May 27, 2008

Question: Where Did The Long Weekend Go?

Answer: Into the seemingly bottomless void into which weekends - not to mention time in general - seem to disappear with startling frequency.

Saturday. On Saturday, we did a little impromptu photo shoot with the kids. It was hilarious and moderately frustrating. Whenever Owen smiled, Mia got him in a choke-hold which erased said smile. Or, Mia would smile and Owen would make a face that made him look like a drunk and very small version of Ed Asner. But we got a few good shots which made great Mother's Day gifts for our moms and, before you point out that Mother's Day was ages ago, we're very well aware of that but were sidetracked in the delivery of said gifts. Before that, I mowed. After that, we went to a pre-Memorial Day cookout. Fun was had by all, especially Mia who got to terrorize not only her brother but her year-old cousin.

Sunday. Lions and tigers and bears, oh my. Yeah. We went to the zoo. It was a perfect day for it - sunny, warm and insanely gorgeous. Pity the entire nation decided to visit the National Zoo at the same time. I mean, seriously people, there are other places to see animals, like your television. This is where I came up with the idea for a new stroller, the Rude Cactus 3000. It's just like a regular stroller except for the electric cattle prod welded to the front. Someone stops right in front of you for no apparent reason? They're getting a bazillion watts of power in the wazoo. Aside from the infestation of asshats, the zoo was fun. Mia loved it, especially the beaver. This triggered a long series of beaver jokes only my inner 12-year old laughed about. Then we went home. And all of us collapsed.

Monday. Donuts! And a picnic! On Sunday night I promised Mia we'd get donuts. As soon as she woke up, we headed out to the 'donut store' in our PJs (god bless drive through Dunkin Donuts) and picked some up. I swear, when I got the donuts home and pulled them out of the box, Mia said "mmmmm donuts" worthy of the great one himself (Homer Simpson, which was funny since she's never seen an episode). A while later, the four of us packed up some food and headed to a little park in our neighborhood where we had a picnic. It was rad. (Yes, I said rad. You have a problem with that?). Then the kids napped while Beth and I loaded up the sherpa in order to head to my parents' place for another cookout.

So, what did you do?

Posted by Chris at May 27, 2008 6:32 AM
Comments

I always seem to either totally over-do it or under-do it on weekends like this. This time? Total over-do.

Saturday found us on a day trip to Pittsburgh for a stop at the Phipps Conservatory, an hour boat tour on the 3 rivers, lunch at the Hard Rock, and the Cubs vs. Pirates baseball game.

Sunday was the day o'planting more flowers in the front yard and tilling up the garden area.

Monday was food, family, and fun. And not necessarily in that order.

Overall, a busy and fun weekend. Thanks for asking! (Oh, and only EIGHT days of school left with students!!! Hell yeah!!!)

Posted by: ironic1 at May 27, 2008 6:58 AM

I spent most of the weekend playing Grand Theft Auto, Wii Fit and Patapon. Then we had Cheeseburgers in Paradise last night for dinner. It was a good weekend.

Posted by: secha at May 27, 2008 7:03 AM

Chris... I don't mean to alarm you, but I can't find a link to the ordering form for the RudeCactus3000. I too was at the (Toronto) Zoo on Sunday, and was in dire need of such a device. Please correct this error as soon as possible so that we all may enjoy this useful invention.

Posted by: SciFi Dad at May 27, 2008 7:33 AM

What a fun time! I am thinking that I should pre-order the RudeCactus3000 now. We have about 40 days until Little Lexi arrives (I say that like she'll be coming via FedEx - even DHL would be preferred) and given that I have the patience of a mouse that chews through the maze to get to the cheese I think I'll be needing this. Any chance you can have this as an attachment to the bugaboo stroller? In my attempt to be nyc appropriate we've invested in this rediculous social statement of a stroller and I fear my husband will NEVER buy another stroller EVER.

Posted by: Cass at May 27, 2008 7:51 AM

GREAT pictures!!

It was a beautiful weekend here in Ontario too! Lots of outside fun!

Happy belated Memorial Day!

Posted by: Bridget at May 27, 2008 7:51 AM

We spent the whole weekend painting....
Was worth it in the end though
The photo's are gorgeous
Pol x

Posted by: Pol at May 27, 2008 7:57 AM

Highlight of my w/end was last night... watching Scott Weiland squirm around on stage like only HE can... totally makes my fat pregnant ankles worth it today for having sat in a seat for 3+ hours watching that!!

Posted by: Stephanie at May 27, 2008 8:09 AM

We sold our house after almost 9 months!!!!

Posted by: Shelly at May 27, 2008 8:16 AM

We also had a picnic, which involved frisbee and one tired out baby. We watched a couple movies and I mowed the lawn. Yeah, that's about it. Other than relaxing, which I actually managed to do.

Posted by: claire at May 27, 2008 8:24 AM

Our 13 year old doggy sitter had to wash her jeans after our little female went into heat all over her! Thus began the cleanup of the flood after the washer leaked! Now the laundry room carpet is cleaned and dry and all that extra washing I had to do, well, it's now washed too. It's never looked so good down there, or smelled so fresh.

Planted my vegetable garden and now I am one sore woman!

I will probably do NOTHING today!

Posted by: Maribeth at May 27, 2008 8:35 AM

We decided last night at 7:30 that we wanted hot dogs and potato chips. So our Memorial Day cookout consisted of our broiler and National Treasure 2.

Posted by: Sparkle Pants at May 27, 2008 9:04 AM

I know you must get sick of me saying this every time you post photos, but I just can't get over how gorgeous she is becoming. Especially that middle picture in the middle - the one where she's peeking out of the stroller. She looks like a child model.

Posted by: kalisa at May 27, 2008 9:46 AM

you know you torture me when you speak of DD, right? :)

Posted by: ali at May 27, 2008 9:47 AM

Same thing. ;) Enjoyed it too.

Posted by: Brad at May 27, 2008 9:50 AM

The entire nation did not visit the National Zoo this weekend. My family visited the St Louis one instead. It did seem to be a little less crowded though. Maybe some of the regular crowd went your way?

Posted by: ktjrdn at May 27, 2008 10:20 AM

Hmm.......Sat - worked, Sun - worked some more, Mon - you guessed it, worked my bloody tail off!! But I did manage to squeeze in some BBQ and random silly like behaviors with the small people.

Any table dancing for you this weekend? ;)

Posted by: Kris at May 27, 2008 10:36 AM

RAD! YAY! My New Years resolution was to bring rad back! No. Seriously. It was.

We went to the N. GA Mtns to visit family and stay in a *rad* cabin. Sunday we went to Helen, which is this little town on the river that is modeled after an Alpine Village. We went tubing down the river, ate waaaay to much pizza, drank a little beer, and spent about 60 bajillion dollars on fudge.

Totally sorry the zoo was, well, a zoo. Let me know how production goes on the RC3000.

Posted by: Mymilabean at May 27, 2008 10:37 AM

Cute photos! Saturday was a day filled with a Slip-N-Slide, wading pool and sprinklers. Sunday and Monday were spent in pain. I should have listened to my daughter telling me to wear sunscreen. Polish skin does NOT like the sun.

After you invent that stroller, could you please invent a similar contraption for cars? That would be greatly appreciated!

Posted by: js at May 27, 2008 10:40 AM

Friday and Saturday were spent cleaning and preparing for our cookout with friends on Sunday. Sunday consisted of eating way too much and playing games with said friends! Yesterday D had to work so my parents came over and we attempted to stain the fence...unfortunately, we were rained out. Today, I am paying for the fact that it was an ozone-action day and I shouldn't have been outside.

Overall a fabulous weekend actually spending time with D that didn't involve work for school or around the house.

Posted by: Krush at May 27, 2008 10:47 AM

Hung out with my friend and her 20-month little ladies man. Bought roller skates. Saw Indiana Jones. Vegged. It was glorious too. :)

Mia is soo cute! Owen not smiling, well, I'm sure he'll get to smiling soon once he figures out what the heck is going on around him. Hahah!

The last pictures of you guys, soooo cute!

Posted by: oakley at May 27, 2008 10:58 AM

Just a few observations:

One: You are STILL holding in a steady second for cutest kids alive (my cherubs, of course, have first. Period.)

Two: Beaver jokes are awesome.

Three: At least those asshats weren't trying to merge into traffic. Oh, wait, stroller merge! I feel you.

Four: Your kid has never seen the Simpsons? My kid knows the whole movie by heart. And demands to watch it daily. Yes, I am fully aware that makes you, officially, a much better parent. I will still brag, however. ;-)

Posted by: Mr Lady at May 27, 2008 12:05 PM

Great photos! Mia is growing so fast! She's a little lady now.

And do I see little Crocs on her feet? I returned Monkey's Crocs because they kept falling of his feet (even though we were advised in what size to pick). Does Mia has the same problem with hers?

Posted by: Nadine at May 27, 2008 12:56 PM

Hosted a fifth birthday party for the Puppy. To which my mother and stepfather and father and stepmother showed up for . . . for the first time ever in the same room all at the same time. It was eerie and not at all comfortable. But the weather and cake were awesome. And got fantastic warm fuzzy feelings when the nephew and niece wanted to spend the night instead of go home. I love it when I score points as the favorite auntie. : )

Great pics of the family!

Posted by: OS at May 27, 2008 12:56 PM

Planned, prepared, set-up and attended a grad party.

Collapsed Sunday.

Saw the new Indianna Jones flick Monday. Collapsed again. (Not because of the movie, which was surprisingly entertaining, but because gawd! That grad party drained me more than I thought it would.)

Great pics!

Posted by: C-Rah at May 27, 2008 1:05 PM

Bed-a-palooza... moved twins into toddler beds and then tried to make them stay put. I don't think I need to say more.

Can I pre-order that stroller? If the kids are too big for it by the time it's available, I'll use it to schlep kid gear. Or cold beer. But I MUST have it.

Posted by: PirateBikeGrl at May 27, 2008 1:26 PM

Power washed the driveway and bricks on the house, cleaned out the garage, staked the tomato plants, took the kids to the children's museum, took all the furniture out of the den and dining room to clean the hardwood floors, and took 6 home pregnancy tests.

It was all-around fun.

Posted by: Jen at May 27, 2008 1:46 PM

A very similar weekend. We went to the zoo also, although there was an incident involving myself and one of the Pandas. You see, the Atlanta Zoo allows you to "adopt" certain animals. Well I took that literally, and informed the staff that I was taking the Panda home with me for the weekend. There was quite an argument, and in the end a restraining order was placed against me.

Posted by: Phil at May 27, 2008 4:22 PM

I had an underwhelming weekend. My extra day off was spent photographing my scrapbook layouts so I could put them in my photo gallery on line. Seriously. It took me like 5 hours.

I love that last photo of you, Mia and Owen. :)

Posted by: Kate at May 27, 2008 5:09 PM

We were up at my father in law's property (6 hrs north of Sydney) for the weekend which was fabulous. Lots of sunshine, and good food and family - the perfect combo.

Posted by: Beth at May 27, 2008 6:12 PM

we had our version of that holiday a week ago but you reminded me of two memories.

one, i've been to that zoo!
yes, once apon a time i went to dc with me mums cuz she had some work stuff to do and i was homeschooled at the time. it was horrible. and very hot. and the people were very touristy and hella irritating and i think i may have given the finger to a zillion people. i was 15 and surly, and it was totally within my rights.

and two, when i was 6 my dad and i used to walk to the dunken donuts on saturdays and i'd get peach juice and a donut and my dad got something. i dont remember. i was 6.
i remember it being a lot of fun though. and my dad could say innapropriate but funny things about people and not get smacked by my mum.

im glad you had a good long weekend! and thanks for the memories :)

Posted by: Cri at May 27, 2008 6:19 PM

Well, I had 2 photo-shoots myself - fancy that! I can imagine your photo-adventures very clearly. I shot (click, not bang!) an 18-month old and her mom the other weekend and I brought bubbles along for something fun. I think I have a shot of her burping bubbles. nice.

Hope today's recovery is going well! :)

Posted by: Holly at May 27, 2008 7:47 PM

Mia looks like a real big girl now. Those are great pictures.

Me? I worked. It was actually pretty fun. Oh and I shopped. Gotta stop doing that.

Posted by: Missy at May 27, 2008 9:59 PM

Rad weekend, yo! And I can totally see the Ed Asner resemblance. Have you had a paternity test done? I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'...

Posted by: Amy at May 28, 2008 1:39 AM

Oh what awesome photos you took! (I should try using rad a little more I think, I use way too much awesome in my vernacular lately.) Looks like you had great weather too, Northern CA weather was pretty craptastic for most of the weekend until I was grilling and looked up to check our weather and discovered that there was nothing above me but beautiful blue sunny skies which allowed my little gathering of friends and their kids to enjoy my grillage outside.

Posted by: Teenuh at May 28, 2008 3:15 AM