April 30, 2008

Sweat Shop

Imagine if you will a hot Houston summer - a place that would make a fat man's armpits look like an arid paradise fit for a picnic. One hot Houston summer when I was 14 I worked as a paid apprentice to a hat maker. The hat shop in which I worked was one of the oldest family hat businesses in the state and had existed in the same location since it was founded generations before. What used to be an old barn in the middle of nowhere became a store fully engulfed on all sides by urban sprawl. And while modern conveniences like air conditioning had been embraced sometime in the second half of the 20th century, the workshop in which all the hats were crafted remained little more than a barn. It was hot. And creepy. And hot. Did I mention hot? The fact that some of the machinery was as old as the building and actually steam-driven didn't help. The only thing worse than working in the workshop making hats was dealing with the old dudes coming in looking for new hats. These guys invariably had on hats of their own and had baked for some unknown period of time in their black Caddies before coming in. My job? Measure their heads. Sweaty heads. Not good.

I've long been a devotee of Dirty Jobs. And while I realize that this job is far from the dirtiest in the world, it's certainly the worst I've ever known. I mean, measuring fat guys' sweating heads and sweating my own ass off in a creepy barn making hats? That ain't good...

...but I'm sure you can come up with worse. What's the worst job you've ever had? What's the worst thing you've gotten paid to do? What's the worst job you can imagine? Come on, give it a whirl. Maybe it'll make you feel better about what you're doing now.

BTW, I probably shouldn't look for a second career as a princess, right?

Posted by Chris at April 30, 2008 5:58 AM
Comments

Well, it's not the worst job in the world but it was the worst one I have had (so far). I worked in the "gifts" department of a tea and spice factory. What that meant was that I had to schlep huge palates of supplies (the days I was packing jellies were the worst!!) to my station in the non-air-conditioned warehouse (this was for July and August in SE Pennsylvania) and pack up boxes of small samples of teas, spices, jellies, candies, etc. to be shrink-wrapped in plastic and shipped off to specialty stores. Jellies were the heaviest (and we weren't allowed to get help from the warehouse boys), working the shrink-wrap machine was awful because it was all manual and I always got pieces of hot melted plastic in my hair and eyes, but fighting the permanent employees for a chance to work on the candy machine was worth your life. That was the cake job and envied by everyone. But these old women had their stations and they were not about to give it up without a fight! They were tough old broads!! You did not want to cross them.

P.S. I swear when I die and they open me up for the autopsy, I'm going to smell like orange spice tea. That odor permeated EVERYTHING!!

Posted by: Empress at April 30, 2008 6:32 AM

The worst job I ever had was washing dishes at a summer camp. All other job responsibilities were fine... minus the actual washing-the-dishes part. It was hot and wet and smelly and *disgusting*
I don't know about the princess thing; you're rocking that tiara.

Posted by: Kate at April 30, 2008 7:26 AM

When I was in college in Oklahoma, I worked at the school baseball stadium during the spring and summer months. Aside from cleaning up all the garbage that the baseball fanatics just threw on the ground at their seats, we also had to clean out the restrooms. One job that we would draw straws not to do was to clean the "cookie jar." The cookie jar was the stainless steel box used for tampon disposal located in every women's bathroom stall. Fortunately for me, I only drew the short straw a handful (no pun intended) of times. The worst part of the job was in the July/August heat when the local junior colleges held their championships at our stadium and heat would "cook' the cookies. Worst job I ever had to do.

Posted by: harrylips at April 30, 2008 7:31 AM

You make a pretty princess!!

I haven't really had many jobs... Just my office assistant job, and a few odds and ends jobs here and there... But if I had to pick the dirtyist? Probably the one time I worked the outback stand at Ravens Stadium. Holy hell did that place get greasy. And holy hell did I stink afterwards. Not to mention all the beer spillage. My friends boyfriend landed flat on his back, too, because the floor was so greasy. But I know that's not bad compared to some people.

Posted by: secha at April 30, 2008 7:48 AM

I worked in a steel manufacturing facility one summer, bolting 2x6's to welded steel frames to make racks for automotive assembly lines. VERY hot in there.

I interned for 2 veterinarians, and assisted with many surgeries and in-the-field procedures. Dirty sometimes, mainly just icky.

I worked in the Necropsy section of the vet. diagnostic lab where I work now. My job? Prepare deceased animals for examination by a pathologist. Which means, I cut open dead cows, horses, pigs, dogs, etc... and took samples of their organs for diagnostic purposes. Then I cleaned up the remains after the pathologist was finished. Icky, dirty, smelly, and extremely interesting.

Posted by: Alissa at April 30, 2008 8:06 AM

Worst job ever?

Cook in a Bob's Big boy while in High school, and I wonder why I don't eat out much anymore.

And if there was a princess in the Matrix, - so totally you.

Posted by: Kellie at April 30, 2008 8:06 AM

I had to wipe down tables and take out the trash at a Grandy's restaurant - the worst part I had to wear chocolate brown polyester pants! gagorama!!

Posted by: Steff at April 30, 2008 8:10 AM

You have a Rufus Wainwright vibe happening in that picture.

I used to work as a clerk in Labour and Delivery at a local hospital. Now it wasn't all that dirty, but you know the conversation was from time to time and you always run the risk of coming face to face with a placenta. (I liked the job apart from the blood, guts and screaming AND I never ever forgot to take my birth control.)

Posted by: Nat at April 30, 2008 8:17 AM

Awwww, Sweetie! You make a totally cool Princess!

Posted by: Maribeth at April 30, 2008 8:22 AM

Worst jobs, huh? Let's see - I worked in the dishroom of a hospital cafeteria doing the 6 am - 2:30 pm shift after high school graduation; I was also a nursing assistant in the same hospital working in the OR (cleaning up after operations, transporting patients, holding extremities for surgical prep); I also worked on the floors as a nursing assistant (weighing patients, inserting catheters, surgical preps, performing chest compressions for extended periods of time, transporting deceased to morgue); I was in the army for 8 years ('nuff said about that I think - one word: latrines); I was a short-order cook; I worked in the shoe department of a Marshall's (go ahead, make your best Al Bundy joke); and I sold Christmas trees for 12+ hours/day in all sorts of weather.

Makes me very happy to do what I do now.

Posted by: mr. big dubya at April 30, 2008 8:34 AM

When I was 15 my dad got me a job on a large farm. I was put on a truck with 6 guys and dropped off in a field with a hoe. I was expected to walk the endless mile-long rows and cut weeds out of the crop. I got fired my first day.

Posted by: Gwen at April 30, 2008 8:42 AM

You certainly have the 5 o'clock shadow that every princess needs.

The worst were the first and second jobs. The first was working in this small bakery owned by a couple of hilarious old jewish dudes. The bad part was the amount of grease and ick involved in the back of a bakery. So, Saturday morning you get there at 5 AM, prep everything, spend 6 hours baking, frying, and glazing your ass off (metaphorically speaking), then the next 6 hours cleaning and scraping and holy crap was it nasty.

The second was Burger King and just trust me on the fact that ... well, just say no to Burger King every chance you get. Granted, your being a vegetarian makes it easier, but still.

God, we never really recover from high school, whether it's the jobs or the social crap.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at April 30, 2008 8:43 AM

You'd make a damn fine princess. :-)

I haven't had many jobs. None that would be classified as dirty. I'm boring.

Babysitter for a boy. Worst part of this job was the summer and fall the boy, then age 8, decided he was going to run away. He would run away several times a week. Between trying to find the runaway and trying to out run his groping, horny grandpa it was no fun.

Cashier for a supermarket. Worst aspects of that job were that the late night, hungry shoppers were usually nasty SOBs and being on the register closest to the door in winter.

Cashier and candy counter girl at a 5¢ and 10¢.

Law firm receptionist.

Law firm administrative assistant. Worst parts of that job were being responsible for tracking everyone's lateness (I have 0 tolerance for chronic lateness) and being responsible for the telephone system (I am not fond of the telephone).

Legal marketing professional. Current position.

Worst jobs I can imagine would involve adult human waste, blood and guts, dead people/animals, and/or be located in a cold climate.

Posted by: Maria at April 30, 2008 8:49 AM

I've had two truly awful jobs so far: Ticketmaster (we shared headsets! That was gross!) and the USDA. Yep. I worked in peanut fields and greenhouses caring for peanuts. I had to ho out all the weeds in the fields. In the dead of summer. In southern Oklahoma. Working for three or four hours in 110+ degree heat was not uncommon. It was awful.

Worst job I can imagine? When I worked at Ticketmaster, I had to drive by a plant that rendered dead animals. Thinking of that smell makes me sick NOW. So I think that'd be the worst job. Ugh.

Posted by: Sparkle Pants at April 30, 2008 9:03 AM

When I worked in a small neighborhood pharmacy, one of my duties was checking the glue traps for captured mice. Good times.

Posted by: Fraulein N at April 30, 2008 9:08 AM

LOL that picture wasn't in the feed! Personally, I think you'd make a lovely princess :P
Yesterday I had to clean a bathroom in a portable that had stains on the walls that wouldn't come off. That was pretty nasty. Kids are gross, I tell ya. (And teaching the boys the finer points of aim is their parents' job, dangit!)

Posted by: Heather at April 30, 2008 9:09 AM

All my jobs have been pretty good. No grossness involved. If I had to choose, I'd say bussing tables at Big Boy when I was 14 sucked. But I had to comment and say that that photo of you reminds me of Agent Smith from The Matrix. Not that you look like him, it's just the glasses and the way your mouth is and how your eyebrows are all squinchy. Except, you know, without the tiara. Because I don't remember him sporting one of those. Clearly he's not cool like you.

Posted by: js at April 30, 2008 9:10 AM

I think all jobs suck at some point, but I think I've personally managed to find the worst possible scenario at most of the ones I've had...

Rave - A clothing store at the mall. I used to have to help gigantic fat women squeeze their asses into size 2 stretchy jean outfits. But that was easy compared to cleaning out the fitting rooms. The shit I found would make you gag. I once had to removed a USED, BLOODY pad that someone stuck to the wall.

Lover's Lane - An adult store. I had to makes sales pitches on which vibrator would fit into said customers creepy fetishes. All in all not a bad job, the people you come accross in those stores at least give you good stories. The worst part was the phone calls we got from the shoe fetish freaks, asking us to describe every pair in detail as they breathed heavily into the phone.

Tanning Salon - I had to clean multiple bodily fulids off of the beds and yes, even the stand-ups. Eww.

Mr. Bulkey - Candy store. Yes, I was the retard that stood outside the store with a ginormous boquet of balloons while everyone that passed shot out the ever clever, "Don't fly away now!"

Hair Salon - Ok, you'd think this would be the easiest and less disgusting job I could have had. Oh, you are so wrong. The things you find in a salon are by far the nastiest. Maybe it's my managerial status that brings me such gems, but a few months ago we had a problem with the plumbing in our bathroom. It was a Saturday and we were swamped. This did not stop the toilets from deciding it was time to LAUNCH shit and urine straight up from all 3 toilets in the womens room, and the one toilet and 2 urinals in the mens room. Being that the owner of the salon is also a stylist, and he was extremely busy, and apparantly wanted to torture me, guess who got the job of cleaning those bathrooms. Now, being that it's an upscale salon I usually get quite dressed up for work. On this particular day, which I now refer to as Black Saturday, I was wearing none other that a short skirt with very high heels. But, being the professional that I am, I gritted my teeth and headed to the bathrooms with my mop. I opened the womens room to find about 2 inches of standing water, urine, shit and toilet paper which had been spewed on every surface imaginable. I proceeded to gag, close the door and march back into the salon and demand....gloves. Yes, I sucked it up and cleaned them. I had to remove my shoes, and rubberband shower caps over my feet so I could play slip and slide in the shit. I kid you not, there were actual shit LOGS floating down the rivers between the toilets that I had to literally scoop up in my double gloved hands and deposit in the trash. Needless to say, I was scarred for life. I cannot even go into a smelly bathroom anymore without the gag reflex propelling me right back out. That was, by far, the worst work experience of my life....next to the time a girl came in to get a perm and unbeknownst to the sylist incubated the lice living on her head.

Posted by: Naughty at April 30, 2008 9:26 AM

Worse job ever is mowing my own yard. Still hate it. Second was a job replacing acoustic tile in a building int he middles of summer. There was fiberglass insulation so we had to wear jeans and long sleeve shirts. Hot, dusty, sticky and hard work holding your hands over your head. That or taking a roof off of a house in the middle of summer.

I'm glad I got my degree. AC is nice.

~Jef

Posted by: edge at April 30, 2008 9:34 AM

Mike Rowe is sooooooo my imaginary boyfriend. I Tivo Dirty Jobs and it's pretty much the only think I watch.

All of my jobs have been pretty clean. When there was a major flood in Macon I went down there for a week and helped people clean out their homes. That was NAS-TY and it stunk!

Posted by: Mymilabean at April 30, 2008 9:41 AM

First, I've been looking for a pair of glasses like that. Hm. I already have several tiaras, thank-you.

Worst job? Well, although I liked it most of the time, I spent one summer mowing 20 yards with my legs covered, millimeter by millimeter in poison ivy boils. I nearly went insane. It was maddening.

I think the worst job ever would be cleaning out and repairing portable toilets.

Posted by: Brad at April 30, 2008 9:46 AM

I’m an aircraft mechanic by trade and before I got my current cushy office job I was required to fix anything that broke on the jet including the crapper.

On one particular model, the toilet was basically just a big tank with blue water kind of like the toilet in a camper. To drain it, you hooked a servicing truck up to the outside of the plane, pulled a handle which opened a flapper valve in the bottom of the toilet tank and out every came through a drain hose and into the truck. If everything is working right, it is really a clean operation. No fuss, no muss.

Well, you know that little sign in the airplane bathroom that says not to put any foreign objects into the toilet? People don’t follow that and whatever they put in there invariably gets caught under the flapper valve causing the tank to slowly leak. When I first started out, guess whose job it was to put a garbage bag over his arm, reach into the tank and pull out whatever it was caught in there. This guy. And nine times out of ten it was a used tampon.

Posted by: Bob at April 30, 2008 10:02 AM

Worst jobs were in high school (because what teenager likes to work?) - first was at McDonalds because the manager hated me and I hate to work Sunday mornings hungover and on 3 hours sleep and I would either forget to turn on the danish warmer or make coffee!
Second worst was working the strawberry fields in the spring bent in half putting the little strawberry plant runners in line. The bonus of that job was working when the picking was going on and directing people to rows while having a sweatshirt pocket full of strawberries to munch on. The down side is, I overdosed on strawberries and don't really like them anymore!
Worst job imaginable would be that previous posters who works in the Necropsy Dept opening up animals. EWWWW!

Posted by: NancyB at April 30, 2008 10:08 AM

I too got to measure sweaty men's heads - I was a football team manager in college and the guys had to measured to make sure the helmets fit. The grossest part was washing the uniforms after a game....blech. I asked for gloves.

Nice tiara!

Posted by: Sue R at April 30, 2008 10:11 AM

I can't really complain - I've not had any dirty or awful jobs. I suppose the dirtiest and the hardest was the summer I worked as a housekeeper at a retreat centre, but really, while the work was dirty, I got to spend lunches by the pool (as long as a group wasn't in at the time) and I spent a good amount of time outside on beautiful grounds, and the boy I had a huge crush on that summer was living at the retreat centre running their kid's day camp. So I got to see him every day. The benefits outweighed the negatives even in that job...

Posted by: suze at April 30, 2008 10:17 AM

You look like a wussier version of Mr. Smith. ;)

I once worked in an ice cream booth at a backwoods flea market. Eight year olds would spit chew on my sign. No lie. In the mornings I would have to scrape the ice and frogs out of the cooler. Yes, frogs. I live in Florida. Apparently, they would crawl in there during the night and die. It was pretty disgusting.

Posted by: Tink at April 30, 2008 10:46 AM

I'm with Suze. I haven't had a dirty job. The closest thing is when I spent one month training at a large printing company. The owner (a friend of a the family) wants me to learn everything from the bottom up, starting from working on the factory floor. I had to take Benedryl everyday and pretty much sleepwalking through the job because I was allergic to something at the factory, probably paper dust. The job isn't bad. The daily Benedryl haze was bad.

All the nose blowing I had to do was gross. LOL.

Posted by: oakley at April 30, 2008 10:54 AM

well I think we understand your propensity for putting things on your head now.

Posted by: kalisa at April 30, 2008 11:05 AM

Crap almighty! You look like a glammed up Smith from The Matrix.

Posted by: GreenCanary at April 30, 2008 11:08 AM

Not sure what sort of market there is for Princess Neo, actually.

Posted by: Mr Lady at April 30, 2008 11:09 AM

YOU LOOK LIKE AGENT SMITH WITH A TIARA.

Hawt.

hehehehehehehe

Posted by: Poppy at April 30, 2008 11:18 AM

I haven't really had a bad job (just an awful boss once).

BUT... I've been wanting to ask you this, and since you brought up the hats, it seems a good opportunity. I started writing a hat-related limerick once and could not figure out anything after the first two lines. Maybe you can help. Here's what I have:

Once there was a haberdasher
Who bought his wife a potato masher...

Posted by: Sandy at April 30, 2008 11:29 AM

Worst job I have had, cleaning pig crap out of a stall that hadn't been cleaned in a year! The vet was apparently too lazy to do it himself so he hired a kid to do it for him. It was deep and it was smelly and it was disgusting.

There is a job that I would never want though. To be the person who works on the antennas on top of skyscrapers. Holy crap, I have a picture of one and I would never ever want that job!

Posted by: Jeff A at April 30, 2008 11:33 AM

It's not the worst job, I know, but I used to sell shoes. I know! That doesn't sound bad at all! Except that the majority of my customers were loggers who would come in to buy new boots after a full day of work. If there's anything worse than hot, sweaty heads, it has to be hot, sweaty man feet. PLUS it was a shoe store that still believed in full service. We took their shoes off and put the new shoes on for them. I came close to vomiting several times. Then there were the customers who were disabled and old and actually had vomited/peed/shat on their shoes... No, that's not a joke.

Posted by: heels at April 30, 2008 11:41 AM

It doesn't sound bad, but I worked the holiday season at Hickory Farms when I was 16. My job was to hand out cheese samples and work the "cheddy-brat" machine, basically selling expensive hotdogs to the mall crowd. I was already a vegetarian and touching the hot dogs and cleaning the machine was gross, but the worst part was asking guys if they'd like a bun with their sausage. They leered, they jeered, and they ALWAYS wanted my buns with their sausage. Ick. I quit on Christmas Eve.

Posted by: rebeccaeee at April 30, 2008 11:53 AM

You are totally working the princess look - if Terminator or Matrix had princesses that is. lol

I have yet to have a truly dirty/awful job but as far as job I hated the most - my current one! I'm retail wench and the management is a joke and don't get me started on the hours, or lack there of. *le sigh...* what is a girl to do? lol

Posted by: Kris at April 30, 2008 11:55 AM

It is very...Terminator Princess. Which actually is kind of a cool princess to be.

My worst job was not very bad. For three summers in high school I worked in an ice cream shop. It wasn't air conditioned and the ice cream freezers continually blew out hot air so sometimes it got veeeery warm in there. So I spent my summers sweaty and red-faced with sticky melted ice cream all over my arms from scooping down into the big containers. Not pleasant, but not Mike Rowe material either.

Posted by: Alias Mother at April 30, 2008 12:21 PM

I spent one summer cleaning schools with some other college kids and the F/T janitorial crew. I learned a lot about removing wads of gum from the bottom of desks.

Another summer, I worked on the assembly line at a fish drug and aquarium supply factory. It was bad when the aloe-based tank conditioner bottles tipped over, but the worst job there was getting the fish drugs into the blister packs. If you weren't careful, the sealing machine could burn you, and the dust from the fish meds would give you the runs. (And then there were the regular factory workers! The 40-year old Star Trek/Elvira fan that really did live in his parents' basement, and the reptilian Harley chick asking me how many kids I had at 20!)

Re: the tiara... "The only thing that separates us from the animals is our ability to accessorize." (Steel Magnolias)

Posted by: PirateBikeGrl at April 30, 2008 12:42 PM

You're a pretty bad-ass princess, my friend.

As far as the jobs go, I haven't had a really terrible one. I think the worst was being a waitress, just because it was so hectic and you're always surrounded by food you can't eat and liquor you can't drink, and it was at a country club so everyone was snotty and weird and would order odd shit like scotch and milk and it would make me vomit.

Posted by: Caleal at April 30, 2008 12:48 PM

Even my kids love Dirty Jobs. Great show. And as far as the tiara goes, don't quit your day job just yet.

Worst job? Well, the job itself wasn't all bad, but I worked in a pet food plant. Smell - horrible, you were constantly stepping on stuff that I never wanted to think about - then to see the parts that go into pet food? Ugh. Amazing the animal parts that contain protein. Gross.

Posted by: Sharon at April 30, 2008 12:52 PM

i think i shared enough yesterday...

Posted by: Holly at April 30, 2008 1:38 PM

that job sounds disgusting. but good story disgusting. five days out of the week i'm a stay-at-home mom, but to make that possible i work a short room service shift on sunday mornings at a nice hotel downtown. the food is good, and i try to make my trays look like the most beautiful trays of food you've ever seen. that's not the disgusting part. the disgusting part is when i get up to the room and old fat guys open up the door with their leopard print robes half open and i have to step over the rose petals on the floor to set their tray down for them. and then at some point i have to go pick up the trays when they are finished and inevitably they are messy and spilled and stinky with caked on food and i have more than once seen a pube and/or a used kleenex on the tray that i have to disassemble for the dishwasher. luckily the money is great. that's the only thing that gets me in my car to leave my baby and go to work.

Posted by: kati at April 30, 2008 1:59 PM

I don't know if this the worst job in the world (I did work as a movie theater janitor in college, and that was nasty), but the hardest job I ever had was working as a corn detassler in high school. In the midwest, where corn outnumbers people like a million to one, farmers would hire high school kids to come to the fields in early summer and strip the tassels from the corn so it couldn't self pollinate. It was wet, muddy, and hot since you had to wear long sleeves and pants. Not so bad in the morning, but in mid afternoon when it hits 90+ degrees, its pretty miserable. Shorts would just get your legs chewed up as you walked through the rows.

Posted by: J at April 30, 2008 3:00 PM

There aren't many men who can pull off that tiara look. That's all I'm saying.

Posted by: Candy at April 30, 2008 3:55 PM

Bryan most assuredly gave himself cancer by laying industrial strength epoxy flooring. That's gross enough for the both of us.

Posted by: Aimee Greeblemonkey at April 30, 2008 3:58 PM

The worst job I ever had was in high school - it was also my first job - at a donut shop. Now donuts and coffee are not a bad gig for a 15 year old but my problem was the crazy blind man who would come in each night and have one coffee and then go loudly masturbate in the one single bathroom we had. Since he was blind there was usually a mess left behind AND some stray pubic hairs to clean up. My boss wouldn't let us kick him out because he was a Paying Customer.

Posted by: SleepyNita at April 30, 2008 4:45 PM

Worst job I ever had- cleaning hotel rooms one summer while in college. A high end hotel where one might think that people with money would not be doing things like, oh, wiping their dirty asses with a nice fluffy white towels (and I'm not talking little spots here and there, I'm talking full force skid marks). Or using another nice white fluffy towel as a tampon/maxi pad. Um, yeah. Niiiiice people. Don't even get me started with what they do on the bed spreads- I NEVER sit on a hotel bed without pulling the spread back. EVER!!!!! You know those are rarely washed right?

Posted by: Greta at April 30, 2008 6:11 PM

Worst job I ever had was working at an H.Salt Fish and Chips shop.
Cutting frozen fish to the exact right weight, dropping the potatoes into the peeler/slicer machine, reaching into the bucket of raw oysters (GAH...like a bucket of snot), frying all of the before mentioned items, and stinking to high heaven everyday of fish and grease.
Absolutely the worst job ever.

Posted by: peggy at April 30, 2008 7:04 PM

Worst job ever was cleaning the home of this little old man that lived in my neighborhood when I was a teen. He was trying to sell it so he could move into an assisted living facility. The realtor told him he'd have to lower the price and sell it as a fixer-upper. He refused. His house was absolutely filthy - filth that I had never seen before and have only seen once since. After 16 hours of working on just the kitchen CABINETS . . . I quit. I couldn't get the smell of grease and cigarette tar off my hands, although I wore gloves, for days. I made $80 . . .

Posted by: Mindy at April 30, 2008 7:51 PM

Princess Smith should seriously be your Halloween costume.

Worst job I ever had was working as a transportation broker for a completely amoral creep. It wasn't a successful day if he hadn't cheated some owner-operator out of an honest day's pay. Different kind of bad I guess. But it left me with that same dirty feeling. I finally gave up looking and quit before I had another job to go to just to be able to sleep at night.

Posted by: OS at April 30, 2008 9:37 PM

Well, with those glasses, you look like one of those agents who were after Neo in The Matrix... only Princess-ified. Not too bad a look. ;-) Could be a lot worse... you could have a *sweaty* head under that tiara.

Posted by: ironic1 at April 30, 2008 10:19 PM

Posted by: at April 30, 2008 10:20 PM

Not sure I ever had a "worst job" -- I happened to mostly like them all.

Posted by: ironic1 at April 30, 2008 10:21 PM

lol.

sweet neo glasses.

darn. other people noticed and mentioned it first.

bah.
all jobs i have are too depressing to think about.

Posted by: Cri at April 30, 2008 11:23 PM

A member of the HAZMAT team that has to clean up sewage back-up has got to be the WORST. We rencently went to check on a house we own that has been vacant for a while now. And found the ENTIRE property flooded with approximately 4 inches of raw sewage.

Posted by: Courtney at May 1, 2008 12:11 AM

A princess with a one day - beard, SEXY!

The worst job? Hmm.. You mean I have to choose between my (few) days as a pizza delivering GAL or my days working in an ice cream parlor where the Italian boss kept sneaking in the dressing room to see his (blond, female) employees change into their ridiculous outfits.

Posted by: Nadine at May 1, 2008 3:44 AM

I think you look very pretty.

Posted by: Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah at May 1, 2008 8:18 AM

Manually removing fecal impactions. To think nurses-who-went-before used to do it without the gloves.

I've gotten puke in my eyes, phlegm on my face, poop on my pants- but the fecal impactions take the cake for me.

Posted by: Karen at May 1, 2008 5:08 PM

Posted by: Karen at May 1, 2008 5:09 PM

Cleaning a grease trap was part of my high school job of working at KFC. It did motivate me to continue on to a college education. I will never forget that horrid smell, though... They had not cleaned it in months, so maggots were involved. Ugh. **shiver**

Posted by: RC at May 1, 2008 6:11 PM

I think you make for a very hip princess. :)

Posted by: Angela at May 2, 2008 10:59 PM