February 7, 2008

Political Inspiration

I live in Washington. You know, where that white house is. The one in which a particularly ill-mannered idiot has resided for nearly eight years. I live and work amongst lobbyists, politicians, reporters, bureaucrats, generals, and spin doctors. It's mind-bendingly strange at times. Like, getting stuck in traffic, looking to the right and seeing the ever-phallic Washington monument jutting out of the ground and suddenly realizing, "hi, I live in the most powerful town on the face of the earth." It's kinda cool, to be honest. But sometimes I think those of us inside the Beltway are a little too close to the action to see it objectively. And too jaded to be inspired.

Despite this proximity, the Virginia, Maryland and DC primaries have rarely had any impact coming so late in the primary season. Until now. As it turns out Super Tuesday was pretty super but slightly less than decisive. And after a lot of thought and consideration, I'm pretty sure I know who I'll be voting for.

Obviously, I'm not going to suddenly freak out and go Republican. I am a bleeding-heart liberal. That's probably not going to change any time soon. But weighing one Democratic candidate against another is pretty frustrating. There are subtle differences in how they'll handle issues but honestly the differences aren't that big. I've read about the issues. I've reviewed Hillary's issues and downloaded Obama's Blueprint For Change. Both have plans for transparency in government, universal healthcare, middle-class tax relief, education, global warming and equal rights. They're all good ideas. But eventually - after you look at the issues and decide it's a virtual wash - it comes down to personality. And who you'd trust to lead the country.

For a long time I feel like I've been talked at by candidates. They want me to believe in their vision of what they can do for this country. And that's it. Ideas, a platform. But sometimes, every generation or so, someone comes along who honestly seems as though they want to make a difference. Someone who creates a force larger than a platform. Someone who is inspirational. Someone who your gut just tells you is all about doing the right thing for the right reasons. That's why I'll be voting for Obama on Tuesday.

The political landscape has changed a little since I asked the first time so indulge me - who do you want to win? And what issues are the most important to you?

Posted by Chris at February 7, 2008 6:59 AM
Comments

I know what you mean. There really doesn't seem to be one clearly superior candidate this time around.

Ya know what you made me think of, which oddly hadn't ocurred(sp?) to me before now? I wonder how many men (particularly baby boomer types) will not vote for Hillary merely because they are just not ready for a woman president. I'm not saying there aren't other reasons to vote the other way, just that I never thought about that 'til this morning.

Posted by: ocdcontrolfreak at February 7, 2008 7:18 AM

I think the democrats put themselves in a tight spot where their two candidates will either put the first African American or the first woman in office. I wonder if John McCain who is quite moderate is the Republican nominee how that will swing things for those who like the last commenter mentioned are not ready for a woman or an African American in the White House. I am personally unhappy with all the choices to the point that I will most likely not vote.

Posted by: goodsnake at February 7, 2008 7:34 AM

In yesterday's newspaper a columnist wrote that if Dutch people were allowed to vote in the American elections, even if it was without actual consequences, the turnout would probably be higher than in the Dutch elections. He might have a point there.

One thing would be for sure: a Democrat would win.
In Dutch media the Republican candidates get hardly any attention.

As for Obama vs Hillary. Obama I agree has the passion and sincere ideals. (Just finished his book "Dreams from my father", very recommendable.)
However I do think Hillary might do a better job, simply because she knows how to play the game. It is one thing to have the ideas and another to know how to get these through the Washington circus.

On the other hand, what I've read and heard about McCain does not sound that bad either. Though I think I'd rather retire if I was 71...This is not exactly a job for a quiet old day.

But hey, whatever you choose, in the end, you guys get to vote on something that will actually have an impact and make a difference. Go with your heart and what you think will give the best future for your kids!

Posted by: mikkie at February 7, 2008 7:42 AM

If this means anything,coming from me who is Republican, I like Obama for the same reasons. Doing the right thing for the right reasons. If it comes down to Obama/Mccain...I may vote Obama.

Posted by: william at February 7, 2008 8:07 AM

I happen to be on the *other* side of the political spectrum - a tried and true conservative. That being said, there really isn't a viable (IMHO) conservative to vote for and I am actually considering (GASP) the other side of the fence.

If I continue on this path of insanity, Obama will certainly get my vote.

Posted by: Dana at February 7, 2008 8:10 AM

I too will be voting for Obama (I've got the t-shirt and bumper sticker to prove it). Of course if Hillary wins the nomination I will vote for her over McCain (or whichever Rep gets the nod). But there is something about her I don't like. Or trust. I'm not sure which it is. When I see her give an interview or in a debate I always feel like she's holding something back. Like there is this whole other part of her and what she WANTS to say but she won't say it. There are secrets there. I don't know what they are or if they even matter. But something in her eyes......I don't trust her.

Posted by: Greta at February 7, 2008 8:11 AM

Hey, somehow I never realized you lived in DC. I grew up there.. well, DC, then Rockville, Frederick and finally Hagerstown (my parents always said that as they felt the need to teach me how to throw knives they'd move further from the district, this was back during the riots). Glad to know you're up there!

Posted by: Meg at February 7, 2008 8:22 AM

I never talk politics, and I've never once shared who I've voted for. Ever. But I will tell you the issues that are important to me. Education. Health Care. The welfare system.

Posted by: Alissa at February 7, 2008 8:24 AM

Well, obviously I'm not voting in your election since I'm Canadian and all, but I'll give my opinion anyway, seeing how we get all your political ads anyway ;-)
I like the idea of a woman in the White House, but not enough to vote for Hillary. It sounds really stupid, I know, but I have some doubts about her integrity that I can't get past.
I like Obama, and I like McCain. I have complicated sorts of moral standings that make it difficult to be entirely on one side or another. Probably I'd end up going Obama, though.
I'm still naive enough to be thrilled by the idea of voting. That we each and collectively have that sort of power is pretty incredible, and yes the system is so messed up, but I'll just throw a little Churchill in here: "Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the other kinds."

Posted by: Heather at February 7, 2008 8:25 AM

Well, before I told you that if McCain looked like the one then he should get Joe Lieberman as his running-mate. Only way I could support anyone.

Posted by: Maribeth at February 7, 2008 8:30 AM

I would take Hillary or Obama over any republican they will run.

However, in the Hillary and Obama race I would take Hillary and the reason is I think she has more experience for "the fight". Of course maybe new blood is what is needed as well so who knows.

Posted by: daisy at February 7, 2008 8:38 AM

I guess I am on the opposite fence, I just dont know if I do trust Obama for some reason. I have voted Republican before but McCain seems a wild card to me. However, the part of me that loves to be entertained is loving watching Rush go ape shit over McCain's success. I admire Hilary and will probably vote for her because she asked me to think of my children when I voted and she would bring back the hope and promise that I would want for them.

Posted by: linda at February 7, 2008 8:44 AM

I live in an extremely conservative state and think I have a pretty good handle on what most Republicans are looking for when looking for an excuse to jump ship. With that being said, I have found that most Republicans wouldn't come anywhere near sending a vote over to the Democrats with a Clinton as their candidate. And if the Democrats have any chance at all of pulling in a few of the disenfranchised Republican votes, they are going to have to put up a person that is less offensive than a Clinton. So for that reason and all of the reasons that you mentioned, I voted on Super Tuesday for Obama.

Posted by: Kellyology at February 7, 2008 8:58 AM

Watching Obama's speech on Tuesday (on my Canadian TV, well, probably Malaysian or something but whatever) I think I fell in love. He is very dynamic and his ideas are great.

Posted by: Heather at February 7, 2008 9:04 AM

I'm voting for Hillary. I like her stance on gay marriage and healthcare (though the wage garnishment thing...ouch). But I also view Obama as largely the "trendy" person to vote for. I think he has some really good ideas and plans, and like you said, it's a virtual wash. And I was all over Obama in '04 after the DNC and that speech he gave. I'm really hoping for the dream ticket: Obama/Clinton or Clinton/Obama. Despite how I'm voting (or would vote, since I'm not exactly registered anywhere at the moment -- long story), I think it's going to go to Obama. I keep getting off-track.

My choice to vote for Hillary has nothing to do with the fact that she's female. I want to state that right out front. Up until I decided to vote for her, I was a very proud member of the "I'm a radical feminist and I'm NOT voting for Hillary Clinton" group on Facebook. But I saw an interview with her in which she became not a politician but a mother and a daughter and a wife and it really humanized her to me. I liked what she said about wanting to ensure her daughter's future and the future of EVERYONE'S daughters. I dunno. It resonated with me. Which makes it sound like I'm voting for her because she's a woman. But I saw a video of Obama doing the same, taking on the role of a father, husband, and son as opposed to a politician, I'd then be hard-pressed to make a decision.

Now I'm done rambling.

Posted by: Sparkle Pants at February 7, 2008 9:06 AM

I,too, voted for Obama. I'm mostly concerned about education, since my University is having so many budget cuts that some departments had to get rid of every other lightbulb. (And we're a huge institution that generates a lot of money). I think you're right about him: in your gut, he feels right, over all others.

Posted by: claire at February 7, 2008 9:32 AM

This liberal IS freaking out and going Republican. Look, the way the world is right now, the issues we have with the muslim countries, its no time for a woman to take the throne. I believe a woman could do a DAMN fine job but the world looks down on women and would fear for her safety really. Look at the whole Benazir Bhutto incident..It's ugly out there. With Obama, the things he's saying, I just can't get on board. Universal healthcare?? I'm sorry, no one will like it..ask other countries how they like it.

I find myself in McCain's camp, the only thing that worries me about him, besides his uber republicaness, is his age. Can he handle the stresses of the job if one day of campaigning in many cities wears him out??

Posted by: Darren at February 7, 2008 9:46 AM

Same guy, same reasons. I don't agree with everything he says, but then again I don't believe one man can make all of those changes happen anyway.

I'm voting for the smartest person in the election. Obama.

Posted by: Brad at February 7, 2008 9:53 AM

I voted for Obama in the SC primary a couple of weeks ago. I like him for the same reasons you do. When he talks, I just believe him and I feel like he's got the right frame of mind for doing this. Mostly, the social issues are important to me - healthcare, LGBT rights, abortion rights - as well as the biggies like the war in Iraq and the economy. I read up on Obama a long time ago and figured out he was the candidate with the closest values to mine.

Posted by: Stephanie at February 7, 2008 10:01 AM

I tend to stay out of political discussions because they all end up stressing people out and I have enough stress in my life right now. I do find it interesting though, how vocal people are right now... maybe it's just because I'm older and paying slightly a bit more attention. Who knows. I won't speak up though because it isn't my vote. I. AM. CANADIAN. (Sorry, had to throw a beer reference in there).

Posted by: Holly at February 7, 2008 10:03 AM

Humanity is the most important issue to me.

Obama, please.

Posted by: Poppy at February 7, 2008 10:14 AM

I voted for Hillary.

I believe that she has more experience, including a long history of involvement in organizations that work to support the well-fare of our countries most precious commodities, our children.

If you look at her political and personal history, you tend to see that as one of her great passions. As a mother and an educator, that will win my vote every time.

The issues that mean the most to me are the rights of women and children, education, and the environment.

I'm crossing my fingers that Hill wins and she selects Bill Richardson as her running mate.

Either way, I'm voting democrat. We don't need another war-monger (McCain)making decisions for our country.

Posted by: Kelly at February 7, 2008 10:15 AM

I like Obama and his skill as a campaigner. I do however, have a problem of him showing a history of lacking the balls to take a stand or cast a vote on controversial issues.

I want a leader who deosn't shy away from tough issues, not one who relies upon shouting platitudes of "Change".

Happy Voting. Cheers!!

Posted by: Matt-Man at February 7, 2008 10:18 AM

That's exactly why I voted for Obama on Super Tuesday. I was disappointed to see my state (NJ) go for Clinton, but I'm taking comfort in the fact that delegates are awarded proportionally so hopefully my vote helps him in the long run.

If Obama doesn't get the nomination then I suppose I'll have to vote for Clinton in Nov. (as I don't agree with any of the Republican candidates on any of the issues), but I'd really prefer to vote FOR someone rather than AGAINST someone. Had to do that in '04 when I voted for Kerry - but really against Bush - and I didn't feel so great about it. I felt really great about voting for Obama the other day.

One thing that really bothers me about Clinton
(there are a few things, but one of the biggies was her calculated move to NY to run for Senate so she could run for Pres), was the way Bill stirred the pot on the race issue. I thought it was really inappropriate for a former president to behave that way (and I voted for him in '96 - I'm a Bill Clinton fan), and when it happened a couple of weeks ago I heard a reporter who covered the WH during the Clinton years say that there had to be a reason he did that. Fast forward to this past Tues/Wed and the results coming in from CA - one of the analysts commented that now we know why Bill brought up the race issue: to play blacks & latinos against each other so that Hillary would keep the latino vote locked up in CA. Not positive if it's true, but the idea of it just doesn't sit well - we should be bringing the country together by focusing on what we have in common, not pushing people apart like this. Like you said, with Obama there's the sense that he's running for the right reasons, whereas with Hillary, I get the feeling that she's running to win - period, at ANY cost. I don't think our country needs that type of president again.

Re: the issues - economy, environment, education are my top three. I'm not crazy about either candidate's healthcare plans, mainly b/c (to my understanding), they rely on the assumption that when businesses are not required to offer healthcare, they will pass that savings on to workers who will then be able to afford their own insurance. I don't trust corporations to do that. My uncle has his own business and coverage for him, his wife and their teenage son (and all 3 are in great health) costs nearly $20k/year. Now, I agree that something needs to be done, but I don't know if Obama or Clinton is on the right track with universal healthcare (esp. Hillary's plan to fine people who opt not to take coverage - what if they can't afford it?!). Plus, it doesn't work so perfectly in other countries either, so why think it would work here? Look at the healthcare many of our soldiers returning from Iraq are getting - or NOT getting, as the case may be - why expect the government to do any better for regular citizens if they don't want to take care of people wounded fighting for our country?

Man this is long - sorry! I got all riled up!

Posted by: erin at February 7, 2008 10:20 AM

clinton. no doubt about it. obama is fine but i think he'd be better in 8 years. i get people being inspired by him (or any other politician really) but the last 8 years have been a horrible mess and whoever gets in there is going to have start working from day one. did she learn everything about being a president simply from being a first lady for 8 years? hardly but i'm confident she'd at least know where the damn bathrooms are. seriously though, i feel better thinking of her being in the WH.

Posted by: pea at February 7, 2008 10:24 AM

Hillary! Obama does not have enough experience! Also, I want 'old BILL back cause I want to see him wear a dress for the Easter Hunt!

Posted by: mrs mogul at February 7, 2008 10:51 AM

i voted for Obama too ;)

Posted by: ali at February 7, 2008 11:09 AM

I almost moved to Alexandria when I was on the verge of being posted to Quantico a few years ago. I love Old Town and DC, in general, but every time I go back now, the construction on highway 1 gets more and more obnoxious and the parts of what used to be a lovely drive into the heart of the capital have been replaced by condos, apartments, and a huge Target. Blah. Same with Manassas...I'm a history buff and the fact there's a mall adjacent to the battlefield makes me weep bitter tears.

I'm a moderate, and although I like McCain as both a person and a politician, I think either Obama or Hillary will be the right way to go. And, of those two, I believe Obama would be the better choice because he's had less time to be infected by Washington...he brings a certain clear-eyed freshness and optimism to the job. If he becomes president, this will no doubt get beaten out of him without mercy, but for now, this makes him highly attractive.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at February 7, 2008 11:27 AM

I've never seen a better example of the "cult of personality" mindset that the Obama movement. Nevermind that he's a political neophyte when what we need is a real wonk like Hillary who knows what's broken, how to fix it and how to twist the arms of those who stand in the way. Obama's gonna get eaten alive if he makes it to the White House.

Posted by: Karla at February 7, 2008 11:56 AM

Ahhh, I posted about who I voted for and why on Tuesday... got to vote on the internet. Woo hoo!

Anyway, I went with Obama in the end. I think the deciding factors were likeability and winnability: he's the most likeable and he is the Democrat's best chance of beating McCain, who i think will get the Republican nod in the end. I'm just not convinced Hillary can beat him.

Posted by: ewe_are_here at February 7, 2008 12:02 PM

I feel the same way you do. On the issues, Hillary or Obama would be okay presidents. Possibly even great ones, not that it will be hard to be great after the last 8 years. But listening to Obama speak gives me chills. I can picture how he could change the US that we live in. I can see in my mind, how him being in office for eight years could have the greatest impact on how our government is run. Changes that have needed to be made for years.

I am so hopeful that he'll win. I truly believe he has a great chance at it, because I know people who have changed their minds...even a few republicans, after listening to him speak. If I could have it any way I wanted it, I'd have Obama for President and Edwards for Vice. For eight years too.

Posted by: Phoenix at February 7, 2008 12:28 PM

Yesterday on the way home, I heard something that was quite amusing on the radio. The DJ's said that they wish that whoever gets elected next year would come out and say something to the effect of:

"You know all those things that I said I would do. I've got no idea how to accomplish them."

I think that about sums it up. Any one person that thinks they can solve all of our issues has one huge ego. And I agree with your statement that in the end you have to go for the person that you want based on their personality because their views are really not all that different.

Posted by: at February 7, 2008 12:34 PM

I think you are right Chris, there are only small differences between Obama and Clinton. Thus what is really important is who you trust. My answer is different from yours. I get the feeling that Obama, while a great inspirational speaker is just that, all talk. It's just my take on it and I genuinely hope that I'm wrong. I've always liked and respected Clinton. I will vote for her when my turn comes around. However, in the end I am just relieved that neither of the two remaining Democratic candidates scare the ever-loving piss out of me like a couple of the Republican ones do.

Posted by: SassyPants at February 7, 2008 12:41 PM

If Hillary had been a different person, she probably would get my vote. But I'm very much concerned that 4 - 8 years of her is just going to be more of what we have now. Democrats and Republicans, at each others throats, stalling everything that makes a difference in my life in Congress (i.e. the current tax relief checks, which apparently the Republicans have stopped. Didn't THEIR PRESIDENT suggest them??)

No, Obama will get my vote, because we need a change of some kind. Any kind, frankly. And he is inspiring. We need more of that.

Posted by: Candy at February 7, 2008 12:48 PM

You would have loved my most recent class. Wealth and Power in America. It was taught by a Democratic House Rep. It was one big mix of differing opinions but it was interesting to say the least. One thing I truly stand behind when it comes to my college and where I work is that our classes are taught by people in the field not a professor who read the book.

I agree, it's hard to pick between Hilary and Obama. I really want to see healthcare reform and think she might be better at that, but then again she didn't succeed in the past. So hard to decide. Can we have someone better please?

Posted by: Kristy at February 7, 2008 12:57 PM

I voted for Obama. I know it sounds sort of Machiavellian, but I'm trying to vote for the one I know can win. I mean, I love Obama, but I also know that Hilary is too polarizing to win against a republican. I think Obama stands the best chance against whoever the republicans put up there. Let's hope we can retake the White House! Issues of import: this terrible war, a woman's right to choose, the environment.

Posted by: Laura at February 7, 2008 1:10 PM

I'm not American, but, I know that if I were, I'd vote for Hilary. Obama's youth and lack of experience worry me a little....

Posted by: Haley-O at February 7, 2008 1:35 PM

Agreed, Rude Chris. Obama is the way to go. Frankly I was surprised he did not do better on Tuesday. I think DC, Maryland, and Virginia are going to tip the scales his way.

But when it comes down to electability, I think either Obama or Clinton cakewalk over McCain in November. Unless Bush can somehow get out of Iraq and turn the economy around before November, the Republicans are screwed.

Posted by: Jeff St Real at February 7, 2008 2:22 PM

Heh... last time you brought it up, I made a comment about how I didn't have to decide, because our primary doesn't mean anything so the decision is made for me. Oops.

Obama. I've never been a huge Hillary fan and her ties to the Democratic "establishment" really bug me... I don't think she's independent enough (personality-wise) to really spark the change that both her and Obama speak of.

Posted by: Stephanie at February 7, 2008 3:28 PM

I totally would have voted for Obama, for the exact reasons you mention above. He's getting people excited, and that's huge.

Sadly, I didn't actually vote for him. I couldn't get registered here in WA in time to vote, and while I could have voted early before leaving IL, I figured a) there's no way Obama's going to lose his home state and b) I didn't care enough about the local elections to make time to vote in the middle of all of the moving madness. I'm a slacker, I know. But I'm going to go see the caucus here on Saturday, which should be pretty exciting.

Posted by: Dawn at February 7, 2008 3:38 PM

My daughter wants to make t-shirts that say 'me and momma for Obama'. Hillary makes me cringe, she always has. I am not sure why but I feel she is a too power hungry and not an elected official to be a steward of my wellbeing. I feel both Obama and McCain do see their jobs as stewards even if I don't agree with how they think they can best do that job. I think the Huckster is in it to get to heaven and that makes me say 'no, no, no'
Make sense?

Posted by: Arwen at February 7, 2008 3:45 PM

Since my candidate is no longer in the race, I want to get the opportunity to vote for McCain in November. The #1 thing I am looking for in a candidate is someone who will be on the offensive against the terrorists at all times. I really feel as if McCain wakes up daily thinking about terror in the country and how to avoid it. I want a leader that will guide us towards victory indstead of cowering out 60 or so days after taking office. It seems as if many people of America have felt "safe" lately, and so of course pulling out is an option. Well, there is a reason we have not been attacked in six years, we have been there, preventing them from comming here. I feel as if many people forgot about 9/11 in January 2002, eventhough many pledged not to, and I want a president who has it on his mind daily.

Good luck with Wally, I hope he comes soon!

Posted by: Tess at February 7, 2008 3:56 PM

Obama.

I am formulating a post about why for tomorrow.

But you are right that both are strong candidates.

Posted by: Aimee Greeblemonkey at February 7, 2008 4:21 PM

I lean more towards Obama because he is so charismatic and seems so genuine. I always got the feeling that Clinton was more jaded and "political" if you know what I mean. That being said, I felt the same when I voted for her for Senator. And when she got the gig she really got down to business and accomplished quite alot.

Posted by: Pinky at February 7, 2008 5:21 PM

"So late in the primary season"...I know what you mean, but it's what now, just the first half of February? You go Barack the vote all the same Chris!

I was just plain on the fence going into our primary this week. It came down to voting for Hillary so that I can tell my daughter that when I had a chance to vote for a woman who'd probably make as good a president as any of the others out there, I took the chance. At the same time, as long as I've been able to vote, there's been a Clinton and a Bush in the running and it's, uh... time for a change?

Posted by: nrbp at February 7, 2008 5:40 PM

As a dedicated independent who is not affiliated with either party (though I usually vote Democratic), I don't vote in primaries. But I've been watching the races carefully. And personally, I am just grateful that there is actually a Democratic race. How refreshing is this? This is the first time since I've been voting that primaries have actually seemed to serve a purpose.

It's enough to make a girl a cock-eyed optimist.

Posted by: Alias Mother at February 7, 2008 7:45 PM

Voted Hillary - she's a smart cookie and she surrounds herself with good people. I met all of the candidates back in June while working a political conference. Obama and his people were more obnoxious than some of the celebrities I have worked with (and I have seen some doozies! Beyonce anyone!?!). He was the only one who completely ignored my staff and demanded things last minute - got angry when we could oblige (which was due to his Secret Service!).

I'm not overly fond of McCain mainly due to his Iraq stance. We need to get the hell out of combat there.

My vote doesn't really count anyway -
Disenfranchised Florida Voter here!

Posted by: melissa at February 7, 2008 8:04 PM

meant to say "couldn't oblige" above. Whooo his chief of staff got ticked off...

Posted by: melissa at February 7, 2008 8:06 PM

Obama! I haven't yet been this excited about someone. A president is really just a figure head and it matters who he or she puts behind him or her - but we NEED someone who is inspiring, someone that you like to listen to (as opposed to turn off when you hear his freaking southern accent because he is an idiot...I digress). Also, it's time for a new family. 20+ years with two families running the country? Um, that's not quite what democracy is about - in my little opinion.

Posted by: Sharri at February 7, 2008 8:19 PM

I didn't vote on Tuesday. Shame on me. I simply forgot Anyway, even if I went to vote, I really wouldn't be able to decide between Clinton and Obama.

Posted by: Denise at February 7, 2008 8:40 PM

I voted for Obama, too. I suppose the Clintons might turn out to be right about him, that he's not connected or experienced enough to be successful in the presidency.

I really think, though, that he'll turn out to be the breath of fresh air for which we've all been waiting 8 years.

Or, I hope so. This election has got me all nervous!

Posted by: julie at February 7, 2008 8:45 PM

I'm Republican to the core, and feeling pretty crushed today. UNC lost to Dook last night and then today Romney suspends his campaign. WHAT?!! Grrrr!!! Now what? I just don't know if I can align myself with McCain, but I guess I'll see how things wash out.

Posted by: coolchick at February 7, 2008 9:23 PM

I'm party Repub and part Dem I guess, which is why this election has been very difficult for me so far. The issues that matter to me are the issues the Democrats cater to: education, Iraq, healthcare, economy. But I also think the Repubs have some things right. It's difficult to pick apart the truth in how a candidate plans to run things, and how his/her opponents SAY he/she plans to run things. I've heard lots of things that were blatant fabrications. And you're right - it does have a lot to do with personality. I currently have a personality conflict with both Hillary and McCain... so if it comes down to those two I might have to bury my head in the sand for a while.

Posted by: Amy at February 7, 2008 11:42 PM

Dennis K. dropped out so, after a lot of thought, I voted for Senator Clinton despite her earlier stance on Iraq. Senator Obama gives a great speech but there have been Presidents before him who could do that but not much else. Reagan, the great communicator, springs to mind. I haven't heard that much substance yet from Senator Obama yet although I understand his advisors are recommending he change that.

In the end, it almost came down to a coin toss for me and as a "yaller dog" Democrat, I'll support whoever received the nomination.

Sorry to be so late. My hard drive crashed and I've been down for two days.

Posted by: ann adams at February 8, 2008 12:38 AM

P. S. Issues important to me?

Other than Iraq and the economy, most of the things I'm for, they're all against, no matter the party. They don't want to alienate anyone by supporting anything controversial.

Posted by: ann adams at February 8, 2008 12:41 AM

Though call. It'll be fine either way -- I think they both can take McCain.

I think you need change and direction and I think Obama can give you that. But I must say that's only from snippets of speeches I've heard

Posted by: Nat at February 8, 2008 5:53 PM

Nebraska is having its Democratic Caucus tomorrow (!!! The two Democrats in Nebraska get to duke it out IN PERSON!) and I pretty much came to the same conclusion as you for the same reason. The issues are pretty much the same, but Obama has the personality to be a more effective leader, imo. So he's getting my vote, too. Although I wouldn't mind if Hillary got the nomination. I like them both.

Posted by: Angela at February 8, 2008 10:20 PM

Obama-bo-bobama bonana-fanna-fo-fama fee-fy-mo-mama... Obama!

Or Hillary.

As long as its not McCain. I have two young sons and I'll move to New Zealand before I see them drafted into his war plan.

That, and his wife looks like she's wearing a hair turban.

Posted by: krystyn at February 10, 2008 5:45 PM

Late comment, but it's Obama for me. Economy and environment are currently the most important issues for me.

Posted by: Sysha at February 11, 2008 4:45 PM

Congrats on your decision. Visit my new site: bloggers4Obama.

Posted by: Ed Bacchus at February 11, 2008 5:23 PM

Set your own life easier take the business loans and all you want.

Posted by: KelliHALEY28 at February 26, 2010 2:41 PM