May 9, 2008

The Weeklies #35

The Weekly Disease. Shingles.

The Weekly Observation. Shingles suck.

The Weekly Other Observation. I suck at doing nothing. Really. I try to take some time off to rest and relax and I go crazy. Perhaps this is part of the problem. A big part.

The Weekly Cookie. The peanut-butter cookies Beth and Mia made. They've got a chocolate kiss plopped on top. And, I think, a little rock of crack.

The Weekly Reads. I Love You, Beth Cooper by Larry Doyle is a fantastic read. It's hilarious and heartfelt. Go grab a copy. You won't be sorry.

The Weekly Schadenfreude. Amy Winehouse got arrested. For drugs. Again. Now, have you seen this chick lately? I don't mean to kick anyone when they're down but she is the very definition of fugly. And honestly (and I don't mean to imply that I'm hoping this because I'm not and that would be mean), how is she not dead yet?

The Weekly Hypothetical Question. Quick - the Sense Thief has arrived and given you approximately five seconds to decide which one of your five senses - taste, touch, sight, smell, hearing - you're most willing to part with. You have to give up one. Which one do you kiss goodbye? And which one is the most important to you?

Posted by Chris at May 9, 2008 6:53 AM
Comments

Smell!
I haven't the greatest sense of smell anyway so i could happily live without it
Pol x

Posted by: Pol at May 9, 2008 7:15 AM

I'd give up smell. I like to eat too much to give up taste, knit too much to give up touch, reading (and tv) too much to give up sight and gossip too much to give up hearing!
Amy Winehouse is a train wreck isn't she?

Posted by: Nancy at May 9, 2008 7:22 AM

Smell for sure.

On Winehouse, it's such a shame because she is obviously talented. But how can she keep on going like that?

Posted by: Nat at May 9, 2008 7:33 AM

Taste. Then I would have less of a weight battle!

Hope the shingles are better!

Posted by: Maribeth at May 9, 2008 7:44 AM

I'd totally give up taste. I hate food anyway, so, no loss there.

I thought about smell for a minute. But there are so many scents that bring on memories. Also, hopefully I'll have another baby someday, and damn if there isn't any sweeter smell than a baby. Well, except the poop smell. And the spit up smell. But, you know what I mean!

Posted by: js at May 9, 2008 9:07 AM

I think I'd have to go w/ taste. I wouldn't want to lose sight or hearing b/c then I'd miss out on seeing my girls grow and hearing their laughter and the "I love yous" and well quite frankly that would suck.

And I agree about the cookies - total crack, no doubt! I love them. and even have a special way of eating them :D

Posted by: Kris at May 9, 2008 9:09 AM

Cookie Crack, ah yes, the good stuff. Milk being the heroin.

I'd give up smell, in a heart beat. But I cherish my sense of sight and hearing.

Posted by: crookedeyebrow at May 9, 2008 9:20 AM

Taste! Then I could be skinny forever.
But I have to admit there are ALOT of things that I would miss tasting.

Posted by: Kelly M. at May 9, 2008 9:27 AM

I would give up taste in a heartbeat. I'm a horrible cook, and so is everyone in my family (except my grandma, but she only cooks Traditional German fare, yuck!).
I couldn't live without touch for a gazillion reasons. I was first going to say sight, but my great grandma was blind for most of her adult life and she could still rock it out (PLUS people drove her everywhere, SCORE!)

Posted by: mymilabean at May 9, 2008 9:39 AM

Smell is the one I'd give up for sure.

Sight is the most important one to me. This way I'd be able to watch my children grow up.

Posted by: Grace at May 9, 2008 9:41 AM

I'd give up taste in a second. Your sense of taste only registers a limited number of things, anyway. Its your sense of smell that allows you to enjoy food as you eat. That's why you can't taste anything when you have a head cold.

Posted by: j at May 9, 2008 9:46 AM

Probably smell, even though taste and smell are intricately tied. I'll pretend that one doesn't have bearing on the other. I think hearing is the most important to me.

Amy Winehouse is the loud, unpredictable version of Bubbles from The Wire. I love Bubbles. I'm not so fond of Amy Winehouse.

Posted by: Sparkle Pants at May 9, 2008 9:49 AM

OOOh the senses...tough one.

I can't really see anyhow (I'm a minus 16!!!), but since I paint and love all things visual art, I'd like to keep the bit of sight that I do have.

But dammit I use my other senses to compensate for my crappy vision.

I have to keep the hearing because of music and singing and pianos and all that.

Touch I have to keep because I identify a lot by texture. (Back to the eye thing. No joke I can correctly identify every single thing in my wardrobe by touch alone)

My powerful sense of smell...well, I am rather fond of it. Unless something stinks. Then it sucks.

So I would give up taste. Because most of taste is smell anyhow. I'd deeply miss my morning, afternoon, and evening tea, but...that's my choice.

Posted by: jessica at May 9, 2008 9:51 AM

I would definitely give up taste. But since I currently have my sense of taste I've just added another to-do item to my to-do list for this weekend: Make yummy peanut butter kiss cookies. They are The. Best.

Posted by: SassyPants at May 9, 2008 10:15 AM

"How is she not dead yet?" *laughing bum off*

I would negotiate with the Sense Thief to diminsh the acuity of several of my senses, rather then get rid of one entirely. Dumb them down, so to speak.

Posted by: GreenCanary at May 9, 2008 10:26 AM

I would give up smell. My best friend has had no sense of smell for most of her life (except that she can smell peppermint and eucalyptus... weird) and it doesn't affect her quality of life at all. Actually, I think sometimes it would be rather nice to have no sense of smell.
I think sight would be the most important sense. To me.

Posted by: Amy at May 9, 2008 10:34 AM

Weekly Disease: You have my deepest sympathy. Mine pales in comparison. Fatigue and exhaustion.

Hypothetical Question: I think I could do without either hearing or smell. I'm tired of listening to people, so that one would probably come to mind first. Sight is my most important because without it I couldn't read or use my camera.

Posted by: Maria at May 9, 2008 10:45 AM

I am definitely keeping my hearing. If I can't hear music, that would make things a lot intolerable. I LOVE food and for that you'll need the smell or otherwise it makes no sense.

My sight is already bad without my glasses. Go ahead and take my eyes. I'll miss it, but not going to miss it as much as any other senses.

Posted by: oakley at May 9, 2008 10:52 AM

since the sense of smell is directly tied to the sense of taste which i would NOT want to give up, i'm going to go with hearing. a lot of noises bother me anyway. and you could still learn to communicate, see your kids grow up, eat some good food and enjoy sex (if for some reason you still wanted to have it after having kids).
and i've wondered the exact same thing about amy winehouse. that girl is a disaster. she is working really hard at being the next music industry tragedy.

Posted by: kati at May 9, 2008 11:08 AM

"not dead yet?" Probably because she's still making money for her record label. When that's over, chances are there won't be as many people making sure she's not passed out in a puddle of sick somewhere. Sad really. Shame that talent seems so often to be fueled by fuckedupness.

Gah that is a hard question! I don't want to lose any of them. I guess taste, since I'd still have smell left to make up a bit for the loss. And I wanna know what the sense thief does with the senses he steals.

Posted by: OS at May 9, 2008 11:22 AM

Smell...my sinuses are so messed up I can't smell most of the time anyway!

Posted by: Krush at May 9, 2008 11:55 AM

Amy Winehouse. Dude. WTF? She was arrested on suspicion of drug use. SUSPICION? Um. Gee. YA THINK? I'm dumbfounded.

I'm giving up taste.

Here is hoping your shingles improve and you don't spend the weekend wanting to rip your arm off.

Posted by: Mindy at May 9, 2008 12:29 PM

Sight would go. Eating is far to awesome to not-enjoy, so taste and smell stay. I'm a hug junkie, so touch is out. I would go absolutely insane in a world without music, so that one I will cling to has hard as possible.

Posted by: rai at May 9, 2008 12:59 PM

Oh no, not the sense thief! I have so very little sense to begin with :P

Posted by: Heather at May 9, 2008 1:52 PM

it's got to be taste.

Posted by: ali at May 9, 2008 2:36 PM

Thanks for the book suggestion! Not that I'm not loving the Washington State Driver's Guide, but something with a little... plot... would be nice.

(re-taking drivers test because I moved here from Canada. Evil).

Posted by: Lani at May 9, 2008 3:08 PM

peanut butter cookies w/ chocolate kisses are one of our favs. Elijah & I made them as Xmas gifts (teachers, etc.) for YEARS.

Posted by: kalisa at May 9, 2008 3:17 PM

I'd give up taste... as others said, it would help with the overeating thing.

I'd say that the most important sense to me is sight. I find too much beauty in many different things to be able to easily give that sense up.

Winehouse? Yeah, how is she still alive???? I, too, called her fugly -- just last night!

Posted by: ironic1 at May 9, 2008 6:30 PM

Im sorry you dont feel good. I hope you feel better soon. Many kisses to all your family!

Posted by: That Girl at May 9, 2008 6:40 PM

hearing. hands down. which everyone who knew me wouldnt believe but really. i can live without music. but to not be able to touch or feel or see my person or future persons. i'd gladly give up hearing

Posted by: Cri at May 9, 2008 7:11 PM

wait. i forgot smell. screw smelling stuff. gives me headaches anyways.

Posted by: Cri at May 9, 2008 7:17 PM

Losing a sense by choice...that's tough. I think I'd go with smell like the majority of the others. But how I'd miss the smell of my daughter's head fresh from the bath...lilacs in the spring...Christmas trees...baking bread. Sigh.

My husband had shingles earlier this year. I thought it was quite rare but seems like tons of folks are getting it. I think there is a secret shingles epidemic. Did you get any pain drugs? You can ask for those, you know, if the pain is really bad.

Posted by: Meegan at May 9, 2008 9:05 PM

I'd give up hearing. I already know some sign language. Plus, just think how peaceful it will be between 4-6 pm when the kids are generally trying to kill each other and want me to referee - which probably wouldn't suck as much if they weren't so LOUD.

And I couldn't live without touch. Got to have hugs from those loud little monkeys.

Posted by: sunshine at May 9, 2008 10:12 PM

oh Amy Winehouse! My husband and I are trying to figure out who is a worse trainwreck - Amy or Courtney Love? Crazy, huh?

Posted by: bea at May 9, 2008 11:11 PM

Sight, not that I am happy about giving up any of them and thank you for posing that question, it made me think about how much or rather how lucky I am to have them in tact. I do not need to see when I can hear, smell, touch and taste. When lost in thought, really thinking, really remembering, my eyes are closed, and I remember smells, and sounds, people laughing, people crying. Plus, I could get a seeing eye dog and I will never have to ask the question, "does my butt look big in these jeans again."

Posted by: Shannon at May 10, 2008 2:44 AM

Dude, those cookies are indeed the best thing ever. I make them for Christmas every year.

Posted by: Dawn at May 10, 2008 10:42 AM

Hmmm, I'd give up taste-- it just gets me into trouble, anyway. :)

Amy Winehouse's parents need to step in the way Britney's dad did, and pronto!

Really relaxing can be tough, especially when you're used to being as busy as you usually seem to be. Good luck with it!

Posted by: Rachel at May 10, 2008 1:30 PM

I'd give up taste. That would make achieving and maintaining a goal weight SO much easier!

Also, I realize this is completely unrelated, but I wanted to make sure that you knew about the bills currently making their way through the House and Senate regarding copyright protection on photos. Since you take and share lots of them, I thought it might interest you. It was really cool that your mullet photo netted you some dough, but I'd hate to see any of your other works ripped off. This gal's blog sums it up better than I ever could:

P.S. Feel free to delete this comment after reading if you don't like links in your comments. :)

Posted by: Miss Yu at May 10, 2008 3:18 PM

I'll try and cheat and give up taste - smell gives you loads of your taste sense anyways!

Posted by: mamacrow at May 10, 2008 5:01 PM

I know what you mean about "resting"--I'm trying to do the same thing and it's AWFUL. You can check out my blog if you're curious to read the many expletives that I've typed about it lately :)

Posted by: Angela at May 10, 2008 8:06 PM