May 16, 2008

The Weeklies #36

The Weekly Best Idea. Taking yesterday and today off. Take that, The Man.

The Weekly Shingles Update. Breaking news - I still have shingles. The random skin thing is gone and now I'm left with the pain. It's been fun. On Tuesday I was pretty much convinced that several of my fingers were being chewed off by invisible, rabid, and angry mice.

The Weekly Reads. How Evan Broke His Head And Other Secrets is pretty much the best Nick Hornby novel Nick Hornby never wrote. It was written instead by Garth Stein and trades England for Seattle, Washington. It is the funny, heartfelt and brilliantly-told story of Evan - one-time guitarist for a one-hit-grunge wonder and his realization that he's a father. If you like Hornby, this is worth a read. Even if you don't...

The Weekly Music. You know how I sometimes lay stuff on you you've never heard of then some of you chime in later and tell me how awesome a suggestion whatever it was I recommended turned out to be? That's because I don't steer you wrong. Continuing the trend, I wholeheartedly recommend The Midnight Organ Flight by Frightened Rabbit. I know what you're thinking - who? These guys are Scotland's answer to Snow Patrol and I might go out on a limb here and say that they're as good if not better. This is a fantastic album and I honestly expect this band to blow up in the near future. Remember, you heard it here first.

The Weekly Schadenfreude. This actually has nothing to do with Schadenfreude. This is actually a feel good.

...from CNN...
Joe Biden, the chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, said that if the president disagrees so strongly with the idea of talking to Iran, then he needs to fire his secretaries of state and defense, both of whom Biden said have pushed to sit down with the Iranians. "This is bulls**t. This is malarkey. This is outrageous. Outrageous for the president of the United States to go to a foreign country, sit in the Knesset ... and make this kind of ridiculous statement," he said. "He's the guy who's weakened us. He's the guy that's increased the number of terrorists in the world. His policies have produced this vulnerability the United States has."

So, yeah, Biden was too politically incorrect to ever score a place in the White House but this proves that we need people like Biden in public service.

The Weekly Hypothetical Question. Truth or dare? You know, in general, what kind of person are you? Truth? Or dare?

Posted by Chris at May 16, 2008 8:20 AM
Comments

dare, did you know your blog can cause nightmares?

Posted by: linda at May 16, 2008 8:31 AM

I tell the truth, which is why I like to go for the dare.

Stop letting the rabid mice chew on you! (Mind over matter.)

Posted by: Poppy at May 16, 2008 8:33 AM

Truth.

Dammit.

Dare might be funner and less damaging.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at May 16, 2008 8:40 AM

I've been kind of obsessing over the Robert Plant & Alison Krauss stuff this week. So good. Will check out these Scottish guys though. I kind of like Snow Patrol. Would like them more if less of their songs sounded...you know...the same.

I'm a truth person. Because I can always lie. :D

Posted by: Sparkle Pants at May 16, 2008 8:48 AM

I'm more of a truth person. I probably have a problem where I want to tell people things but never do so when asked truthfully, I am more than willing. But I won't go doing random dare-like stuff.

Posted by: claire at May 16, 2008 9:04 AM

depends on who i'm playing with. mostly truth, but even then, some things are just not meant to be shared. what's wrong with boundaries?

i loved biden in those first few debates, and though i knew this country could never be comfortable electing someone so outspoken (read HONEST), i savored every question he got to answer.

all two of them.

Posted by: jessica at May 16, 2008 9:09 AM

Biden just got went up a few points in my book. Great quote.

Truth but I wish it was dare.

Posted by: lacochran at May 16, 2008 9:15 AM

Biden just got went up a few points in my book. Great quote.

Truth but I wish it was dare.

Posted by: lacochran at May 16, 2008 9:16 AM

I wish I was truth but I am dare.

Posted by: Tuesday at May 16, 2008 9:18 AM

Truth. I've never felt "young" enough to be the dare person, and I don't mind sharing.

Posted by: Brad at May 16, 2008 9:39 AM

Truth. Always.

Posted by: donna at May 16, 2008 10:11 AM

Dare.

Posted by: jessica at May 16, 2008 10:17 AM

Truth. What Sparkle Pants said.

Posted by: Fraulein N at May 16, 2008 10:27 AM

Truth

Posted by: Maribeth at May 16, 2008 10:47 AM

I'm confused - isn't Snow Patrol from Scotland? I'm going to check out Frightened Rabbit and then after I listen to them for a couple of weeks, I'm going to casually mention them in conversation with my boss, the music snob, and then take credit for the discovery. So thanks! (And sorry!)

RE: Biden - I think an Obama/Biden ticket would be nice. I don't know if it would ever fly, but wow, it would be nice.

Truth vs. Dare? Neither. Which I realize isn't an option, but there you have it. I think the only people who play truth or dare are either a) 12 or b) people who don't know each other very well, in which case I think it's weird to either tell them personal stuff or go do their bidding. Of course, all bets are off if alcohol is involved!

Posted by: erin at May 16, 2008 10:48 AM

Posted by: erin at May 16, 2008 10:48 AM

Posted by: erin at May 16, 2008 10:48 AM

depends on how much i've had to drink. hahaha.
no..i think i'm more of a "truth" person.

Posted by: ali at May 16, 2008 11:12 AM

I haven't picked truth since Monique made me admit that I had a crush on my 6th grade teacher while he and my 6th grade boyfriend were standing there. That's when I died. There was a lovely memorial service.

Dares are usually much more fun anyway.

Posted by: SassyPants at May 16, 2008 11:30 AM

Truth.

Nothing I won't answer if asked.

Posted by: sarah at May 16, 2008 11:54 AM

Dare, I think. But sometimes truth. Hooray for Joe Biden! Thank goodness someone is finally speaking plainly about what George Bush has done to this country. I don't understand why the Democrats aren't doing that all day long.

I love Nick Hornby! So I will definitely check out the best book he never wrote.

Posted by: bad penguin at May 16, 2008 12:12 PM

Truth, fo sho. I've got juicies.

Also, Biden is from Delaware. Guess who is also from Delaware? :)

Posted by: Mr Lady at May 16, 2008 12:31 PM

Always dare. Makes me feel like I'm living on the edge.

Posted by: Lani at May 16, 2008 12:59 PM

Truth. :)

Hey, here's your weekly schadenfreude: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1wSZBTAXRs

It's awesome!!!

Posted by: Eclecta at May 16, 2008 1:58 PM

Truth. All day.

Posted by: Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah at May 16, 2008 2:17 PM

I'd say truth because I'm always willing to share too much information on a regular basis anyway - but not if I had to answer a questions like poor "sassypants" had to back in 6th grade. I died a little myself when I read it!
Sorry about the shingles tingles. I hope it goes back into hibernation soon and never comes out again.

Posted by: Nancy at May 16, 2008 3:36 PM

I'm more hide and seek.

Ok, fine. Truth until I see what direction that is taking and if it takes a turn for the uncomfortable then Dare.

Posted by: jodi at May 16, 2008 4:12 PM

I heart Biden even more now than I did when I commented last on your blog (pre-election). I still have his handwritten thank you note.

Oh, and DARE.

Posted by: Melissa at May 16, 2008 6:15 PM

I always used to be a truth gal, since I don't typically have much to hide, but as I get older... some things I'd rather keep to myself, and really, dares are more fun anyway. So I guess I'll say dare!

Posted by: Angela at May 16, 2008 6:24 PM

So I was going to delurk to point out that Snow Patrol is also from Scotland, and I saw that someone else beat me to it...but I decided to delurk anyway. (Go me!)

Thanks to KEXP in Seattle, I already know of Frightened Rabbit, and I do agree that they are awesome. I also have a recommendation: if you like Gary Lightbody's work in Snow Patrol, check out The Reindeer Section.

Love your blog!

Posted by: Tara at May 16, 2008 6:36 PM

Definitely truth...

I heard that clip on the news. Can no one stop GWB at this? Like have Cheny pull him aside and say "dude, it's over. SHUT THE FUCK UP."

Posted by: Nat at May 16, 2008 7:42 PM

I'm totally truth. I don't have very many secrets but there are a lot of things I won't do!

Posted by: Heather at May 16, 2008 8:23 PM

Dare! Double Dog Dare quite frankly

Posted by: Dani at May 16, 2008 10:06 PM

Truth. I'm too chicken for the dares.

Posted by: Maggie at May 17, 2008 5:21 PM