January 2, 2008

Eleven Days

Well, fuck me sideways*, would you look where I am? Work! For eleven wonderful days I was home. Home, meaning no work, a breathtakingly wonderful lack of responsibility (aside from those responsibilities that come with being a husband and a father which are, in fact, quite significant) which I realized had to end sometime but wasn't especially ready for them to draw to a close. But welcome to Wednesday, January 2nd - The Reckoning.

Aside from the obvious activities mandated by days like Christmas (the opening of and subsequent playing with presents, obscenely large dinner) and New Year's (cheese fondue and managing to make it to midnight which makes you feel old because you realize around 10:00 PM that it will be something of a struggle), I'm not entirely sure I can account for the way I spent those eleven days. It's all somewhat dreamlike in my head this morning. Although maybe that's due to the fact that it's early and I haven't yet consumed enough coffee. Hard to tell.

I know for sure that Christmas was a huge success. There was no vomiting. So, right there, big advantage over last year. And we nailed the bumblebee toy Mia had requested starting in, oh, October. Playing with the horde of Little People and the accompanying Little People Civilization took much of the remainder of my time off. We took a break to build several robots made out of the blocks we gave Mia for Christmas. All of them were named Hat. You get to guess who we gave the naming duties to. Hat 1.0 was tall but ultimately unstable. Hat 2.0 was perhaps my finest block-robot work; he was disassembled to build a castle. Hat 3.0 was small and portable yet ultimately that portability did him in. Hat 4.0 was again tall in stature and had the added bonus of wearing Mia's shoes; while cool, he was taken apart to make a spider. Hat 5.0 is currently sitting in his own chair at our breakfast table.

We did manage to get out of the house. We went to D.C. (which Mia still calls Monkeytown) and strolled through the natural history museum and took a gander at the animals and dinosaurs. Then we rode the carousel which, despite it being about 37 degrees below zero (or really, like, 40 above but windy), was the hit of the day. New Year's Eve brought cheese fondue - which Mia claimed she loved yet never actually consumed - an extra-late bedtime and - gasp - television.

The pictures from these wonderful yet all-too-brief eleven days are up (finally!) at my flickr site. Go take a look then clue me in about what you've been up to. I'll be here...doing that work thing.

* an expression, not a request.

Posted by Chris at January 2, 2008 6:49 AM
Comments

Miss Mia looks all motherly holding her bee. I dunno that bee or it's importance and honestly, if it took ya 2 months to find it or whatever-yeah I don't wanna know it. I remember when I searched and stood in the cold and got frostbite for Tickle Me Elmo only to have my Miss Abbie go "WEEEE" for about 2.5 seconds then toss Elmo aside like yesterday's trash. Kids! They're fickle at times.

Now 11 days off? Must've been nice. But yeah, it sucks when reality rings and says "go back to work". Which I am off to work now.

Enjoy your day-I hope it's a slow one.

Posted by: kimmyk at January 2, 2008 7:08 AM

Great pics - I love looking at your photos 'cause they always show me different ways to set up shots (One of the things I want to learn this year is how to take better pictures). Sorry you had to go back to work, I on the other hand get to stay home, so in honour of everyone who had to work I will spend the whole day in my jammies.

Posted by: Mom On The Run at January 2, 2008 8:21 AM

I am back to work today too and totally unmotivated. Of course, I do office from home so still in my p.j.'s sipping coffee. Ooops, did I rub that in? I'm sorry.

Glad you had a long vacation. The pictures are adorable.

Posted by: DebbieDoesLife at January 2, 2008 8:25 AM

So hilarious that I'm not the only one who names my kids' toys that way. My youngest has a favorite stuffed pig, Izzie. When she lost it, I was able to find a replacement pig. The replacement was then named Izzie 2.0. My husband thought that was on the list of the geekiest things I have ever done. I don't know. I thought it was cute.

Posted by: sarah at January 2, 2008 8:30 AM

Loved the Christmas pictures! My 2 y.o. grandson sat on my lap and looked at the pictures with me. He wanted to open more presents after seeing the pictures and he likes the baby girl (Mia), Looking forward to meeting the new member of the Cactus family.

Posted by: Trish V. at January 2, 2008 8:49 AM

Woohoo. Back at work.

Posted by: william at January 2, 2008 9:08 AM

I'm back at work today too. Two whole weeks gone like the wind...

The pictures are great! Mia is so precious!

Posted by: Colleen at January 2, 2008 9:23 AM

Here's to being back at work *sipping tea instead of whatever your preferred alcoholic beverage might be*. As always, your pictures of Mia are wonderful to look at! She's so damn cute.

What TV did you watch? I'm usually big on watching TV (at least, I like the noise in the background), but for the two four day weekends we just had, I stayed away and didn't watch much. Except, of course, the awesome Winter Classic NHL game. Go Pens!

Posted by: Arwen at January 2, 2008 9:27 AM

We were saying the same thing last night at dinner about how it had been 11 days but seemed a) much shorter and b) that we "accomplished" next to nothing.

But I think sometimes that's what we need: just some time to build robots or towers or have plastic food grilled for us or manipulate the new doll house into a chauvinist tableau where the men are lounging watching tv while the women are in the kitchen (or you know, whatever).

Posted by: SciFi Dad at January 2, 2008 9:30 AM

I go back to work tomorrow after 4 months off for maternity leave. Just a little nervous!

I notice you're reading Billy Collins; I have not read that one yet but he's one of my all-time favorites.

Posted by: Claire at January 2, 2008 9:52 AM

First, you have two of the most beautiful ladies in your house! Lucky you!

Christmas was good, quiet and the New Year came in also quietly with a cheese fondue and some sparkling something that we drank at midnight as we dragged ourselves into bed muttering that this whole midnight thing isn't quite what it once was.

Yesterday during yet another foot of snow, snowstorm, I updated our telephone/address book and printed it out. Sad when you have to take names out of your book because they have passed on, but happy when you add new ones!

Happy New Year to you.

Posted by: Maribeth at January 2, 2008 10:42 AM

I snarfed my coffee at the "fuck me sideways" comment. My burned nose hairs curse you.

Posted by: GreenCanary at January 2, 2008 10:48 AM

Happy New Year!

I'm back at work after 11 days off...and I kind of wish I was still on vacation. I walked in the door, and everyone jumped on me with questions, requests for meetings and a whole lot more. I hope your first day back at work is going better.

Posted by: bad penguin at January 2, 2008 11:28 AM

"Fuck me sideways" is one of the best exclamations. Lately I've been a big fan of "Holy Balls" which can be G rated if your mind is pure enough to not take it any further. However, my lovely sweet mother (the gentle grandmother of my children) has given me the Mother Of All Exclamations... After missing her turn for the 3rd time, getting totally worked up and pissy then finally slamming on her breaks in the middle of the busy road with traffic zooming by and people honking like mad she loudly proclaimed: "Fuck A Duck!"

Posted by: Sassy at January 2, 2008 11:39 AM

The sombrero, the onsie, and the pot-holders make a combination both intriguing and disturbing. I'm making a mental note for next Halloween.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at January 2, 2008 11:59 AM

*damn it!

Posted by: Mr Lady at January 2, 2008 12:21 PM

The sombrero/oven mitt picture has totally sucked me in.

That's the kind of New Years Eve party I want to go to.

Posted by: Jenny at January 2, 2008 2:06 PM

that "expression" is too funny!
I totally miss Josh-O now that he's back at work after a blissful 10 days at home with us. :( Suckage. But, it'll be a good year -- and a very exciting one for you guys!

Posted by: Haley-O at January 2, 2008 2:17 PM

Oh? You mean I'm supposed to be getting things done over this break??!?? Well, hell... why didn'tcha say something sooner? LOL

Actually, today is all about taking down the remainder of the Christmas decorations so that I have until this coming Sunday evening to get other stuff done around this joint before heading back to work.

Love the pics -- the sombrero and potholders get-up for Mia made my day! I'm gonna hafta try that sometime soon.... Or not. ;-)

Posted by: ironic1 at January 2, 2008 3:33 PM

Now it can be told (although you already knew) that we went to New York. Some pics are up at my site. It was great...but I'm glad to be back. And now? A nap.

Posted by: Anastasia Beaverhausen at January 2, 2008 3:49 PM

It's the bumblebeeeeeee! Good call, that has to be the bee she meant, even if she didn't know it.

As always, Mia is adorable!

Posted by: Poppy at January 2, 2008 3:57 PM

I am sooooooo adding "fuck me sideways" to my list of clever and witty responses.

Posted by: Krystyn at January 2, 2008 4:56 PM

I love that picture of Mia in the sombrero.

It's going to be fun when you have two children to take pictures of to amuse me. Because, you know, that's the only reason you internet people have children.

To amuse me.

Posted by: Cassandra at January 2, 2008 6:14 PM

Great pictures! You can tell Mia loves the bumblebee!

I go back to work Thursday (tomorrow) after being off since Christmas eve afternoon. I'm sure I accomplished a few things, but none were magnificent. I did spend WAY too much money though. So there's that.

Back to the grind!

Posted by: coolchick at January 2, 2008 6:19 PM

well we were the happy (sarcastic) recipients of the puking Christmas this year - only the little one and although it was fierce, it was quick. At least it waited to arrive until Christmas night...

Posted by: Sharri at January 2, 2008 6:25 PM

We saved our vomiting for New Years Eve!

The pics rock, per usual!

Posted by: Aimee Greeblemonkey at January 2, 2008 6:39 PM

My husband also had 11 days off. And we made cheese fondue for New Year's, too! (In the new ceramic fondue set that I got DH for Christmas.)

I posted about Jan 2nd today. It has to be the most fucking depressing day of the entire year.

Posted by: Dawn at January 2, 2008 7:40 PM

Hey - does your kid seriously have oven mitts on her feet?

P.S. I love the bumblebee toy. :o)

Posted by: Emily at January 2, 2008 11:29 PM

So cute.

Hat? Not asshat? Maybe she meant 'hat.

Posted by: Sphincter at January 2, 2008 11:55 PM