February 22, 2008

The Weeklies #24

The Weekly Game. Hiding in California. Mia has this new game. She hides under a blanket and claims she's in California. I'm often asked to join her.

The Weekly Reads. Since we last talked about books, I've burned through a few books - Lawrence Block's The Girl With The Long Green Heart, Harlan Coben's The Final Detail, Rob Sheffield's Love Is A Mix Tape, and Frederick Reiken's The Lost Legends of New Jersey. All were excellent. The Girl With The Long Green Heart was a wonderful pulp mystery. It was cheesy and utterly enjoyable. The Final Detail was Coben at his Myron Boltar best. Sheffield's Love Is A Mix Tape was a brief memoir chronicling the making of mix tapes contrasted with the loss of his wife. The Lost Legends of New Jersey was the best of the lot, following a New Jersey family through the ups and downs of life. It was beautifully written and incredibly full.

The Weekly Music. I've been going old-school lately, listening to the music I started listening to years ago - early and mid-seventies progressive rock. Yeah, I'm a dork. But there's some good stuff I've got that I haven't given a thorough listen in years.

The Weekly Meal. Peanut butter sandwiches. I'm no lover of peanut butter but I've been digging peanut butter sandwiches lately.

The Weekly Schadenfreude. So, the television writers' strike is over which is great for us because our long crappy season of bad reality TV may finally be over. Lindsay Lohan stripped for New York magazine and showed her boobies to the three people alive who hadn't yet seen them. And Amy Winewhore won a shit-load of Grammys. Is it me or have we all woken up on a bizarro Earth?

The Weekly Hypothetical Question. You have your choice between two superpowers. You must choose one. You can either stop time or walk through matter. Which do you choose and why?

Posted by Chris at February 22, 2008 8:08 AM
Comments

Ohhh, I would choose "stop time" as my power. Then I could catch up on sleep and catch up on work and not miss any deadlines, and have time to read the whole paper every morning, and time to practice the piano... yep, "stop time" hands down.

Do I get to stop time anytime I want, or just once?

Posted by: Jennifer at February 22, 2008 8:32 AM

I have Love is a Mix Tape on my shelf at home waiting to be read. I've heard great things elsewhere too. Trying to get in as much reading as I can before my little one arrives and saps up all of my lounging around time.

I suppose I would pick Stop Time too for the same reasons as listed in the previous comment, although I'd also like to have Fast Forward Time for days like today when all I want is to make it through the work day as quickly as possible so I can get home and spend time with my husband.

Posted by: Jessie at February 22, 2008 8:50 AM

Stop time, for sure. Most matter, if you can't walk through it you can at least walk around it.

I've been in a prog-rock phase lately, too. On a 550 mile drive to New York over the past weekend, I popped in Yes, Close to the Edge. Any self-respecting music critic is cringing right now, but still, I listened to it three times through. It brought back a lot of memories.

Posted by: Jeff St Real at February 22, 2008 8:52 AM

Stop time. I often just want things to stop for awhile, so having the option of snapping the fingers and being able to hit the brakes and think would be lovely, thanks.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at February 22, 2008 8:55 AM

If I stop time do I get to have someone with me to share the stopped time? If so, I choose that one.

If I'm the only one who benefits from stopped time then I want the walking through matter one for no other reason than spite.

Posted by: Poppy at February 22, 2008 8:57 AM

Stop time if I could do it anytime I wanted to.

Just long enough to remove my foot from my mouth would be good.

Have a great weekend, all 4 of you.

Posted by: ann adams at February 22, 2008 8:58 AM

Stop time, without question. They I could get some real sleep and start the rest of the world back up only when I was good and ready.

Posted by: Teresa at February 22, 2008 9:01 AM

Walk through matter because I always forget my house key.

Posted by: Arwen at February 22, 2008 9:02 AM

It depends. If I can stop time to change events, I might give it some serious consideration. But then, I don't like the idea of screwing with fate, which I totally would be if I stopped time to change events (I can't think of why else I would freeze time, although the idea of more sleep is a good one. But also, if I'm only freezing time, when I start it up again, wouldn't I be rejoining the same moment I just froze, so really I haven't gotten any more sleep?). I like the idea of being able to walk through matter, for expediting the parenting process. For instance, I wouldn't have to navigate the hallways and bother with doors when rushing to break up a bickering argument after stepping out of the room to, say...pee, or blink or get more coffee. I could get there as the crow flies, so to peak, which we all know is always the shortest distance between two points. Can I also see through matter? Because that would be a huge bonus.

Posted by: chatty cricket at February 22, 2008 9:10 AM

Assuming that the time stoppage doesn't rip the space-time continuum to shreds, I'd take the ability to stop time. Sometimes I'd use to do funny things to people but mostly, I'd do it to enjoy the sunset a little longer or to stand in a crowd and just /look/ at everyone, as they are in that exact moment.

Also, I've been going back through my old CDs (the ones I can find). I started with STP's Core, moved onto the Best of Alice in Chains (because all of my other AIC cds are in Oklahoma), then Live's Throwing Copper (thus re-discovering why it is ALWAYS at the top of my best albums ever list), and now I'm spinning Wakeland's Magnetic.

Posted by: Sparkle Pants at February 22, 2008 9:32 AM

Stop time, absolutely. So I could catch up on sleep and engage in petty theft. What?

Posted by: Fraulein N at February 22, 2008 9:36 AM

Stop time. Why would I need to pass through matter if I can stop time and use whatever door I want without question?

Posted by: Brad at February 22, 2008 9:50 AM

I'd stop time.

So I could get some sleep.

Posted by: Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah at February 22, 2008 9:59 AM

It's not just you. The world is a weirder place. Much weirder. We should be afraid.

And I love peanut butter. I eat some every day. Smucker's Natural PB sustained me through phase I of the South Beach Diet.

Posted by: Allan at February 22, 2008 9:59 AM

Oh, yeah. I forgot the hypothetical.

If I could save time in a bottle
The first thing that Id like to do
Is to save every day
Till eternity passes away

Posted by: Allan at February 22, 2008 10:01 AM

I am really digging Coben's stuff. I just finished Gone for Good (one of the best books of his genre Ihave read in a long long time) and I am now working on Tell No one.

Posted by: william at February 22, 2008 10:06 AM

In California? Tell her to look me up! I'll take her to Disneyland and we'll track down Mickey. :D

Posted by: pea at February 22, 2008 10:31 AM

Incredible. Mia and I play the same game, only I claim "the Canary's not here" when anyone asks why I'm hiding under the blanket.

Posted by: GreenCanary at February 22, 2008 10:38 AM

Love is a Mix Tape is on my "to read" list - now I'm going to add The Lost Legends of New Jersey.

I'd definitely choose stopping time as my super power. Absolutely. I just think it would be more useful than the whole walking through matter. I would also like the power to teleport myself from place to place, but now I'm just being greedy with the super powers!

Posted by: erin at February 22, 2008 10:51 AM

Well if you stop time then you need to be able to stop it at just the right time. Say if you were trying to stop from being hit by a bus. You might only have a split second to react, I'm too slow so that ones out.
Walking through matter, that's scary too. I mean what if you decide to try it and start sinking into the earth? Whats to stop that from happening. I don't want to sink into the earth and then solidify there and die of suffocation! So I pass on that one too.
Can I just have x-ray vision please, I am SURE I could enjoy that one!

Posted by: Jeff A at February 22, 2008 11:14 AM

Since you're feeling old school musically, you and Mia can listen to Going to California while you hide under the blanket :)

I think I'd want to walk through matter. Stopping time is cool, but feels more ethically complicated than walking through matter.

Posted by: bad penguin at February 22, 2008 11:15 AM

I wish I could hide in California. Pleasanton, to be exact.

~Jef

Posted by: Edge at February 22, 2008 11:42 AM

oh hell, i would stop time. let me set the scene for you:

5:45 AM - Alarm goes off. I stop time. Fall back to sleep. Get up whenever I'm fully rested and go about day... perfectly on time! Now THAT would be living the life.

Posted by: Noelle at February 22, 2008 12:32 PM

peanut butter sandwiches are the best. i love them. my kids love them. and i hate that schools don't love them anymore. boo. my kids starve at lunch now.

Posted by: ali at February 22, 2008 12:35 PM

I would stop time. Definitely very, very useful.

I would not want to walk through matter because I live in NYC and would most definitely manage to fall out of a building.

Not fun.

And I wouldn't want to walk through people either. Ew.

Posted by: jessica at February 22, 2008 1:23 PM

Oh no...no stopping time. There's an episode of the The Twilight Zone where a woman finds a watch necklace thingy in her backyard and turns out she can stop time. This seems great when the kids are yelling and she's annoyed. But it's not so great when a nuclear missile has been deployed. You've stopped time, but now what?!

Posted by: laura at February 22, 2008 2:07 PM

Stop time!! I could stop time aaaalll the time. I would get homework done RIGHT AFTER it was assigned! People would marvel in my on-top-of-it-ness.
(As long as I don't *age* during this time stoppage. because then I'd be like, 40 by the time I was 24.)

Also, how in the world do you find time to read all these books, man?! I haven't read a book for pleasure since... I started grad school.

Posted by: caleal at February 22, 2008 2:14 PM

I think Chris finds time to read all those books because he knows how to stop time.

(sorry couldnt help it)

Posted by: jessica at February 22, 2008 2:39 PM

travelling mia style... yeah we're gonna do that too :)

Posted by: stinkerbell at February 22, 2008 2:47 PM

OK, you have to explain to me how you got time to read with a new born and a toddler! I hardly have time to breath.

What a weird coincidence, since 2 weeks I eat a lot of peanut butter sandwiches too. Hmm.

Stop time.. so I can relax a bit ;)

Posted by: Nadine at February 22, 2008 3:40 PM

Definitely stop time. Although I had all these corny ideas about times with my children I could stop and savor and then I read Noelle's comment.

Dude - to be able to stop time when the alarm goes off and then continue to sleep until I'm fully rested?

Sweet.

Posted by: Jules at February 22, 2008 3:52 PM

Can I just have a Peanut butter sandwich? LOL

Posted by: Maribeth at February 22, 2008 4:11 PM

Stop time. Definitely. Like when the bank has its vault open, the jeweler unlocks the cabinet. As it turns out, my morals are entirely flexible when the option of not getting caught gets added to the mix.

Posted by: Stacy at February 22, 2008 4:49 PM

Stop time ... and I don't even have to think about it. So much you could do or 'correct' if you could just stop the world once in a while.

Posted by: ewe_are_here at February 22, 2008 5:53 PM

As I am a college student finishing up that senior year, I am going to have to go with stopping time. I could use a few extra hours of sleep, study time and/or paper writing. This summer I start my undergrad thesis paper and know it would be very useful (a topic too)...

Any idea on how I can get my hands on it?!?!?!?

Posted by: Jennie at February 22, 2008 6:47 PM

stop time of course! it would be like that show out of this world with evie who could stop time by touching her pointer fingers together. it would be so valuable to accomplish things if i could stop time!

Posted by: kat at February 22, 2008 7:32 PM

Hmmm...I guess I'd choose walk through matter. Even though that one isn't as cool of a superpower as stopping time, I have to choose it because I once saw a Twilight Zone episode about stopping time that forever freaked me out. I guess I'm afraid that stopping time would be awful lonely, especially if you couldn't get it to start back up again!

Posted by: Dooneybug at February 22, 2008 9:56 PM

I don't wanna stop time...some days are too long already. But walking through doors would be good. Maybe I'd quit hitting my head so often on a closed door in my haste to get the day over with!

Posted by: Tera at February 23, 2008 3:28 AM

*cripes, how fast do you read? I thought I was fast!
*seriously, what is UP with the world!?
*PB: used to LOVE it. Sadly, ever since having kids it gives me heartburn... Damn those pregnancy quirks!
*stop time... b/c I need to catch up on my reading and still have time to blog and read blogs ;)

Posted by: Holly at February 24, 2008 1:57 AM

Stop time...no question on this one.

If I had this power, anytime some asshat at work was going to go on and on about some inane minutiae, I could just stop time and wait until I had gathered the right amount of wherewithal to be able to listen and not laugh uncontrollably or take a hostage.

Hope the Cactus family is in great health and spirits.

Cheers,
JJ

Posted by: JackassJimmy at February 24, 2008 12:23 PM

omg. Stop Time. No contest.

Because the Old, it's catching up with me and Time has started to travel at warp speed.

Posted by: Paige at February 24, 2008 2:39 PM

Early 70s rock, eh? Will you be impressed if I tell you that in a couple of weeks, husband and I will be going to see Focus in concert in Glasgow? No? Never mind then...

Oh, and stopping time, definitely - give me time to actually come up with the killer comeback lines that normally take me hours to work out by which time it is way too late. And if I could walk through matter I would just be walking through stuff accidentally rather than bumping into it accidentally.

Posted by: Loth at February 24, 2008 4:33 PM

I already do both.

Sometimes a day is so incredibly b-o-r-i-n-g it lasts for frickin-ever.

This really matters to me, so I just kind of walk through it.

Posted by: qy8side at February 25, 2008 11:47 PM

Congratulations on Owen! He's gorgeous :) Mia is as precious as ever! I love reading yours and Beth's blogs :)

I, too, just finished The Final Detail. Awesome book!

Posted by: 3jaysmom at February 26, 2008 5:24 PM

Oh. And definitely stop time. There is just never enough of it to do the things I need to do, much less the things I *want* to do!

Posted by: 3jaysmom at February 26, 2008 5:27 PM

It is known that cash makes people free. But how to act when somebody has no cash? The one way only is to receive the home loans or financial loan.

Posted by: DeannaREEVES at March 5, 2010 11:17 AM