February 18, 2008

Owen's First Week

It's impossible for me to believe it, but Owen's been in our lives for a little over a week. While the time spent in the hospital crept along at the pace of a legless dog chasing cars, the days following the hospital stay have flown.

...check out the whole set at flickr...

As I mentioned before, I was pretty nervous about Owen's arrival for a few different reasons.

Concern #1: How would Mia feel when she discovers she's no longer the center of the known universe?
Mia is thrilled to be a big sister. She wants to hold Owen constantly and, when doing so, showers him with kisses. She runs to him when he cries, holds his pacifier in and eagerly helps change every dirty diaper. I'm still waiting for the other baby booty to drop. I know it will. But all-in-all, it really is following the best case scenario. And also proving my daughter to be the sweetest little girl in the world. Which I knew. It's just nice to see.

Concern #2: I'll never sleep again.
Not true...so far, at least. Owen sleeps like a champ. Of course, he's a week old. Week old kids are only slightly more animated than a head of cabbage. Both Beth and I have been able to catch some sleep. Mia's helped by actually sticking to our evening routine and not protesting too much when bedtime rolls around.

Concern #3: Beth's recovery time.
Mia was delivered by c-section making it almost a lock that Owen would be too. But we decided to chance in largely because the recovery time with a traditional birth is so significantly shorter. But that was not to be. So, Beth can't drive for another week. She can't pick up Mia and rolling around on the floor to play is something of a challenge. I've been trying to fill the void as best I can, doing double the floor-rolling, the shopping, all the driving and pitching in with the chores like laundry. Seriously, how can four people - two of whom are Oompa-Loompa sized or smaller - generate this much laundry? Beth is well on her way to recovery. After these two weeks, though, I may need a hospital bed and some painkillers.

Concern #4: Clowns.
Sure, it has nothing to do with Owen but I don't like clowns. Happy to report that this past week has continued the streak of being 100% clown-attack free.

As you can tell, I don't have a hell of a lot of time on my hands but one thing I'm going to try to do this week is pulling together some of the CDs that I owe you guys. And of course that count is one higher since Erin's (currently blogless) guess about Owen's arrival date was the closest. Congrats Erin.

Enough. I've got to find a bucket of coffee. And a donut. Damn. I wish I hadn't thought of donuts. Now I really, really want a donut. Please someone, anyone help me justify a few donuts...

Posted by Chris at February 18, 2008 7:55 AM
Comments

I think you've earned a donut or two. And I'm sure you could use the sugar rush.

Posted by: Carolyn at February 18, 2008 8:02 AM

What do you mean 'help you justify a donut'? I just assumed you were already consuming your New Father of Two daily donut ration of no less than 2 donuts per day.
Since it appears you have not, I suggest you catch up post haste.

PS? He is stinkin' gorgeous, and Mia could not be more precious.

Posted by: Caitlin at February 18, 2008 8:28 AM

Clown free??? That's worth two donuts!

Posted by: DebbieDoesLife at February 18, 2008 8:29 AM

Donuts! easy to justify...think of all those extra "floor rolling calories" that you are using up.....you could probably eat two...

Then again...if you brought home a box...then you wouldn't have to limit yourself AND donuts are SURE to be a hit with Beth and Mia!

DONUTS DONUTS DONUTS!

wow....now I want a donut too! I guess the baby NEEDS one....I might have to comply!

Posted by: wn at February 18, 2008 8:32 AM

Oh my god...he's so beautiful. And Mia with him...there are no words!!

Also, I'd share my coffee with you but uh, I just finished it.

Posted by: Sparkle Pants at February 18, 2008 8:37 AM

I think you've all earned some donuts.

Posted by: Fraulein N at February 18, 2008 8:45 AM

Congratualtions to you all! You know, you were one of the first blogs I ever read, Beth was not even pregnant then. Now TWO. You are an inspiration to me to GET MOVING already! Seriously here's to happiness and love all around your nely expanded family.

Posted by: Michelle at February 18, 2008 8:50 AM

OMG! Owen is the most adorable boy I've ever seen! And since his sister is the most adorable girl, well, that makes the Cactus Fish family one fabulous looking family!
I knew Mia would be fine. She is so well grounded and has known nothing but love in her young life, so she will only be able to show love to Owen (at least right now! LOL).
Glad your family is home and safe. Beth looks fantastic! Tell her I said so!

Posted by: Maribeth at February 18, 2008 8:51 AM

My heartiest congratulations to you and your family. I wish you the very best.

Carol

Posted by: cassie-b at February 18, 2008 8:51 AM

Well, I'm truly glad to hear you've been 100% clown-attack free. Attacks at this point in time would be concerning, for sure :-)

Owen is adorable. And Mia, still adorable, and looking *so* big!

Posted by: Alissa at February 18, 2008 8:56 AM

Congratualtions to you all! You know, you were one of the first blogs I ever read, Beth was not even pregnant then. Now TWO. You are an inspiration to me to GET MOVING already! Seriously here's to happiness and love all around your newly expanded family.

p.s. I used to be smoochdog.com

Posted by: Michelle at February 18, 2008 8:57 AM

Thank the Gods that no clowns attacked this week. That would have been a bit much with the new kid and all.

Posted by: Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah at February 18, 2008 8:58 AM

It's President's Day. They would WANT you to have donuts. At least 6.

Posted by: Stephanie at February 18, 2008 9:10 AM

You NEVER have to justify donuts. But if you feel that you MUST, just say that the high sugar content will keep you awake to do more laundry and floor-rolling.

Posted by: GreenCanary at February 18, 2008 9:20 AM

I do believe I might be the Erin (blogless) who won the CD - wow! It does seem wrong that I should be getting something when Beth, Owen and the doctor did all of the work (not to mention you and your laundry duty!), but I'm never one to turn down cool new music, so yay! Seriously though, please don't be burning it anytime soon - you have WAY more important things to do, like (laundry!)taking more pictures of those two adorable kids and continuing to sleep while you can!

PS - I've heard that donuts keep clowns away. Might just be a rumor, but why chance it? Really, you've earned a donut or two.

Posted by: erin at February 18, 2008 9:31 AM

You DID do all that laundry. That's how I justify chocolate around here so I guess it could work for donuts too.

Posted by: Joanne at February 18, 2008 9:38 AM

BECAUSE! Eating a donut would really be paying a kind of ONE WEEK ANNIVERSARY tribute to your son...because donuts are really just a sugary letter "O"...which is the first letter of his name. The end.

Posted by: Anastasia Beaverhausen at February 18, 2008 9:40 AM

Maybe it's the lighting in the room, but has Beth lost weight since last week? Hmmmmmm.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at February 18, 2008 9:53 AM

What a sweetie. I love the photos. Congratulations again. I hope many donuts find their way to your busy home.

Posted by: Pocklock at February 18, 2008 9:55 AM

i'm glad mia loves him so much! i had a feeling that she would have no problem with no longer being an only child too :)

Posted by: Denise at February 18, 2008 10:00 AM

Owen is just adorable. And you've totally earned donuts!

Now, being the carseat freak that I am, I have to ask, is that snuggly thing in Owen's carseat going behind his back? Because I might have to turn you in to the carseat police if it is. ;-)

Posted by: Kelley at February 18, 2008 10:05 AM

what a pretty baby boy!
i bet he smells sweet too, huh? love that baby smell. [at least their heads anyways..lol]

i hope beth gets to feelin' better-she needs to take it slow.

good job owen on sleeping!! sleep is so not over rated if you ask me. i'd sleep alot more if i could.

congrats to your family. looking forward to watching owen [and mia] continue to grow strong and healthy!

Posted by: kimmyk at February 18, 2008 10:20 AM

Owen is beautiful. He really looks a lot like Mia. Glad to hear that you are getting some sleep and falling into a good routine. Hope you had your coffee and donuts this morning!

Posted by: coolchick at February 18, 2008 10:23 AM

He's beautiful. Hopefully he continues to love to sleep.

Posted by: Phoenix at February 18, 2008 10:24 AM

Congratulations!
What a handsome little one he is, and how lovely that Mia loves him too!

Posted by: blair at February 18, 2008 10:39 AM

He's adorable and I'm not at all surprised Mia's doing so well. She's been anticipating for months and she's being allowed to "help" which means she has attention too. Kudos to both of you for that.

Doing everything right has earned you a doughnut or two. Beth has earned a medal (unless she'd rather have the doughnut.

Posted by: ann adams at February 18, 2008 10:52 AM

Mmm...donuts

Posted by: Jules at February 18, 2008 10:53 AM

SOOO havppy for you the The Fish. He's gorgeous!
And REALLY glad to hear of a clown-attack free week. That's always a good sign.

Posted by: Greta at February 18, 2008 10:57 AM

if it makes you feel better...i've had three natural births and also did very little rolling around on the floor afterwards...hahahaha

Posted by: ali at February 18, 2008 11:28 AM

If only I could tell you that you'd make it to two weeks clown-attack free, but you know what they say about kid two....

Posted by: Mr Lady at February 18, 2008 11:53 AM

you just added a son to the crew meaning you are no longer outnumbered by females. ergo, doughnut!

Posted by: kimblahg at February 18, 2008 1:34 PM

Hmmmm........donuts..........

Posted by: David at February 18, 2008 2:36 PM

Dude, I am clown free here too. Get someone in Cali to chime in and that's coast to coast clownlessness.

Posted by: Aimee Greeblemonkey at February 18, 2008 3:31 PM

You have a remarkably beautiful family! May the glow if the newness never wear off. Okay, well, you know it's going to one day, but until then, enjoy your sleep.

Posted by: Shelly at February 18, 2008 7:31 PM

Oh Chris, your children and the photos are beautiful! Eat a million donuts. Life is good.

Posted by: Sharri at February 18, 2008 8:39 PM

He is so adorable!!!

Posted by: Mary at February 18, 2008 8:59 PM

People in the doughnut making industry must feed their children, too. Their products must be consumed to keep up demand. Help them out. Eat a doughnut for Chrissakes. Don't be a selfish bastard.

Posted by: Sphincter at February 18, 2008 10:55 PM

Congratulations and Much Love to you guys! Owen is absolutely beautiful. I'm so happy you are out of the pregnancy woods and onto the two little ones thrill ride. Best wishes on a speedy recovery for Beth and a happy time for you all.

Posted by: Heather at February 18, 2008 11:05 PM

he's adorable :) congrats

Posted by: geek-betty at February 18, 2008 11:35 PM

So glad that things are going well. You're son is beautiful. Enjoy the sleep and eat lots of donuts. You probably need a little sugar rush.

Posted by: Nila at February 19, 2008 1:20 AM

The photo's are wonderful!
Pol x

Posted by: Pol at February 19, 2008 4:04 AM

He's beutiful Chris!

Wishing you coffee and donuts.

Posted by: Maria at February 19, 2008 4:09 AM

Justify a donut? You never have to..but now with a newborn, Beth's recovery, extra laundry, etc.. you are owed as many as you want.

Posted by: Diane at February 19, 2008 9:38 AM

I tried to view these pictures on my Blackberry while I was out of town, but seriously - you can't see anything when it's that small.

I am astounded how much Owen looks like Mia did! Their mouths are almost identical, it seems!

You've got some mighty cute kids there, Chris. You and Beth did very well. :o)

Posted by: Emily at February 19, 2008 2:24 PM

It's AMAZING how much your body can handle when a new baby enters your life!!! :) Keep up the great work. Beautiful photos!!!

Posted by: Haley-O at February 21, 2008 12:03 AM

Congratulations!

Looks like a heart breaker already.

Posted by: Jenn at February 21, 2008 12:37 PM

Have you seen this article? http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/20080221/NEWS/73640747/1005/SPORTS0106

Warning: clown pic involved.

I'm afraid of clowns as well and this does NOT help!

Posted by: claire at February 21, 2008 2:41 PM

A day late and a dollar short, as per my usual. Congratulations on your new arrival, Chris, Beth and Mia! He's wonderful!

Posted by: Casey at February 22, 2008 9:47 PM

Congrats on such an awesome baby boy. Hope Beth is recovering better by now. I personally had a really really rough post partum, and something about giving birth in the wintertime seems to make recovery slower. But, she's got an awesome little helper to make things a little easier...plus she's got you! Superdad! Yay!

Guess what, Chris...we're moving to VA to start up a practice. Charlottesville, to be specific. And, I CAN'T wait!

Posted by: Dolly at February 24, 2008 10:25 PM