January 3, 2008

An Appeal To Generation Y

I am a proud member of Generation X, though I understand that this can be a dubious distinction. If we want to take credit for Pearl Jam, Cameron Crowe, Chuck Klosterman, Dave Eggers and The Breakfast Club, we also have to be willing to swallow our pride and admit to Howard The Duck, Celine Dion, political apathy and Zima. As a wise person once said, "you take the good, you take the bad, you take it all and there you have the facts of life." Or something. I do, however, remain an ardent believer in the power of Generation X and all it offered and continues to offer. But the simple fact is that Generation Y (those born between 1976 and 1982 which I suspect includes a sizable chunk of you, dear readers) and those in generations that follow Y just aren't properly embracing many of the pop-culture.

Before the holidays, I took a couple of people who report to me out for lunch. They're a few years younger than myself, falling squarely, I believe, at the beginning of Generation Y. We were talking about quite a few non-work things and ventured into tales of dating and relationships. I'm the only one of us who is married or even involved with someone. During this conversation, I made a Lloyd Dobler reference. I was greeted with two very blank stares.

"I can't believe it," I exclaimed. "You have no idea what I'm talking about do you? Lloyd Dobler...Say Anything...John Cusak. Bueller? Bueller? Oh crap, you never saw Ferris Bueller's Day Off either? Who are you people?"

I couldn't believe it. Here were two intelligent members of Generation Y who had not a clue about one of the seminal movies of my generation. They'd never basked in the glory of Cameron Crowe's insanely well-written movie, never seen the overcoated Lloyd Dobler lift a ginormous boombox over his head blasting Peter Gabriel's In Your Eyes to the world and, more specifically, Ione Skye's Diane Court.

I guess I should be somewhat thankful. I mean, the men of Generation X have a love-hate relationship with John Cusak. He's a great actor but he pretty much fucked up any chance we ever had making the grade in a relationship. How can you compete with boomboxes, Peter Gabriel, and an enthusiastic avoidance of selling anything bought or processed, or buying anything sold or processed, or processing anything sold, bought, or processed, or repairing anything sold, bought, or processed?

Generation Y, we Generation Xers have entrusted you with some of pop culture's greatest treasures. Learn them. And don't fuck them up. Avoid Celine Dion concerts like the plague (we're all collectively sorry about that one), bring about a grunge revival and never ever remake Say Anything or any John Hughes films. That would amount to declaring a cultural war. And we're not afraid to drain the Social Security accounts on your asses.

Posted by Chris at January 3, 2008 7:28 AM
Comments

Did they at least know who John Cusack was?

These kids today... no respect for the past.

(Oh crap, now I sound like a grandfather. Thanks Chris.)

Posted by: SciFi Dad at January 3, 2008 7:59 AM

Huh. Born in 1976, I technically fall into Y, but since I'm sorta on the cusp, I'm totally claiming X. Having just rewatched (and recited line for line, no less) "The Breakfast Club" for the hundred bazillionth time, I wouldn't want to be from any other generation.... I mean, can you imagine a movie today pulling out some term like "Neo maxi zoom dweeby"? No.

Posted by: sarah at January 3, 2008 8:17 AM

So - I follow Generation Y, but even that that, Ferris Bueller is one of the all time great movies. But see - I sort of loved that time - Pretty In Pink, The Breakfast Club, etc. I don't know a ton about the music, but seriously - how do you go through life without seeing Ferris Bueller?

Posted by: Emily at January 3, 2008 8:18 AM

I too fall into the Early Gen Y (1978). I loved Ferris Bueller! I work in an office full of 40+ people and I have that same experience daily. They all will be talking about some old tv show they watched as kids, and of course I have no idea what they are talking about. I really make them happy when I tell them that I was born the year they graduated High School.

Posted by: Josh at January 3, 2008 8:21 AM

I feel really old now born in 74!

Posted by: Pol at January 3, 2008 8:21 AM

Well, it seems that I am early Gen Y, too - and sadly, I didn't see either Say Anything OR The Breakfast Club until I was in my twenties. My husband soon set me right. (Though I loved In Your Eyes with a passion, that song is so dang romantic that you don't need a movie to appreciate it.)

Posted by: Sam at January 3, 2008 8:31 AM

Ouch.

The BFF and I were watching Clueless the other night (I know, I know, but it's so genius!) and we realized that there are kids today who could watch that movie and not understand 95% of the pop culture references therein. Sad.

Posted by: Sparkle Pants at January 3, 2008 8:39 AM

Kids Today!

Next team building thing, you get bring Ferris Bueller in and make them watch it!

Posted by: Nat at January 3, 2008 8:41 AM

HA! Loyd Dobbler! My 11 year old son was telling me the names of all the kids in his class, "Ashley, Leah, James, Frank, Beth, Lloyd"...and I say "Lloyd Dobber?"..of course he has no idea what I'm talking about so I tell him to tell his dad that he has a boy named Lloyd in his class, and the husband has the same response "Lloyd Dobbler?".
So now my 11 year old son has been enlightened on the greatness of "Say Anything" and Lloyd Dobbler.

Posted by: Lisa at January 3, 2008 8:42 AM

Amen!

Posted by: Traci at January 3, 2008 9:03 AM

Over the 11 days off I made reference to a few things related to my child hood and than I laughed as I commented to Kevin (and Matthew but he does not get it of course) that "Matthew has no idea what I am talking about and we will eventually seem like dinosaurs to him..."

Ferris was my first "grown up" movie I saw in the theatre. I love that movie - have watched it over and over again for years, could probably recite many of the lines if I tried super hard. But by far, the defining movies for me were Breakfast Club and Pretty in Pink.

Oh come who am I kidding those are not the only two - what about the cheese that is Girls Just Wanna Have Fun, Footloose, Can't Buy Me Love, Dirty Dancing, Heathers, Karate Kid, Back to the Future... Ah, they just do not make movies (or music) like they used to ;)

Posted by: Christina at January 3, 2008 9:11 AM

Proud (older member - senior member?) of Gen X.

Honestly, how do kids today watch any TV or movie? Pop culture references permeate everything. Just watch an episode of Family Guy or The Simpsons or How I Met Your Mother, hell, Toy Story - without a mental library of these very important references and you'd spend half your time saying, "I don't get it."

"The rain on my car is a baptism, the new me, Ice Man, Power Lloyd, my assault on the world begins now."

Just one more:

"Kickboxing. Sport of the future."

Posted by: mr. big dubya at January 3, 2008 9:16 AM

Born in 83 makes me gen Z, but I know Say Anything and Lloyd Dobbler with the boombox over his head...although the credit for it goes to you; you had a post once long ago mentioning that as the most romantic scene/song and then I made it a point to see it. I got Ferris but didn't watch it after the first 20 mins cause I got bored...prolly I wasn't in the mood...

Posted by: Dee at January 3, 2008 9:20 AM

So very, very sad. As a 1976'er, I'll tell you that I've seen every John Hughes film, every Cusak movie, and still think of In Your Eyes as one of my favorite songs of all time. But if you tell me that some late 20's son-of-a-bitch hasn't seen Ferris Bueller's Day Off... well, I think this nation is just headed in the wrong direction.

Posted by: Brad at January 3, 2008 9:21 AM

We had this discussion the other day at work...I have two co-workers in their twenties who have never even heard of Ferris, much less seen it. Strange, but true.

How come you're not updating in my Bloglines anymore? Did you change some setting or something?

Posted by: Alissa at January 3, 2008 9:24 AM

If John Cusack showed up to my door I would yank him inside and keep him forever and ever and ever. (What?)

Posted by: Poppy at January 3, 2008 9:25 AM

Here's one for ya -- I made a reference to a GenY'er about Double Dutch Bus. To crickets.

DOUBLE DUTCH BUS! Oh, come ON!

Here's a buck - go download it on iTunes.

Posted by: Pammer at January 3, 2008 9:25 AM

Whatever you call today's generation of college students seem to get it. In both classes that I teach, I was looking for a response to a question and got *crickets* so I said "Bueller, Bueller" and got some laughs and actual responses...so maybe it just skipped that generation.

Posted by: Krush at January 3, 2008 9:32 AM

"And we're not afraid to drain the Social Security accounts on your asses"

...that would mean assuming that there's actually any Social Security left for us X'ers to begin with.

I hear ya though - I work with a bunch of mid-20-somethings, and I cringe on a daily basis listening to them making back-asswards comments about 90s bands and movies. then there's the fact that they all seem to think that really (and I mean REALLLLLLY) cheesy craprock 80s music from those faceless lite-n-easy bands (think Toto, Asia, REO) is actually worth more than a quick laugh. arrrrrrrgh.

Posted by: platypotamus at January 3, 2008 9:47 AM

I fall into that Gen Y category (Apparently, although I didn't know it was for those years)and I am very familiar with everything you noted. I think perhaps some people just lived sheltered lives, thanks to their parents. I mean, my sister, 5 years my younger, has a friend who didn't know who Helen Keller is. So you know, it just depends.

Also, I was born in 1979 and I am married with a kid! I also don't feel that young to be doing so. I mean, 28, to me, is in the range for having kids. Perhaps that age is getting higher and higher now as more people are focusing on career first. However, I have a Masters degree and work at a University. I guess everyone has their own path.

Posted by: claire at January 3, 2008 9:48 AM

I'm prematurely curmudgeonesque, because while I kind of dislike the Y pukes, it's their New Coke brethren, the Z generation for whom I reserve my unrelenting hate. These kids expect everything for nothing. I'll be a teaching assistant this semester as a grad student and so help me if these little bastards slack off, they'd better fall to their knees and pray to the God of their ancestors for mercy because it won't be coming from me.

I'm not planning on teaching as a career, by the way.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at January 3, 2008 10:02 AM

i always thought i was generation x. i was born in 1978...but all those references you made...those are my references too...

Posted by: ali at January 3, 2008 10:03 AM

according to wikipedia (and we all know that wiki is ALWAYS right. *snerk*) it says that "y" starts with children born in 81.

so there.

Posted by: ali at January 3, 2008 10:04 AM

My husband is 4 years younger than me, and between the age difference and gender difference, there's a whole lot of cultural icons from my childhood he's never heard of, and vice versa.

I think the worst thing about John Cusack movies is that, while they were pivotal and generationally poignant, they were also, it's sad to say, pretty crappy. I've tried to initiate some of my younger friends who haven't seen them, and in 2007, er, 2008, they just don't hold the same epic-ness that they did when I watched them in my early 20s, or high school, or whatever.

So sad. Doesn't mean that I wouldn't prefer to leave work right now and go watch Say Anything, though.

Posted by: Kelly at January 3, 2008 10:05 AM

The hubs and I are Xers and huge on cultural references. We always quote one to the other and then say "obscure reference, lost on younger viewers" LOL

I don't want to buy in to the stereotypes about our generation (talkin' 'bout our generation), but . . . do you think our nostalgia will ever be classic? Nope, everything is still about the Boomers and then they'll just skip us over because the Z's I think are supposedly going to save the world one day.

I only hope that the world will be a better place for us Xers to grow old because of following the vain Boomers.

I'm sorry, what was today's topic again? LOL

Oh yes. I watched Napoleon Dynamite. Did not "GET" it. Told my husband it must be that generations Ferris. He just laughed.

Posted by: Anna at January 3, 2008 10:13 AM

I think those people you work with must just be extremely sheltered, so don't generalize us all :) I use the phrase "Bueller, Bueller" on almost a daily basis, and by this definition of Gen Y, I'm almost at the END of that generation ('81).

The definitions on generations are all over the place though--some I found had Gen X going all the way through 1980, and Gen Y ending with children born as late as 2000. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that I probably have more in common with Gen X-ers than a 7-going-on-8-year-old.

Posted by: Liz at January 3, 2008 10:16 AM

While there may not be any hope for Generation Y, my husband, a middle school teacher, says his kids (what are they called "millenials"?) are into everything mid 80's to mid 90's. I'm sure this is partly the result of shows like Family Guy and Robot Chicken which require a pop culture history lesson to be fully appreciated for their genius.

Posted by: wendy at January 3, 2008 10:17 AM

When my son is having a tantrum, I often sing him the following tune. You make recognize it. I'll give you a hint. It's from hanging out at the Gas and Sip on a Saturday night. Here goes...

"Lloyd. Lloyd. All null and void. He's wiggin out. He's wiggidy, wiggin, wiggin."

My son usually just stares at me like I'm crazy. Which I am.

Poor Gen Yers. They just don't know what they are missing.

Llody Dobbler. Alright!!!

Posted by: kelly at January 3, 2008 10:35 AM

Ok, I've been hanging around here for a few months... usually I lurk, occasionally I comment... mostly I've just been developing a crush... ;)

However, today you have referenced my most favourite actor/love of my life (my husband worries I will leave him for John Cusack), my most favourite movie by said actor, the best scene in movie history, and my general sentiment about Gen Y...

I think I'm in love... *drool*

Posted by: Latte Mommy at January 3, 2008 10:37 AM

I'm a long way from Generation Y but just letting you know you're still on my Bloglines but it didn't highlight. When I clicked on it it took me right to your newest post (which I already had in email).

Weird. I'll check it out further.

Posted by: ann adams at January 3, 2008 10:38 AM

Mr. Martini had that moment a few years ago, when he was teaching college courses. He did a "Beuller? Beuller?" and one of the kids said, "Isn't that from that movie from, like, 15 years ago?"

It was a sad, sad day.

Posted by: SpaceCase at January 3, 2008 10:53 AM

I fall right smack in the middle of Generation X and have always felt somewhat guilty for my love-hate relationship with John Cusack. I'm supposed to crush on this guy, right? When I see other thirty-something women drooling over Lloyd Dobler, I kind of feel like I did when I was 12 and my best "friend" tried to bully me into liking Ralph Macchio (sp?).

And a recent "Y" movie I so didn't get? Superbad.

Posted by: Kathy at January 3, 2008 10:55 AM

No worries, Chris. Since Generation Y'ers and beyond can't make up their own stuff, they'll eventually get around to "borrowing" Cusack and boomboxes. Hell, if Strawberry Shortcake and the Care Bears can make a comeback, them it's only a matter of time...

Posted by: GreenCanary at January 3, 2008 11:12 AM

Vain Boomers? Nice. Guess I should stop reading here even though I "get" all the pop culture references. You just have to pay attention to stuff.

Posted by: ree at January 3, 2008 11:23 AM

...anyone seen my walker...
gosh i feel realllllyyyy old because i am not gen x or y. what came before x?

i'll tell you what is sad. i can't stand celine and yet my gen x SIL gave me her new CD for Christmas...does that mean she assumes that i like her stuff, or (even sadder) that SHE likes her (yeck, ptooey) and thought i did too?

Posted by: ie at January 3, 2008 11:27 AM

They've never seen Ferris Bueller's Day Off? How is that possible? Do they live under rocks? I find this even more appalling than them not having seen Say Anything (which I assume means no Better Off Dead? Geez, and that's a classic!)How about more recent Cusack films? Grosse Point Blank? High Fidelity? Oh this is disturbing. Have they seen Pretty in Pink? The Breakfast Club? Sixteen Candles?

Depending on where you get your data, Gen X is anywhere from 1965-1980, or 1964-1979, etc. - it is not clearly defined. I was born in '77 and I do not consider myself Gen Y. I think a LOT of people born in '77, '78 and '79 would agree with me in that we do not consider ourselves to be Gen Y. My cultural references are more in line with people from Gen X, and I certainly identify more with people born in the late '60s - late '70s than people born in even the early to mid-'80s and later. I think you need to adjust your numbers.

And no offense, but it sounds like the people you took to lunch are just sort of lame. At least when it comes to movies/pop culture.

Posted by: erin at January 3, 2008 11:28 AM

So, Why those dates for Gen x? I've ALWAYS considered myself to be on the Buttcrack of Gen X .. never gen Y.. (1977)

Am I a legacy because my brother was born in 74?

Love the Brat Pack 80s movies, and I'm a huge Star Wars fan.. doesn't that count for something??

Posted by: molly at January 3, 2008 11:29 AM

Technically a Y but I'll go with X as well here. My defense on not knowing a LOT of the 80s stuff is because I grew up in another country, where back in the days, U.S. "hits" didn't get there until a few months...or years...later. I mean, our roller skate crazy didn't catch on until early 80s. That's how behind we were.

I may not have seen "Say Anything" through and through, but even *I* know that guy with the boombox and "In Your Eyes" before I learn more about the 80s I missed from VH1 I love the 80s series. Heh.

Posted by: oakley at January 3, 2008 11:29 AM

Working at a university I see millenials all the time. They are absolutely unimaginative. They lack every bit of creativity our generation had. They can't pee without a group decision. Our "leader" is big into generational studies. I have grown to dislike boomers and millenials more and more every day.

~Jef

Posted by: Edge at January 3, 2008 11:31 AM

As a member of Gen Y (which I just found out now), I apologize for my fellow ignorants. They must be much younger than I, because I got your references, no worries.

Posted by: rai at January 3, 2008 11:45 AM

my birthday is 11/26/82. so i guess that makes me the tail end of GenY. i've seen almost every John Cusak movie there is. i know damned well who Lloyd Dobbler is because my girlfriend(11/13/81), like every other girl with any sense, adores him. i also love new wave/post punk/synthpop whatever you want to call what happened to music in the late 70s/early 80s that was all made possible by synthesizers. i don't really like the Happy Mondays but i respect what they did for my music library. there aren't many artists i've been willing to follow album to album outside of electronic music since 1998. i "get" Family Guy.

all my friends tell me i'm an old man anyway. barely 25 and i'm already a curmudgeon. i wanted to try and make some kind of point about being born when we were gives us some kind of unique viewpoint but it doesn't. i realized that when i went to college and met a lot of people born around the same time, and theoretically should know all the same pop-culture references i do, i found that some don't. i guess that just means some people were exposed, some weren't.

Posted by: Jared at January 3, 2008 11:48 AM

Say Anything is one of the worst movie but Lloyd Dobler is one of the best characters, go figure how the movie is so bad. The thing that I am so amazed about life after that movie is that Diane Court (Ione Skye) married a Beastie Boy hence the lyrics:

Ad Rock Down With The Ione
Listen To The Shit Because Both Of Them Is Boney
Got To Do It Like This Like Chachi And Joanie
Because She's The Cheese And I'm The Macaroni

Posted by: Darren at January 3, 2008 11:57 AM

We were just having a discussion about how today's teen movies suck. They need to work on them. Where are the movies like Say Anything, Breakfast Club, and Pretty in Pink? I miss those movies. I miss Molly Ringwald. And the Brat Pack. Young people today have no idea what they missed.

Posted by: Colleen at January 3, 2008 11:57 AM

i thought Generation X meant being born up till '79. i thought the 80's were Gen Y??? great...im 30 years old and i still dont know which crowd i belong with. Crap.

Posted by: madmomny at January 3, 2008 12:13 PM

I also thought Generation X was through the end of '79. I remember always being called an X'er in high school by adults. As someone born in '76, I refuse to be Generation Y and cling with all my might to the exiting coattails of Generation X.

Posted by: Judy at January 3, 2008 12:39 PM

I think its up to the parents of these kids to realize that these things are important. I've forced my kids to watch all of the movies, listen to the music and pay attention. Hmmmm.....maybe that's why they hate me?

Posted by: chantel at January 3, 2008 1:04 PM

Generation Z is only doing slightly better. My kids all know who Ferris Bueller is..and have watched the movie frequently. However, last year I was in charge of creating a Senior Class shirt for my kid's class, I wanted to go with a Lloyd Dobler quote. I got the same blank stare. Honestly, I felt as outdated as Martha Washington at that moment. And yet I was not ashamed of my love for Lloyd which continues to this day.

Posted by: Anastasia Beaverhausen at January 3, 2008 1:22 PM

Shit... Since I was born in 1971, that makes me, what? Gen W? Gen Geriatric? I always thought (and felt) that I was part of Gen X, as I am guilty of using those very same references you, um, referenced. Perhaps some of us are granfathered in?

I, too, am constantly apologizing for Celine Dion. And are you sure there's enough money in Social Security for the Gen X-ers, or even those of us who fell slightly before then? I'm not so sure...

Excuse me now while I go sit in the rocker with my afghan and turn on The Golden Girls (on VHS, natch) and knit a scarf. But first, the Geritol!

Posted by: ironic1 at January 3, 2008 1:36 PM

I have co-workers at the lovely tar-jey, that are not the brightest bunch, but besides being generally not in the know, they also had know idea who C. Thomas Howell, or even Rob Lowe were. AND one girl I tease because her name is an Elvis Costello song- and she doesn't know who that is!!!

Posted by: shannon at January 3, 2008 1:46 PM

Being born in 85 (I know, I know) I was pretty much nonexistent during all this cool shit. I've never seen Say Anything, but I still get the whole reference.
Maybe you should write a book. "Pop Culture References You Need To Understand, Ya Damn Kids".

If it makes you feel any better, I wish like hell I was a teenager in the 80s- being a teenager in the late nineties/earlier 2000's kind of did not rock.

Posted by: Cassandra at January 3, 2008 1:47 PM

I'm on the cusp - one week from being firmly planted into Generation Y, which means I don't really belong to either Y or X.

I do know about Bueller? Bueller? but only discovered Lloyd Dobler last year. Which is probably a good thing for my fiance (who is most definitely Gen Y) because there is no way one can compete with Peter Gabriel on a boom box held high above one's head. At all. I'm a little in love with Lloyd Dobler.

Posted by: suze at January 3, 2008 1:50 PM

Also, after reading through some of the comments, this entry makes me sad. Pretty much every one is bashing us younger folks. We're unimaginative! We don't appreciate anything! We smell! Our music is too loud!

Totally un-fair. Maybe you've met some selfish, spoiled, boring younger people - but don't lump us all in! I bet the sweeping negative generalizations of your generation (generalizations of your generation? hahaha..ha) don't paint the prettiest picture either...

... if only I were old enough to know what these are... I'd totally throw them back at you. :)

Posted by: Cassandra at January 3, 2008 1:52 PM

Anybody who does not know Dobler is not worth your time.

Posted by: jodi at January 3, 2008 2:06 PM

Actually, I think I'm generation V or W. ;)

Posted by: sue at January 3, 2008 2:11 PM

Echoing the comments above - not sure what source your using, but Gen X definately runs for those born in the 60's and 70's ... Gen Y starts in the 80's ... the Wikipedia articles on both Gen X and Gen Y confirm this. (and yes, Wikipedia in infallible, ask any Gen Y student! )

I remember sitting in a meeting a few years back when I worked at a grad school ... the press calling the Gen Y folks the Millenials was just starting. The meeting was to help the administrators at the grad school better understand the new batch of students that were starting to come through.

The meeting staff consisted of ~10 boomers, and two Gen. Xers (me from '76, and a '72-ish woman). The two of us had to translate and explain everything in the literature that the meeting facilitator brought along. We had to use our knowledge of our generation, to translate the hooky literature about the next generation, for the previous generation. They just didn't get how any one would be any different than a boomer. It was great!

So please ... don't cast me out of the Gen X pool ... Once a Goonie, always a Goonie!"

Posted by: TisDone at January 3, 2008 3:04 PM

I totally love you for doing this post. Lloyd Dobbler, Bueller, and the like shaped my life. I can watch any John Hughes movie for the 673rd time and still enjoy it (if a bit sheepishly at times). It's like comfort food to me.

Posted by: Shelly at January 3, 2008 4:59 PM

Oh man, that South Park reference makes a lot more sense now...

Posted by: Rachel at January 3, 2008 5:42 PM

here, here!

and you are so right about Mr. Cusak fuking it up for you men - sorry!

Posted by: Kathryn at January 3, 2008 5:50 PM

I worked with this age group for awhile. Their collective ignorance is frightening.

Posted by: Whti at January 3, 2008 6:04 PM

Dude, I have had so many of these conversations with the 20 somethings at work. I always feel beleaguered.

But then then mention a new pop culture reference and I ask them to bring me my dentures and cane.

Posted by: Aimee Greeblemonkey at January 3, 2008 6:55 PM

I'm afraid it will just get worse from here. And that's nothing against Generation Y, it's just the way things go.

(Still, no Lloyd Dobler? No Ferris Bueller? The poor lambs, they don't know what they're missing.)

Posted by: Melissa at January 3, 2008 7:42 PM

OMG that's just scary! we just spent the last few weeks saying "do you have christmas in france?" to random people and squeezing each other's faces saying "chrees-masss."

that and "two dollars, i want my two dollars" never fails to get a giggle.

i could go on but then i'd be showing my age!

Posted by: monique at January 3, 2008 8:06 PM

OMG. Dude. I just had this conversation about a month ago with a fellow blogger when she came to visit-she's never seen SAY ANYTHING. I'm serious. WTF is goin' on in the world. These people seriously live under rocks.

I'm tellin' ya...you are preachin' to the choir.

Posted by: kimmyk at January 3, 2008 9:19 PM

I was born in 1985 and i know all those. i don't know how a person can avoid knowing those movies and such. they are every where

Posted by: Jessica at January 3, 2008 11:02 PM

This bugs me too. They try to claim that these references are before their time to make us feel old, but I know the classics (especially movies and TV from the 50s and 60s) from before I was born. They may be less apathetic than we were as a generation, but they're culturally lazy.

Posted by: Darren at January 4, 2008 8:52 AM

Yesterday my boys had a friend over and they were talking, and I hear 'blahdadeblahblah Large Marge...'

I cocked one eyebrow and really listened.

'Who's that?'

'Oh, she's this character on a VIDEO GAME called Pee Wee's Big Adventure, and she....'

A video game. None of them have any clue there is a movie, too. Hmpft.

Posted by: Mr Lady at January 4, 2008 11:01 AM

In case you were wondering, those of us born between 1980 and 1993 are considered the "Milleniums". Learn it, love it.

Posted by: Tess at January 4, 2008 12:33 PM

I would also appreciate it if Gen Y became savvy of the fact that Charlie's Angels did not start with the (very good) Drew Barrymore/Cameron Diaz/Lucy Liu movie.

Posted by: Vaguely Urban at January 4, 2008 3:28 PM

I got generation gapped by Gen Y recently, and it made me feel super old.

oh, how awful it would be if someone remade a John Hughes movie! I hope that never happens. And really, how could they not have seen Ferris Bueller's Day off or Say Anything? They are classics. Classics I tell you! *shakes cane at computer screen*

Posted by: bad penguin at January 4, 2008 5:43 PM

Just came to check up on ya, since you haven't shown up in Bloglines for a while. I'm a proud Gen Xer. "And you could do it on a cloud, without getting pregnant...or herpes!"

Posted by: Alison at January 4, 2008 10:26 PM

I am a senior-ish X'er... I find that more and more Y's and Zed's with the knowledge of 80's randomness and not just because of MTV's "I love the 80's" series.

I figure your younger readers are just exceptional and divine... hence why they became your readers in the first place.

Here is another favorite 80's quote in its entirety, though I often only invoke what is in old;
"You know, there's going to be sex, drugs, rock-n-roll...chips, dips, chains, whips...You know, your basic high school orgy type of thing. I mean, uh, I'm not talking candlewax on the nipples, or witchcraft or anything like that, no, no, no. Just a couple of hundred kids running around in their underwear acting like complete animals."

Posted by: blair at January 5, 2008 8:05 AM

I recently discover that most of the people I know through my hsbands current job have never heard of Bloom County. Does anyone else remember Opus and Bill the Cat? Nothing like a blank look in response to a reference to age you instantly.

Posted by: Annie, The Evil Queen at January 5, 2008 6:06 PM

I must admit that I've never heard of that Dobler guy. But I HAVE seen Ferris Bueller, so I'm at least halfway there. :)

Posted by: Zandria at January 6, 2008 9:45 PM

Dude! I fully agree. I often make Hughes references on the site and in real life; it surprises me how often they're met with blank stares. Funny thing is, there's plenty of X'ers that miss them as well - too many people grow up too fast. I always felt we would be the first generation to hold on to a sense of childish fun, something not so stuffy to offer our children as we bring them up. I'm glad to see someone else is getting caught looking like the old man :P
I'll always see Lloyd Dobler as the underwear-hat wearing Bryce, though. Much easier to compete with that ;)

Posted by: old ass tesco at January 7, 2008 6:03 AM

AMEN!
I couldn't believe when a late teen age girl I work with didn't catch one of my Molly Ringwald references. What the heck? Actually...I don't know if I'm Generation X? I don't remember ever actually saying that about mine. what would qualify me? I do have an abiding love for John Cusack. That should count me in right there.

Posted by: geek-betty at January 7, 2008 9:21 PM

Love this post and I love you! According to your time frame I'm a Gen Y. Woohoo! I feel young again ;)

My final paper was about how to communicate with Gen Y, what media to use, what media to avoid and some background like how they view life and relationships.

Posted by: Nadine at January 8, 2008 10:14 AM

I disagree with your statement about Us Y'rs not embracing pop culture. We may not actively seek it but this is only because it's basically everthing we do.

Also Gen Y was actually between 1975/80 and 1999

Posted by: at May 29, 2010 11:32 PM

"Lloyd Dobler, alright" "Joe lies, Joe lies, Joe lies, when he cries" "kickboxing, it's the sport of the future"

I'm a last of the baby boomers (born '61) and I love this movie and watch it every chance I get. Lloyd Dobler is the man. I'm a good person but Lloyd's a great person.

This movie is a classic and I recommend it to anyone who somehow has never seen it. Diane Court is the ideal girlfriend. Smart, sweet and beautiful.

Posted by: Mike G. at August 11, 2010 10:29 PM