March 28, 2008

The Weeklies #29

The Weekly Best Idea. Taking today off. Best idea ever. (Hell, I just slept until 8:00. How cool is that?)

The Weekly Best Band Name. Fuck Buttons. Seriously. Awesome. Name. Except I have a question. Is it fuck buttons, as in buttons that make you fuck or, instead, fuck buttons like some kind of rallying cry against the use of that particular fastener?

The Weekly Best Song Name Inspired by a Toddler. Cheese On The Windowsill (Ask The Kid)

The Weekly Reads. Joseph Finder can write a good book. Sadly, Power Play isn't really a great example. Picture Die Hard in the woods. Not all that great an idea, right?

The Weekly Schadenfreude. Richie Sambora - he of Bon Jovi fame who, I would argue, actually has a better voice that Jon - got popped for a little drunk driving. Bad. He had his 10 year old daughter in the car with him. Worse...a whole lot worse. Richie Sambora? Officially in the Stupidest Musicians Of All Time Hall Of Fame.

The Weekly (Not So) Hypothetical Question. Let's say you take a day off from work. What do you do with it?

Posted by Chris at March 28, 2008 8:19 AM
Comments

Well...if it were today...it means it would be a school day for the kiddos...so I would go to the local nursery and buy flowers and plants. Then clean up/out and plant in my gardens. Drink a big glass of iced tea and wait for the kids to come home so we can play!

Posted by: Steff at March 28, 2008 8:47 AM

Typically, I'd plan to crank through as many of the home repair jobs on my honey-do list as I could. After my third cup of coffee, I'd say screw it, push the work off to Saturday, and read for the next 8 hours.

Posted by: J at March 28, 2008 9:08 AM

Probably let Mila skip pre-school, catch up on all of our TiVo'ed Hannah Montana's, clean out a few closets, then head over to my mom's house to spend some time with her.

Posted by: Mymilabean at March 28, 2008 9:12 AM

Hey, I *am* taking today off of work! :-)

I'm waiting for the dryer repairman. They gave me a window of time in which he might arrive--sometime between 8AM and 5PM. Yeah.

So, I'm NOT doing laundry. I am cleaning the house and organizing some stuff for our upcoming trip, and I'm relaxing. If it weren't raining I'd be mowing the grass for the first time this year.

Posted by: Alissa at March 28, 2008 9:14 AM

Sleeeeeeep :0)
Pol x

Posted by: Pol at March 28, 2008 9:14 AM

OH NO! A mar against the Bon Jovi band name! How terrible and he DOES NOT have a better voice (or a better body) that Jon Bon Jovi himself. Blashphemy....but I will forgive you since you are obviously and over exhausted new dad! Have a great weekend!

Posted by: Michelle at March 28, 2008 9:20 AM

OH NO! A mar against the Bon Jovi band name! How terrible and he DOES NOT have a better voice (or a better body) that Jon Bon Jovi himself. Blasphpemy....but I will forgive you since you are obviously and over exhausted new dad! Have a great weekend!

Posted by: Michelle at March 28, 2008 9:21 AM

Yeah I think it is so totally uncool to drink and drive anyway, but to have your kid and her friend in the car with you is inexcusable!

Day Off? Well, we are technically retired, but if I could do nothing for a day that's exactly what I would do. Nothing!

Posted by: Maribeth at March 28, 2008 9:26 AM

If I had today off, I would go back to bed for a while. And then I would get up and do laundry and go grocery shopping. Clearly I need to work on finding fun things to do with days off.

Posted by: bad penguin at March 28, 2008 9:30 AM

A band called Fuck Buttons?

Day off? I'd go and get coffee, sit with laptop, read blogs and then take my camera out for a spin.
Grab lunch, nap and ignore all other chores until tomorrow.
Yup, that sounds about right...

Posted by: crookedeyebrow at March 28, 2008 9:31 AM

Sleep.

Posted by: Sparkle Pants at March 28, 2008 9:35 AM

I'd say you should get as much sleep as you can on a Friday off, and then play with your kids.

And I assumed Fuck Buttons was some sort of rallying cry, like "Fuck buttons, I'm all about the Velcro."

Posted by: Fraulein N at March 28, 2008 9:37 AM

I'd do at least one thing that I wouldn't do on a weekend (because it would take away from family time). Learn a new song on the guitar, play a round of golf, edit a home movie, go have lunch with a friend or family member, etc. Good stuff. I should look into that whole "day off" thing.

Posted by: Brad at March 28, 2008 9:40 AM

Or could that name be Fuck! Buttons! - like the city was being attacked by 50 foot high radioactive fasteners? I have been talking to my 10 year old too much.
If you want a fun variant on Die Hard, try "One fine day in the middle of the night" by Chris Brookmyre. Die Hard on a Scottish oil platform converted into a tacky holiday resort. What's not to like?

Posted by: Loth at March 28, 2008 9:43 AM

Oooh, better band name: Window Cheese :)

You could even punk out the name and change it to Wyndoe Tseez.

A day off from work? Sit at home and feel guilty for not doing work, like I do every weekend! :(

Posted by: Jon (was) in Michigan at March 28, 2008 9:46 AM

Schadenfreude: I would say he is one of the stupidest people of all time. Also, Spitzer and the second prostitution ring.

Question: If it were today, I would be curled up in bed either reading or watching television. I had to come into the office today even though I was up all night with the stomach virus.

Posted by: Maria at March 28, 2008 9:49 AM

What to do on your day off? That brings to mind this dialogue:

Pinky: Gee, Brain. What are we going to do tonight?
The Brain: The same thing we do every night, Pinky. Try to take over the world.

Posted by: Allan at March 28, 2008 9:55 AM

Oh glorious day off! Where have ye gone? That's about what happens on a day off.... Nothing! Which feels oh-so-good! Reading/napping/cooking something yummy/playing/reading some more/napping some more. There really is nothing better than not having to do anything in particular!

And the Fuck Buttons. Hm. There are going to be some marketing problems when they get on MTV.

Posted by: k8 at March 28, 2008 10:01 AM

I would stay home and eat Cheese On The Windowsill, of course!

Posted by: Poppy at March 28, 2008 10:32 AM

Ah, to have the day off...that would be GLORIOUS today!

I would sleep in, have a VERY large tea and fresh bagel, purge the kiddies rooms while they are in school, head to Chapters for another LARGE tea and read some gossip mags, and pick up a book or 2, then take the dog for a long walk, have a nap... Ah, the list is endless..

Have a great day off!

Posted by: at March 28, 2008 10:46 AM

Ah, to have the day off today would be GLORIOUS!

I would sleep in, have a VERY large tea and fresh bagel, purge the kiddies rooms while they are at school, head to Chapters for another VERY large tea, read some gossip mags and pick up a couple of new books, take the dog for a very long walk, have a nap...and the list goes on...

Have a WONDERFUL day off!

Posted by: Bridget at March 28, 2008 10:48 AM

OFF? I am giddy just thinking about it....
I have had it up to *here* (can you see my hand) with the celebrity DUIs.

PS. LOL - hey Bridget -- I see you!

Posted by: Holly at March 28, 2008 10:51 AM

If I had off today, I'd be painting my basement. It's not very exciting but it would make me very happy.

Posted by: SassyPants at March 28, 2008 11:14 AM

Start a band named Fuck Levers, then design your first album cover to clarify what the name implies. Perhaps a picture of a lever coming out of the ground next to a sign that reads, 'PULL LEVER TO INITIATE FUCKING'.

That's what I'd do, I think. Or maybe just some work around the house. Yard work, maybe.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at March 28, 2008 11:34 AM

In your case you would let your wife get an hour or two to herself. In my case, read and ride.

Posted by: Dianna at March 28, 2008 11:38 AM

Regarding the band name " Fuck Buttons"--I think it's referring to an an insult, such as " damn you too you fuck button." Even if it's not, I am going to start using it as one.

Posted by: Clare at March 28, 2008 11:52 AM

You've already slept in, so number one is checked.

After that I would check all of my online peoples, maybe watch a DVD or play some WoW. Take a walk with the boy to pick up some lunch. Probably help out with The Great Apartment Cleansing and Reorganizing of 2008.

Posted by: rai at March 28, 2008 11:54 AM

Our office is moving today so we're (pretending to be) working from home.

If I didn't have to (pretending to) be working from home, I would lay in the yard with my book all day and get a tan.

Posted by: Emily at March 28, 2008 11:56 AM

well, lets see... I am off today also (well actually I am sick so it technically doesn't count as a "day off"), so I am reading blogs, posting photos on flickr, and hopefully going to accomplish something...

Posted by: Stephanie at March 28, 2008 1:38 PM

Whatever the fuck buttons I want to do with it.

Posted by: Gwen at March 28, 2008 2:32 PM

unfortunately, when i take a day off of work, its usually to work on my house. but at least then im working for myself and not someone else :)

Posted by: steph at March 28, 2008 3:03 PM

If I take a day off that I don't have specific plans for, I always end up just sort of blowing it, and then around 5pm realize that if I had been at work today, I would be on my way home now, and I'd still have one more vacation day yet to take.

I'm dangerous when left to my own devices.

Posted by: Candy at March 28, 2008 3:34 PM

If I've taken the day off with no doctor appointments previously scheduled (which is usually the only reason I take a half or whole day off), it's all about sleeping in until I wake up. Then, I putter around the house doing whatever comes to mind (read blogs... read the newspaper... play with the cats, etc.).

Occasionally, I'll go out and shop, but I have to be careful if it's a "school day" and I should be at school teaching... parents (or administrators who are out and about and maybe shouldn't be) might see me and question my reasons for a day off. (My contract is rather binding on the "reasons" for use of sick and/or personal days... if I'm found to be using the day for something other than stated in the contract, I could be reprimanded or made to take the day without pay, etc.)

Generally, a non-scheduled day off for me is spent at home in the quiet of my house... which is wonderful. Besides, I get plenty of days and time off. It's a teacher thing, you know.

Posted by: ironic1 at March 28, 2008 3:40 PM

In this order:
Sex.
Drugs.
Rock and Roll.

Or mop the floors. Either way.

Posted by: Mr Lady at March 28, 2008 4:09 PM

sleep.
sleep.
sleep.
and then sleep some.

Posted by: mamacrow at March 28, 2008 4:17 PM

Sleep, watch movies, eat out, sleep, martini's, watch movies, sleep.

There used to be a group "Butthole Surfers" and "Butt Furr Trumpets" which both seemed like really great names.

Posted by: Lisa V at March 28, 2008 5:19 PM

I would sleep in a bit. Go to my annual physical. Drop my car off at the dealership. Go to my optometrist. Have lunch with a friend. Get a pedicure. Sip iced tea and read at a coffee place. Find out the new ownership at the dealership I've been going to for years is absolutely rotten crooks with bad service. Get grocery. Go home. Something like that.

Oh yes. I had the day off too. ;-D

Posted by: oakley at March 28, 2008 8:43 PM

if i took the day off, i'd figure out a way to take a nap.

Posted by: kimblahg at March 28, 2008 11:12 PM

Had I taken the day off I would have been home alone. I would crank the stereo and dance around the house for a little while. I would play video games. Read blogs and write on my own. Watch soaps and eat chocolate. And then at 3pm I'd magically become June Cleaver when they all came home. With not a whisper of what I'd done all day.

Posted by: Jules at March 29, 2008 11:02 AM

With apologies to Mia and Owen (and really, I feel Beth might have the same response): Couldn't a fuck button refer to a clitoris?

Posted by: Vaguely Urban at March 29, 2008 1:16 PM

Not sure if it means a button someone is wearing that makes you want to fuck. Probably push button for a fuck, like pulling fingers, but minus gas.

Posted by: Dear AL at March 30, 2008 6:49 PM

Sleep an hour later. Get all of the stuff done that I normally have to put off until after work. Read while I eat lunch.

Posted by: Anastasia Beaverhausen at March 30, 2008 9:52 PM

Bryan and our best friend Jeff come up with awesome band names on a weekly basis.

You win. Fuck Buttons is the awesomest.

Posted by: Aimee Greeblemonkey at March 30, 2008 11:49 PM