February 20, 2008

Hoppity

In some parenting realms, I may go a bit too far. Like, when I told Mia that a bug I'd killed was going to be with Jesus. Perhaps I didn't need to say that. What I have noticed, however, is that her imagination is massive. I take that as a good sign that we're doing something right.

A couple of months ago, I started to tell her stories I made up off the top of my head at bedtime. They all revolve around Hoppity, a little girl bunny who lives in the woods with her mommy and her daddy...and now her baby brother. Hoppity has all kinds of adventures. She goes to woodland circuses, travels with her mommy and daddy to her grandparents' farm, and even goes sailing. She's accompanied by her friends Owl, Molly the butterfly, Steve the fish and a moose named Francisco.

Last night before bed, Mia wanted desperately to hold Owen for about the 86th time that day. I set them up and, almost immediately, Mia began to tell Owen a story. Once upon a time there was a little bunny named Hoppity. She lived in the forest with her mommy and her daddy... I almost collapsed with pride.

So, perhaps I go a little far sometimes. I've stopped telling Mia that dead bugs go to live with Jesus. But I love the fact that my kid has an imagination. It's incredible to see.

Posted by Chris at February 20, 2008 9:00 AM
Comments

It is moments like that, that make parenting (sometimes) worth it.

Now that you have a boy...Hoppity needs to carry a lightsaber.

Posted by: william at February 20, 2008 9:04 AM

Aww. You're definitely doing something right.

Posted by: Fraulein N at February 20, 2008 9:11 AM

That's so WONDERFUL!! Nuff Said!!!

Posted by: Stephanie at February 20, 2008 9:17 AM

Now all you need is a YouTube post of Mia doing this. You know you want to.

Posted by: a Beaverhausen at February 20, 2008 10:02 AM

You and Beth are such wonderful parents. I am proud to be one of your blogging friends.
Your children will be part of all that is right in this world!
Congratulations!
And lots of hugs!!!

Posted by: Maribeth at February 20, 2008 10:08 AM

It wont stop there either...my 5 yr old climbed up the ladder to the bunk of my 10 yr old and said "I love you brudder have a fun day" and plastered him with a slobbering kiss as he was on his way to pre k this morning.

Posted by: Steff at February 20, 2008 10:09 AM

OOPs...for the record the 10yr old is 11. Thankfully he does not read this blog...yet.

Posted by: Steff at February 20, 2008 10:10 AM

Bleep. again.

I love the bunny stories... *sniffle*

Posted by: Poppy at February 20, 2008 10:25 AM

I love that the moose's name is Francisco. I wish I had a moose friend named Francisco.

Posted by: GreenCanary at February 20, 2008 10:33 AM

Imaginations are a wonderful thing... A child without one is very lonely.

Don't let anyone squash that, and you should be very proud!

Posted by: Karen at February 20, 2008 10:35 AM

Awww, what a wonderful story! You guys totally rock as parents!

Posted by: Nadine at February 20, 2008 11:01 AM

That is THE best new sibling story I think I have ever heard!

BTW, we also make up stories (not with the consistency of yours since we just do them based on the subject Matthew chooses for us) before bed and Matthew loves them. AND I (we) have told Matthew that bugs that died were just sleeping and we should not disturb them so there... you are not the only one out there making shit up ;)!

Posted by: Christina at February 20, 2008 11:17 AM

Congratulations on your new blessing!
Looks like a storybook in the making . . .
Best wishes for a full and healthy recovery to Beth.
Peace . . .

Posted by: anni at February 20, 2008 11:34 AM

Oh my gosh! I think my heart just melted a little bit! How adorable!

Posted by: zanie at February 20, 2008 11:45 AM

Some of my fondest childhood memories are of my dad telling me stories about a little girl and her little brother who got lost in the Hundred Acre Wood one rainy night...

Posted by: rai at February 20, 2008 11:52 AM

A moose named Francisco?! LMAO. Oh yeah, and the kid is cute. As if I haven't told you that already like a gazillion times. ;)

Posted by: Tink at February 20, 2008 12:05 PM

Awww...I am so glad you take the time out for your little ones. Sadly, some daddies don't.

Posted by: Leah H. at February 20, 2008 12:47 PM

mia is totally telling me my bed time story when I visit...

Posted by: stinkerbell at February 20, 2008 12:48 PM

I can't be the only one who expected Mia's story to involve Hoppity winding up visiting Jesus, can I?

But still, that was darn cute. Must be nice to have everyone home.

Posted by: SciFi Dad at February 20, 2008 1:04 PM

That was completely adorable. Mia rules, and you rule, and just....awww :D
(Oh, and I've heard "All Dogs Go to Heaven" but all bugs? *shudder* I hope not :P)

Posted by: Heather at February 20, 2008 1:07 PM

Yup, my heart just melted.

Posted by: Jen, South Florida at February 20, 2008 1:24 PM

OMG! That is incredible! You've done good!
p.s. look I joined the blogsphere! ;-)

Posted by: Michelle at February 20, 2008 1:36 PM

Just out of curiosity...was Francisco the Moose gay?

Posted by: harrylips at February 20, 2008 1:54 PM

That is so sweet!! How special is that!!

Posted by: Jenty at February 20, 2008 2:33 PM

don't you just melt at those moments. Last night my son was rummaging around upstairs. I called up to him. He came halfway down the stair with his stuffed monkey over his shoulder. He was rocking him. He made the shushing motion to me. Then went back upstairs. I followed, and watched from the door to his room as he lovingly tucked monkey into bed and kissed him on the head.

Motherhood is the best drug I've ever taken.

Hugs and happiness to you and your new family.

Posted by: kelly at February 20, 2008 3:50 PM

Abby loves to spin elaborate stories. For her 3rd b-day, we found this awesome gift - the Cranium Storybook Creator. It lets them draw a story in dry-eraser markers, then record the story. As she got older, we had her make her own books. She staples paper together, writes the words, and illustrates. I also have some of the earlier stories on video and I actually wrote some of the more interesting ones down. One day, they will be an awesome keepsake.

Posted by: Jen at February 20, 2008 3:55 PM

That just rocks, Chris. It has to be awesome when you start to see your child's personality really come alive, and it's got to be even cooler when you realize that you've had some serious influence over it... and that the cool things are sticking.

Posted by: ironic1 at February 20, 2008 8:13 PM

Oh, Chris! I've been away again, and now you have Owen! Oh, my goodness!

Please give each of the ladies in your life a hug from the Boy and I, and then just take a deep breath of that baby smell we know Owen must have.

Feel better, Beth. I was thinking death would be preferable to my kidney stones, but I really can't remember the actual pain anymore.

Also, I say we draw up these Hoppity books of yours, sir!

Posted by: alektra at February 20, 2008 9:42 PM

AWWWWWWWW!!!!!!

Posted by: Haley-O at February 21, 2008 12:00 AM

Signs of a very intelligent little girl.

And I vote for a video of her story-telling too!

Posted by: Jules at February 21, 2008 10:36 AM

That's so amazing and makes me want to melt into a pile of goo and hormones.

Posted by: angela at February 23, 2008 8:26 AM

Ohhhh Chris that is precious!!!

Posted by: Tammy at February 25, 2008 12:37 AM

My sister, a preschool teacher, just posted on her blog about how she is seeing kids who don't understand how to use their imaginations. Isn't that sad? (Link off my blog if you are interested...)

It is great to hear your daughter is thriving in that department!

Posted by: RC at February 26, 2008 5:36 PM