May 22, 2008

Unclenched

I don't drink. I was never much of a drinker to begin with but I pretty much quit in college. I know - strange timing, right? I blame paranoia and anti-depressants. I was concerned with how booze and pills would interact given their dicey reputation. Just ask Judy Garland. (Could I have come up with a gayer reference? I think not.)

Last weekend, we took advantage of the glorious weather and ate outside on our deck. I was borderline shocked to find myself cracking open an icy cold Corona. Even more surprised that I enjoyed it. I was also reasonably surprised by the fact that I didn't get all drunk off the one beer, take my clothes off and do the can-can on the picnic table. I'm sure the neighbors would have been very impressed. But I digress.

Why did I do this? My doctor, when she broke the news about the shingles and I said something to the effect of you're shitting me, told me to. Something about the condition being greatly exacerbated by stress.

Me: So you're telling me I should relax.
Doctor: Yeah.
Me: With two kids and a demanding job.
Doctor: I didn't say it would be easy. Just relax more often. Have a beer.
Me: I don't drink.
Doctor: Start.

I'll admit that I've always had a slightly paranoid concern in the back of my mind about falling into alcoholism like quicksand. It runs in my family. But I think that's just an excuse. Honestly, I think a part of me is afraid to lose control. That's me - Rude Cactus, control freak.

Conclusion #1. Beer is good. This is not a shock - I've always liked beer. Growing up, my dad always let me have beer. He wasn't buying me a keg when I was in kindergarten or anything and I do remember the threat of grounding me for life when he discovered I'd gone through a stash of beer before my high school orientation (how wrong is that?), but I was always welcome to a sip here and a small glass there. My grandfather, good German that he was, was convinced I had to learn to drink early. I can't tell you how many times I finished a meal at their house tipsy. Really. I honestly don't remember. I was blitzed.

Conclusion #2. Sometimes I'm a real tight-ass and I just need to loosen up. Consider me looser. Wait, that doesn't sound right.

What are your vices and what do you most need to loosen up about?

Posted by Chris at May 22, 2008 7:13 AM
Comments

Not much of a drinker thanks to a family history of alcoholism and a need to constantly be in control over here too. (Actually, it kinda freaked me out reading this post because aside from the Judy Garland playing with my loose ass part - that is what you said, right? - I could have written this post myself.)

I know that my biggest stress source is trying to be everything all the time. With a demanding job and a family at home, it's easy to forget you need time for yourself (actually, I wrote about that today; no seriously). But like me, you won't take it because you feel too guilty not being there for your wife and kids.

Posted by: SciFi Dad at May 22, 2008 7:30 AM

Every once in a while I sneak a diet 7 up with vodka and that is about it. I really need to learn how to loosen up, my husband tells me so!

Posted by: Steff at May 22, 2008 7:51 AM

I grew up with an alcoholic stepfather, and so while alcoholism isn't in my genes, I've seen the chaos it can throw on a family... So, I've never been one to drink to excess. To me, I like a drink or two occasionally - to feel a slight buzz and to relax a smidge.

ADMITTEDLY, I am one tremendous bundle of stress. I don't relax well - recently I had a massage and I felt like I was fighting the massage therapist, because I tensed against everything (Note: I hate massage, it was a gift, and I'm never going back). I need to loosen up about the expectations of balancing work and home - I work *FROM* home - and trying to balance being a mom with being an employee and not drop any balls in either arena is pretty tough - and I think i make it harder than it has to be. I don't want to let anyone down.

My vices are overpriced coffee and exercise (but only because I can't seem to relax about my fear of having three chins and an ass too big to fit through my doorway).

Posted by: sarah at May 22, 2008 8:09 AM

My vices? Probably chocolate and celebrity gossip sites. Am I a TOTAL GIRL or what? Those are such lame vices when I actually look at them written down. Good grief.

You know, I think I need to loosen up about my kids. I'm wound pretty tightly when it comes to the toddler behavior, and I think I may be creating a tiny little tightly wound toddler in the process. Oops.

Posted by: chatty cricket at May 22, 2008 8:24 AM

Judy Garland is my vice.

Posted by: William at May 22, 2008 8:26 AM

My biggest vice is smoking. Sometimes up to two packs a day. Though I've discovered I smoke more at work (we can smoke in our offices). Yesterday was so stressful here I blew through a whole pack by 2pm. Another vice, or addiction is exercise. I'm fine if I DON'T do it, but once I start, it's really hard to stop me. Not the smartest thing for someone who only eats one meal a day.

I need to loosen up about everything. I feel like I need to be "on" all the time. That my work must all be done in 2.4 seconds. My house can NEVER be dirty, I can never not answer a phone call from family or friends, etc., etc. I am completely incapable of relaxing. I feel like I'm constantly on edge. The muscles in my neck and back do not like this very much!

Posted by: js at May 22, 2008 8:30 AM

First of all, William's comment is perfection.
Second...mmmm BEER. Zach started his own little home brewery right here in our house a few months back, and let me tell you, once you get used to drinking homebrew, Corona will taste like seltzer water.
It's interesting, alcoholism runs in my family as well as families of people I know and I find that often times, subsequent generations do what you have done and go in the opposite direction for fear of losing control.
I think that no matter how you slice it, addictive personalities are pretty much hereditary and difficult to overcome. I have one, but not for alcohol. Mine is a bad relationship with food.
We all fight our own demons, no?

Posted by: Caitlin at May 22, 2008 8:34 AM

First of all, William's comment is perfection.
We all fight our own demons, no?

Posted by: Caitlin at May 22, 2008 8:34 AM

BTW, thanks for the heads up on State Farm!

Posted by: Caitlin at May 22, 2008 8:36 AM

Chocolate is my vice.

I'm not much of a drinker either. One drink and I can feel it, although I don't mind a good margarita.

Posted by: daisy at May 22, 2008 8:37 AM

I am pretty stressed out too. My blood pressure is a bit high as a result. I have been stressed due to work, 2 kids (2.5yr & 3mth), and obsessing about my yard.

I have started to take time for myself each evening after the kids go to bed. I will drink a beer, play some Wii, or watch Deadliest Catch or some other "man show" on tv.

Posted by: Josh at May 22, 2008 8:38 AM

LeCactus, you have uncanny timing.....

As I sit here with my new "today's list" I decided after a difficult realization last night that today is THE day I look the demon in the face...that demon is food...specifically chocolate and almost everything chocolate/dessert/cookie/brownie - related. I don't drink much (save for some red wine with dinner sometimes), I don't smoke, I don't even drink coffee anymore since the Big Lebowski....but I self sooth with chocolate and other indulgent foods....it's terrible...seriously, I really do KNOW better...yet I do it anyway. I keep saying that it's because it's been a stressful couple of months...but reality is that life gets stressful sometimes...it sucks, it truly does...but it doesn't justify eating an entire box of rosebuds....

I need to loosen up about having everything under control...it's OK if the all the dishes don't get done after every meal, laundry not put away, thank you cards not ALL done, lawn not cut, etc...

But damn if I didn't break out in a mini sweat just typing those things...having "not done" things on a "to-do" list stresses me the fuck out...but I'm working on it...the stress, not the lists.

Maybe I need a beer too...

Posted by: wn at May 22, 2008 8:44 AM

Stress and control issues appear to be rampant. Or maybe it's just the people you attract. ;-)

I'm a control freak stress basket as well. I am an eldest child, with a mean black sheep streak and a recently discovered ex-"wife"... so I guess it goes with the territory.

I have a great vice though, as it also fulfills one of my lifelong goals. I am a wino. My mother is very proud of me. Actually, she is. She likes to call me for wine recommendations and food pairings. So I guess that's a wino and a food nut. But not enough to go to any reality show about it. Just enough to expand my a$$ and get a nice buzz doing it.

Posted by: Varinia at May 22, 2008 8:51 AM

Posted by: Varinia at May 22, 2008 8:51 AM

My job is bringing massive amounts of stress at the moment, as is our impending move and our financial situation and our situation in general. I unwind by watching the Disney Channel, listening to lots of music, playing the Sims, reading badly written fanfiction (or the Twilight series, which is the SAME THING)...I basically just regress until I feel better.

I do enjoy a good drink but I'm such a lightweight that I rarely get anything out of it other than a quick way to fall asleep for 80 hours.

Sometimes I write to unwind! But usually that just causes me more stress :D

Posted by: Sparkle Pants at May 22, 2008 8:53 AM

Nothing says relax like a hit of xtc after a long work week...

Posted by: Arwen at May 22, 2008 8:58 AM

Ah - I love it when the doc prescribes a beer every now and then. When I first started nursing Zoe, we had a terrible time. Then it was recommended that I have a beer at night. And not crappy beer - good beer. Ah, saints be praised! They're still not sure if it's the relaxing effect that helps or something in the grain cultures. But, boy, was it nice.

Sucks now that most of my vices have been forbidden with baby #2 on board. No Cherry Coke, no Skittles, no Sour Cream and Onion Pringles binges (warding off a second gestational diabetes diagnosis). Gah! Guess I'll have to stick with House Hunters and Moving Up on TV.

Posted by: kate at May 22, 2008 8:59 AM

I think most parents have the vice of caffeine(!) but other than that, none. However, I sort of feel like I would stand to start drinking wine again because, like you, I would feel a lot less stressed about the baby, bills/money, and my job. But I drank A LOT in college and worried about becoming an alcoholic so if/when I actually drink, I have ONE glass of wine or maybe even a couple beers, after the kid's in bed. And it helps. But then I feel like I am relying on a substance to make myself feel better.

Posted by: claire at May 22, 2008 9:10 AM

Eating too much and spending too much money on makeup/clothes/shoes/something else I don't actually "need."

I'm wound too tight about everything.
Last night I couldn't sleep because I was thinking about how much and what to buy for a bachelorette party next Wednesday. I also took some time to contemplate how much margarita to make for 10-12 girls who are later going to the bar anyway, and the cost of tequila.

I will literally stress about nothing.

Posted by: Cassandra at May 22, 2008 9:32 AM

hmmmm.... I'm not much of a drinker and have a similar family history. I'm also a control freak. I've never thought about the relationship with my need to remain in control and my choice to drink very infrequently (once or twice a year).

My vice? Books and Chocolate. I seriously am miserable if I don't have a good book to read and some decent chocolate to savor. In fact I'm often reading several books simultaneously -keep one in the car, one in the diaper bag, one in each of the bathrooms, etc.

I pretty much need to loosen up about everything. Maybe more than anything... worrying about what others think. Does that sound stupid? LOL

Posted by: ocdcontrolfreak at May 22, 2008 9:45 AM

I need to loosen up about life in general. I had a conversation with my boss this morning and he said taking a vacation is NOT OPTIONAL. I need to let go of work and family stress NOW since in the last week I have slept less than 2 hours.

Posted by: Maria at May 22, 2008 9:49 AM

A cold beer is nice from time to time, but I can take or leave alcohol. My vice is Coca Cola. Oh, how I love Coke. And oh, how very bad it is for diabetics. I've been on a bit of a backslide on Coke lately, and I've got to stop that.

I also have control freak tendencies, and should probably loosen up about just about everything. Some days it is easier to let things go than others.

Posted by: bad penguin at May 22, 2008 10:09 AM

I stress over everything being perfect all the time. I went to a hypnotherapist to quit smoking and they told me I was the most tense person they'd ever seen. No way to relax me. Someday I'll figure it out. For now I just live in that prey survival mode. I think it's income level. ;) You know a beer or a glass of wine to destress is absolutely no different than other ways of medicating. Just without the therapist as a middle man. And I think that's fantastic. What's wrong with recognizing your needs and meeting them? Says the round girl who can't say no to chocolate. lol There was a great program on NPR last Friday about mood and food that talked about this.

Posted by: OS at May 22, 2008 10:21 AM

BRAVO, sir!

Posted by: Mr Lady at May 22, 2008 10:26 AM

We're a lot alike in the control area. However, I do enjoy beer, and I know how to relax. The thing I think you'll find is that even when you learn how, and really enjoy it, there clearly isn't enough time to do it. But still... gotta try.

Your doctor conversation was good for my first laugh of the day. Thanks.

Posted by: Brad at May 22, 2008 10:29 AM

My vices are Mt Dew & the internet...I can't quit either one.

I'm a little disappointed at your lack of nude can-canning though :D

Posted by: Kris at May 22, 2008 10:35 AM

I smoke, I eat and if I want to drink, I drink... I have very little stress.

Posted by: Amber at May 22, 2008 10:42 AM

I used to drink, smoke and eat too much. I quit smoking hell and I'm more about moderations.

Really, my vice is running far and loud music. Not so bad in scheme of things.

Posted by: Nat at May 22, 2008 10:42 AM

I love how the medical field itself is loosening up!

I recently had some medical issues myself, and my nurse suggested I look into smoking a little marijuana now and then(done and done!).

Now if we can just figure out the health benefits of Gentleman Jack Daniels to where we can get intravenous injections!

Posted by: Phil at May 22, 2008 11:02 AM

Fear of losing control is reason number one why I decided back when I was 13 that I would never drink. Plus, alcoholism runs in the family and I also have a bit of a problem with over indulging w/ food when things go sour so I figure why tempt my poor self control with something I really don't need?

I'm not a prude about it though. I'm a curious person and every once in a while I ask for a sip of whatever drink people are raving about. Not to "find my drink" as people have often suggested, just, again, because I'm nosy. Beer, however, I can't get with. I've never once been tempted to try a sip. It just looks nasty.

Posted by: patricia at May 22, 2008 11:03 AM

Wow, I'm amazed at the response from people who don't drink much. I'm always designated driver because I have more fun sober. It's always nice to get the phone call from friends "Was I dancing on the bar last night?" when I get to say Yes! And then they vaguely say "Weren't you next to me?" and I can say "Yes, but I didn't need to call someone to verify that".

Need for control over all aspects of my life is my argument...that and my grandfather was an alcoholic, although I never met him it made my dad never touch the stuff.

Posted by: Krush at May 22, 2008 11:17 AM

For years, because of his parent's addiction, my husband would not let himself drink. He was afraid of giving up control and afraid of becoming like his parents. I worked on him for quite some time, and now he can finally enjoy a glass of wine or a margarita, and he is nowhere NEAR being an alcoholic. It's a tough thing to overcome, though. He still doesn't like beer, so I still have work to do. (Just kidding.)

Posted by: heels at May 22, 2008 11:36 AM

Vices:
Recorded TV (America's Port on Nat'l Geo Channel, The Bachelorette, Bad Girls Club) It is mostly trashy tv, but not all of it.

Need to loosen up about:
My asshat boss and his greed and (im)moral code of conduct.

Posted by: Stella at May 22, 2008 11:42 AM

Vices:

Need to loosen up about:
My asshat boss and his greed and (im)moral code of conduct.

Posted by: Stella at May 22, 2008 11:42 AM

I drink occasionally, but wouldn't consider it a vice.

It amuses me that your doctor told you to become an alcoholic.

(Ok, not really, but... maybe!)

Posted by: Poppy at May 22, 2008 12:10 PM

Well, since I'm a recovering alcoholic, I could say that my past vice WAS the demon alcohol (ha!), but I think it was more the penchant for drama that kept me drunk all the time.

That said, sober for a little over a year, I still smoke. And smoke a lot. And I really don't think that's going to change any time soon. See? I figure that quitting drinking was first on the list. Losing weight was second and smoking was third. See where my priorities lie? Gotta look good before I turn into a raving nicotine-deprived lunatic.

Posted by: k8 at May 22, 2008 12:32 PM

I'm full of vices with bacon, beer, cheese and dessert being the real enemy.

Alcohol is easy to curb because I can only drink one before I'm blitzed. (By the way, I never heard/read anyone use that before.) The rest is REALLY hard to control myself.

...as I'm typing away over a bowl of eggs, potatoes, chorizo, and, you know it, bacon.

Posted by: oakley at May 22, 2008 12:48 PM

Vices: Smoking, drinking tea and OC tendencies

How I relax: smoke, drink tea and organize

=)

Posted by: Amber at May 22, 2008 1:22 PM

Chris,
Slowing down and relaxing has strongly taken it's place as Prominent and Important in the past few years for me. It makes life a lot more enjoyable and you feel better overall.

And I think it's important to feel good. Not in a blocking-pain-bandaid sory of way, but genuinely feeling good on the inside.

I'm don't drink much but I do meditate a lot. It keeps me in perspective, has gotten me through some very scary and awful times, and it makes me happy, healthy, feeling connected, and relaxed.

Oh, and don't forget to be a good friend to youeself.

Enjoy your beer. You're conscious, so you'll be responsible.

Posted by: jessica at May 22, 2008 1:38 PM

Wow- the blogosphere is full of teetotalers! Who would've thunk it? Three words: single malt Scotch. I know it isn't ladylike but it IS magically delicious. And no, I'm not a lush. One drink a week about does it.

My non-alcoholic vices? Baking cookies, eating the darkest of dark chocolates or watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Posted by: rebeccaeee at May 22, 2008 1:38 PM

I forgot to add that my vice is Amazon.com Super-Saving shipping.

Posted by: jessica at May 22, 2008 1:41 PM

Itunes has been very therapeutic. When I'm stressed at work, I just shut down whatever programs I have open (usually photoshop, Maya, MS Project), open itunes and start browsing songs. Sometimes I buy, sometimes I don't. I highly suggest it.

Posted by: Lani at May 22, 2008 2:25 PM

Like you, I don't drink. What do I do to chill out? I used to eat, and then weight became a real problem. Now I read, work in my garden or look for low calorie recipes I can make.
I also listen to music!

Posted by: Maribeth at May 22, 2008 3:35 PM

Hmmm. My vices? I would say blog hopping and general 'busyness'. I have a very hard time just shutting down and chillin'... but I am learning and a few beers, glasses of red wine or a scotch or two don't hurt ;).

Posted by: Kelly at May 22, 2008 3:38 PM

Single malt scotch, diet cherry coke are my vices.

I need to loosen up about my OCD and litter boxes.

Posted by: been there, done that at May 22, 2008 5:23 PM

Can stressing out be my vice? I am really quite super good at it actually. The older I get the less I drink - it's the whole fear of losing control (and hangovers) that I keep me from it.

I am a little suprised to read how many of your followers are stressed out too - hmmm a generational thing perhaps?

I hope the herpesshingles are feeling better! Did the Corona work better than the medicine?

Posted by: Michelle at May 22, 2008 6:58 PM

At a family related wedding recently, I was half blitzed (off two servings of black sambuca clean- doesn't take much ;) and with my boyfriend's mom making fun in whispers of this weird fluffy grey tuft of hair this man had left on his forehead- in front of the central-clearing bald spot. It still would have been funny to sober me, but I would have kept it all to myself.
I told his mom that it was odd how I am trying to drink more just as my boyfriend is trying to drink less, his brother is over one year clean in AA, and a friend of his is doing his DIY AA.
I am trying to drink more too because I have really become a total boring stiffy. I too am paranoid about becoming alcoholic. Heck, I even get paranoid about loved ones becoming alcoholics.
I am trying to let myself have a drink now and then and loosen up and let myself enjoy.
Seems I remember being fun once upon a time, and long ago in a far-off land :-)

Posted by: Karen at May 22, 2008 7:40 PM

Seems I remember being fun once upon a time, and long ago in a far-off land :-)

Posted by: Karen at May 22, 2008 7:40 PM

Seems I remember being fun once upon a time, and long ago in a far-off land :-)

Posted by: Karen at May 22, 2008 7:41 PM

I think I need to loosen up about loosening up. Cointreau on the rocks is my vice, and what a tasty vice it is...

Posted by: Talking Budgie at May 22, 2008 7:51 PM

I hear you! I have a lot of trouble relaxing, plus I have TMJ, so I suffer from all the symptoms related to clenching, teeth grinding etc. I don't remember what it's like to have relaxed shoulder and neck muscles. Seriously. And I'm too uptight to get a massage. So there you have it.

I will say that the drug Soma works wonderfully. It's just difficult to function on a daily basis while taking it!

Posted by: coolchick at May 22, 2008 10:13 PM

I was allowed to have a beer now and then when I was a kid (my cousins and I could share a pony bottle of bud). We loved feeling so grown up (man, how much that bites you in the ass when you're actually a responsible adult). Alcoholism runs in my family too, and honestly, while I'll tout the need for a martini constantly, I rarely actually HAVE a martini (surprising, even to me). I love to drink and have a good time, but it's very fleeting, and not because I'm scared of becoming an alcoholic, but more because I finish half of it, and I'm over it already.

Posted by: statia at May 23, 2008 12:09 AM

My vice is martinis. Gin. Vodka. Lemon twist. Olive. Whichever way - martinis.

Posted by: dadshouse at May 23, 2008 3:32 AM

I love cocktail hour. I hate being drunk, and I never have more than one or two, but I just love having a drink of any kind (wine, beer, gin and tonic, martini) at the end of the day.

I need to just loosen up on myself in general. I'm always worried that I'm doing something wrong, at work, with the baby, in my life. It's a terrible way to live, especially when 99% of the things don't matter at all.

Posted by: Alias Mother at May 23, 2008 11:14 AM

I could have told you to drink beer.

Sheesh. I would have told you that it was good for free.

Posted by: Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah at May 23, 2008 11:51 AM

I'm a control freak too. I tend to worry about things. I should be more like FreezeM, he's a "everything will be OK, don't worry" kind of person. I think that's a great attitude, especially as an example for the children you raise.

Posted by: Nadine at May 25, 2008 5:03 AM

You go and enjoy your beer. A cold beer on a sunny afternoon surrounded by your family is a joy to behold. Sure you can do without the beer but it just adds to the whole loveliness of it. I am Australian so beer is PART of life. Don't judge me.

I have tried to destress at night by turning off ALL technology (for a couple of hours at least) and talking (crazy I know) to my husband and playing a silly board game like scrabble or backgammon and just enjoying that.

Keep it up and good luck!

Posted by: Beth at May 25, 2008 11:10 PM

I am a control freak in alot of ways but oddly enough especially when I drink! I think because I made such an idiot of myself when I drank when I was in my teens and 20s. I'll have one glass of wine and feel the effects and obsess in my head as to whether I "sound" normal. Control Freak! AND, if I am hungover the next morning I have such a loathing for myself that it's not worth it! I think because when I did drink, I had no Off switch. My family is littered with alcholics unfortunately which makes me particularly freakish for my son. I just hope I've educated him enough.
BUT, I love Corona with lime and it really really unwinds me when I need it, I love MacIntosh Apple Martinis but can only handle two.
My biggest vice is probably wasting time - I'm always yelling at myself to be more productive, keep the house cleaner, get my pictures in albums, get rid of the little piles of paper all over the house (all mine).
Crap! I AM a control freak.

Posted by: NancyB at May 31, 2008 9:24 AM