February 8, 2008

The Weeklies #22: The Big-Ass Playlist Edition

The Weekly Best One-Liner. Mia, running through the house shouting, "I love haggis! I love haggis!" So, yeah, I told her to say it but it doesn't make it any less funny.

The Weekly Reads. I read Alan Glynn's The Dark Fields. It had been on my "to read" shelf (along with thousands of its brothers) for a number of years so it was about time. Darn good read too. It's part thriller, part mystery, all very well-written and slightly terrifying. If you like today's question, you'll probably like the book.

The Weekly Exclamation. Oh shit, we're having a kid, like, any day!

The Weekly Music. I tried an experiment with my iPod for a few hours this week. A test. Could I make it through random shuffles without skipping songs? And what would that playlist look like? The results are down there, you know, after the jump.

The Weekly Soup. Minestrone

The Weekly Schadenfreude. First off, it seems like everyone's in rehab, right? Eva Mendes, Amy Winehouse (who's probably already bolted by now) and Kirsten Dunst to name a few. Designing Woman Delta Burke checked into a hospital for psychiatric care and Heidi Fleiss got busted in Nevada. Oh, and there's such thing as a Paris Hilton doll. Seriously. How scared are you now?

The Weekly Hypothetical Question. If you could take a pill and suddenly become one of the brightest, most important thinkers in the world and make a lasting contribution to humanity, would you? Not so fast. When you're done being brilliant and stop taking the pills, you won't be right back where you started - you'll be mildly unintelligent. So, do you take it?

Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy
Alter Bridge - Rise Today
The Hold Steady - Stevie Nix
The Raconteurs - Intimate Secrecy
Sting - The Hounds of Winter
Crowded House - Don't Stop Now
Barrett Martin - Favela Song
The Format - On Your Porch (acoustic version)
Alanis Morrisette - You Learn
The Most Serene Republic - Population
Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet
Pearl Jam - Elderly Women
Bruce Springsteen - Gypsy Biker
The Black Crowes - Seeing Things
Temple Of The Dog - Hunger Strike
Duncan Sheik - Little Hands
Minus The Bear - Ice Monster
Marillion - Marbles III
Robert Plant & Alison Krauss - Killing The Blues
Pearl Jam - Not For You (live at Lollapalooza)
Foo Fighters - No Way Back
Sting - The Lazarus Heart
Maritime - A Night Like This
Seu Jorge - Lady Stardust
Alice in Chains - Over Now
Guns N Roses - Out Ta Get Me
Soundgarden - Black Hole Sun
Tears For Fears - Who Killed Tangerine?
Jets Overhead - No More Nothing
Mark Knopfler - Donegan's Gone
Aimee Man - Wise Up (live at St. Ann's Warehouse)
Athlete - I Love

Posted by Chris at February 8, 2008 6:55 AM
Comments

"I love haggis! I love haggis!" *shudder* and in a vegetarian home too.

I would have to hate my own self if I had to be reduced to mildly unintelligent. I just couldn't live with that no matter the lasting contribution. Guess I'm more selfish than I thought. Besides, maybe in my newly mild unintelligence I would do something so dumb that it would entirely reverse the previous positive change I had affected.

Posted by: ocdcontrolfreak at February 8, 2008 7:15 AM

Okay. I would opt to be fantastically intelligent and make my world shattering discover/cure/etc and then be slightly less intelligent. You see, dear Cactus, I have been through this. No I wasn't Einstein before my car accident, but I was pretty darn quick. After the head injury, not so much. SO better to have had it and done something wonderful, then never to have had it at all.

Posted by: Maribeth at February 8, 2008 7:51 AM

Yeah, I'd take it. Might as well do the world some good. I'd like to think I'm not selfish enough to refuse the cure for cancer or the end to all wars just because I don't want to know I'm not smart anymore. And besides, if I'm mildly unintelligent I might not realize just how brilliant I really way, anyway.

Love the iPod playlist. Robert Plant & Alison Krauss, huh? I love that song :-)

Posted by: Alissa at February 8, 2008 8:10 AM

Nice playlist.

I think you and I have a very similar CD collection, judging by the prevalence of Led Zeppelin and Pearl Jam.

Posted by: SciFi Dad at February 8, 2008 8:18 AM

I'm already making a lasting contribution to humanity without the pill.

What is it that I'm doing, you ask?

I'm raising my babies to be open-minded, liberal, environmentally passionate, voracious readers, caring, compassionate, good, honest, fearless individuals. If every single mother and father worked on that, the world would change for the better.

Plus, I'm already wicked smart!

Posted by: at February 8, 2008 8:18 AM

But I'm already "one of the brightest, most important thinkers in the world making a lasting contribution to humanity!"

Posted by: Dana at February 8, 2008 8:18 AM

If my intelligence spawned a cure/solution to better the lives of at least one individual for the right reason obviously not greed then I would do it!

Posted by: Steff at February 8, 2008 8:57 AM

I KNOW you vegetarians don't have any haggis up in your house. Ugh, the mere thought makes me nauseous.

Mia is so going to be a hit in pre-school...

Posted by: liz at February 8, 2008 9:07 AM

The one-liner made me laugh so hard I almost choked. Go, Mia!!!

The question: If I have to boost my intelligence to contribute to society then I don't wanna. I want the world to think I am awesome in my unaltered state. So, nope.

Posted by: Poppy at February 8, 2008 9:11 AM

Would my lasting contribution to society earn me a fortune? Because I wouldn't mind being mildly unintelligent if it meant I could spend the rest of my life on a beach in Fiji, living the high life with many a pina colada.

Posted by: GreenCanary at February 8, 2008 9:21 AM

Um, I actually do love haggis. Does that mean I'm funny now? Because I think I think I have a better chance of being funny than making a lasting contribution to humanity.

Posted by: Kerry at February 8, 2008 9:37 AM

nope. I'm perfectly satisfied with how intelligent I am right now. Wouldn't change a thing.

(The really, super-intelligent, overly-thoughtful people are really obnoxious to me anyway.)

PS - did you see where one of the things Delta Burke went into treatment for was HOARDING? (Not to be confused with Heidi Fleiss's contribution to this week's Schadenfreude, I'm sure.) Weird, huh?

Posted by: kalisa at February 8, 2008 9:45 AM

Hmm. I would probably take the pill. If my contribution had anything to do with the things I'm passionate about, then it'd be worth it. I mean, I've made my contribution, right? What the hell do I need intelligence for? :D I think the real question to as is just how much intelligence would I lose? I don't consider myself particularly intelligent as it is, so I might become an amoeba once everything is said and done.

Posted by: Sparkle Pants at February 8, 2008 9:49 AM

Sweet list, yo.

Nah. Ignorance really is bliss, but you don't realize this until you're no longer ignorant. So, going back would be crushing. Although, as a mildly intelligent puke who's studied his way into the company of 100-pound brains, I believe anyone with the opportunity and lacking the fear of ego-crushing academic difficulty for semesters at a time can attain at least 70-pound brain status. So, maybe getting a taste of the 'smart life' might be an excellent motivator. Stop asking such hard questions.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at February 8, 2008 9:58 AM

No way would I take the brains and end up less intelligent in the long run... I dun have anything to spare!

Posted by: NotAMeanGirl at February 8, 2008 10:14 AM

My weekly best one-liner? Come on, crack smoker! Yes, from the two year old. I am a good mom.

Posted by: Mr Lady at February 8, 2008 10:40 AM

Hell yes. Mildly Unintelligent sounds like a wonderful retirement. :)

Posted by: Brad at February 8, 2008 10:42 AM

what? no hannah montana??? ahahaha!

Posted by: ali at February 8, 2008 10:58 AM

I don't like falling. From a geographical distance (as in...off of a building) or in the estimation of my friends. Likewise, if I found I could be smarter than I am right now and then have to go back? Forget it. I read "Flowers for Algernon". I know how it ends.

Posted by: Anastasia Beaverhausen at February 8, 2008 1:30 PM

Pshaw... who needs a pill? I'm already brilliant. :-)

Good luck with that Weekly Exclamation of yours! Hope to hear some great news from you guys this weekend!

Posted by: Stephanie at February 8, 2008 1:37 PM

I'm too smart for my own good already.

Have a good weekend. Maybe you'll have exciting news to report by Monday next.

Posted by: ann adams at February 8, 2008 2:17 PM

I'd do it. The slightly less intelligent can't be any worse than it was with Pregnancy Brain, so why not?

I keep meaning to tell you I started to read The Rabbit Factory based on your recommendation a few months ago and though I'm not quite halfway through yet, I love it. Thank you!!

Posted by: Shelly at February 8, 2008 2:30 PM

oh yes, absolutely!

i'm somewhat unintelligent already, so it's only all good!

Posted by: amy at February 8, 2008 2:58 PM

Your playlist looks amazingly cringe-less. My boyfriend's shuffle is the same--nothing but cool. Mine, on the other hand, is always shameful. I have all kinds of good stuff on my ipod, but inevitably the shuffle plays gems like some dumb song from Disney's "Aladdin" or a B-side Gordon Lightfoot.

Posted by: Leah at February 8, 2008 5:40 PM

I'm glad someone else mentioned Flowers for Algernon. That was my first thought and that book broke my heart. So thank you, no.

And now, I have new music to track down. Mmmmmmmmmm, new music.

Posted by: rai at February 8, 2008 6:09 PM

There is no way I could NOT forward a song. For some reason when I "shuffle" I get a Bon Jovi song every other time.

Holy crap...you're having a baby any day!

Posted by: Isabel at February 8, 2008 8:29 PM

We totally do not have the same taste in music. Oh well - I'll keep reading anyways. Good luck with the baby!

Posted by: Mom On The Run at February 8, 2008 9:48 PM

Your question is a bit reminiscent of Flowers for Algernon.

Which, by the way, is one of my favorite books I read as a child.

Yes, I would take the pill, but probably towards the end of my life. At that point, my mind would be slipping anyways, so I would not miss it as much as I would now.

Posted by: Jen at February 8, 2008 11:05 PM

Wow. Did you keep a running list of those songs and then type them all? Or do you know some magic that I don't?

Posted by: Amy at February 8, 2008 11:37 PM

Yes, yes I would. Because chances are, even if I was still smart, I would ride that lasting contribution for all it was worth. Hence, never really using my brain again. :)

Posted by: Cassandra at February 9, 2008 12:46 AM

Also, I hate shuffle mode on my iPod. I find it very difficult to get through even two or three songs without skipping like crazy.

I don't think my iPod knows me.

Posted by: Cassandra at February 9, 2008 12:47 AM

My husband does the haggis bit without prompting. I must advise you to nip it in the bud now. It's not going to get any better.

Posted by: Sphincter at February 9, 2008 3:46 PM

Haggis...still not as gross as the Lutefisk (fish jello) I'm going to have to choke down this afternoon at the inlaws.

Shudder.

I can not make it through shuffle on the iPod with out skipping a song or two. Partly because my husband thinks it's funny to put music that he knows will annoy me on it, and partly because I think I must be drunk when I buy some of my music.

And no, I wouldn't take the pill. I revel in my own mediocrity so why change now?

Posted by: Redneck Mommy at February 10, 2008 2:34 PM

Yes, I'd take them. Because I'd be smart enough to know better than to stop taking them. Or, smart enough to figure out how to stay smart without taking them.

Grin.

Posted by: krystyn at February 10, 2008 5:36 PM

Have you been reading Flowers for Algernon?

Congrats on the baby!!!!!!

Posted by: jessica at February 11, 2008 2:05 PM

Make your life time easier take the home loans and everything you need.

Posted by: HarrellRoberta27 at March 21, 2010 8:41 PM