January 21, 2008

The Weekend Recap: Depressed Snowmen and Shoeless Pimps

When I left you on Friday, we had an upright snowman gracing our backyard. Sometime on Friday night, he went on a bender and ended up face down in the snow.

There are a myriad of potential causes - gravity, the brief warm spell or a desperate cry for help. Assuming the worst, we've removed sharp objects from the backyard and stripped him of anything with which he could do himself harm. Especially the grill. There were, of course, other things involved in the weekend aside from the snowman suicide watch.

We did nothing on Friday night. Except vegged out and plowed into the home-stretch of the last season of 24. On Saturday, we hung around the house and did some hardcore playing. Mia and I went for a long walk during which she insisted on making and throwing snowballs at everything. Unfortunately for her, the making of snowballs is helped by mittens. The throwing of snowballs? Not so much. Then we (or, rather, Beth) baked some ziti. Really. That's not a euphamism for anything dirty (hey baby, would you like to bake my ziti?). We had a potluck work party to head to...which we did with Mia in tow. It was a nice night. Mia played with all the other kids and we managed to get her out the door just before she completely and utterly lost her shit. We got her home, calmed her down and insisted that the glitter on her red sparkle-shoes could in fact be glued back on. Yep. That was the trigger. Shoes. Great. Another woman in the house obsessed with shoes. I'm so screwed.

Speaking of shoes, on Sunday we ate waffles, watched Backyardigans and, eventually, went shopping. It was during this shopping extravaganza that Mia found the shoes she couldn't in any way live without. And for a whopping $5 we were completely willing to oblige. If you see a midget pimp missing his boots, steer him my way. I think I might know where they are.

Posted by Chris at January 21, 2008 7:11 AM
Comments

Dude. You freaked me out with that recap of the recap there. Had me thinking I was maybe still asleep..

Posted by: Hazel at January 21, 2008 7:37 AM

Posted by: Hazel at January 21, 2008 7:44 AM

Gotta love the hot pink boots. Soon I'll have my own little partner in shoe crimes. I can hardly wait!

I'm guessing from the tone of your post that Beth's water did NOT break in the middle of the dinner party. Or was that what caused the glitter to fall from poor Mia's shoes?

Posted by: ocdcontrolfreak at January 21, 2008 8:11 AM

Hey--you guys are back on Bloglines :-)

LOVE Mia's boots. I don't suppose they had them in adult sizes?

Posted by: Alissa at January 21, 2008 8:12 AM

Hey, shoes are serious business. And I can understand Mia's concern about the red sparkly shoes. When I was a little girl, I wanted a pair ruby slippers like Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz with all of my being. If I'd had a pair, and a sequin had fallen off, I would have been devastated.

Love the pink boots.

Posted by: bad penguin at January 21, 2008 8:37 AM

hey now....there's nothing wrong with a healthy shoe addiction, er, fondness. Wait until she gets hooked on PURSES! Shoes you can get away with for a few hundred bucks but purses, oh purses you can drop close to a thousand easy. But don't tell my husband ok?

Posted by: Greta at January 21, 2008 8:46 AM

Oh you are raising her the "right way". She adores shoes & she is only 2!!
Great way to start a Monday

Posted by: Dee at January 21, 2008 9:28 AM

Oh you are raising her the "right way". She adores shoes & she is only 2!!
Great way to start a Monday.

Posted by: Dee at January 21, 2008 9:29 AM

Love the pictures of Mia.
Yes you do have to watch those snowmen. They get carried away sometimes!

Posted by: Maribeth at January 21, 2008 9:44 AM

She really is adorable :0)
Pol x

Posted by: Pol at January 21, 2008 9:48 AM

Great pink boots! She's so fashionable!

Happy Dr. King Day!

Posted by: coolchick at January 21, 2008 9:56 AM

I love the boots - girls got style ;)

Posted by: Jules at January 21, 2008 9:59 AM

I've never baked ziti in my life. Somehow that feels like a major failing, but I'm not sure why. Come to think of it, I don't know that I've ever bought ziti.

Good heavens, I am a complete failure as a home cook.

Posted by: Alias Mother at January 21, 2008 10:26 AM

Those boots look like they're made for walkin'. Etc. Etc.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at January 21, 2008 10:32 AM

I'm not much of a girly girl, but I love a new pair of shoes. Word.

Posted by: Anastasia Beaverhausen at January 21, 2008 10:41 AM

Once my kid (now 17) lost her shit over a waffle. Yes, I said waffle. A whole day was lost because I cut up said waffle, per her instructions, and despite my Holy Motherly Goodness, I was unable to reassemble it into a whole waffle, per her request.

Sometimes they get so outside themselves they don't know what to do but freak. I wish I could do that more often, without fear of institutionalization.

It gets better.

In, oh, say...20 years.

Posted by: Julia at January 21, 2008 10:42 AM

Love the boots!!! On occasion when I can't find the shoes I wanted to wear that day, I still come close to 'losing my shit' (as you say). :-P

Posted by: Krush at January 21, 2008 11:01 AM

The pink shoes are so not my type, but they're adorable on her. And if it takes just five bucks to make the girl happy, I suppose they can't be all bad. Now when she grows up and her shoes start becoming more expensive, then you've got a problem.

Posted by: Caryn at January 21, 2008 12:02 PM

She definitely has fantastic fashion sense. I'm loving the boots. The picture of her standing in front of the window totally had me flashing forward 14 years. Same girl, same pose, same love for shoes, day dreaming...

Posted by: SassyPants at January 21, 2008 12:14 PM

I have all grown kids, and boys at that, but OH! MY! Can I identify! Yes, kids can certainly lose their shit over something that seems so inconsequential to us.

I totally had to laugh, tho, when a commenter said her daughter couldnt put her daughter's waffle back together. . . I had the most similar problem. . .tho with a cheeseburger. . . in a military chowhall, in front of a bunch of soldiers. . . all because he wanted it cut, then I couldnt put it back together when he changed his mind. . .I lost my mother of the year status for sure at that time. . . (he's 25 now! he was 2 then!) Kids are SO wonderful!

Mia is absolutely beautiful and such a pleasure to read about! Thanks for sharing :)

Posted by: 3jaysmom at January 21, 2008 12:51 PM

Stylin' footwear, Miss Mia.

Posted by: Sphincter at January 21, 2008 12:54 PM

This reminds me of Snowmen At Night, a very cute picture book. It tells what they do at night. Yours must have had an x-rated version....

Posted by: Wendy at January 21, 2008 12:59 PM

I love that she's so young and so into her pink shoes. My niece is really similar.

Posted by: sandra at January 21, 2008 1:18 PM

Those pink boots are rad! I want some!

Posted by: Zandria at January 21, 2008 1:52 PM

Great pink boots! And I love looking at the photos of the snow...we don't get that out here. *sniff*

Posted by: Dawn at January 21, 2008 1:55 PM

she's pimpolicious in those hot pink boots!

sorry to hear about your snowman. may he rip.

Posted by: kimmyk at January 21, 2008 2:51 PM

Dude - you watch 24? I know you mentioned it on a previous post but for some reason, I can't imagine you watching it.

I'm on season 6 myself and I want to like this show but do you get weirded out by the seemingly pro-Bush message this Fox show appears to be sending ("yes, let's mindlessly torture all suspects - they are always guilty and they always know something!"). Or is it just me reading way into things?

Posted by: Rengirl at January 21, 2008 3:15 PM

LOL, I love those boots! So girly!
And that's a very sad looking snowman! Poor thing.

Posted by: Jenty at January 21, 2008 3:22 PM

And so the shoe fetish begins... I can see it now, a closet just for shoes by the time she's a teenager. hee hee

Posted by: ewe_are_here at January 21, 2008 3:53 PM

Poor Mr. Snowman. If only you had heard his pleas before it was too late!

Glad your weekend was good. Tell Mia she rocks at picking out shoes :-)

Posted by: samantha jo campen at January 21, 2008 5:06 PM

My youngest has some hot pink boots very similar to Mia's. She wears them EVERYWHERE and with everything. Be prepared for all kinds of strangers to comment on how cute her boots are.

Posted by: anna at January 21, 2008 5:39 PM

She has great taste in shoes! They are really cute!

Posted by: SleepyNita at January 21, 2008 6:03 PM

Re snowman: oh noes!

Re Mia: OMG (you know the rest, same as always)

Posted by: Poppy at January 21, 2008 6:04 PM

every girl needs a pair of pink boots. i think it's mandatory.

Posted by: kat at January 21, 2008 7:41 PM

My gosh, her hair is so long! She's like a full fledged little girl! There's no more baby left in her!

And those boots are TOTALLY hot! :o)

Posted by: Emily at January 21, 2008 9:39 PM

I'm not a pink gal, but those shoes work on Mia.

Posted by: Maria at January 22, 2008 5:54 AM

My niece has those same boots. She thinks they're the bees knees.

Posted by: GreenCanary at January 22, 2008 10:19 AM

i just finished reading water for elephants, by sara gruen, so your midget reference in relation to mia's boots has me all mussed up... hmm.

Posted by: jessica at January 22, 2008 5:46 PM

Ok. I thought the Mia on the right was the Real Mia and the Mia on the left was the corresponding Mirror Reflection Mia. It took me an embarrassing amount of time to puzzle out that it was Two! Separate! Photos!

Wow.

Posted by: Paige at January 22, 2008 6:16 PM

Dude, the Backyardigans stay with me for like 24 hours straight. It's like kiddie song crack.

Posted by: Aimee Greeblemonkey at January 22, 2008 11:45 PM

You've gotta get Mia "Snowmen at Night".....it will explain it all. Oh, and love the boots. I spent years looking for the perfect red cowgirl boots :o)

Posted by: JamesMommy at January 23, 2008 11:34 AM

oh the boots! we have the same pair. And it's the SECOND pair, because when she grew out of her first pair, we HAD TO GET HER ANOTHER PAIR!

I have to say, I love them too. NOthing like a little girl in pink boots.

Next you may need the cow girl hat :)

Posted by: amy at January 24, 2008 10:49 AM

Quelqu'un peut-il me dire comment obtenir les avatars peu à montrer dans ma section des commentaires? merci!

Posted by: Lancel at November 18, 2011 4:44 AM