May 19, 2008

Ladybug Ladybug Fly Away Home

I'm not gonna lie - I'm bitter that it's Monday. This in spite of the fact that I took Thursday and Friday off. That should make me well-rested and ready to take on the world, right? Yeah, sure. Yet, here I am at oh-dark-thirty getting ready to head to work. And I'm exhausted. Why?

Thursday. Since the day we went the first time, Mia has wanted to return to the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History. This was bolstered by the fact that we discovered and subsequently told Mia about a new butterfly exhibit. Where you are in a room with butterflies. Flying all around you. So as soon as we were all awake and dressed, we headed to Monkeytown and checked it out. Mia loved everything, especially the dinosaurs and butterflies. She was especially pleased with the fact that a butterfly landed on me. Owen, well, Owen was just along for the ride. Then we came home and said hello to all the caterpillars. And fed them.

Friday. Mia and I went to her music class - really just a room of singing dancing kids, what could be better? Then we hit "the french fry store" (McDonalds) for sustenance and crapped out the rest of the day. Oh, we talked with the caterpillars too, of course.

Saturday. On Saturday, we hit the local nursery and bought flowers. Then we brought them home and planted them. A couple pots of impatiens, a new bed of tomatoes, watermelons and strawberries, and several new additions to the pond later, we were covered in dirt. So, right there, it was a good day. Add some caterpillars and you have a successful day.

Sunday. Beth's parents volunteered to come hang with Mia and Owen while Beth and I took some time to ourselves. We hit a local book store (for ourselves), a craft place (for Mia), Target (ourselves, again), and Babies R Us (the kids) and called it an afternoon. Then? Chinese takeout. After getting two very tired kids to bed, we got ourselves to bed.

And now you're caught up. So, I've been out of the loop a little. What did I miss?

Posted by Chris at May 19, 2008 6:29 AM
Comments

The highlight of everything? My kid FINALLY figuring out what the fuss was about with potty training. Whoo. I've only had to change maybe a handful of diapers (mostly post nap, post full night sleep) in the past several days, and I'm VERY VERY HAPPY! Funny how someone else's toilet habits can make or break your mood!

Posted by: Sarah at May 19, 2008 7:40 AM

Way back when I was workin for the Man, I used to find it IMPOSSIBLY DIFFICULT to transition back into work mode following a vacation. Days off didn't recharge me for the office, they made me want more days off. Cruel.

That butterfly exhibit sounds AWESOME!

Posted by: chatty cricket at May 19, 2008 7:45 AM

That sounds like such a lovely few days who cares what you missed!
Pol x

Posted by: Pol at May 19, 2008 7:58 AM

Lovely, you always cheer me up.

And, by the way, I smell a bloody talented photographer when I look at your pictures. :)

Posted by: Alex at May 19, 2008 8:21 AM

Sounds like a wonderful weekend...those photos are fantastic. I am especially a fan of ladybugs so the top pne is my favorite.

I am right there with you on Monday bitterness. I am plagued by it at the start of most weeks...

Posted by: Michelle at May 19, 2008 8:25 AM

I love the Bronx Zoo's butterfly exhibit. Love this set of photos. Well, I always think your photos are fab, but these macro shots rock.

My butt is dragging too because I haven't been able to sleep. At All.

Other than not sleeping I just ran errands and did household chores.

Posted by: Maria at May 19, 2008 8:27 AM

Too much to tell.
Allergic to soy.
did laundry.
Took pictures of our pretty apple blossoms.
Started reading again after all those eye operations. Nice to be able to read again!

Posted by: Maribeth at May 19, 2008 8:32 AM

EVERYTHING CHANGED! Oh no, wait. Nothing much changes on the Interwebs. Except the players.

We're having great weather here so we spent every minute from Friday at 4:00pm until Sunday night at 8:00pm enjoying the outdoors and general merriment. This Spring was way overdue. I can feel the darkness leaving my brain and it's great.

Posted by: Brad at May 19, 2008 8:59 AM

Our new place has a balcony and I think we're both a little too excited about the prospect of putting lots of potted plants on it after we move. Of course, the only thing I've ever kept alive (of the plant variety) is a cactus. So...maybe I'll let The BFF handle the plants.

Posted by: Sparkle Pants at May 19, 2008 9:17 AM

What did you miss? Well Ashley Simpson got married. Dude you are so out of the loop.

Posted by: William at May 19, 2008 9:28 AM

Went to Abilene to watch baseball playoffs against our high schooler's varsity teacm...against Amarillo. We lost by one game and that game by one point. One measly point. Then prom...and I spent the rest of the weekend addressing graduation announcements. And I had Chinese takeout, too.

Posted by: apathy lounge at May 19, 2008 9:35 AM

Posted by: apathy lounge at May 19, 2008 9:36 AM

Went to Tulsa for a symposium. Highlights included but not limited to, getting lost while trying to find somewhere to eat (took us an hour and a half), went to their version of a mall, heard about their 'May Fest' for a gajillion bazillion times (we still didnt go, even though it was right around the corner from our hotel), worked the symposium, headed home. I have never been so glad to cross back into Texas in my life, not that oklahoma is bad, just proud to be a Texan. :o)

Posted by: Elizabeth at May 19, 2008 9:48 AM

Dude, Chris - do you know how coincidental I found it that you're subject line this morning is exactly the "song" my 2-year-old was singing (out of the blue - I didn't know she knew it) this morning?

Since I can't manage to update my own site - the weekend consisted of an exhausted, 11-weeks pregnant me trying to comfort a snarky 2-year-old who's cutting her molars while attempting to potty train herself. With a husband who wanted nothing but to work in the yard and plant all those beautiful things we got at the nursery. Whew! Amen Monday.

Posted by: kate at May 19, 2008 10:10 AM

Well, we broke some heat records out here and I made my first survey with the question, hot enough for you? Now it's cooled off. Hurray!

Posted by: Wendy at May 19, 2008 12:28 PM

um. a lot. but i should probably just update on my site. since i dont want to ramble in your comment box..

Posted by: Cri at May 19, 2008 12:54 PM

Two days straight at the beach. 4th degree sunburns. One $50 sneaker on it's way to Japan. Oh, and the best damn fish tacos ever.

Today, Monday? 50 degress and raining. Vancouver makes me want to hurt people.

Posted by: Mr Lady at May 19, 2008 2:50 PM

Two days straight at the beach. 4th degree sunburns. One $50 sneaker on its way to Japan. Oh, and the best damn fish tacos ever.

Monday? Raining and 50's. I hate vancouver on Mondays.

Posted by: Mr Lady at May 19, 2008 2:51 PM

Buy Mia this:
I've had mine since Saturday, and the caterpillars have doubled in size and are trying to make their chrysalis. However, they are crapping all over their food.

Posted by: TheQueen at May 19, 2008 10:08 PM

Sounds like a great weekend! Great photos! We spend our weekend in the garden too. I am now looking at our new lawn instead of bricks, bricks and bricks :)

Posted by: Nadine at May 20, 2008 2:34 AM

Your title reminds me of a kids song we listen to a lot by the Terrible Twos. Do you and Mia listen to them? If not, start immediately. Check out their album "If you ever saw an owl."

It is made up from members from the Get Up Kids, but the music is all geared towards kids. But it doesn't make parents want to run screaming for the woods.

Posted by: Jen at May 20, 2008 10:43 AM

I tried everything to attract butterflies to our house. I set out special feeders and planted special plants... I was delighted when we got a whole group (flock? swarm?) of what appeared to be beautiful black and blue butterflies. I was NOT thrilled when I found out they were some indestructable moth species that eats all those special/expensive plants I'd just bought.

Posted by: Tink at May 21, 2008 2:00 PM

ooooh we gonna take her there again right :)

Posted by: stinkerbell at May 23, 2008 1:34 PM

If you are willing to buy a house, you will have to receive the home loans. Moreover, my father usually utilizes a auto loan, which seems to be the most firm.

Posted by: Emily30Moss at October 19, 2010 4:43 PM