December 6, 2007

Ways In Which My Birthday Did Rock

• Beth and Mia decorated the house, cooked my favorite dinner (stuffed peppers, in case you're curious) and baked me a cake.
  • It snowed! It has snowed on four out of my last six birthdays. I'm originally from the south and the snow hasn't lost its novelty. Although the two hours it took me to get to work yesterday morning pretty much sucked beyond all reason.
  • But because it snowed, I left work early and worked from home for a while.
  • You guys - thanks for all those birthday wishes yesterday.
  • Behold the new iPod Touch.

The only downside to the whole birthday thing yesterday is the fact that Mia's caught the cold that's running rampant around here. She's pretty miserable but she's handling it well. What's frustrating is the fact that she's gotten the tissue and nose blowing things down as independent processes but hasn't yet put them together. So, snot everywhere. Oh, then theres the fact that I couldn't find my shoes this morning. I spent 20 minutes trying to locate them. Never did. And I missed the offramp to work. Like, the same ramp I've been taking for years (even before moving into the new house). It's very possible I'm losing my mind.

I know lots of people who have a tradition on their birthdays. You know - people who take the day off, people who go skydiving, people who go our for a fancy dinner. I don't really have a tradition. Do you?

Posted by Chris at December 6, 2007 7:50 AM
Comments

You are NOT going to believe it but yesterday was my birthday too! I am not revealing year born though! I'm glad your day was super.

Posted by: Debbie at December 6, 2007 8:05 AM

Your shoes are in the coat closet, and if you put them away yourself they wouldn't end up wherever I throw them when I need them out of the way. And wow, look, I am your mother. Damn.

Posted by: Mrs. Cactus at December 6, 2007 8:28 AM

Glad you had a good birthday. I don't really have any birthday traditions, except that I sleep in really late if I have the chance. Not that that's rare for me, anyway...

Posted by: Fraulein N at December 6, 2007 8:53 AM

No traditions really - but in my family birthdays have always been a big deal, so on my birthday I just expect to be treated like the queen I delude myself into thinking I am ;)

Awesome gift, btw. Mia kept it quiet all that time? My kid surely woulda blabbed.

Posted by: sarah at December 6, 2007 8:57 AM

I don't have a tradition. My daughter's birthday is in a week and she is making sure to have the day off and I can't understand that. I've always worked on my birthday...and with my job as an event planner that includes if it falls on a weekend. I hardly even notice when it goes by anymore...that could have to do with not liking this getting older thing tho.

Posted by: daisy at December 6, 2007 8:57 AM

Sounds like you had a wonderful b'day (aside from all the snot)... I have been itching to see what Beth/Mia had gotten you b/c she teased us all on her site...
hope your day gets better today, sounds like you shoudl start a tradition of day AFTER the b'day off (you know to play with your toys)

Posted by: Stephanie at December 6, 2007 9:12 AM

No traditions per say. We get a "free day" off for our birthdays from work so I usually do that. I guess we go to dinner at the same place every yr because it is my favorite, it is expensive and we only do it once a year. OH and I guess I always get the Oreo ice cream cake from Cold Stone. That would make these traditions now that I think about it. How BORING of me ;)

Posted by: Christina at December 6, 2007 9:29 AM

We started one a few years ago... we drive across the state and stay in a seedy casino/hotel, and go to a hockey game in St. Louis. I'm a big Blues fan and it's a great ticket. I'm also good luck for them. :)

Posted by: Brad at December 6, 2007 9:30 AM

We always go out to dinner, a place of the birthday person's choice. But other than that, nothing. Sad, eh?

Posted by: Claire at December 6, 2007 9:42 AM

I usually take a week vacation that includes my birthday because a) the day before my birthday is our anniversary, so there's lots to celebrate, b) it's in June so the weather is nice, and c) it's in the later, warm part of June but just before the rates at the beach skyrocket for the summer.

So it's usually party time at the beach!

Except for next year because (boo, hiss) there's a huge, multi-million dollar project going on at work and we've pretty much been told we can forget about any time off next summer.

Glad you had a nice one!

Posted by: Jeff St Real at December 6, 2007 9:52 AM

I would never take my birthday off work. That would deprive my work friends of the opportunity to take me out for lunch, and I wouldn't want to do that. I'm all thoughtful that way.

Happy belated birthday, Chris. And I like that other commenter's idea of taking the day after your birthday off to play with your new toys and sleep off any birthday-related excesses.

Posted by: alison at December 6, 2007 9:58 AM

That sounds like a great birthday! Pretty toy, too. Me likey.

My birthday tradition, which I stole from my older sister (who is 16 years older than both you and me, and still does this every year): Do a cartwheel. Just one a year, on your birthday. It's an awesome feeling, especially when you don't dislocate anything.

Posted by: SpaceCase at December 6, 2007 10:04 AM

My only tradition, if you want to call it that, is that I don't celebrate my birthday. I haven't since I was about nine.

I hope Mia is feeling better soon.

Posted by: Maria at December 6, 2007 10:25 AM

Stuffed peppers? Really? Because you are seriously started to freak me out. I think you might be my husband's long lost brother or at least a close cousin. Not only are you similar in your age, career, music choices, and sense of humor, but now you go and prove it by your favorite dish.

My hubby loves stuffed peppers. LOVES. In fact, he loves them so much, that I make them even though I am allergic to the peppers and the smell of them alone makes me want to start hurling. That is love. He particularly loves the jalapeno/cilantro sauce I make to go over them.

Posted by: Jen at December 6, 2007 10:34 AM

Cool gift!
I heard Mia was sick... poor baby. Hope she's feeling better soon, especially with Christmas coming!

Birthdays in our family it is traditional for the birthday person to choose dinner - whatever they want - homemade or eating out, doesn't matter. Then we just try and all get together and eat, drink and be merry! Oh, and no opening gifts until AFTER dinner. It builds the suspense. ;)

Posted by: sue at December 6, 2007 11:45 AM

Happy belated birthday!

My birthday is on April 1st so every year I have to fend off the same tired jokes.....I guess that is my tradition.

Posted by: Kali at December 6, 2007 12:08 PM

I keep the shoes that are currently in wearing rotation in a basket so that I can find them easily. Otherwise I can't find them, and I have to listen to my husband complaining that I leave them in places that trip him.

hooray for the iPod touch! I know it can't really hold enough music for you, but do you love it and its coolness anyway? I keep wondering if I'm going to regret spending so much money on mine, but it hasn't happened yet, so I don't think it is going to. I love that thing.

Posted by: bad penguin at December 6, 2007 12:18 PM

YOU GOT AN iPOD TOUCH?

Posted by: Mr Lady at December 6, 2007 12:18 PM

YOU GOT AN iPOD TOUCH?

Posted by: Mr Lady at December 6, 2007 12:18 PM

YOU GOT AN iPOD TOUCH?

You, sir, are one lucky man.

Posted by: Mr Lady at December 6, 2007 12:19 PM

Iam glad you had a great birthday. Stuffed peppers huh?

Posted by: tuesday at December 6, 2007 12:19 PM

I swear with Jebus as my witness, I only hit post one time. Apparently, your comment agent is all about dramatic effect.

Posted by: Mr Lady at December 6, 2007 12:23 PM

My birthday falls on labor day weekend, so my tradition was always to pout because everyone I knew was always out of town. But then I moved to Seattle a few years ago, and now my birthday falls on Bumbershoot weekend. So these days my tradition is to take my press pass and spend my birthday backstage at one of the biggest music festivals in the country. Works out pretty well.

Posted by: samantha at December 6, 2007 12:26 PM

I do my very best to make sure I have my birthday off. I don't count it as a holiday, I just don't want to listen to "those people" remind me that it is indeed my birthday!

Posted by: Jeff A at December 6, 2007 12:59 PM

You're a veggie guy, right? So, what do you stuff the peppers with?

Posted by: ticknart at December 6, 2007 1:25 PM

So did you go to work shoeless, then?

The first three years I lived in D.C., I took a walk along the Mall on my birthday. I know I had company for at least the first year, can't remember as to the other two. Since I was working the past two years, I wasn't able to do it... although I kind of like it as a tradition, so I am going to try again on future birthdays.

I also have a problem of saying "Happy Birthday!" after someone tells me "Happy Birthday!" Kinda like saying "Merry Christmas!" or "Good morning." So maybe I also have the tradition of wishing everyone happy birthday on my birthday. I'm trying to break myself of that one though... it's sort of awkward.

Posted by: Stephanie at December 6, 2007 1:26 PM

I take the day off (a tradition from my brother) and I buy myself presents (a tradition from my grandmother).

Glad your birthday rocked!

Posted by: Poppy at December 6, 2007 1:34 PM

Ahh, birthday traditions. Do I ever have a tradition on my birthday.

We all wake up really early and gather around the tree to see what Santa brought us, and then open all our presents, and then once that is done, I get to open the presents not wrapped in christmas paper, but instead in Brithday paper. And then we eat turkey and finish it off with Birthday Cake (and christmas pudding for those who feel that christmas is improperly celebrated with just birthday cake for dessert *cough*the-British-in-laws*cough*)

While I have to give everyone else a present on my birthday, I do have a guaranteed day off work. That does count for something.

Posted by: suze at December 6, 2007 1:43 PM

Hi Chris,
Happy Birthday. I am visiting you from Beth's blog, because I am on your side with the ugly plant thing.

Here is how you can save your ugly plant.

1. Every single time you see it or pass it, tell it you love it and you want it to live. (you dont have to say it out loud unless you want to).

2. Play music for it. I have revived mostly-dead plants with Beethoven's Ode to Joy. It really does work.

3. Fertilize once a month with Miracle Grow.

Good luck!!

Posted by: jessica at December 6, 2007 1:55 PM

I have no birthday traditions. Perhaps I should get one.

Cool new ipod touch! Is it awesome? I want one.

Posted by: Alissa at December 6, 2007 2:14 PM

Happy Birthday Chris! Family birthday traditions run rampant in my family. First, where ever the birthday person is, every member of the family has to call and SING Happy Birthday to them, or better yet, leave it on the machine. (I have a precious one my grandparents left me just before my grandfather died.) My uncle can't sing very well, so they adopted the tradition of calling and leaving the WORST possible singing on your machine. I mean, make your ears bleed singing. It's fun.

Posted by: Sharri at December 6, 2007 2:30 PM

Happy day late bday!

My husband and I always take the day of or around our birthday off. :) For his birthday this year we went to a Packer Game in Gree Bay.. Next year for mine we're going to a Sunday night concert.. so Taking Monday off will be a great thing!!

In the past, on my birthday.. we've bought a house, Bought a van and had a baby within 5 days before my day.. So unfortunately it would usually get over-shadowed.. But My husband would comment that my birthdays sure cost us a lot of money! ;)

Posted by: molly at December 6, 2007 2:36 PM

Happy belated birthday!

No, no traditions here, just what we decide.

Posted by: been there, done that at December 6, 2007 2:46 PM

Was there something in the air yesterday? I went out and forgot a stop I needed to make, and then when I went back out, I drove right by the exit to the shop. What's with that?
Glad your birthday was a good one.
Sory Mia isn't feeling well.

Posted by: Maribeth at December 6, 2007 3:01 PM

*snicker*..guess Mrs. Cactus told YOU!
I'm with her on the shoe thing. If I have to pick up the same thing several times it eventually "disappears" if you know what I mean.

aaahhh..the iPod Touch..I'm SOOO jealous!

Posted by: Judy at December 6, 2007 4:14 PM

My tradition is to celebrate it in any way I want. Some years it's a big party, some years it's dinner at IHOP. I love birthdays, but I think they should be whatever the one celebrating the birthday wants.

No specific traditions, though.

Posted by: She Likes Purple at December 6, 2007 4:32 PM

happy late birthday! I try to pretend my birthday doesn't exist every year. does that count as tradition?

Posted by: betty at December 6, 2007 5:17 PM

Yay for snow!
Yay for ipod Touch!
Yay for stuffed peppers!

Everybody gets presents on my birthday...everybody eats lots of yummy food...everybody celebrates with me on December 25th!! And as an added bonus I ALWAYS have my birthday off....well, not anymore now that I stay home with the crazies.

Posted by: lesley at December 6, 2007 5:23 PM

Very cool gift! I got my husband the same for his birthday. He loves it!

Posted by: Colleen at December 6, 2007 6:42 PM

My tradition? Trying not to be depressed because it's my birthday.

Posted by: Anastasia Beaverhausen at December 6, 2007 7:15 PM

Happy Burfdai!

Posted by: E :) at December 6, 2007 7:33 PM

hmm well. i dont have a personal tradition for myself.

but today is my husbands birthday and at midnight i schoolled him in the wondrous fun of lighting sparklers in the dark *takes a while with matches* and he got the birthday man glowstick necklace to wear for the whole day....
and we watched flight of the conchords
(if you havent heard of it its thse two hilarious dudes from new zealand living in new york that have a band.)

so im weird. but he loved it. :P

Posted by: Cri at December 6, 2007 7:51 PM

Happy belated birthday sir. :) No birthday traditions here, I just hope to spend it with people that make me happy.

Posted by: Teenuh at December 6, 2007 8:01 PM

Good thing the weekend is almost here so that you have more time to play with your new birthday toy!!! It's very pretty! Way to go, Beth!

And, I'm glad it was happy. :-)

Posted by: ironic1 at December 6, 2007 9:28 PM

Sorry I missed it. But Belated... happy birthday.

No traditions here to share either but I like cake.

A lot.

Posted by: nat at December 6, 2007 10:14 PM

I didn't get here on such an IMPORTANT DAY OF THE YEAR? Shame on me! HAPPY BELATED B-DAY!!

Posted by: Haley-O at December 6, 2007 10:29 PM

Happy natal day Chris, glad you keep having them. The only tradition I do is the full physical around my birthday, eyes, skin, teeth, the works. I figure it gives me a goal to work on for the upcoming year (usually more exercise) and gives me a feeling of having giving myself a good healthy gift. Hugs to your family, Mia is getting less cute and more straight beautiful in resent pics- polishing your shotgun yet?

Posted by: Nic at December 7, 2007 1:15 AM

Happy belated!

Nope, no tradition here, in fact I think I've stopped celebrating. :P

Posted by: Nanette at December 7, 2007 3:54 AM

Happy belated!

Nope, no tradition here, in fact I think I've stopped celebrating. :P

Posted by: Nanette at December 7, 2007 3:54 AM

Happy (belated) Birthday! My birthday is Feb. 23rd so most people aren't broke from Christmas anymore and have received their IRS refund so I usually set up some kind of road trip. I had always wanted to go to Mardi Gras for my birthday, but that one hasn't happened yet. Maybe year 29 is the year!

Posted by: jessica fantastica at December 7, 2007 3:59 AM

Besides a whopping case of birthday anxiety every year, I have no traditions. I never take off of work. I haven't had a birthday cake in several years. I do like to go out for a nice dinner, so maybe that's my tradition, but I rarely get to go on my birthday itself.

Posted by: Jen at December 7, 2007 11:48 AM