March 31, 2008

Three Day Weekends and Cupcakes

Monday is somewhat of a rude awakening due, in part, because I took the day off on Friday. It's also damn early. Unlike previous attempts at taking the day off, I paid absolutely no attention to work whatsoever. I didn't even get the shakes or anything. But what did I do with the time? Mia and Owen thankfully conspired to let us sleep in. I'm not talking something acceptable to a college student, like noon, or anything. But I was in bed at least three hours longer than I usually am. It was wonderful. We got up (eventually), quickly got dressed and the four of us headed to Mia's music class. We danced, sang, and played instruments for an hour then hit a drive through and got french fries. Then we danced, sang, played instruments, skipped a nap and some of us got really grumpy and needed an early bed time.

Much of Saturday was spent working on the house. I rewired and replaced a kitchen light and we installed a new ceiling fan in the kitchen. Out with the fugly remnant last cool in 1986 (if ever). We've been here since August and already - with the exception of two ceiling fans and anything in the basement - we've replaced every single fixture in the place.

Though the reasons are unclear at this point, Sunday involved a bit of sleeping and screaming. I slept in with Owen after which he decided it would be a cool idea to show off his precociousness and roll over whilst lying on his stomach on the floor. We were all duly impressed especially since Beth managed to catch it on video.

Untitled from PlaygroupDropout on Vimeo.

Of course, also caught on tape is me tickling Mia enough to cause her to topple to the floor smashing her head in the process. She was fine. I was slightly more traumatized. So, it was a mixed bag as far as the videotaping went but a rather strong day in the developmental category. I'm sure next weekend Owen will show off by riding a bike or writing his first novel.

Then we made cupcakes.

Last night before putting Mia to bed, both Mia and Owen were hanging out on our bed. When I was out in the hallway, Mia started talking to Owen. She was telling him that something was okay then she launched into a story. It was adorable. Absolutely adorable. When I actually went into the room a few minutes later, Owen was lying down on the bed, a huge smile on his face, staring at the ceiling fan while Mia was attempting to hide under a giant sombrero (Yes, for some reason there was a sombrero in our bedroom. Ole!). I was, yet again, reminded how wonderful and ridiculous life is.

Posted by Chris at March 31, 2008 6:32 AM
Comments

I'll have to wait until I get home to see the video. I'm glad the kids are okay.

The sibling chatting is adorable.

Posted by: Maria at March 31, 2008 8:04 AM

Truly wonderful. Congrats on videoing a lot and catching that moment! You see..... giving birth to a 3 month old was worth it! Silly Beth and her complaining.

Posted by: Brad at March 31, 2008 8:51 AM

it's hard to explain the connection seen in the eyes of 2 little siblings 'chatting' away. sure does make my heart warm and fuzzy when I see it in my own home.

Ole indeed!

Posted by: Holly at March 31, 2008 8:57 AM

She was probably saying... ok kid, enough with the showboatin'. There's only room in this house for one cutie and I'm it, see? The next time you pull a stunt like this you'll be two paci's shy and a blankie short... you got it!? (oh, there's Dad) "...and they lived happily ever after, the end."

He was smilin' cause he was either paralyzed by fear... or plotting his next act.

Posted by: Johnny Smoke at March 31, 2008 9:06 AM

Kids are supposed to have head trauma, it's part of growing up.

It's really awesome that Beth was randomly filming when Owen did his first flop-over!

And, may I please have a cupcake? :)

Posted by: Poppy at March 31, 2008 9:08 AM

mmm...cupcakes.

Sounds like a pretty awesome weekend all around.

Posted by: bad penguin at March 31, 2008 10:03 AM

I think the thing that makes the video (besides the fact that Owen rolled over) is Beth's reaction and your laugh, and Mia looking around like, "What the heck? What's so great about that?" It's a moment. And now it's immortalized. (As is the head trauma, but I'm sure you'll get over it. It will be fodder for Mia's therapist later on.)

What a great weekend!

Posted by: k8 at March 31, 2008 10:14 AM

I'm somewhat amused by Beth's very calm indication to you that Owen had rolled over.

I love Mia and the sombrero entertaining Owen. You can tell when she's older that she's going to be a very excellent big sister to him.

Posted by: Michelle at March 31, 2008 10:15 AM

I really enjoy the pointing hand coming into the frame. It pretty much makes the video.

Oh, and the baby reaching a milestone or something like that. That's important, too.

Posted by: caleal at March 31, 2008 10:20 AM

Yay for rolling over!

Posted by: C-Rah at March 31, 2008 11:16 AM

I doubt, very much, that ANYONE is surprised about the sombrero. And the best part of the video? "Um?" (pointing)

The fact that y'all didn't see that coming gives me the giggles.

Posted by: Mr Lady at March 31, 2008 11:21 AM

I love in disbelief in Beth's voice :-)

Posted by: GreenCanary at March 31, 2008 11:53 AM

i love this. mostly mia's reaction to it. priceless.

Posted by: ali at March 31, 2008 12:01 PM

Sounds like a wonderful weekend! I am so jealous of your cupcakes. They look delicious!

Posted by: Hope at March 31, 2008 12:59 PM

Wow! Isn't it like, insanely early for him to roll over? That's awesome! You have a fast learner there! Oh, and will Mia tell me a story? Because I was in the worst mood before I heard her sweet little voice chattering away to him. SO adorable! And very spirit lifting!

You have a beautiful family, Chris!

Posted by: Pocklock at March 31, 2008 2:09 PM

I am not surprised by the hat, as you are after all the hat man, correct? Ad the picture and video are adorable!

Posted by: Maribeth at March 31, 2008 5:20 PM

Good ol' fashioned family time. Nothing beats it. Except babies rolling over for the first. And harming our own young. That's the best!

Posted by: Amy at March 31, 2008 5:38 PM

What a perfect weekend. And what perfect cupcakes.

Posted by: angela at March 31, 2008 7:30 PM

Those moments...they're the best, eh?

Posted by: mamatulip at March 31, 2008 7:43 PM

For some reason there is a large cowboy hat in our room. Not a cool one. It's pretty dorky and I just noticed it. Huh.

Owen has mad skillz and both those little peeps are cute enough to eat with a spoon!

Posted by: Meegan at March 31, 2008 9:10 PM

Hee...I *LOVE* the video. So cute!! :)

Posted by: Freakazojd at March 31, 2008 10:18 PM

You're brave to leave yours in the room alone together (I know, you were close enough so it was safe!)! ;) Whenever I turn around for a minute, the monkey ends up putting a washcloth on her brother's face, or lying on him, etc.... Mind you, the other day, she was "reading" a book to him, and it was so darn sweet!

Posted by: Haley-O at April 1, 2008 1:45 AM

hahah... "um.... *point*.... our child just rolled over" and you just laugh. that's awesome, lol.

Posted by: tiffanie at April 1, 2008 3:03 PM

I love that Mia was telling Owen a story :) Those are the most awesome little moments.

Posted by: Jules at April 1, 2008 11:09 PM

Yep- he rolled over! - on each of the four times I watched the video :)

That is awesome! And amazing. He is about five or six weeks old?

Sheesh- at this rate, he'll be joining you for jogging in about three months.

Mia's little voice is adorable. How sweet to hear her telling stories to amuse her baby brother. What a good and proud big sister!

Posted by: Karen at April 3, 2008 9:05 PM