April 4, 2008

The Weeklies #30

The Weekly Stupidest Thing I Did. Ran into a curb, threw a couple of hubcaps and destroyed a wheel.

The Weekly Cost Of The Stupidest Thing I Did. $265.32

The Weekly New Thing I Started Doing. Twittering.

The Weekly Reads. I managed to power through the 500 pages John Lescroart typed up and called The Suspect. It's the second book I've read by him and my first impression stands - he's good. This isn't particularly intellectual stuff but it's entertaining.

The Weekly Fake Record Review Of An Album I Bought But Haven't Yet Listened To. REM's Accelerate is a masterpiece. Who'd have thought that adding a full-time accordionist to the band (Monkey Flung Poo's Jason Valeri) and guest stints from local Athens, Georgia high school marching bands would be so incredibly successful. I'll admit - I was a little concerned by this new direction coupled with the band's choice to cover 1980's hair metal anthems but those fears were unfounded. The results are nothing short of fantastic. Michael Stipe and company power through classics by Ratt, The Scorpions, Skid Row and Stryper with blindingly brilliant results. Peter Buck's guitar work is gritty and Valeri's electric accordion solos are the stuff of legend.

The Weekly Most Awesome Artist Operating on The Net. Brandon Bird. I mean, sweet lord how can you not like this?

The Weekly Schadenfreude. It's been a weird week. Jerry Seinfeld rolled a car (he's fine). Bobby Brown claimed that it was Whitney who got him hitting the crack pipe (though, as you'll recall, she believed crack to be whack). And Naomi Campbell was arrested yesterday for spitting on a cop. This is one incident in a long string of Campbell's anger management problems. Chick needs to land in prison and become someone's bitch.

The Weekly Hypothetical Question. You are wrongly accused of a serious crime. Given the opportunity, do you flee, living a life on the run while seeking to prove your innocence? Or do you turn yourself in and let justice run its course?

Posted by Chris at April 4, 2008 7:15 AM
Comments

I would like to think I would turn myself in and therefore face the music and be somewhat available for my family. But if I felt I was being railroaded and here was no hope, well, I'd be gone. I couldn't do jail time. It'd kill me.

Posted by: Maribeth at April 4, 2008 7:58 AM

Depends...Am I being chased by a one armed man?

Seriously, I am pretty much a "rule follower" so would probably hope that justice would prevail.

Posted by: Debbie at April 4, 2008 8:06 AM

I don't think I'd last long on the run. I'm far too weak and also, the guilt would eat me alive, even if I am innocent. I'd probably turn myself in and pray like hell that there are a lot of angels working overtime to right the wrong.

Posted by: Sparkle Pants at April 4, 2008 8:24 AM

Yeah, I would have to say that I would just HOPE that justice would prevail and I would be cleared of any wrong doing.

Thats a big leap these days, but living on the run does not seem like it would be a picnic either..

Posted by: Jen at April 4, 2008 8:32 AM

http://twitter.com/sarah1016 - I only just started using it again after a Twitter hiatus..... I clicked to "follow" ya.

I think for the hypothetical question, I'm too much of a goody-goody, I probably stay and let the wheels of justice turn. I'm a wuss baby like that.

Posted by: Sarah at April 4, 2008 8:40 AM

Okay, someone explain to me how this twitter stuff works. I'm not on top of it quite yet.

Also, I would turn myself in. I couldn't stand the hassle and lifestyle of a run-away. But I definitely would join Matt Damon on his Bourne adventures. Can you say sexy?!

Posted by: Arwen at April 4, 2008 9:04 AM

Artist: Yeah! You know Jerry Orbach is my favorite.

Schadenfreude: I just don't understand why Campbell is so angry.

Question: I would turn myself in and help justice along.

Have a great weekend.

Posted by: Maria at April 4, 2008 9:19 AM

First, thank you for the Brandon Bird site. "No one wants to play Sega with Harrison Ford" rocks my socks!

I would run, run like the wind, run fah fah away (or to Mexico, I know some peeps there).

Posted by: Mymilabean at April 4, 2008 9:23 AM

I read Lescroart's Rasputin's Revenge and Son of Holmes several years ago and found them to be very enjoyable - of course, I am a fan of Holmes and Watson, but that's neither here nor there. They were fun to read.

Posted by: mr. big dubya at April 4, 2008 9:40 AM

i just started twittering last week...am total addict.

Posted by: ali at April 4, 2008 9:49 AM

You just started twittering. Ahhhh. I'm so adding you now.

Weekly answer: I flee but I don't bother trying to prove my innocence because I enjoy hiding.

Posted by: Poppy at April 4, 2008 9:50 AM

I just don't think I could live in the fear of getting caught. I'd have to turn myself in. Although the legal system? No clue how that thing continues to operate. But I was in treatment with a gal that had been in prison for several years. I learned a lot about how to survive in jail. Some of it was quite frightening, the other parts, very, very entertaining!

Posted by: k8 at April 4, 2008 10:00 AM

Michael Stipe is HOT.

Posted by: GreenCanary at April 4, 2008 10:36 AM

A colleague of Brandon just blew his own brains out 2 days ago after running from the DA tried to "bring him in" on child molestation charge that happened 15 years ago.

So, I guess I would have to skip answering the hypothetical question today out of respect for the dead. Heh.

Posted by: oakley at April 4, 2008 10:37 AM

I'd turn myself in... I think I have a lot of faith in justice.

And I had my "aha" moment with twitter this week and am suddenly addicted even though I've had an account for a couple of months! :)

Posted by: Gliding through motherhood at April 4, 2008 10:48 AM

twitter's awesome. it provides an outlet for all the quick thoughts/observations that i need to get out but don't want to blog about.

stupidly, i'd stick around and let justice run it's course. this despite the fact that i don't have a tremendous amount of faith in it some days.

Posted by: patricia at April 4, 2008 10:59 AM

Chris- Please do not refer to a woman as bitch or women as bitches. :-(

Posted by: Katherine at April 4, 2008 11:04 AM

id turn myself in. running is just so much effort...and besides, even if im wrongly convicted...three meals a day, plenty of time at the gym, free college, free rent...jail isnt so bad....right?

Posted by: steph at April 4, 2008 11:14 AM

It's better to have your day in court, even though 'justice' depends entirely on lawyering skillz more than facts. Painful, but true.

Also, Brandon Bird is amazing. There are no words that can describe this kind of genius:

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at April 4, 2008 11:17 AM

What is the whole Twitter thing about anyway? I'm going to have to look into that...

As for the question, I'd like to think that life on the run would be glamorous and cool, but probably not. The problem I have is that I'm not sure I have enough faith that I would be proven innocent. Not to mention my fear of a jury of my "peers" (I've seen who sits on juries and I wouldn't call them peers!.

Posted by: Mandy Lou at April 4, 2008 12:33 PM

Let's say you did run and did, in the end, prove your innocence. My guess is they'd wrack you up with charges like misuse of taxpayer dollars (for trying to find your behind), evasion of authorities, blah-blah, whatever. Maybe the positive publicity would result in a favorable outcome, maybe not.

I totally don't trust the justice system (I live in Northern IL - 2 "missing" women in Will County and the husbands are still galavanting around???), so neither option seems good! :-P

Posted by: kate at April 4, 2008 12:37 PM

welcome to the twitter!

Posted by: jodi at April 4, 2008 1:09 PM

I'm having a hard day so maybe it's hitting me in the wrong way.. but are you saying NC should be raped for what she did? It doesn't sound like you but I've been coming back to this sentence all day.

Posted by: Laura GF at April 4, 2008 2:45 PM

Welcome to twitter, fine sir.
I would probably go on the lam, maybe just so that I could say I was on the lam. :P

Posted by: Heather at April 4, 2008 5:23 PM

Accused or simply a person of interest? Because if I was accused and I was really innocent I'd be cooperating with the law in every way possible and I don't mean in a half-assed Scott Peterson/OJ Simpson kind of way. Running just says "I did it". It would be scary as hell, but I think I'd have to stick it out.

Posted by: Anastasia Beaverhausen at April 4, 2008 5:56 PM

I am currently in the market for a good excuse to flee and live a life on the run, preferably on a beach with drinks with umbrellas. And brown men. So if you could set me up for a serious crime, I'd totally appreciate it.

Posted by: Mr Lady at April 4, 2008 9:24 PM

I'd like to think I'd turn myself in and go through the legal process but I have so little faith left in our justice system that I'm pretty sure I'd take my chances on the run.

Posted by: Jules at April 5, 2008 9:26 AM

Glad to see you on Twitter man! Can be addictive, but I'm digging it for now. I'd turn myself in, as long as they let me have a computer...otherwise, maybe not.

Posted by: Jeremy Neal at April 7, 2008 1:33 AM