March 21, 2008

The Weeklies #28

The Weekly Most Worst Moment. There were five of them - each time the alarm went off the first time each day.

The Weekly Number. 55,527 - total comments on my site. Wow.

The Weekly Reads. Don Winslow's The Winter Of Frankie Machine was one of the best pieces of crime fiction I've ever read. His California Fire and Life was almost as good. I had high hopes for The Death and Life of Bobby Z. I was a little disappointed. Don't get me wrong - it's a good book but it just wasn't up to the high standard Winslow set for himself. Try some of Winslow's other stuff, then give Bobby Z a shot.

The Weekly Words. Sleep and deprivation. I need a nap.

The Weekly Schadenfreude. So, shortly after taking over the reins of gubernatorial power from Eliot Spitzer, David Paterson and his wife stood in front of journalists and admitted to a long series of extra-marital affairs. Now, I realize his motivation was to head off potential scandal but it doesn't seem to have worked. In making his own statement he essentially blamed his wife for the affairs themselves. This begs one question - what the hell is in the water up there in New York? Also, Heather Mills landed $48 million in her divorce from Sir Paul. Next time, prenup, Paul.

The Weekly Hypothetical Question. You are offered any talent - you can dance like Astaire, paint like VanGogh, or write like Hemingway for instance. The only problem is that, while this talent will make you famous and world-renown for whatever it is, you'll lose any other existing talents you have. What do you do? And what talent would you like to have above all?

Posted by Chris at March 21, 2008 7:00 AM
Comments

I'd love to be a super-talented photographer. One of those folks that sees something and instantly creates a masterpiece of a photograph.

And, seeing as I have no talents other than photography, I don't think that the "giving up all other talents" part would bother me much :-)

Posted by: Alissa at March 21, 2008 8:08 AM

No I would stay the same. Look at all those ultra talented people. They all tend to die young and so, so many suicides.
No I am much happier being mediocre me.

Posted by: Maribeth at March 21, 2008 8:15 AM

I'm happy with myself the way I am, but if I was able to keep my myriad of talents that I already have (shyeah) and ADD another talent I would either want to be able to tap dance or twirl fire...or twirl fire while I tap dance!

Posted by: Mymilabean at March 21, 2008 9:12 AM

Schadenfreude: What I find hilarious is that there is a huge condom campaign in NY that these two engineered. Priceless.

Hypothetical Question: My answer is the same as Alissa's. I would want to photograph like Berenice Abbott or Gordon Parks.

Posted by: Maria at March 21, 2008 9:19 AM

I would totally take the offer to write like Hemingway... what better way to be preserved in history than in something as portable, reprintable and enjoyable than books!!

Posted by: Stephanie at March 21, 2008 9:23 AM

I'd want to be a great writer, definitely.

Posted by: Fraulein N at March 21, 2008 9:26 AM

Hemingway? I would like to write like Seuss. wait a minute....anybody can write like Seuss..nevermind.

Posted by: william at March 21, 2008 10:04 AM

I'd want to be a Master of Disguise. That way, I could mimic anyone and pretty much be talented in everything. Also, it would make me very popular at parties.

Posted by: GreenCanary at March 21, 2008 10:13 AM

Singing. No wait, writing. No, singing. No wait . . . aw hell, Cactus, I can't pick.

Posted by: Gwen at March 21, 2008 10:31 AM

I've been a pretty good writer for a long time, but sort of gave up on it. I think if I hunkered down and paid more attention, I could meet the potential of which every english teacher I've ever had has consistently tried to convince me. So, I think I'll just forfeit the option of attaining another talent and try harder to give the ones I already have the time they deserve. As for one that I'd like to have above all, it would have to be the ability to quiet my mind and stop with the doom-and-gloom scenarios that tend to simultaneously nullify the great successes and make the small failures seem overwhelming. If I could do that, I would quickly become talented at everything.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at March 21, 2008 10:31 AM

I would LOVE to be able to dance...like britney (pre-meltdown)

Posted by: Shannen at March 21, 2008 11:05 AM

I would LOVE to be able to dance...like britney (pre-meltdown)

Posted by: Shannen at March 21, 2008 11:05 AM

oops, apparently i not only can't dance, i can't leave a comment without hitting enter twice either :) have a good weekend!

Posted by: Shannen at March 21, 2008 11:06 AM

i want to be able to scream like jamie lee curtis. imagine the possibilities...

Posted by: struglas at March 21, 2008 12:09 PM

Musician. Singing and playing guitar. If I had the talent to live well as a musician, I would. Although I almost said "pro-hockey player", I think being a musician is better because it makes other people happy, and can last a lifetime.

Posted by: Brad at March 21, 2008 12:54 PM

Jedi mind trick.

Is that a talent?

Posted by: Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah at March 21, 2008 1:40 PM

Ha, but you have you read the judge's opinion in the McCartney-Mills divorce? It is hilarious and fascinating and cringeworthy in equal measure. Worth a peruse if you have a spare moment.

Posted by: Loth at March 21, 2008 1:42 PM

I can't do it dude. As cool as it might be maximize myself in one field, I think I'd rather be a jack of all trades than a master of only one.

Posted by: Rengirl at March 21, 2008 2:57 PM

It's something I've pondered for quite awhile actually. I used to be so jealous that someone was SO GOOD at that ONE THING. Me? I'm moderately good at A LOT of thing and so-so at most of the rest of them. Turns out I'm a lot better off. I'm interested in everything in the encyclopedia! No joke. I used to read the dang things. Now we know why I'm so psychotic....

Although I used to want to be invisible, but then it turns out that there are just some things I DON'T NEED TO KNOW!

Posted by: k8 at March 21, 2008 3:23 PM

I used to ponder this question a lot. I was so jealous of those people that were SO GOOD at the ONE THING! Me? I'm moderately good at A LOT of things. So-so at the rest of the things and only marginally bad at the things I hate doing. I think I'm better off in the end. My God, I used to read the encyclopedias my parents bought in 1973. I'm interested in everything! I think that's better for me than being good at that ONE THING.

Although I used to want to be invisible. But I don't think that's a talent. I think that's a bending of the space/time continuum and I don't know how to do that. Phhtt!

Posted by: k8 at March 21, 2008 3:26 PM

I'd like to write so that people would pay to read what I have to say... I already love writing and it's probably the thing I'm best at, so I wouldn't be losing any other "talent" I might have in exchange. The ability to communicate using the written word is a pretty big deal to me, so I'd like to be better.

Posted by: sarah at March 21, 2008 5:09 PM

I've always wanted to be able to sing, but I would never give up the talents (and limitations as well) that I have. They are what makes me me.

Posted by: Arwen at March 21, 2008 7:53 PM

I think I would like to be a better singer/songwriter, and I don't see myself as having any other talents, really, but I bet once it came down to it I do have some that I would miss. I mean, I'm not a good photographer at all, but if it meant having to give it up entirely, I'd be quite sad.
Also? Politicians are idiots. The end.

Posted by: Heather at March 21, 2008 9:30 PM

I don't think I could do it because I don't want to lose any of my current skills, such as my sweet ninja moves. It just wouldn't be worth it.

Posted by: angela at March 21, 2008 10:00 PM

holy mother of pearl -- 55 000 + comments? Yowza!

Posted by: Holly at March 21, 2008 10:11 PM

Write better than I do. Write books that are read and liked. And, of course, make money in the process.

Posted by: Anastasia Beaverhausen at March 22, 2008 11:35 AM

I think I'd rather retain all the lovely, though half-assed talents I already possess, thank you!
And, by the way... you're way too polite toward Mr. G.DubyaDipshitdoesn'tknowaWMDfromhisassoraholeinthegroundBush.

Posted by: cactus petunia at March 22, 2008 4:21 PM

Writing and photography they're basically the same talents but different tools.

Posted by: San Francisco Photos at March 22, 2008 5:41 PM

I needed to comment not on this post, but on the one a month or so back describing your desire to run red lights and stuff on the way to the hospital. I'm tired and don't have the energy to go find the original.

My wife and I had our third kid (a boy) this morning. His name is also Owen. The exciting part is that I ran 4 red lights on the way to the hospital, and I still DIDN'T make it on time. My wife delivered him while I was running red light #4 about a mile away from the hospital.

It was quite an interesting morning to say the least.

Posted by: Rex at March 22, 2008 10:29 PM

I'd chose writing, but only with a clause that I would be discovered BEFORE I croak.

Posted by: Mr Lady at March 24, 2008 1:55 PM