March 13, 2008

Coffee, Smiles and an Arch Nemesis

There a slight chance I drink a little too much coffee. Okay, so, the chance may be more than just slight.

Despite this, I'm exhausted. Seriously exhausted. Work is pretty much kicking my ass and my ass is too tired to fight back. Yet I can claim a minor victory this week.

While I try to avoid talking about work, I'm happy to report that my arch nemesis upped and quit. Of course, this would carry more weight and be much more dramatic if I had actually kept you in the loop on that whole arch nemesis thing to begin with. But, like I said, I don't really talk about work all that much. Suffice it to say he played Lex Luthor to my Superman, Doctor Octopus to my Spider-Man, termite to my Bob Vila. You get the drift. After trying to single-handedly ruin my reputation as an all-around good guy which no one fell for, ding dong the asshole's gone.

So, that was good...but not as good as coming down off my caffeine high and heading home to see my smiling kids.

Who is your arch nemesis?

Posted by Chris at March 13, 2008 7:13 AM
Comments

At the moment, my arch nemesis is exhaustion. It's kicking my ass. As of yesterday, I worked 40 hours this week. I'm feeling achy, have a headache, feel nauseous, slightly congested, and lightheaded. Either I'm getting sick again or I've hit my limit. Perhaps, I need more caffeine. :-)

Congrats on being nemesis free.

Posted by: Maria at March 13, 2008 7:21 AM

Please tell me they are not all todays coffees and it's not even 8 in the morning. That would be quite a comedown!

Posted by: margo at March 13, 2008 7:57 AM

My arch nemesis was a co-worker. She quit without notice about 2 years ago. It was, without a doubt, the best day ever in my work life. She did everything in her power to make me look bad--fortunately, everyone could see through her. I am so glad she's gone, and I'm glad yours is gone, too. It's a huge weight lifted, that's for sure!

Posted by: Alissa at March 13, 2008 7:59 AM

Cinnamon buns.

Posted by: mamatulip at March 13, 2008 8:04 AM

there's also a pretty decent chance your cleaning people need to come more often to empty your trash

Posted by: ktjrdn at March 13, 2008 8:05 AM

I don't think that I *have* an arch nemesis. Which makes me sad. I have plenty of banes of my existences, but no arch nemesis.

I'll put it on my to-do list.

Congrats, anyhow. :)

Posted by: caleal at March 13, 2008 8:05 AM

Okay. You have to excuse my last comment. It's early, I've only had one coffee and I was up most of the night with a puking kid. I completely misunderstood your question.

But I love cinnamon buns, kind of the way you seem to love coffee. ;)

My arch nemesis...a former boss of mine, who set out to make my life a living hell and almost succeeded.

Posted by: mamatulip at March 13, 2008 8:06 AM

The president and this freaky family at our church. Their son pulled a bomb threat at the middle school where both of our boys are enrolled. My kid unfortunately found the note. Kid who pulled bombthreat blames my kid for getting him in trouble. Mother thinks her kid does no wrong.

Posted by: ocdcontrolfreak at March 13, 2008 8:06 AM

Newman!

Posted by: william at March 13, 2008 8:08 AM

Very cool he's gone.
My arch nemesis would probably be tequila. It kicks my ass. Lures me in with promises of fun in the sun, happy times. But always ends up bad. Very bad.

Posted by: Greta at March 13, 2008 8:15 AM

Oh well that is news to celebrate! Perhaps, with a coffee?

My arch nemesis is the refusal to nap. Which is difficult since it's extremely impossible to reason with the refusal to nap.

Posted by: chatty cricket at March 13, 2008 8:19 AM

I don't have a single arch nemesis, but a group of people I like to call "The people who think it is okay to user company assets for personal use". This groups favorite activity is to try and watch tv online, listen to the radio online, and use company email accounts as a conduit to send out chain letters.

Posted by: Josh at March 13, 2008 8:22 AM

My arch nemesis is night time. How is it that the time my head spends cocooned on my pillow goes faster than the speed of light while the daylight hours sometimes drag on for weeks?

Posted by: Shelly at March 13, 2008 8:26 AM

currently it is food!

Posted by: linda at March 13, 2008 8:29 AM

Did you really drink SEVEN cups of starbucks coffee in one day? SEVEN? You are a man of steel if you can do that. My nerves would be shot to hell.

My nemesis right now is transition to a healthier me. I know it is the right thing to be doing for many reasons but it takes so much more work that just slothing along in life - LOL!

Posted by: Michelle at March 13, 2008 8:55 AM

My boss is my arch nemesis. Our VP wants me to move into sales (from training) but my boss won't hand over the leads he has.

Fortunately, everyone in our company sees the truth. In fact, the founder has given him the middle name of Fucking. It's pretty funny.

Posted by: Stella at March 13, 2008 9:01 AM

At this point, I'd have to say my project manager, who was supposed to drive me to our off site meeting, and apparently left without me. I say apparently, because he was supposed to be here an hour and a half ago to get me, and I've had absolutely no word. No email, no phone call, no note on my desk, nothing.

Nor, I might add, have I had lunch, since I'm afraid to leave my desk lest he show up and I end up looking like the unorganized jackass.

I fully expect to get chewed out tomorrow for not showing to the meeting even though is 10 miles from here and I...you know...don't have a car. Because somehow his lack of organization always ends up being the fault of those of us unfortunate enough to work for him.

Posted by: Kerry at March 13, 2008 9:04 AM

Dude, I know that feeling. About a week after coming home and explaining to Jen how much I hated this one guy, he quit. I was ecstatic. It was the best thing that ever happened to me at that company. He was the worst thing about my day, every day. And then he was gone, and someone very nice and quiet replaced him. All kinds of awesome.

Currently, I have a Fairy Dust Manager. He loves to turn 2 month projects into two week timelines with his magic fairy dust. He may very well be the death of me.

Congrats. I bet you ran home and told Beth and she feigned excitement for you. :)

Posted by: Brad at March 13, 2008 9:11 AM

Oh, and I know that you don't want to hear this... but coffee doesn't actually make you less tired. It just gives you a temporary high, and a bigger low later. I'm betting that a banana and a Gatorade would be better. I won't even suggest jogging, because I like you.

Posted by: Brad at March 13, 2008 9:13 AM

My arch-nemesis works in the office next to me. She is a former beauty queen. And she is all about the shameless self-promotion (said the blogger), wears inappropriate clothing to work. (Think make a stripper blush. ) Worst of all. She's dumb. And they just promoted her and gave her massive raise.

Makes me crazy all this.

Posted by: Nat at March 13, 2008 9:20 AM

I would be willing to pay a large sum of money for someone to bring me caffeine right now. Large. Because sadly, work is kicking my ass, and I'm exhausted, and my trash can does not look like yours.

I have a secret nemesis. It is the person who turned me in to HR for writing about work on my blog/blogging during business hours/whatever the fuck the problem was. It is weird, because I respect this person's professional achievements (they do a lot and do it well), but do not care for their management, interpersonal or communications style. You know, what with the trying to get me in trouble and potentially hurting my career rather than just talking to me. Of course, the "thing" between us has never been acknowleged, but there are occasional flare ups where I think, "oh yes, that's why I have a problem with you."

Posted by: bad penguin at March 13, 2008 9:28 AM

Wal*Mart...

I hate Wal*Mart with every cell in my body and the thought of going in there makes me break into a sweat!

BTW, did you know that the "book" section in Wal*Wart consists of 87.5% magazines, 13% romance novels, and .5% anything I would ever think about possibly maybe reading on a long boring plane ride! HATE! WALMART!

Posted by: Mymilabean at March 13, 2008 9:31 AM

Honestly, the internet... it regularly wins out over doing real live actual work.

Posted by: Christina at March 13, 2008 9:32 AM

I have to agree that mine is sleep deprivation. My kid is going through a rough time with the sleeping thing and I am paying for it. I love him to death but if he could sleep longer than an hour without waking himself up, that'd be fabulous!

Posted by: claire at March 13, 2008 9:33 AM

For right now, my student loan company. However, even though it crushes my ability to have fun and buy meat and veggies in the same paycheck, I know it's not forever.

Cheers,
JJ

Posted by: JJ at March 13, 2008 9:44 AM

I will refrain from naming names or providing descriptions - but suffice it to say that my arch nemisis writes long, drawn out emails to others in the company noting minor mistakes. Yesterday I was thrilled to be cc'ed on a response to said nemisis which read - "Alert the media - I made a mistake." And I thought to myself - not THAT is how you handle that person:)

Posted by: Amy at March 13, 2008 9:49 AM

My boyfriend's ex-girlfriend. They haven't dated for over a year, and she sought out my ex-boyfriend and commenced dating him last month. Of course it seems coincidental...if you discount the fact that she told everyone in earshot that she did it to get back at us. So there ya go. A senior in college having 6th grade drama!

Posted by: Stephanie at March 13, 2008 10:05 AM

Holy cow. I hope you didn't drink all of those in one day. You could fund both kids' college educations with 7 Starbucks a day.

Posted by: Rex at March 13, 2008 10:07 AM

there's also a slight chance your garbage doesn't get emptied enough! ;) ahahaha

Posted by: ali at March 13, 2008 10:15 AM

My arch nemesis is this never ending cold. Or insomnia.
I'm glad you got rid of yours!

Posted by: Heather at March 13, 2008 10:24 AM

A job I don't care for one bit is currently my arch nemesis. Totally the opposite of fun.

Posted by: patricia at March 13, 2008 10:35 AM

holy crap, 7 starbucks in one day! more expensive than a drug habit! haha. i used to drink a ton of coffee and then one day i got my usual coffee and took a few sips and got a pain in my stomach so bad that to this day i can barely stand to drink it anymore. that was 8 years ago. it was like my insides revolted against it. oh well.

Posted by: madmom at March 13, 2008 10:36 AM

my arch nemesis is currently the strange loud creature who can't sleep more than 40 mins at night into whom my gorgeus 6mthold daughter occasionally turns.

Posted by: mamacrow at March 13, 2008 10:50 AM

My husband's ex wife is a pretty big pain in my ass, but I avoid her so she's probably not so much an arch-nemesis.

The asshat who stole my job while I was on maternity leave, though... Yeah. He's probably the closest I have to an arch-nemesis. Punk.

And, I haven't read through all your comments, and forgive my little tree hugging lecture, but, you really should get a reusable mug for all your coffee drinking. I love the hell out of my Starbucks too - but hate all the paper I'm using so I have a few travel mugs that I use for my Starbucks run (though, one at a time - I think I drink a bit less coffee than you do!). Plus, you get a little itty bitty discount for bringing your own cup.

Posted by: Sarah at March 13, 2008 10:51 AM

That's like $30 of coffee right there in the bin! *making the Fist of Rock*

Currently, my archnemesises (nemesi?) are the cupcakes I made a few days ago. There are four left and I plan on devouring them for dinner tonight.

Posted by: GreenCanary at March 13, 2008 10:51 AM

Gravity.

Posted by: Leilani at March 13, 2008 11:11 AM

You know if you're buying that many cups, you might want to invest in a real mug instead of littering our planet. Email me your address and I would totally send you one. (Seriously. Think I might have just the right thing for you.) ;-D

My arch nemesiseses are Couch Sloth and Ninja Grief. Couch Sloth has won for the past month aided by the sidekicks Damn Flu and Dizzying Medication. Ninja Grief just sneaked up on me and most times I have no way to defend myself.

Posted by: oakley at March 13, 2008 11:16 AM

Hah! My arch nemesis at work got the boot this week too! He basically spent the whole time he was with my company trying to sabotage my career and that of many others and somehow thought he was invincible. There were high fives all round. Oh happy day :)

Posted by: ponthei at March 13, 2008 11:41 AM

Sadly, I have a history of being my own arch nemesis, which has both drawbacks and advantages. You know what the plans are, so you at least have a fighting chance of foiling them. Unfortunately, your nemesis also knows how you're planning to foil said plans. It's a roller coaster of fun where there are few dull moments. Sadly, neither of us can quit because we're both too caught up in our little game, but at least we've agreed to keep the epic fight scenes on the top of water towers to a minimum. We feel that such hijinx would be to no one's advantage. We're very civilized like that.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at March 13, 2008 11:58 AM

At the moment it is Daylight Savings Time and Windows2000, which apparently do not play nice together. But usually it's the person whose office I can see into from mine, who is, at least twice a week the subject of an "Oh my damn, at work today ........"

Posted by: Judy at March 13, 2008 12:36 PM

I have no arch nemeses.

Too much caffeine makes you tired.

If I didn't have an iced venti mocha with whip sitting next to me right now I'd be VERY jealous of your waste basket.

YAY to quitted nemesis. No hassling the hoffCactus.

(Oh, whatever. ;)

Posted by: Poppy at March 13, 2008 1:07 PM

Sleep. Before when I was working it was a co-worker/supervisor. But she can bite me because I had a baby and she didn't so nyeah.

And really? All that coffee? Damn.

Posted by: samantha jo campen at March 13, 2008 1:51 PM

I'd have to say that my arch nemesis is work - I used to love it, but recently I'm hating it. Which makes every day kind of crappy.

I'd also have to say that you drink way too much coffee, though it makes me feel better about my diet coke habit.

Posted by: Mandy Lou at March 13, 2008 2:00 PM

Best. Picture. EVER.

My arch nemesis lately has been sleep. I cannot sleep. Last night I read an entire book and did a week's worth of my Bible study and didn't sleep. Not cool - I have an exam tomorrow!

Posted by: Evi at March 13, 2008 2:39 PM

Once upon a time there was a girl in high school who I competed with on nearly every level. We were in the same events, we dated similar guys and we even wore the same dress to freshman year Homecoming (Can you believe it?!). Anyway, she's a doctor now and I'm a secretary...but I have bigger boobs, so I definitely win, right?

Posted by: Arwen at March 13, 2008 3:25 PM

I had a work arch nemesis once, too. She was a waste of air. I loathed her so much. Like, more than I hated Titanic.

Anyway, I eventually had to quit my job because of said Douche Bag and to retaliate? My passive aggressive butt bought a tiny little wirey runt rat dog and named it after her newborn.

It felt great.

Posted by: Mr Lady at March 13, 2008 6:34 PM

When I was teaching school it was the prinicpal. God! How I hated that woman-hating/politically opportunistic bastard! Now? My arch nemesis might be the cosmic powers which prevent me from getting a full-time writing gig. Sure...I'm doing it part-time, but I long for the full-time thing. So that I can be in an office just like you (without the coffee)...with a desk that is--hopefully-next to Jim Halpert's.

Posted by: Anastasia Beaverhausen at March 13, 2008 7:47 PM

a girl from my highschool - i haven't seen her for around 10 years but everytime i think of her my shackles stand on end...or whatever that prase was. Anyway, we went head to head on many drama projects at school - she was too 'sophisticated' to take a risk, and I was too 'unrooley' to ever be a professional. I hear she turned into a stalking psycopath.

Posted by: Allycat at March 14, 2008 5:51 AM

This girl I used to go to school with. She called herself "Ashley" but her real name was Kristen. She was such a tramp. I wonder what she's doing now.

Posted by: Candy at March 14, 2008 2:35 PM

How often do they dump your trash can at work? That's not just from ONE DAY, is it?

Posted by: Zandria at March 15, 2008 6:20 PM

Various people in the world receive the credit loans in various banks, because it's comfortable.

Posted by: MONTOYAMARYANNE25 at July 13, 2010 9:45 PM