January 18, 2008

The Weeklies #19

Hey, guess what? It's Friday. Do the obligatory happy dance. Here are The Weeklies.

The Weekly "Damn The Internet Is Cool" Factoid. The Library of Congress has a flickr site where they're posting thousands of archival shots. How cool is that? (Thanks Leah!)

The Weekly Reads. I only managed to power through one book this week, Harlan Coben's One False Move. I love Coben's Myron Bolitar series. They're funny yet remain good, solid mysteries. This one is no different, although One False Move is perhaps a little darker than the novels that came before it. If you want a quick, entertaining read, do yourself a favor and start at the beginning (Deal Breaker) and enjoy the ride.

The Weekly Music. Did you see The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou? If not, you simply must. If so, you might recall the member of Team Zissou who did nothing but play his acoustic guitar and sing. That would be Seu Jorge. Lucky for us, he released The Life Aquatic Studio Sessions. Here are all of Jorge's greatest hits from the movie. Why should you care? They're all David Bowie covers. Still not intrigued? They're sung in Portuguese. The album is absolutely fantastic. Give it a whirl. Also give a whirl to This Is Somewhere by Grace Potter & The Nocturnals. Seriously. Potter and her band turn out churning rock and roll in the true sense of the term. Think of what Sheryl Crow would sound like if she didn't care about radio airplay and stopped catering to the adult-contemporary markets.

The Weekly Clarifying Comment. Per my post about preschool, I can't say that, when push comes to shove, I'd actually attend church just to get my kid into a school. It made for a nice hypothetical but I feel as though I would be misrepresenting my own beliefs while, at the same time, marginalizing the beliefs of those who were there because they had the faith that I didn't.

The Weekly Schadenfreude. O.J. was back in court, Britney can't visit her kids and is, as a result, trying to get knocked up (and may suffer from a multiple personality disorder), Tom Cruise continued to be a wacky scientologist all over the damn place and Paula Abdul is preparing to perform at the Superbowl half-time show (seriously). Yep, just a normal week.

The Weekly Weather Event (and Accompanying Picture). Snow!

Posted by Chris at January 18, 2008 5:59 AM
Comments

Whew-hew--first commenter. I'm honoured. I hadn't heard the Paula Abdul news. That will be a mess worth checking out.

Posted by: Susan at January 18, 2008 6:22 AM

I'm loving Mia and her snowman. I sure do miss the snow. And our weather down here is all screwy.

Posted by: hrmommy at January 18, 2008 6:23 AM

Great snowman shot! I love Mia's red cheeks.

I'd have a snub-nosed (or pencil-nosed?) snowman because I don't keep any regular-sized carrots in the house. I only keep those little, baby carrots around. Maybe I'd need to make an appropriate-sized snowman to match the baby carrot noses that I have on hand.

Eh, I guess it doesn't matter until I have a kid of my own to go out with and make a snowman.

Happy Weekend!

Posted by: ironic1 at January 18, 2008 7:04 AM

I really like the Harlan Coben books. Even his non-myron bolitar novels are pretty enjoyable.

Posted by: sarah at January 18, 2008 7:37 AM

I like the snowman's somewhat exultant arm posing! Like, \n/ Hooray! ;-)

Posted by: Heather at January 18, 2008 7:42 AM

I just started reading Coben. The Woods was the first one and I finished Deal Breaker in December. I look forward to reading more of his stuff when I get the chance.

Posted by: william at January 18, 2008 8:18 AM

I am jealous you guys have snow (so much that my husband sat on a runway yesterday for an hour)... I live in CT and all we have is cold RAIN and grayness... how depressing.

Posted by: Stephanie at January 18, 2008 8:33 AM

I LOVE GRACE POTTER AND THE NOCTURNALS.

Sorry for shouting.

Also, didn't know that about the LC. That's awesome. If I were to go to library school, which I totally won't because I've had enough of working in libraries, it would be for archiving or special collections.

Posted by: Sparkle Pants at January 18, 2008 8:33 AM

I'm jealous of your snow. All we got was freezing rain. *sigh*

And, I'm loving that Library of Congress Flickr site. I was scrolling through there yesterday and those photos are really awesome.

Posted by: Alissa at January 18, 2008 8:35 AM

I'm so excited about the Library of Congress being on Flickr.

Reads: You just reminded me that I have Coben's entire backlist in my TBR pile.

Schadenfreude: I have been laughing about TC all week.

Weather: The NYC weathermen keep predicting snowstorms that never materialize. I'm rather disappointed because even though I HATE winter, I've been hoping for a blizzard. It would provide me with an excuse to stay home.

Posted by: Maria at January 18, 2008 8:36 AM

Is that how much snow you got yesterday? I was in Bethesda for a very quick trip this week before returning to Houston (at 7am!!) and there was nothing on the ground. Glad I got out when I did. Btw, the LOC also has a cool mp3 site of archival recordings. I don't have the URL handy but it's pretty easy to find and has some pretty crazy stuff.

Posted by: Johnny "Secondhand" Smoke at January 18, 2008 8:58 AM

Great snowman! When we got snow three weeks ago (out here in the wilds of Idaho) our snowman was mini compared to yours!

I love Harlan Coben! I am on the wait list at the library for his latest.

Posted by: Kali at January 18, 2008 9:13 AM

I had to laugh. I don't live but a state away and my snowman was about a foot tall.

Have a good weekend!

Posted by: BID at January 18, 2008 9:15 AM

Love Mia's snowman but if I wanted snow, I'd still be living in the middle of New York State.

Although it might be an improvement over the drizzle and fog. It's in the low 30's here at the moment.

Have a great weekend.

Posted by: ann adams at January 18, 2008 9:54 AM

I love Harlan Coben books.

I mentioned this to Beth, but I'm having surgery on Monday, so if I don't get around for awhile that's why... (not that you'd MISS me or anything! LOL!)

You'll be a great new Dad... heaven knows you are a great "old" one! ;)

Posted by: sue at January 18, 2008 10:22 AM

I love how proud she looks of her snowman!

(Will the spambot word change when the new bean arrives? Just curious.)

Posted by: kalisah at January 18, 2008 10:24 AM

RE: Harlan Coben. I got one of his books by accident and it was really good. I think as soon as I get down with the load of books that follow the line with life after the Star Wars movies (insert geek comment here, but it's really a cool read because you've got the actors voices in your head as your reading!)I'll start reading him.

RE: schadenfreude Britney: WTF? Can't she just go away and get better or treated or whatever? For someone who loves her kids and can't be without them, she's doing a good job of proving the courts and everyone in the other camp right!

RE: weekly weather & picture: I'd love to play in the snow...but I'd have to leave Florida! Great picture of the two of you!

Posted by: Michelle at January 18, 2008 10:48 AM

I just discovered Grace Potter & the Nocturnals a few months ago, when the song "Apologies" was used on a TV show and I became obsessed about finding out who the artist was. I bought the CD and love the whole thing. Since you are the coolest when it comes to music, I feel completely validated. Thank you, O Wise One!

Posted by: shelley at January 18, 2008 11:33 AM

Totally awesome snowman, Cactus! And the Miabean is as lovely as ever.
As for the rest? Well, isn't life getting stranger and stranger as the years roll on...

Posted by: Maribeth at January 18, 2008 11:33 AM

Paula Abdul. Who, exactly, is making these decisions? You'd think they'd have massive levels of filtering after 'Boob-gate' a few years ago in order to weed out potential train wrecks.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at January 18, 2008 12:03 PM

Super cute snow picture. Wish we had more snow here. Happy weekend~

Posted by: Michele at January 18, 2008 12:51 PM

Paula Abdul? Oy.

And if you like old photos, check out Shorpy.com.
Lots of old photos! I spend hours there some nights!

Posted by: Jen at January 18, 2008 12:54 PM

gah! i love you guys in the snow! too cute!

Posted by: ali at January 18, 2008 1:15 PM

Holy Shit! I've been looking for that music for two years. If you make me a copy I'll be your best friend.

Posted by: Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah at January 18, 2008 2:44 PM

How I wish snow was an "event" here. We have so much snow I think I am going to cry.

Good snowman... maybe that's my problem. Lack of snowmen.

Posted by: Nat at January 18, 2008 6:34 PM

Hey, I just got my first pictures of my kid in the snow this last weekend. Of course we had to fly to another state to get it!!

Happy Friday.

Posted by: Isabel at January 18, 2008 6:52 PM

Thanks for the heads up on the Studio Sessions album. I'm downloading it from iTunes as we speak.

That movie is fantastic.

Posted by: Whit at January 18, 2008 7:09 PM

It didn't snow that much where I was, and I'm not that far away from you! All we got was slush!

Posted by: Zandria at January 18, 2008 10:41 PM

P. S. I was checking Bloglines just now (early Sunday). Yours and Beth's feeds are finally highlighting.

Posted by: ann adams at January 20, 2008 11:20 AM

BLEEP, cute! Adorable! Can't stand it! Eeeeeeek!

Posted by: Poppy at January 20, 2008 12:37 PM

We got snow too! But are not nearly as industrious as you three are with the gargantuan snowman.

VERY cool about the Congressional Flickr site. Thanks.

Posted by: Aimee Greeblemonkey at January 20, 2008 2:34 PM

Where is your hat?!

(As a matter of fact, when I first type that I wrote "hate" instead of "hat". Freudian slip?)

Posted by: Arwen at January 21, 2008 9:10 AM

Well, Mia is bound to be hilarious, with her set of hilarious parents. :-)

Posted by: NM at January 21, 2008 11:14 PM

Whoops, that comment was meant for the other post of yours. I am catching up after a break obviously.

Posted by: NM at January 21, 2008 11:17 PM