April 28, 2008

Savor Every Popsicle

Oh people I am tired. I get the distinct feeling that I need a weekend to recover from my weekend. But it was a good one.

We vegged out on Friday evening but were both forced from bed early Saturday morning because our spawn seem to have inherited my annoying penchant for waking up before the sun has even thought of showing his face. We had breakfast, cleaned ourselves up and after the obligatory two hours it takes to get out of the house for the day, we went to Beth's parents' house. After hanging out for a little bit, Beth and I made a getaway. We went out for a nice lunch and a movie, pasta and Juno respectively. And yes, I realize Juno just came out on DVD but the only things that are allowed to live in our DVD player feature Elmo and the movie tickets were, like, four bucks each and the theater was manned by bitter high school students who could do nothing but poke fun at their teachers which was amusing as well and, for that matter, so was the movie so forgive us if we aren't exactly at the zenith of popular cinema. That said, here's a question - when did the "dollar theater" start costing four bucks? Seems like a rip-off. Anyway, we headed back to rescue Beth's parents and stuck around for dinner. Then we went home with two exhausted (one completely napless) children, got the kids to bed, passed out on the couch, and watched lame home-flipping shows which were at the top-end of our intellectual capacity.

One of the early risers (Mia) was back at it on Sunday. She and I got up, had breakfast then got dressed and headed back to the in-laws' house. Which isn't exactly close. Why, you ask? Because at some point the previous evening I'd inadvertently allowed Mia to walk off with my cell phone and I didn't manage to get it back before we'd left. Now, I'm not a huge cell-phone user because, frankly, I hate the phone - and all phones - to such an extent that I'm sure I sound moderately retarded when engaged in conversation on the phone but since I'm out of the office at different locations so damn much lately, my office phone is forwarded to my cell. I couldn't exactly leave it behind. So Mia and I drove the hour and a half round trip then hit Target on the way home (Gatorade, new sunglasses, a pair of jeans, diapers and flip-flops if you're curious).

Sunday afternoon brought the dreaded Bratz party I've mentioned a few times. I didn't go, thank the baby jesus. I'd have preferred to attempt to eat my own head. Mia, however, couldn't wait as she saw the moonbounce across the street as soon as she woke up from her nap. Mia was elated, Owen merely drooled and I suspect Beth cringed through the whole thing.

And now, here it is Monday morning. I'm supposed to be refreshed and invigorated but instead I'm merely trying to figure out exactly how uncomfortable I'd be if I crawled under my desk and pulled a Costanza. I'm thinking I could tolerate being pretty darn squished. That said, I give you this sage advice - savor every popsicle.

Posted by Chris at April 28, 2008 6:18 AM
Comments

Geez. It's like you're a parent or something.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at April 28, 2008 7:04 AM

I vote to pull the Costanza...Monday naps are potentially the most worthy of all naps followed only by naps after day at the beach naps.

If there is ever genetic therapy for wake earliness I will see that my future children get the gene from their father who could easily sleep until 10...sleeping in to me is anything after 6:20 and really there is NOTHING to do that early in the morning.

Posted by: Cass at April 28, 2008 7:13 AM

If you do hide out under your desk, be sure to get a self-portrait, OK? I'd like to see you all squished under there!

Posted by: Alissa at April 28, 2008 7:51 AM

I am SOOOOOOOO with you on the Costanza thing... must be something in the air b/c I did NOT want to get out of bed this a.m. FOR NUTHING!

Posted by: Stephanie at April 28, 2008 8:09 AM

My predecessor used to pull a Constanza. It worked for her because she would ask her assistant to sit at her desk while she did it.

Good advice. I think I need to pick up some popsicles on my way home today. I'm feeling as grey as the weather.

Posted by: Maria at April 28, 2008 8:34 AM

I was so happy to be home this weekend after being gone all week to visit family. Not that I don't like them, but holy mother of god all these people do is whine! Give me my three dachshunds and the shepherd and Hubby. They all whine, but in an oh so good way.
Also got my seeds sown for my garden!

Posted by: Maribeth at April 28, 2008 8:43 AM

I had a sleepless night one night last week, which left me an absolute wreck the next day. So I really did lock my door and lay under my desk for a half hour that afternoon. It was GLORIOUS.

(if I didn't start wondering the last time the carpet had been vacuumed, that is)

Posted by: jaime at April 28, 2008 9:08 AM

Your story about heading out with Mia and then hitting Target made me miss my dad. I get to see him in like, two months! Yay! And my mom! And maybe my brother! Holy cow, a Sparkle Pants reunion!

Okay, that was lame.

So at our local Food Lion, they sell a gang of Latino food stuffs. And non-food stuffs. Because wow, there are a LOT of Latinos in our community. The best thing they sell (aside from the total awesome votives with Jesus on them!)? These fabulous popsicles. They're like Flavor Ices but BETTER. But they're kind of like sausages in that in the middle, they go back in, so the popsicle has a waist. And you have to keep cutting at the thing with scissors. But our scissors don't work anymore, so the other night I was hacking into one of the popsicles with a knife.

We're out of those things now and god, I must get back to the store and buy some.

Posted by: Sparkle Pants at April 28, 2008 9:16 AM

Man, whenever you talk about how cute Mia is I get all gushed out, mushed out and all I can think to say is "MIA IS SOOOO CUTE!"

So.

Um,...

Happy Monday!

Posted by: Poppy at April 28, 2008 9:23 AM

I watched Juno this weekend too. What did you think?

Posted by: claire at April 28, 2008 9:42 AM

Sounds exhausting.
Mia looks like Beth in those photos.

Posted by: Nat at April 28, 2008 10:16 AM

Better yet, savor every FUDGICLE!

Posted by: Pammer at April 28, 2008 10:21 AM

Better yet, savor every FUDGICLE!

Posted by: Pammer at April 28, 2008 10:21 AM

Oh yes, definitely fudgsicle.

Posted by: laura at April 28, 2008 10:36 AM

I'm developing a camouflage desk-napping blanket (patent pending) that can be pulled up over oneself when sleeping on the job. It's made to look like carpet and wires and emits a low-level hum like a CPU. Pre-order now! Only $19.95. And if you order within the next ten minutes, I'll throw in a set of Ginzu knives for free. Yes, FREE!

Posted by: GreenCanary at April 28, 2008 10:54 AM

I need a weekend to recover from the weekend as well. I'm exhausted. A good exhausted, but tired nonetheless.

Posted by: Allan at April 28, 2008 11:09 AM

Three cheers for Monday naps. It seems like weekends are rarely the relaxing business I hope for them to be.

Posted by: Kate at April 28, 2008 11:30 AM

the amazing thing about being woken up so early is that by 10am...it already feels like bedtime :)

Posted by: ali at April 28, 2008 11:46 AM

I'm with you on the disdain for phones. If I could live without them, I would. Great Popsicle pics too. It's amazing how a simple thing like cold food can make kids so happy.

Posted by: Jeremy (Discovering Dad) at April 28, 2008 12:38 PM

Gotta love the fudgecicley goodness!

Posted by: Dianna at April 28, 2008 3:31 PM

I had one of those weekends! Everyone that we know (with children) thinks our place is the "Place to be". I'd like to think it's me, but I lean towards the fact that we provide food, entertainment for kids, and a place to crash. Of course it could also be the Wii.

Hope your Monday is very low key!

Posted by: Mymilabean at April 28, 2008 3:38 PM

I'm trying to think if I have ever woken up refreshed and invigorated after a weekend with my children.

Thinking.

Thinking.

Um.

Nope.

I think that's a pipe dream.

Mia is too cute.

Posted by: Mindy at April 28, 2008 4:32 PM

yay! popsicles! we've been eating a lot lately. and!! they're mystery scooby doo ones! and we also have some superman ones that if you put all the sticks together make a cool picture of superman doing something cool.

i feel i should say cool one more time..or something.

p.s.

do you like jack kerouac?

Posted by: Cri at April 30, 2008 2:00 AM

OK, I seriously have not checked out your blog in WAY too long. Mia sprouted up into a beautiful little girl (from a beautiful baby girl) And, now you have a SON! Wow! Cool.

Anyway, I'm now writing on a mommy blog, so please check it out. If you get a chance, please add me to your blogroll.

Posted by: Dolly at April 30, 2008 6:49 PM

I would like to propose not to hold off until you get enough money to buy all you need! You should just take the loan or just auto loan and feel free

Posted by: JohnsonAutumn at December 24, 2010 11:39 PM