmas at our house. And I too am on holiday from Friday until 2008. In theory, at least.

Posted by: Loth at December 17, 2007 8:56 AM

Sounds like a perfectly lovely weekend!?

No plans for the holidays, thankfully nothing exotic (which would require travel and UGH this time of year...)just going to eat myself into a coma, enjoy watching my son enjoying every moment of Christmas (including meeting the big guy in red and seeing his train table on xmas morning that he so desperately wants that he asks for from every Santa that he sees including blow up Santa's in Menard's...), and really just doing as little as possible. We have the week off as well so I am TOTALLY looking forward to that as well!

Posted by: Christina at December 17, 2007 8:57 AM

Leaving on Sunday for 3 weeks in Thailand & Cambodia. Out of my skin with excitement, yet the hours seem to be DRAGGING!

Happy Holidays! ~K

Posted by: GranolaSpice at December 17, 2007 9:29 AM

I am also off after Friday through the end of the year! I love my job, but I am really, really looking forward to 11 work-free days in a row. No travelling, but my brother is coming home so I'm going to see him a lot before he moves all the way to Oregon.

Now, off to start another day full of meetings!

Posted by: bad penguin at December 17, 2007 9:31 AM

I too am off Friday through the end of the year! We are headed to the exotic locale of Williamsburg VA for the holidays since both sets of 'rents live there. And Aunts, Uncles, cousins, grandmother, etc...

Posted by: Sue at December 17, 2007 9:55 AM

I had an equally low-key weekend! Raked/mowed some leaves, wrapped gifts, hunkered down for the ice storm that never came.

Unfortunately, I've used up my quota of exotic locales this year (went to Greece, Egypt and Turkey in September). Christmas this year will be in Baltimore at my in-laws. I'll wave as we cruise through NoVA Friday evening. If we get especially daring we'll go to Atlantic City for a day of gambling!

Posted by: jaime at December 17, 2007 9:56 AM

Christmas here (both on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day) with both sides of the family. Then...on the 27th...New York, baby! Just us and the kids. Can't wait.

Posted by: Anastasia Beaverhausen at December 17, 2007 9:58 AM

I am traveling to El Paso, TX from Dallas. I have at least a 10 hour drive ahead of me, but at least I will be home with my family for the holidays.

Posted by: Elizabeth at December 17, 2007 10:17 AM

I am doing a little cleaning inside the house and snow shoveling outside the house. I also need to make up the baskets to bring to the Post Office, Veterinarian and my shut ins. Lotsa cookies and our own home grown apples!

Posted by: Maribeth at December 17, 2007 10:19 AM

I am joining the masses of folk who are on vacation until January of 2008. There will be plenty of sitting on my ass, shopping the post-holiday sales, getting together with friends, and more sitting on my ass. No exotic trips for me, except perhaps a side trip to Chicago to see the in-laws. Woo.

I'm just beside myself with joy that I do not have to go back to work until Jan. 7, 2007!

Posted by: ironic1 at December 17, 2007 10:31 AM

i had tons of plans for the holidays but then i went and had a baby earlier than planned. :) i'll happily give up my previous engagements to stay home with her and the big brother. enjoy your vacay!

Posted by: b. at December 17, 2007 11:02 AM

Going to big Momma's on Eve, doing the whole Mom/Christmas thing, then coming home and going back to work on the 26th. Whoo whee, life in the fast lane.

Posted by: Amy at December 17, 2007 11:03 AM

i am hoping and crossing my fingers that we get up to our condo in the mountains this weekend... there i will partake in some serious hot cocoa sipping in front of the fire. and maybe some snowboarding or a trip out with the snowshoes. this past weekend was spent coaxing the old dog outside through the snow to 'do his bizness' and watching the Pats extend their win streak. (have you picked up Sawdust yet?)

Posted by: monique at December 17, 2007 11:30 AM

My weekend was spent TRYING to kick this bug - despite how much like hooey I felt, I still left my kids at home with the husband and went to the mall (ACK) and **FINISHED MY CHRISTMAS SHOPPING**. I didn't even stop for lunch (aside from the two gingerbread lattes consumed while I was out). Yay me.

No wild and crazy Christmas plans - we stay close to home, travelling only 5 miles to my mom's house to celebrate with the whole fam on Christmas day. I'll spend Christmas Eve day working on my ONE Christmas tradition - making monkey bread with my kids that we'll eat for breakfast on Christmas morning...

Posted by: Sarah at December 17, 2007 11:37 AM

Saturday night I'm on the red-eye back to VA for a week. Not terribly exotic I'm afraid. Though this is the first time I've flown red eye and on the super hip Virgin America. Such an experience! I know how to live it up. :D

Posted by: pea at December 17, 2007 11:42 AM

Downloaded a ton of music? I don't see anything there about payment for said ton of music?

Ooooohh, you in big trouble!

That reminds me, I only have one Christmas song on my mp3 player, I need to remedy that.

Posted by: Jeff A at December 17, 2007 11:54 AM

My hubby took off two weeks for Christmas. Next week will be spent watching movies, playing games and lots of relaxing around the house.

I'm heading back to Johnstown, PA solo the following weekend to checkup on my Mom and visit with family. She should get her Halo Brace off on 12/27.

Posted by: Diane at December 17, 2007 12:00 PM

Having the folks in from out of town to host my first ever Christmas. I'm VERY excited! Stockings are stuffed, presents under the tree, food has been purchased, we are READY!

Posted by: Dirka at December 17, 2007 12:38 PM

No prize for me, staying HOME in rainy Oregon, for the first time in 21 years. Yup, been traveling to be with family on one side or the other for more than half my life, and I am SICK of it. They are coming to me this year, or not at all! I know it's not glamorous, but it will be NICE.

Posted by: Aurora at December 17, 2007 1:00 PM

No traveling for me, and I continue to make that very high on my list of things I'm thankful for. Christmas morning is at my house now, includes 8 or more very cheery and awesome people, and has quickly become my favorite family tradition.

Good luck on tying up some ends before you abandon the office. Don't worry, the work will wait for you to get back. It always does.

Posted by: Brad at December 17, 2007 1:03 PM

I too am taking the week off next week...that's been my plan all year long, but then I went interviewing...and now my plan has changed...I'll still be taking vacation next week, but I will be leaving this job and moving into a new one as of January 2nd. w00t!!! closer to home so no more 2 hour commute (one way) twice a day!!! Now it will be more like 15 minutes (longer in the morning because I have to drop the baby off.

Posted by: lilfootsmommy at December 17, 2007 1:48 PM

My vacation actually started Friday morning right after I made a quick stop at the university to turn in the last term paper of the semester. I am not enjoying your blog from the warmth of a lovely house in Denmark. :)

Thankfully the week is already in full swing and you will be on your vacation soon enough!!

Posted by: Jennie at December 17, 2007 5:15 PM

I meant 'now' not 'not' in my post. Your blog is quite interesting and I rather enjoy it. :)

Posted by: Jennie at December 17, 2007 5:16 PM

not particularly exotic, but we head to hawaii on wednesday for xmas. I only have two rules about christmas: 1) we go away and 2) we go somewhere we haven't been yet. voila. hawaii.

after that, there's a whirlwind new years, business launching & then the sundance film festival. home for three days and then hop a flight to taiwan.

Posted by: colleen at December 17, 2007 5:29 PM

First things first - what holiday music did you download? I'm at a loss but want to get in the holiday spirit. I'll need some cheery music for the six hour drive I'm embarking on this weekend. We'll be spending the holiday in exotic Oregon with the in-laws.

Posted by: Amaya at December 17, 2007 7:14 PM

Well I was supposed to have time off for the holidays but instead I got an incredible new job and work a short day on Christmas eve. And my sister who was supposed to work isn't. So our family is all traveling to our house for Christmas. This will be the first time that I will be hosting Christmas and not going home. Holy batman do I have lots to do to get prepared this week.

Posted by: Adi at December 17, 2007 8:59 PM

Posted by: Adi at December 17, 2007 8:59 PM

it must be something in the air. Last weeks was crazy and then week looks to be about the same. Ugh! I worked all weekend and will likely have to work the next. I am so tired (exhausted actually) that I can't read. I'm out of sorts when I can't read. Sucks!

My plan for the holiday is to stay home and not speak to anyone. Lately, I seem to be surrounded by people with the galloping stupids. :-) (Enough whining) I'll probably work a few hours Christmas Eve and the walk around Manhattan with my camera. Christmas Day I don't plan to leave my house as mentioned above. No bonus points for me..

Posted by: Maria at December 18, 2007 6:02 AM

My sister is coming to visit! It's the first time I've seen her in two years. The presents have been purchased and are wrapped. All we're missing are a few fa-la-las and some cider. :o)

Posted by: Emily at December 18, 2007 8:34 PM

Yay for vacation!! Just two more days.

Our Christmas plans? We're hosting a dinner party for 12. I have lost my mind.

Posted by: Nadine at December 20, 2007 6:13 AM