January 14, 2008

The "Oh Crap We're Having A Kid Soon" Honey-Do Weekend

The weekend, she was a busy one. In any given weekend, there's a lot of full-contact playing that must be done. This weekend was no exception. We played, we read, we sang silly songs. We danced and told stories and even stayed up late and had a pajama party complete with strawberry milkshakes. But we also discovered something - we have less than a month before Wally is born. And there's a crapload of stuff to do. To make a long story short, this is how I ended up with my very own "honey do" list.

(Aside: I've always thought the term "honey do" was stupid and vaguely condescending. When I was young, naive and decidedly not married, I always idiotically wondered why people were making lists of melons. To say that my IQ increased exponentially with my Beth's arrival would be an understatement.)

Here's how the list now stands:

- balance washing machine
- install ceiling fan in nursery
- get car fixed
- fix Mia's sink
- replace basement light
- replace garage light
- clean car
- bolt shelves in basement to wall
- repair basement vent
- tighten toilet seats
- install car seats
- load old ipod full of kid songs
- fix master bath sink drain
- pack stuff for the hospital
- hang Mia's sign

It should be apparent from this list that we've got a bunch of new-home-ownership-related tasks we've been putting off. Or, in some cases, things we fixed that later caused other things to become, uh, unfixed. Not all of them are directly Wally-related either. But we would like to have a relatively stable environment in which to care for our infant. Mia has become quite adept at fending for herself.

Of particular note is the car repair. The trip to the dealer was originally intended to be innocent - get a headlight replaced, the oil changed and the state inspection performed. The innocence was quickly lost with a rather passionate phone call from the dealer who implored me to fix various critical things then forced me to grab my ankles and empty my bank account to the tune of $1600. I didn't even get a reach-around. But I guess that's what happens when you choose to drive a neat little German car.

So, I'm tired but it's all terribly worth it. Because, while toiling away, I also got to spend some wonderful time with Mia. We even made it out of the house, taking advantage of the nice weather and walking around the neighborhood. The neighbors really got a good idea of her fashion sense too.

The outfit was all her doing. And, yes, I know what you're thinking - she kinda looks like Strawberry Shortcake crossed with a pimp.

What did you do with your weekends?

Posted by Chris at January 14, 2008 6:07 AM
Comments

Lordy, all Mia needs is a 'pimp cup'!

Sounds like you had a productive weekend. Kudos to you!

Posted by: coolchick at January 14, 2008 6:32 AM

My honey's had a big list of "dos" for the past month. Only I've never actually gone to the trouble of writing them down. I usually just pick my moments to mention WE (meaning he) need to...

I know all about the dealer calls too. How is it that just pulling in for an oil change causes them to recommend ridiculous-hundred dollar services for your less than two year old car? Last visit included about $400 worth of "services that are due"

Posted by: hrmommy at January 14, 2008 6:51 AM

Mia cracks me up, dude. Kids are hilarious when they dress themselves.
And I did nothing. I worked. Wee. And got ready for class, which starts today. Wee.

Posted by: Cassandra at January 14, 2008 7:05 AM

That outfit is awesome. We get some doozies over at our place too.

Although filled with far less actual work (and I took care of my car repair ankle grabbing last week) my weekend was good nonetheless; highlighted by taking our daughter ice skating for the first time (and yes, there are pics).

Posted by: SciFi Dad at January 14, 2008 7:23 AM

Sorry about the car repair. I traded the lovely German car for a fabulous Japanese one so I wouldn't have to bend over like that anymore.

On a not really sad note, I am have a lot more free time in the near future that was anticipated but ended up needing to start sooner than expected. I have never been happier. Sometimes things happen for the best!

Good luck getting ready for Wally. I am hoping everything goes great and I can't wait to read all about it.

Posted by: goodsnake at January 14, 2008 7:46 AM

Took my 7 year old to run in his first full race on his own (ie first race where I didn't run too and watch him disappearing into the distance as I slogged after him). He rocked it, and if you want to see a photo of sheer competitive drive in a 7 year old boy, it's on my blog. Unfortunately I didn't get a photo of him wrapped up in the thermal tinfoil blanket he found in his goody bag!

Posted by: Loth at January 14, 2008 7:50 AM

Mia reminds me of Penny Lane from Almost Famous in those pics. Well, except for the drugged out floozy part.

Posted by: Shelly at January 14, 2008 8:18 AM

We had a weekend of "Oh crap we are having a baby" too. We did a bunch of baby prep. I also bought a domain name and transfered my blogspot account to it. New domain is www.ourfamilyof4.com

Posted by: Josh at January 14, 2008 8:25 AM

Delurking to say that the photos of Mia are priceless! I laughed out loud. What a great way to start the week.

Posted by: Amanda at January 14, 2008 8:27 AM

That is one awesome outfit! She is just too cute for words.

Posted by: Jessie at January 14, 2008 8:54 AM

I just went to the Strawberry Shortcake website and looked up her friends. They are total Hookers and yes Strawberry is probably the Madame.

Posted by: william at January 14, 2008 8:55 AM

Ha! A pimp crossed with Strawberry Shortcake. Yup, that about covers it. Of course, she pulls it off with great aplomb!
I mostly spent the weekend lying around feeling like crap. It's my favourite activity of late. Oh, and I played piano at a funeral. Whee.

Posted by: Heather at January 14, 2008 9:00 AM

God, you know Chris, that is so weird.
I am wearing the EXACT same outfit today!
Is uh....is, uh, that NOT acceptable office attire??
Shoot.

Posted by: Caitlin at January 14, 2008 9:13 AM

I love your daughter's sense of style. She looks very cute.

As for my weekend. Saturday - breakfast out and errands with Don, followed by a football game.
Sunday - cooking in the morning followed by two football games and some crocheting.

You see, my kids don't live here any more. But to be honest, I miss having kids in the house, even though it is a lot more hectic.
Cas

Posted by: cassie-b at January 14, 2008 9:31 AM

Ahhhhhh, must have been something in the air this w/end b/c now that I am in my 2nd trimester and got my energy back I was feeling SUPER motivated... so I TOO made a list only I call it the "Pre-baby Doo" list :)... the name works on two levels...
I was shocked at the shear length of it... which means, I need to get moving... so does the hubby!!!

Posted by: Stephanie at January 14, 2008 9:38 AM

Mia's Strawberry ShortPimp!

This weekend was all about napping and reading.

Posted by: GreenCanary at January 14, 2008 9:52 AM

My, that girl is so FANCY! She looks like icing on a really sweet cupcake! Our weekend was a lot like yours...endless stuff going on around the house. We'd start planting stuff for Spring, but I know Mother Nature has one or two more hefty freezes in store for us.

Posted by: a beaverhausen at January 14, 2008 9:54 AM

Tell me how to balance a washing machine. Ours keeps wanting to live in the spare bedroom and as much as I tell it "no", it relents.

Saturday morning I was at the local library doing homework while the BFF went through her first rehearsals for Vagina Monologues 2008. Then we went to the local better than Whole Foods Whole Foods, hit the thrift store (where I got awesome shoes for $5), then home for a weekend of laziness.

Yesterday, I spent the entire day anticipating the new episode of Hannah Montana that aired last night, because I love that show and also because Joey Fatone was on. In gold pants.

Posted by: Sparkle Pants at January 14, 2008 10:03 AM

Looks like she has quite some personality! So cute!

My first thought was actually: Look! Elton john!

It's the glasses... I am sure he'd love those!

Penny Lane totally true as well.

Posted by: mikkie at January 14, 2008 10:06 AM

The weekend? Football. I'd been hoping to see the two Mannings play against each other in the Super Bowl but twas not to be.

Love Mia's look. Our middle girl was (and still is) like that.

Oh, and I finally made the lasagna I've been promising Ray since he came home from the hospital.

And reorganized the pantries.

Went for coffee at Barnes & Noble and ran into my older son, home on an unexpected weekend leave. He swears he was about to call me.

My exciting life.

Posted by: ann adams at January 14, 2008 10:11 AM

Installing the ceiling fan is STILL on our list, 4 months later. There's one in there but it doesn't match. The little guy came early and lo and behold, this chore never got done.

Posted by: claire at January 14, 2008 10:31 AM

Her pimp hand looks strong. Representin' EAST SIIIDE in the second shot. Nice.

Yeah, that honey-do list looks familiar. Our house was amazing when we brought home our first kid due to a lot of preparations. We even put in new carpet in the whole house so she could crawl on something clean. Of course it was all down hill from there. ;)

Posted by: Brad at January 14, 2008 10:50 AM

What a total hot cutie!

We went to see Juno. What a great movie. I reviewed it today on Dackel Princess.

Posted by: Maribeth at January 14, 2008 10:56 AM

Elton John has shrunk in his old age.

The dealer always rapes you. They rape everyone. They're equal-opportunity rapists, as far as that goes....they don't discriminate. Surely in the greater NOVA metro area you can find a nice little shop that works on foreign imports.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at January 14, 2008 11:13 AM

Admit it... You're daughter is simply copying what she sees her father doing? We know you have the same outfit. No wonder the dealer stuck you for $1,600. He figured you could afford it.

Posted by: Johnny Smoke at January 14, 2008 11:14 AM

Shortcake-Pimp yeah maybe or is she just channeling Elton John?

Posted by: Regina at January 14, 2008 11:26 AM

you seem like an extremely handy guy to have around.

Posted by: kalisah at January 14, 2008 11:40 AM

That outfit is BRILLIANT. She should start a fashion advice blog!

Posted by: heels at January 14, 2008 11:57 AM

She is freakin' adorable!

Posted by: The Bug at January 14, 2008 12:52 PM

Ok, six of those items are things you added to the list yourself. I don't think I should get blamed.

Posted by: Mrs. Cactus at January 14, 2008 1:42 PM

Clearly Mia is heading for a Joan Rivers-ish career in Fashion and Fashion Critique. Adorable! :)

Posted by: Laura at January 14, 2008 1:59 PM

Oh man, FreezeM will be SO jealous when he sees your list! His can only be printed on one page with the caps set to 8.

Posted by: Nadine at January 14, 2008 2:17 PM

Cute outfit, Ms. Superfly!

Had a child-full weekend here, my girls had sleepovers and playdates, we hosted a sleepover during which we made pizza and chocolate chip cookies from scratch (totally confusing one little girl who thought that cookie dough only came out of a tube). We caught a flick (Enchanted), purchased swim goggles, went to swimming classes and removed our kitten from hanging by the claws in the curtains 1,753 times. It was fun. Not restful, but fun.

Posted by: alison at January 14, 2008 3:00 PM

Love when kids dress themselves!! So cute! Maybe we should all take lessons from them... or maybe not.

Posted by: Kelly at January 14, 2008 3:16 PM

i have never heard of a "honey do" list!!!

Posted by: ali at January 14, 2008 3:24 PM

That girl's got style, that's for sure :-)

My weekend? I found a new place to live. And bought a car. And saw a hockey game and went out to dinner and brunch and dinner again. And then promptly collapsed into a puddle of exhaustion on Sunday morning.

Posted by: Dawn at January 14, 2008 3:25 PM

I think Mia looks GREAT. I have that same outfit.

I spent the weekend eating. That's about it.

Posted by: Janet at January 14, 2008 3:49 PM

I simply can't let my husband see this. His list is three times as long as yours.

Posted by: whimsy at January 14, 2008 3:56 PM

She could be the teeny-tiny mayor of Funkytown!

Posted by: Annie, The Evil Queen at January 14, 2008 6:10 PM

LMAO! I totally was thinking Strawberry Shortcake...that is hilarious! She looks like she needs a cane or walking stick and she's all set.

She is adorable!

Good to hear your honey-do list is dwindling. Just in time too it appears. A month will fly by. Man oh man....Good luck getting the rest done.

Posted by: kimmyk at January 14, 2008 7:25 PM

Ok, that is waaaay too much cuteness for those pictures...and I agree with the person who said all she needs is a pimp cup! (strawberry shortcake style of course) I spent the weekend with family visiting from Jersey and had another Christmas! :)

Posted by: Dana at January 14, 2008 7:26 PM

If I had this list and all those things still weren't crossed off I would FLIP OUT that the baby would come just to spite me.

Not that *you* should do that... :D

Posted by: Poppy at January 14, 2008 7:48 PM

looks like you got a lot crossed off your list, it didn't look *too* bad!!

mia is adorable.. way to go with the pimp jacket.

Posted by: skinny at January 14, 2008 8:00 PM

You're such a good Dad/Hubby! :)

Posted by: alli at January 14, 2008 8:29 PM

Diva in the making!

I'll bet you're ready for a little more blue around your house.

My kids went to a birthday party which included bike riding, racing, and lots of loud kids. It was exhausting. My kids were the loudest which is making me wonder how I'm going to survive with an infant in the house. Boys are so rowdy.

Posted by: Nila at January 14, 2008 11:16 PM

And here I thought it was just women that got.......at the dealer's!!

Love the pics....adorable!!

Posted by: Judy at January 14, 2008 11:20 PM

You must drive a VW then!

I just had the best ever car repair news today. My ABS light had been on for a while (comes on at 20km/hour and ABS system fails - no big deal except in the cold white north where I am) and I had estimates anywhere from 800$ to rebuild a control module to 3000$ for a hydraulic pump and new control module. Given that I do have a primary degree in Electronics Engineering, it didn't make sense to me given everything works at 20km/hour. So I took it to the "non dealership" German Car Nazi... I mean enthusiasts.... and they called me with an $80 repair bill today, for a corroded wiring harness (granted I have spent 100$ getting things diagnosed to this point).
Woot Woot!

Mia looks too cute in those paparatzi photos!

Posted by: SleepyNita at January 15, 2008 1:13 AM

Mia looks like a Movie Stah!

I worked. Same old story.

Posted by: Maria at January 15, 2008 4:28 AM

I shoveled...and shoveled...and shoveled. New England Nor'Easters are really condusive to that. And, well, hefty elbow bending of the Aleve bottle, my best friend. I also watched "Thumbsucker" and the You Tube of 10 MPH about a guy riding a Segway across the United States. Made that whole shoveling experience,ah..... fall into perspective.

Mia rawks the igloo! I should don such an outfit for my ministrations to the driveway. I think a thermos of hot mulled wine would add to the ambiance.

Just not this early in the morning.

Oh, hell...why not?

Posted by: Julia at January 15, 2008 8:22 AM

:P There's a guy I've gone to dinner with a few times, and last time we got back to the house, I said, "Look, I know we don't know each other well enough for you to do my honey do's, but my shower's broken..." This kid has INSANE numbers of tools. Do you know how many I have? Three. Did I have the right ones? No. Did he fix it? Yes, the little rockstar did.

This weekend? I relaxed. And decided I'm buying a kitchen faucet.

I totally love Mia's fashion sense.

Posted by: Emily at January 15, 2008 8:22 AM

Holy rockstar Mia!

Posted by: Aimee Greeblemonkey at January 15, 2008 10:37 AM

Got engaged!!

Mia looks very cool.

Posted by: Katherine at January 15, 2008 10:46 AM

Dude, it sounds like someone***ahem - Beth*** is nesting.

Posted by: zanie at January 15, 2008 6:03 PM