March 6, 2008

Please Make It Stop

I'm not sure if it's a sign of fundamental happiness or insanity, but I typically wake up with a song running through my brain. It rattles around my brain until it escapes my mouth in a hum or whistle and it generally sticks with me most of the day. As you can imagine, this can be a blessing or a curse. Here's the tracklist for the past week or so.

• Castaways (The Backyardigans)
  • Pirates Say Arrrrgh (The Backyardigans)
  • Twiddly Dee (The Backyardigans)
  • Tuba Polka (The Backyardigans)
  • Racing Day (The Backyardigans)
  • I Never Fail To Deliver The Mail (The Backyardigans)
  • Surf's Up, Ho Daddy (The Backyardigans)
  • A Challenge (The Backyardigans)
  • Eureka! (The Backyardigans)
  • We're Going to Mars (The Backyardigans)
  • Secret Agent (The Backyardigans)
  • Renegade (Styx)

A few questions. First, do you sense a theme? Second, when my brain finally decided to break the evil cycle of Backyardigans, why the fuck did it go with lame arena-rock band Styx? That ain't right.

As much as I'd love to hate The Backyardigans - Pablo, Tyrone, Uniqua, Tasha and Austin - I really can't. Seriously. I'd love an excuse. But they're pretty awesome. The shows are quite clever, the songs are infectious and Mia loves them with a fiery passion that burns with the strength of a thousand suns. But I am positive - absolutely convinced beyond any doubt whatsoever - that the geniuses behind this show have somehow injected it with the mental, television equivalent of crack. How else could you explain the subliminal compulsion that forces me to wake up with this unholy quintet rattling around in my head? Were I to be deprived of The Backyardigans, I know I would first experience the shakes, enter a violently convulsive state and end up chopping up my remote control, snorting it and praising the gods of Nickelodeon. And I'm fine with that. But god forbid I wake up singing Styx again.

What kind of crap is stuck in your head?

Posted by Chris at March 6, 2008 6:57 AM
Comments

Ever see Robot Chicken? If I even come *close* to an episode of that show, the bawking that they do at the end haunts me for days.

I go around *bawking*.

It's hell.

Posted by: caleal at March 6, 2008 7:22 AM

I usually wake up to the sound of barking dogs, so think jingle bells being barked and that's what I hear! LOL

Posted by: Maribeth at March 6, 2008 7:35 AM

Ooohhh... I hate to even admit what is going through my head right now! My brain picks the worst things to cling to and repeat. Currently it is a song by Britney Spears (don't shoot me! I have teenage girl in my house!). I am hoping to stomp it out by listening to some decent alternative metal on the way to work. Wish me luck!

Posted by: Tara at March 6, 2008 7:41 AM

There are two kids' programs on PBS -Big Big World and Word World. Those theme songs live in my subconcious. Unfortunately, I've also never learned more than maybe a half line from each, so I just constantly have, "word world, word world..." or "It's a big world, it's a big big world..." playing over and over and over and over in my head. Not only annoying, but frustrating too.

Posted by: ocdcontrolfreak at March 6, 2008 7:46 AM

I am stuck with Backyardigans The Mighty Knights entire soundtrack. "I'm not an egggggggg, anymore." Totally rock opera.

Posted by: william at March 6, 2008 7:56 AM

Currently, I'm really hooked on the soundtrack from "Into The Wild".

I always enjoyed Pearl Jam, but Vedder on his own...Good Stuff(tm).

Right now I'm waking up to music at the Hard Rock Hotel in Orlando. Lemme say...This place is AWESOME!!!!

Posted by: Holly Selden at March 6, 2008 8:02 AM

I woke up with the chorus of Jonathan Coulton's "Re Your Brains" running thru my head.

Posted by: wendy at March 6, 2008 8:04 AM

Oh great! Now you have me singing: What Do You Do with A Scurvy Pirate (Backyardigans). Thanks. Thanks alot.

Posted by: Mom On The Run at March 6, 2008 8:09 AM

Let's see...the Hannah Montana theme song (...bessssssst of both worlds........) also, the Wonder Pets theme song constantly goes through my head anytime the phone rings. "The phone, the phone is ringing, the phone, we'll be right there!"

Also, thanks to you for getting Backyardigans stuck in Mom on the Run's head and making her mention "What Do You Do With a Scurvy Pirate", that is now playing in a loop in my head.

Posted by: js at March 6, 2008 8:25 AM

Today: I'm Your Boogie Man - K.C. & the Sunshine Band

Yesterday: Knock On Wood - Amii Stewart

I can't explain why I have disco music running through my head.

Posted by: Maria at March 6, 2008 8:27 AM

I am SO GLAD that I am not the only one! I always wake up with a song in my head - I even started keeping a list once, just for fun. Sometimes I wonder if there might be more subliminal messages in there as to why whatever song is in there - other times I wonder where the hell today's particular song has come from.

Even stranger is that every once in a while Zach and I both apparently have the same song stuck in our head, and will suddenly blurt out the same lyric and the same time. Awesome, or SCARY?

Posted by: Caitlin at March 6, 2008 8:28 AM

Right at this very moment, I have the theme song from "Full House" in my head. But this is not my fault at all, it's all her fault. I really, really need to get something else stuck in there, though. I do not need to be humming this around the office all day.

Posted by: Leah at March 6, 2008 8:28 AM

Since you were man enough to do it first, I will also admit to liking the Backyardigans. As you said, I want to hate them but I just can't. In fact, I was sad to hear that the live show is coming nowhere near us because I totally wanted to go. The song that gets stuck in my head more than others is "If you want to be a viking and that's to your liking, say YAH!"

Posted by: Shelly at March 6, 2008 8:30 AM

hey, Beth missed Mia Monday and Owen Wednesday whats going on??? I know she is probably busy but it is so not like her to miss those. So, that is what is going on in my head...I miss my pictures! LOL!

Posted by: linda at March 6, 2008 8:34 AM

Like you kids music - Jim Gill, Baby Beluga (Raffi), The Little People CD that plays over and over again, The Curious George CD, and the theme songs to Thomas the Train & Bob the Builder. My husband and I work in the same office and we catch each other all the time humming or singing bits of these things and make fun of the other.

Posted by: Christina at March 6, 2008 8:38 AM

I really dig the Ho Daddy song but I think my Fave is "A Message" (a meeessage, a message,a very important message...)

and I have to second the wonder pets too....every single time the phone rings around here, it's a wonder pet chorus!!

And today, for added spice, we have lingering fragments of 'Love Is A Battlefield'....it was 80's week on Idol >:)

Posted by: Kris at March 6, 2008 8:45 AM

I totally just laughed at you. Sorry.

Ear plugs are your best friend. (I asked them, the feeling is mutual.)

Posted by: Poppy at March 6, 2008 8:46 AM

Ok, and I totally only mean that for when you actually get sick of The Backyardigans... cuz (YOU WILL, promise).

Posted by: Poppy at March 6, 2008 8:47 AM

My son is lulled to sleep only by my (awful) singing so I wake up with a rotation of my "nursing playlist": Madonna - Crazy for you, three different Air Supply songs, Fleetwood Mac - Brown Eyes, and Englebert Humperdink - Only Love. They work for him but I'm getting a little sick of sappy love songs that I previously used to enjoy.

Posted by: claire at March 6, 2008 8:49 AM

My kid used to watch Backyardigans all the time. My personal favorite was the Pirate Song. Arggh!! Lately SpongeBob rules the house so most days im all about 'Who lives in a pineapple under the sea...SpongeBob Squarepants!!...etc'. However the other day for some reason unknown to me I had George Michaels/Aretha Franklins 'I knew you were waiting for me' stuck in my head. I havent heard that song in years. maybe im watching too much Eli Stone....

Posted by: madmom at March 6, 2008 8:52 AM

Do you know who Laurie Berkner is? She's a kid-song person who has a couple of videos on Noggin. She also has CDs for the car or whatever. I get those stuck in my head pretty often, mostly because I've been playing them for the kids on my guitar lately.

Right now, it's Andrew York (classic guitarist). I almost don't want to plug in my headphones because the sound is so lovely in my head right now. The great thing about his music is that I haven't listened to his "Perfect Sky" CD since last weekend, but it still pops in my head.

Posted by: Brad at March 6, 2008 8:52 AM

They Might Be Giants used to be one of my favorite bands back in the day, but with Disney Playhouse in constant loop (as well as available via DVR), Birdhouse in Your Soul has been replaced by Hot Dog (Mickey Mouse Playhouse), Higglytown Heroes, and everything from Here Come the 1-2-3s.

Zeroes! (Zeroes)
Zeroes mean so much

Posted by: mr. big dubya at March 6, 2008 8:57 AM

I think I'm glad my youngest is 12 - I don't even know who the Backyardigans are! That being said, we had Barney - EGADS!

Posted by: Dana at March 6, 2008 9:03 AM

Yip yip yip!

The Backyardigans songs stay in your head for a ridiculously long time. Sometimes I think I am going insane.

Posted by: Laura GF at March 6, 2008 9:06 AM

thanks. now I have surf's up ho daddy in my head. seriously!

doesn't austin get the shaft at times? is it just me?

Posted by: Holly at March 6, 2008 9:09 AM

when my kids were little i'd have barney stuck in my head. "do your ears hang low? do they wobble to and fro? can you tie 'em over your shoulder like a..." yeah. thankfully those days are gone, but the songs still stay stuck at times.

i usually have like aretha franklin stuck in my head. "whatchu want? bayyybee i got it!"

Posted by: kimmyk at March 6, 2008 9:11 AM

make no mistake: I watch Backyardigans for my own personal pleasure.

Posted by: s@bd at March 6, 2008 9:41 AM

I'm gonna catch you (Laurie Berkner)
Victor Vito (Laurie Berkner)
We are the dinosaurs (Laurie Berkner)
Walk along the river (Laurie Berkner)
Under a shady tree (Laurie Berkner)
Bumblebee (Laurie Berkner)
Oh Susannah (Laurie Berkner version)
The Goldfish (Laurie Berkner)
Pig on her head (Laurie Berkner)
Moon Moon Moon (Laurie Berkner)
The ABC song
Twinkle Twinkle Little Star
I Love You (The Barney theme song)

The last three songs are ones specifically used to lull the baby back to sleep in the middle of the night. Along with Moon Moon Moon. Good stuff. Can't think of any better songs to plague my brain...grrrr!!!

Posted by: LFM at March 6, 2008 9:42 AM

Well, right this second I now I have Renegade by Styx in my head. The renegade who had it made, retrieved for a bounty...

Stupid suggestable early morning brain.

Posted by: bad penguin at March 6, 2008 9:45 AM

I'm Sticking With You, Velvet Underground, Juno soundtrack

Posted by: Gwen at March 6, 2008 9:47 AM

Wonderpets, wonderpets, ra ra ra...

Posted by: Amber at March 6, 2008 10:00 AM

Every morning for the past week or so, I've woken up with Sir-Mix-A-Lot's "Baby Got Back" in my head. I like the song well enough, but I'm sick of unconsciously singing it while I shave my legs, y'know?

Backyardigans is not so bad. I, too, was prepared to hate it, but I kinda liked the polka band episode. No one respects a good polka anymore, and it's nice to see someone give it the props it deserves. Little Einsteins is pretty decent, too. My kids might not know how to spell Dvorak, but they know some of the selections from the Number 9 Symphony is E Minor from "The New World," and they've been exposed to some visual art that most of the under-10 set is not familiar with.

Posted by: MamaKaren at March 6, 2008 10:06 AM

Ferris Beullers Day Off...

Posted by: steff at March 6, 2008 10:09 AM

How could you have left off The Great Pie?

Hate. It. In. My. Head.

Posted by: Pammer at March 6, 2008 10:09 AM

The Wonderpets theme song. The phone...the phone is ringing... Fortunately, my daughter isn't into the Backyardigans.

Posted by: harrylips at March 6, 2008 10:19 AM

I don't usually wake up with songs in my head, but I do get things stuck in my head after listening to the i*Pod on the way to work. And of course having songs like 'Pour Some Sugar on Me' or "FMLYHM" by Seether stuck in your head at an elementary school is not necessariy looked upon fondly.

Posted by: Kate at March 6, 2008 10:25 AM

Oh the power of suggestion. Now I have Renegade banging around in there. I've been waking up with Snow Patrol - Shut Your Eyes in my head... And weirdly - now I have a mash-up of Renegade and Paralyzer (Finger 11) going on...

Posted by: Sue R at March 6, 2008 10:39 AM

I always have at least one song in my head. Right now though, it's a song off the new Mary J. Blige CD and I'm pretty okay with it. Last week it was a Hannah Montana song, which wasn't quite as nice.

Then again, I feel the way you do about Backyarigans about Hannah Montana. My nieces adore her and there is so much worse out there.

Posted by: Phoenix at March 6, 2008 10:44 AM

oMG. Wonderpets make me want to curl up into a fetal position. They are my 'Barney'. *shudders*

There is a show called Peep and the Big Wide World on Discovery Kids, I think. It is aimed at 3 to 5 year olds to help teach them about their surroundings, it is sort of science-y.

I LOVE IT. I watch it all the time, and Maya simply adores it now. And the theme song rocks. So it is not so bad having it stuck in my head.

LOL

Posted by: Jen at March 6, 2008 10:52 AM

"Everybody shouts Ho Daddy ho daddy ho daddy, surfs up! Surfs Up! Ho daddy!" Gee, thanks for getting that BACK in my head after I had just gotten it out. Also, "Vroom vroom, cruising the dunes." I'm with you on the Backyardigans.

Posted by: Heather at March 6, 2008 10:57 AM

I went to RENT last night, so fortunately, that is what I've got rolling through my head today, but I'm prone to getting hannah montana hooey stuck in my head because my 5 year old loves it.

Posted by: sarah at March 6, 2008 10:58 AM

I always have music in my head!!! I don't know where it comes from, but it's always there.

Currently, "Secret Agent Man". I have no idea why.

Posted by: stephanie at March 6, 2008 11:01 AM

Well, now, Renegade is stuck in my head. Damn!

My son used to be hooked on the Wiggles three or four years ago. Oh, how I dreaded that Fruit Salad song. That would stick with me for days. Now, he has burdened me with Slow Ride, because it's the song he plays on Guitar Hero - over, and over, and over.

Posted by: Jeff St Real at March 6, 2008 11:12 AM

I have the choruses of two new Sheryl Crow's stuck in my head currently: "Peace Be Upon Us" and "Shine over Babylon".

Agreed with Caleal on the end credit of Robot Chicken. I want that on my ringtone and infect everyone with it!

Posted by: oakley at March 6, 2008 11:19 AM

Sometimes the song stuck in my head is totally a message from the subconscious. Like when we were thinking of putting an offer down on a house and I wasn't sure it was the one I wanted even though my then-husband was pushing for it, I kept waking up to Vertical Horizon's "Everything you want" running through my head, for days, and I realized that my subconscious was telling me that I didn't want the house, it 'means nothing to you, and you don't know why'. I listened. We didn't put in an offer. The song stopped. We bought another house that I love.

The last couple of days I've been waking up with "Sweet Jane" stuck in my head -- but here's the weird thing. Sometimes I'm hearing Lou Reed doing it, and sometimes it's the Cowboy Junkies' version. I have no idea what this means.

Posted by: alison at March 6, 2008 11:20 AM

International... SUPER SPY!!!!

I was totally ready to hate the Backyardigans, but... I just can't! I love them. Especially Austin, who is so unfairly overlooked in so many episodes. And I now feel really stupid that I care so much.

My husband rented the DVDs of the Gummi Bears and Cole has been obsessed with them ever since. Gummi Bears! Jumping here and there and everywhere! High adventure that's beyond compare! They are the Gummi Bears! They are the Gummi BEARS!

Posted by: heels at March 6, 2008 11:34 AM

I love, love, love the Backyardigans. I don't mind at all when one of their songs is stuck in my head. It's far better than any of the Dora or Diego ditties, or the Wonderpets theme. Yipes.

Racing Day is one of my all-time favourites. How can you not love Zydeco?

Have you seen the new episode "Garbage Trek" on the DVD "The Mighty Knights" (which is an awesome rock opera, I might add). Anyway, "Garbage Trek" is a Backyardigans homage to Star Trek. It's hilarious. If you like that sort of thing, of course...

Posted by: Latte Mommy at March 6, 2008 11:48 AM

Honestly, I sing the Backyardigans theme song for 40% of my day. It's infectious. Everyone in the house (all three of us) sing it constantly. My husband really likes the "We're Knights, That's Right" song too...oh, and there's one that he couldn't wait to tell me about...something about a secret agent.

Check out this video: http://twg223.blogspot.com/2008/02/happy-birthday-mama-in-video.html

If you listen closely, she can't get past the Backyardigans theme song to sing Happy Birthday. That is until she yells at me to turn the viewfinder thingy towards her so that she can see herself.

The Backyardigans - it's what all the cool kids are singing!

Posted by: Tomika at March 6, 2008 11:48 AM

Currently I'm stuck on "Hey Baby" by No Doubt. I do not know why. The song does not exist in my iTunes, but it has fully taken over my head.

Posted by: Heather at March 6, 2008 11:56 AM

It's called repetition. The same thing happened to me when my kids were young, but it was Raffi, not the Backyardigans. And, to this day, Down by the Bay and Apples and Bananas still pop into my head.

I remember one morning where I realized that I had forgotten to turn off the Raffi CD after I dropped the kids off at day care, and I had spent the rest of my drive to work singing to it, while alone. Good memories actually. :)

Posted by: Carolyn at March 6, 2008 12:04 PM

As if waking up with a Backyardigans tune in my head *without* outside help isn't enough, I seriously now have "Racing Day" stuck in my head.

(side note - you've got to see my kid do "A Pirate Says Arrgg")

I love the Backyardigans. I do. I set recordings on my DVR for myself as much as my girl. There are now more Backyardigans episodes on my DVR than Lost, Project Runway, and All My Children combined. Of course, those others I delete. You never know when you might need a "Surf's Up" or "Horsing Around". Emergencies do happen.

Posted by: kate at March 6, 2008 12:09 PM

First off, no making fun of Styx. They are truly awesome and I am cool for liking them. Really.

Second, I don't mean to shamelessly self-promote, but here is what I have going through my head:

-and-

For as much as I like Sandra Boynton's books and music, I think I'm going nuts now...

I may need to listen to Metallica at work today. Only they have the power to drown out any other tunes in my head, without filling it with something new and annoying.

(On a side note: Sandra Boynton's CDs truly are great listens as far as kids' music is concerned - it is just the over and over and over and over and over... again that will get you.)

Posted by: RC at March 6, 2008 12:19 PM

Sadly, My Humps by the Black Eyed Peas is running around my head right now - though I am trying to run it out with a little Dresden Dolls!

I have to admit to not having children and knowing most of those Backyardigans songs (I even know which episodes they come from!). I guess I'm a good aunt, that and the fact that I can't stand most of the other programming that my nieces watch. So I get stuck watching a lot of Backyardigans.

Posted by: Mandy Lou at March 6, 2008 12:22 PM

Posted by: Mandy Lou at March 6, 2008 12:22 PM

This one would blow all the others away for DAYS.
I truly wish plain text alone conveyed the melody and resonance of this one from Dora the Explorer:

ONE BIG WISH!
UN DESEO!
BIGGER THAN A LOLLIPOP OR STICK OF LICORICE!
ONE-------- BIG WISH!

A WISH A WISH A WISH...
etc

crap now its stuck in my head again.
$&%(#

Posted by: jessica at March 6, 2008 12:25 PM

"This is the song that never ends! Yes it goes on and on my friends. Some people started singin' it, not knowing what it was! And they'll continue singing it forever just because... This is the song that never ends! Yes it goes and on my friends. Some people..." etc.

Posted by: GreenCanary@hotmail.com at March 6, 2008 1:37 PM

All Springsteen all the time. (Just got back from a road trip.)
So the medley goes like this -- only one line from each.
Gypsy Biker
Badlands
Logn Walk Home
The River

Yeah. There'll be another Springsteen post today. Why? Because I am not done talking about it.

Posted by: Nat at March 6, 2008 1:38 PM

Have you ever seen the Wonder Pets? Whenever we get Dora'd out or backyardigans'd out, we start singing the Wonder Pets song. NOTHING can withstand that freaking song, not even Styx.

BTW: I get Bad Seamstress Blues by Cinderella stuck in my head almost weekly. I'd trade you that for Styx anyday.

Posted by: Mr Lady at March 6, 2008 2:33 PM

well, after what Beth said on her site about wanting to have more kids right away, it seems perfect that your musical tastes have become so daddified (I love to make up my own words).

Posted by: ocdcontrolfreak at March 6, 2008 3:16 PM

Any song I hear from backyardigans sticks with me for a while. When we first started watching this kind of stuff with my toddler, my teenager and I had a similar problem. We couldn't get it out of our brains, it was crazy. And scary. It doesn't get better.

Posted by: mandy at March 6, 2008 3:31 PM

"It's racing day, it's racing day
Racing day, it's racing da-a-ay,
It's not sausage casing day **wait. wtf? did they just sing 'it's not sausage casing day? i'm writing a letter**
Today's the day we race."

i freaking *heart* the Backyardigans.

Posted by: desiree at March 6, 2008 4:11 PM

My brothers are 10 and 11 years younger than me. I remember when I was in high school, I would routinely find myself humming a song in class only to realize later that it was the Barney theme song... *Shudder*

Posted by: Tink at March 6, 2008 5:31 PM

Sadly, your list above sums up most of the songs stuck in my head....particularly the Surf's Up, Ho Daddy tune. My 5 yr old keeps shaking her head really hard to try and get that song out of her head. She said she is tired of her brain making her sing it over and over again. It cracks me up.

Fortunately, Netflix just delivered the new Backyardigans: Movers and Shakers DVD, so we have a whole new group of songs to sing in our heads, such as the ever so popular "Movers of Arabia" and others.

Posted by: Jen at March 6, 2008 5:41 PM

So - is it bad that I haven't heard of The Backyardigans? Are they like Veggie Tales?

I'm totally stuck on Missy Higgins "Where I Stood" and Kate Voegele "Kindly Unspoken"

Posted by: Emily at March 6, 2008 5:44 PM

*singing* Which one of these things is not like the others? */singing*

I understand how you could have all of those Backyardigans songs (I actually know of a few of them and I don't even have kids yet) stuck in your poor head, but how the hell did a Styx song get stuck in there?!??!?

Me? At any moment I could have any of Bon Jovi's songs from their entire discography... and two songs from the Wicked soundtrack -- "Popular" and "Defing Gravity". That's what happens when you love Bon Jovi and then just saw Wicked last week... and then your husband plays the soundtrack non-stop when you're around.

It could be a hell of a lot worse. Like that time when I had "I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas" (by Gayla Peevey) stuck in my head for MONTHS. Or if you've got Stix rattling around in there...

Posted by: ironic1 at March 6, 2008 5:50 PM

Also on PBS, Super Why! The cheesiest 80 commercial sounding songs ever. Byt, my son loves it. It used to be Lazytown (Nick Jr). and some mornings its Teletubbies. toddler craziness!

Posted by: bea at March 6, 2008 5:52 PM

Sadly, today while hiking on a beautiful sunny day......I was humming the song to the Wiggles, The Wiggles, da da da da da da

Posted by: Shannon at March 6, 2008 6:09 PM

Hannah effing Montana singing "You get the beeeeeeest of both worlds". I seriously feel your pain! Mila eats, sleeps, and breathes Hannah Montana! And? Did she really have to have a double life, thus producing two (2) equally annoying CD's?

BTW, I'm Amanda and I have been reading Beth's site for a while. I felt immediately drawn to her b/c my daughter's name is Mila and we call her Milabean (like, seriously, she thinks it's her last name). Also? Had Summer been a boy she would've been Owen so you guys totally rule at naming your kiddos as far as I'm concerned.

Posted by: Mymilabean at March 6, 2008 6:15 PM

Oh, hey, that should be, "DefYing Gravity". Yes, I know how to spell. It's my backspace key that gets out of hand.

Posted by: ironic1 at March 6, 2008 7:25 PM

On any given day, I'm singing "We're Knights, That's Right" or "Mystery Lifeguard" from the Backyardigans.

Posted by: Eatmisery at March 6, 2008 8:45 PM

I think it all means your fundamentally happy...or insane. Hope that helps. ;)

We went to the Backyardigan show last week.... Enough to make one insane. ;) It was cute.

Posted by: Haley-O at March 6, 2008 9:35 PM

I wake up with a song from Backyardigans or Hannah Montana stuck in my head every single morning... and I watch those shows by choice.

I'm sorry!! But remember... you've got the whole wide world in your yard to explore - and I'm sure you'll always find things you've never seen before... that's why every day you're back for more with your friends.. The Backyardigans.

Posted by: University Politico at March 6, 2008 10:26 PM

What crap is stuck in my head? Well... thanks to you I'll be singing "Castaways" for the rest of the night.

Actually, I have to admit, I just bought Zoe (and myself) the newest Backyardigans cd today. I'm embarrassed to admit that I don't mind listening to them in the car.

Oh, and the comment up above mentioning VeggieTales... we don't watch them. But... we were curious about what they were and Netflix-ed the "Silly Songs with Larry" dvd. Nick and I were hysterical... very catchy tunes. We bought the cd. How embarrassing??? But seriously... hysterical.

Posted by: Colleen at March 6, 2008 11:52 PM

Sometimes the song that is playing when your alarm goes off in the morning is the song that ends up sticking in your head for the day. Maybe Styx woke you up?

Posted by: coolchick at March 7, 2008 6:09 AM

To make you feel better, I got up this morning with Secret Agent playing in my head to! Ugh!!!

Posted by: Rebecca at March 7, 2008 9:48 AM

I always have The Backyardigans in my head. They live there, I swear. Good thing that it is a catchy little show with pretty decent kids music.

Currently: To Catch a Butterfly from the episode of the same name. Most brilliant Backyardigans episode. ever.

Posted by: SleepyNita at March 7, 2008 3:11 PM

Posted by: SleepyNita at March 7, 2008 3:11 PM

I am so there with you, my 2 year old daughter loves loves loves the Backyardigans with a passion, as you say, that is brighter than a 1000 suns. I know the words to all the songs, and like you, I can't quite hate them, as much as I would like too.

What's funny is that with my son, it was the Wiggles, and I started dreaming about the Wiggles on a very regular basis. I would wake up with some dream about Greg, or Anthony, or Murry, or Jeff...and my husband was having the same problem.

I think it's a conspiracy!

Posted by: Old Crone at March 7, 2008 3:50 PM

having read the comments with loads of mentions of a Hannah Montanna, I now have 'montanna skys', john Denver stuck in my head!

it will be the most bizare things some days.

My hubby suffers from this, particularly 'wuthering hieghts' by Kate Bush - I used to just sing 'caaathy' at him and be stuck with it all day. Now I just have to look at him in a certain way :D

Posted by: mamacrow at March 7, 2008 4:03 PM

We just read this book for my book club where this family moves to a farm and tries to live as though it were the year 1900 - the first couple of months, with no tv or radio to distract him, the father is haunted by all the bade music in his head.

Posted by: Cattula at March 7, 2008 4:33 PM

make sure you check out Pocoyo if you ever get the chance. bar none, the most fantastic kids' animation out there, imho. I just ordered a couple of DVDs - can't wait to watch with my boy, when he's old enough for some boob-tubery.

Posted by: platypotamus at March 7, 2008 11:52 PM

You sound like this guy I know who has a young daughter. He's always breaking out into songs from TV shows and movies that she watches. It's hilarious. :)

Posted by: Zandria at March 8, 2008 12:30 PM

I too wake EVERY morning with a song in my head.

Today: Sick Boy by Social Distortion
Yesterday: Go Your Own Way by Fleetwood Mac

I am not sure if it is normal, but it sure drives me nuts sometimes.

Posted by: Brian at March 8, 2008 10:06 PM