March 24, 2008

Easily Eggcited

When I was a kid, I loved hunting for Easter eggs. I didn't really remember how much until I found myself running around my backyard yesterday morning, frantically hiding as many as I could while Beth got Mia dressed. I don't know what it is - maybe it's just something that brings out the treasure-hunter in all of us. But I had fun, sprinkling eggs filled with Skittles, M&Ms and jelly beans around my backyard, hiding them behind the eruptions of daffodils and tulips, behind rocks and on stepping stones now partially obscured by the green grass that's just started to fill in again around them. Best of all, of course, was watching Mia try to find them. She loved it, every second.

After she'd retrieved all the eggs, we "played candy" which was a game that involved no skills other than opening the eggs, checking that the candy hadn't magically disappeared, and snapping the eggs back together.

Competing for first place in my "Great Moments of Easter 2008" contest would be the two hours I spent under Owen, both of us sacked out on the couch. When Mia was little I loved those moments but I think I might treasure them more now. Because that time - the time you're allowed by your kids to cuddle them, to nap with them, arms tight around them - is limited. I miss it with Mia. I treasure those moments with Owen knowing they won't last forever.

The rest of the day was spent in a chocolate and sugar-fueled haze. We went to my parents' house for dinner with the entire family. Mia hid eggs then found them then hid them again. Owen let every single family member hang on to him and love him as long as they wanted. We ran ourselves ragged keeping up with both of them.

Now it's Monday and I'm tired. Which probably explains why I'm sitting here at my desk tipping back a giant cup of coffee while munching on a chocolate-covered, marshmallow-filled egg. Cheers.

What did you do for Easter?

Posted by Chris at March 24, 2008 7:07 AM
Comments

We did an egg hunt for a little cousin last year. It was so much fun! I don't what it is either but we all loved it.

After being at the Easter races all day today I'm thinking I need a long weekend to recover from the one we just had.

Happy Easter Cactus-Fishes.

Posted by: Missy at March 24, 2008 7:16 AM

Well, our egghunt for the kiddos was in our living room, seeing as how Michigan was blanketed with snow again (ugh!) a few days ago. My 2-1/2 year old spent the rest of the day opening and closing her plastic eggs - it didn't even matter that she'd taken all the loot out - empty eggs were just as fascinating.

My 5-1/2 year old was stoked with her new Webkinz (I just don't get it with these things, but she loves it - and my husband is addicted to "helping her earn money for her webkinz" by playing on their website too).

We went out for a family lunch, but that was about it - not a very religious family, so basically the day was about chocolate and candy for us... and since no one brought any for me...

Posted by: Sarah at March 24, 2008 7:19 AM

Nothing!
I suck.

Posted by: Cassandra at March 24, 2008 7:26 AM

A long, long, long, shift at the Isle of Misfit Toys. No ham, nor pineapple, no sweet potatoes nothing makes a kid feel loved and appreciated on Easter like bologna and cheese on honky bread.

*meh* I got nothing.

Cheers,
JJ

Posted by: JackassJimmy at March 24, 2008 7:42 AM

LOL!! Too funny - I just cracked open a bag of Mini Eggs (7am) and was thinking I must be crazy!!

Beautiful pictures!

Posted by: Bridget at March 24, 2008 7:43 AM

that is a great backyard.

Posted by: william at March 24, 2008 8:15 AM

What a beautiful family!

I was suppose to work, but didn't. I had a fabulous day. :-)

Posted by: Maria at March 24, 2008 8:24 AM

Tulips, croci, Dandylions???
I am so jealous.

Posted by: Nat at March 24, 2008 8:26 AM

You have the loveliest family ever! I am alone for the next two and a half weeks, so I spent my Easter in bed until 4pm when hunger drove me to the kitchen (M&Ms weren't cutting it). Then I decided to get some homework done and promised myself that I'd reward myself with the half a bottle of disgusting cheap wine that was left over. I didn't get much homework accomplished because the internets distracted me...but I did have the wine. Then...I went to bed. heh

Posted by: Sparkle Pants at March 24, 2008 8:33 AM

We had been invited to a barbecue but the host came down with the flu. I threw an Easter dinner together, invited my son over, and it all came together somehow.

Those pictures are wonderful. I miss watching the little ones hunt their eggs.

Posted by: ann adams at March 24, 2008 8:36 AM

What a beautiful little family you have! We spent Easter with my BFs family. Or, the outlaws. I ate way too much dessert. Ugh.

Posted by: Hope at March 24, 2008 8:38 AM

I must admit to a few choice curse words when looking at your Easter pics... we have about a foot of snow on the ground out here, no grass, and definitely no blooming flowers. Lucky bastard.

Looks like a fun weekend, and I totally hear ya about the whole less cuddling as they get older thing. Totally.

Posted by: SciFi Dad at March 24, 2008 8:45 AM

GREAT backyard. So fortunate to have that. I'm sure it reminds you that your commute is worth it.

We had a great family day with a wonderful meal, good company, and plenty of kid craziness. It was not as relaxing as I had planned in my mind, but I guess that's the way of things.

My little one was adversely affected by the activity and sugar intake, and chose not to nap until very late, and then very shortly. It was an extremely rough evening as a result.

Back to routine today. Hopefully that'll straighten things out.

Posted by: Brad at March 24, 2008 8:54 AM

Easter was pretty low key for us this year.

As soon as I saw that picture of you with Owen asleep on your shoulder - oh the memories that brought back. That was my favorite thing to do when my kids were babies - snuggle with them like that. The way the just nestle right in like they were made for that spot - it's the best feeling in the world :)

Posted by: Jules at March 24, 2008 9:21 AM

I spent half the morning getting 5 little girls and 2 boys ready (I have more patience than my sister-in-common-law so I was assigned that job, woohoo). We boiled and dyed the eggs, ate way too much, and then hid, found, hid, found, hid, found eggs. We had a blast and I am considering replacing Thanksgiving with Easter as my fave holiday.

Great pics!

Posted by: Mymilabean at March 24, 2008 9:25 AM

Dinner with family of origin. Started celebrating my birthday early. Presents. Cake made by my husband. Drank wine and watched "Poltergiest".

Posted by: Anastasia Beaverhausen at March 24, 2008 10:35 AM

You mean you didn't let Mia make a big, mess coloring Easter Eggs???? Up until now, I had thought you and Beth were near perfect parents....

Oh, that third picture down...those are some seriously good looking children.

Posted by: Leilani at March 24, 2008 10:56 AM

I wrote about the cellular-signaling pathways inherent in the mouse immune-system response to stimulation with double-stranded viral RNA. I can't imagine, off the top of my head, any better way to celebrate the resurrection of J.H.C. Except perhaps the hunting down and destroying of candy-filled eggs.

You definitely won this one.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at March 24, 2008 11:49 AM

aww, such a beautiful family you've got :) the kids are freakin' adorable! i spent the weekend up north with family...saturday with my mom and stepdad, sunday with dave's mom and siblings. we had a hawaiian-themed easter breakfast, which was fun for all of us, especially the kids. was good times :)

Posted by: tiffanie at March 24, 2008 12:01 PM

Great pictures!

I watched Barbie and the Island Princess with my 4-year old niece, while the rest of our family laughed over stupid jokes in the background. Gotta love holidays :-)

Posted by: GreenCanary at March 24, 2008 12:04 PM

Happy Easter. Your pictures are great - as always.

We had our first "quiet" Easter in years. We usually manage to be invited to a Saturday and a Sunday Easter dinner. But not this year.

I planted Pansies - what a great sign of Spring!

Have a great week.

Cas

Posted by: cassie-b at March 24, 2008 12:09 PM

I hope you realize that family is ENTIRELY TOO ATTRACTIVE for you. :)

Posted by: kalisa at March 24, 2008 12:20 PM

sappychris is awesome.
happy easter to the whole family!

Posted by: ali at March 24, 2008 12:27 PM

We played Wii, of course. 3of3 bowled two strikes in a row. Either she is "the Dude" reincarnate, or that damn game is rigged.

Posted by: Mr Lady at March 24, 2008 1:53 PM

What a lovely holiday for you and your family. And yes, the cuddling is the best, best, best. I steal it from my friends when I can!

Easter: My FIRST NOT WORKING FOR THE CHURCH! Yippee! I think I was actually kind of at a loss of what to do, after years and years of running the stupid youth easter breakfast fundraiser. If I never see or eat egg bake again, I think I will be very happy. Loud "family" party, with lots and lots of food, apples to apples, cards and various children running around like crazed chocolate monkeys. I loved it!

Posted by: k8 at March 24, 2008 2:49 PM

So very jealous of all that back yard green!

We had a spiffy dinner with friends then quietly slipped into a food and wine induced coma.

Posted by: Mandy Lou at March 24, 2008 3:13 PM

That is one totally beautiful family you have. And you are right. The cuddling time lasts such a short time. Enjoy it while it lasts!
Happy Easter!

Posted by: Maribeth at March 24, 2008 5:18 PM

I didn't think a child could be as cute as Mia. Owen proved me wrong.

Posted by: Kristy at March 24, 2008 6:15 PM

Hey, stale Peeps = the real breakfast of champions.

Posted by: Sphincter at March 24, 2008 10:03 PM

I drove home from visiting my parents in Tennessee. (As in, didn't celebrate Easter.)

So, I'm living vicariously through you yet again. :)

Posted by: Poppy at March 24, 2008 11:20 PM

I spent Easter cleaning out my garage, ignoring my kids and not even looking at candy...

Ok, just kidding. Watching kids search for eggs has got to be one of the most fun things ever. My husband and I hiding those eggs around midnight in the dark, trying to avoid piles of dog poop in the 30 degree weather was just as fun...really, I mean it! We had fun.

Your kids are ADORABLE! I wish I still had a baby to cuddle, I admit. Mine are 6 and 11 now. So grown up.

Posted by: Rhea at March 25, 2008 12:19 AM

What did I do on Easter Sunday? Watched the CBS morning show with my roommate while we drank coffee. Went to the gym and did a leg workout. Took the metro into DC and went to a museum. Walked around a lot (beautiful day). Didn't have even one piece of candy, because I wasn't going to buy it for myself and nobody else was buying it for me.

You have a really beautiful family. :)

Posted by: Zandria at March 25, 2008 10:49 PM

Your family is so gorgeous. I know what you mean about those fleeting baby days - they're so precious. As I get ready to celebrate my daughter's 3rd birthday, I've been looking back at those sweet baby pictures and my heart still twinges every time I see them.

Our Easter was also a sugar and chocolate filled haze. Jelly beans at 8:30 am is never a good thing.

Posted by: Kimberly at March 26, 2008 7:09 PM

You should be eggcited...you've got an incredibly beautiful family...and I'll bet it's not just outer beauty either.

Posted by: Marilyn at March 26, 2008 9:11 PM