March 18, 2008

It's The End Of The World...As You Know It

I don't mean to alarm you but it's quite possible that the end of the world is near. Don't be surprised if, by the end of the day, you see pigs taking flight. Nor should you be shocked if Paris Hilton wins the Gloria Steinem Woman Of The Year Award, George Bush learns long division and how to say nuclear, Pink Floyd reunites for both a brand new album and a world tour, global warming is fully reversed, Britney is voted Mother Of The Year, the war in Iraq ends and ushers in a long period of lasting peace throughout the world, Tibet is freed, Ann Coulter admits she has a penis and it's actually her shame that's made her so irritable, Jim Carey makes a movie that doesn't drive me absolutely apeshit, and the cure for cancer is found and that cure is donuts.

Why? On Sunday afternoon, I shed my pants, put on shorts, threw on my running shoes, turned on the treadmill and ran. Two miles. Running. There was no one behind me with a baseball bat or a gun. I wasn't being chased by a wild animal or the ghost of a teenage girlfriend's father who discovered his daughter and I doing something morally questionable in their basement. Just me. Running. By choice. Fucking A.

I'm not sure what exactly got into me but all the nervousness surrounding the whole Great Insurance Debacle of 2008 got to me. I wanted to shed a little energy. And shed I did. Two miles worth of shedding. And do you want to know something? It didn't kill me. In fact, it felt kind of good. Now, I'm not going to make any promises about turning this bizarre activity into a habit. But don't be surprised if it happens again. Or the universe implodes.

Two marginally off-topic updates:
#1. As to the insurance issue itself, I'm happy to let you all know that everything worked out all right. We're covered. Thanks for keeping your fingers crossed.
#2. You guys keep telling me I haven't posted enough pictures recently. Well, behold.

Posted by Chris at March 18, 2008 6:27 AM
Comments

OK late to the party, so I'll comment on both posts here.

I don't understand how the company can deny coverage to your family. Is it like enrolling him more than 31d later means he's not your son or something? I don't get it. So if you weren't persistent, your son could not have insurance? Really?

Wow. Just wow.

I'm glad you worked it out, but if I were you I'd talk to your HR or benefits rep about this policy, because it sounds questionable at best.

Posted by: SciFi Dad at March 18, 2008 7:25 AM

You have two totally beautiful children!
Glad all went well with the insurance, and running? Wow! I am impressed!

Posted by: Maribeth at March 18, 2008 7:39 AM

Good for you! Must have been the phase of the moon on Sunday or something - on the same day on the other side of the Atlantic, in a wee patch of Scotland, I managed my first ever hour-long run. Four miles, thank you very much. How cool are we?!

Posted by: Loth at March 18, 2008 8:16 AM

I have a lot of friends who run and once upon a time, I dabbled in a bit of running myself. I never made it very far though because I inherited my mother's bad knees, which makes running kind of a bitch after the fact. You know, you run and spend the next two days in bed paralyzed by pain. But I often dream of running - sans pain - and the thrill that would come with it. Currently, I'm researching some dance classes because you know what? I LOVE TO DANCE. I'm not ashamed. I love to dance. Bellydance, to be more specific.

So here's to getting up and moving!

And also, for being covered my insurance! And pictures!

Posted by: Sparkle Pants at March 18, 2008 8:39 AM

Yay, pics!

Posted by: claire at March 18, 2008 8:40 AM

Nice job, sir.

Posted by: Brad at March 18, 2008 8:49 AM

Great pics. I mentioned to Beth that the one of Owen mostly naked in the car seat looked like he was rocking out to Iron Maiden. That would be certainly be something.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at March 18, 2008 9:03 AM

I did something similar a few days ago. It must be the moon or something.

Posted by: Debra at March 18, 2008 9:19 AM

While I agree wholeheartedly that Jim Carrey is a pimple on the ass of Canada and I really wish he'd never entered the public eye, I have had to grudgingly admit that Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is one of my top ten fav movies of all time. While it did result in a tear in the fabric of the time-space continuum, it did not bring about the end of the world. Maybe that's why you didn't notice. ;)

Posted by: Martin at March 18, 2008 9:31 AM

I'm a little late on .. well, everything.

First off, insurance sucks. End of story. When I had to pay for my own because my hubby's company didn't offer anything without promising your first-born, I was appalled at the price tag. And the stipulations. I hope everything works out for lil Owen!

And go Cactus! Reading about your triumphal treadmill run makes me motivated to go to the gym today. Well, maybe. We'll see. Okay, probably not. But if I see the pigs flying, I'll def know what's up.

Posted by: Sarah R at March 18, 2008 9:48 AM

Yeah. I shaved. Both my legs. I think spring is coming. There's a little bit of terror about taking off the layers and layers of clothing required in the Midwest. I think shaving might be akin to exercising.

Posted by: k8 at March 18, 2008 10:17 AM

Running? Um...cool. Good luck with that one. I am convinced donuts will prove a cure for something one day. That and Starbucks.

Love the smiling pics of Owen.

Posted by: Phoenix at March 18, 2008 11:06 AM

OH MY GAWD!! Jim Carey just made a movie that doesn't drive ME apeshit insane! The world really IS ending!

(Have you seen the Horton movie? Really quite cute.)

Posted by: heels at March 18, 2008 11:40 AM

Whoohoo! Let the running shoe purchase fiesta begin!

You know, Chris, the running bloggers will be happy to see you at the next New Haven Road Race. :)

Posted by: Jon (was) in Michigan at March 18, 2008 11:59 AM

My husband is a recent convert - though he is more "race walking" than actual running. He did a half-marathon this weekend. (His third!) I am now training to do one with him next Labor Day!

Posted by: Sue R at March 18, 2008 12:15 PM

Glad to hear everything worked out on the insurance side of things. I know first hand how scary that can be, not child-wise but when I found out my meds were going to cost me $1000 a month, I learned really quick.

Good on ya for the running. Normally when mind and body give you those signals, its a good idea to follow. Road races or marathons perhaps?

Nice photos man. Do you ever wish your job was more creative or that you perhaps were able to work for another company, in another position, doing more of what you do here?

Sorry, lots of energy today. Time to go outside!

Cheers,
JJ

Posted by: JJ at March 18, 2008 12:38 PM

Pictures! Glad everything worked out for you guys.

Posted by: Fraulein N at March 18, 2008 2:22 PM

"Pink Floyd reunites for both a brand new album and a world tour"

Hate to break it to you, but this is the least likely of all.

And me, running, never happens.

P.S. Sorry I have been MIA again. Traveling like a mo'fo. I have been missing my Fish Cacti.

Posted by: Aimee Greeblemonkey at March 18, 2008 2:32 PM

I hadn't ever been to the gym before until this year. After a few visits, I went on the exercise bike for 7 minutes and almost blacked out.

I'm glad your experience was better than mine!

Posted by: Richard at March 18, 2008 5:33 PM

Let me know when you sign up for the Marine Corps Marathon...

Posted by: Nat at March 18, 2008 6:18 PM

That Owen sure is a ham for the camera! You and Beth make bee-you-tee-ful children! Thanks for the picture share!

And the health care thing? Total BS.... it's always about what works for THEM and not for us peons. You know, the ones who, despite having insurance, STILL pay out through the nose AND have to bend over and take it. Glad you got to the bottom of that pile of crap!

Posted by: ironic1 at March 18, 2008 8:29 PM

Good on ya for the running! That's quite cool, and I wish I could do it! (I suppose I could if I really wanted to :P)

Posted by: Heather at March 18, 2008 9:02 PM

I knew that insurance thing would have to work out somehow- even a faceless corporation has to have pity on new parents. Love the new picture of Owen's huge, gummy smile!

Posted by: Erin at March 18, 2008 9:38 PM

The Cactus on a treadmill? Willingly! I have to say, I'm quite surprised. But yes, very cool as well.

And look at you, being able to run two miles just off the bat! It took me WEEKS of walk/running to build up to that.

Posted by: Zandria at March 18, 2008 9:52 PM

Oh, I'm almost motivated to go and exercise! No wait, it's passed :-)

Keep at it if you can, my best attempt is to play Wii every day.

Posted by: Mandy Lou at March 18, 2008 11:32 PM

1. no shit? good for you!

2. this guy wants to send you some jing, i think:

Posted by: jessica at March 19, 2008 1:16 AM

I'm glad it worked out for you.

I don't run unless someone is chasing me. I'll stand in the sidelines and cheer you on.

Posted by: Maria at March 19, 2008 4:46 AM

Owen is so stinkin' cute! I love the baby fuzz hair. I bet he smells good, too. Like milk and diaper cream.

P.S. Stop running. Nothing good can come of it.

Posted by: GreenCanary at March 19, 2008 11:01 AM

So RELIEVED to hear about your insurance victory!!! It's all too often that we hear about people getting screwed by an insurance company that this is a thrilling surprise. :)

Posted by: Cynthia at March 19, 2008 12:33 PM

Way to go Chris! Two miles is a great start. And I've really found exercise to be a wonderful stress reliever.

Glad the insurance stuff worked out ok. They should know that people with newborns might be just a little bit distracted about deadlines!

Posted by: bad penguin at March 19, 2008 9:16 PM