May 23, 2008

The Weeklies #37

The Weekly Best Idea. The aforementioned consumption of beer.

The Weekly Reads. Ever since Stephen King wholeheartedly recommended The Ruins and it turned out to be one of the most atrocious books I've ever read, I've lost a lot of faith in Mr. King. So the fact that King ranked The Memory of Running right up there with Catcher in the Rye didn't impress me. Instead, the fact that a couple of you recommended it sold me. I'll admit, it was a damn fine book. So much so that I'd encourage you all to go out, find a copy and read about the adventures of Smithy Ide. I really don't think you'll be sorry you did.

The Weekly Music. The Weepies' Hideaway is just a nice album. It won't blow your mind or bring about world peace but it's pretty darn nice. Plus there's something about Deb Talan's voice that makes me smile.

The Weekly Schadenfreude. So, uh, Texas. Now that the seizure of those 440 Mormon kids was thrown out because of a lack of evidence, I bet you feel a little silly now. If they weren't already screwed up, I bet this helped. Uh...oops.

The Weekly WTF. Snap-on teeth. The website looks marginally professional. The television ad Beth and I saw did not. I expected Billy Mays to double the offer to two sets of chompers and throw in a tub of OxyClean.

The Weekly Quote. I guess you bump into people, and it's all about how they bounce off you. - The Memory Of Running

The Weekly Hypothetical Question. You are granted immunity from prosecution from the violation of one law for the rest of your life. What law do you decide to break and why?

Posted by Chris at May 23, 2008 6:33 AM
Comments

Gravity.

Posted by: Marshall at May 23, 2008 6:38 AM

Have you read "On Writing" by Mr. King? Great book. This from the woman who was incredibly, immensely and bitterly disappointed after reading "It".

Posted by: Debbie at May 23, 2008 6:55 AM

Posted by: Debbie at May 23, 2008 6:56 AM

Think that would have to be Bank Robbery!
Or at least some kind of theft of a huge amount of money!
Pol x

Posted by: Pol at May 23, 2008 7:07 AM

It's funny you would mention 'The Ruin's' because I was looking at my copy last night and trying to think up a creative way to dispose of it in all its heinous horrible-ness. I too lost a bit of respect for Mr. King after reading that book. I will say that the author of 'The Ruins' (whose name escapes me) wrote another book called 'Simple Plan' that was much better.
I'm with Pol on the bank robbery idea.

Posted by: Kate at May 23, 2008 7:30 AM

I completely agree the Weepies album is worth the purchase price...it's got this sound that just makes your frown go away - you're not going to bust a move here but frown=gone. Fantastic Hypothetical Question....I think I would just NOT pay taxes. EVER. Well I'd pay school tax - but that's it.

Posted by: Cass at May 23, 2008 7:31 AM

By man or God? Because my answer will vary greatly depending on yours.

Posted by: Mr Lady at May 23, 2008 8:20 AM

Schadenfreude: Christ on a Cracker. When will people think before they act?

WTF: I MUST see that infomercial. It sounds funny and I can use the laugh.

Question: I'm going to have to ditto Mr. Lady and add that my answer would change according to when I responded. I've had a ROUGH week. Immunity from man, theft of large amounts of cash. Hhmm, now that I think of it, my answer would be the same for immunity from God.

Have a great weekend.

Posted by: Maria at May 23, 2008 8:34 AM

I'm not much of a rule breaker, to be honest, and there's not much I have a desire to do - robbing a bank and having excess cash would be fantastic, but really, that sounds like a lot of work. I think I'm gonna be snide and say I would love for us to be able to stop paying child support to my husband's ex. I don't think the money gets spent on my stepson anyway, and as the law stands now, if my husband didn't pay it, he'd end up in jail. It'd be nice to have 25% of his income back. So, there's my less than popular answer.

Posted by: sarah at May 23, 2008 8:38 AM

Posted by: sarah at May 23, 2008 8:38 AM

Bank heist. I need money.

I keep seeing ads for The Weepies on iLike but never get around to actually listening to them. I will def. check them out this weekend. Have I thanked you profusely yet for convincing me to give PATD's new cd a go? Because THANK YOU. Obviously I like it.

I had a beer last night (Sam Adams Hefeweizen). It was so good.

Posted by: Sparkle Pants at May 23, 2008 8:54 AM

Speeding. I know it's boring - but seriously - how nice would it be to go 10 over ALL THE TIME.

Wow. I should probably get out more.

Congrats on coming back to beer. It's yummy.

Posted by: sunshine at May 23, 2008 9:01 AM

And now, if you'll excuse me, I'll be donning my best catsuit and robbing a Swiss bank BLIND. Preferably Bin Laden or Hussein's account.

Oh, and picking up some sparkly things on the way out, too - not in the form of handcuffs either.

Posted by: Pammer at May 23, 2008 9:14 AM

Public urination.

(Pick your favorite point above and apply my phrase to it. :D )

Posted by: Poppy at May 23, 2008 9:20 AM

I LOVED "The Memory of Running".

And.

I can't believe I read something before you did :-)

Posted by: Alissa at May 23, 2008 9:22 AM

I'd have to say theft as well. Not so much the knocking-over-banks type, though that's part of it, but more the ability to walk into any store, bag up whatever I liked, give a wave to the manager and head on home. That would rock.

Posted by: J at May 23, 2008 9:23 AM

I would break the law of gravity.

Posted by: jessica at May 23, 2008 9:39 AM

Robbing a bank AND getting to keep the money.

And DAMN people, brush your teeth once or twice a week.

Posted by: Rex at May 23, 2008 9:42 AM

oh, I love Marshall's answer! Breaking the laws of physics is good. From that standpoint, I think I'd go for time travel.

From a more literal standpoint, I think I'd choose to speed with immunity. Stealing stuff isn't really my style. I don't want to kill anyone, so I don't have to get away with murder. I do, however, like to drive fast. Or if I could break that law about carrying liquids on airplanes -- that would come in handy. I hate checking my baggage, and now they're all going to start charging us for that too.

Posted by: bad penguin at May 23, 2008 10:44 AM

Speeding. Totally.

Posted by: GreenCanary at May 23, 2008 10:44 AM

Counterfeiting for sure! I would essentially still be "working" to "make a lot of money" so I would feel all legit.

Posted by: Mymilabean at May 23, 2008 11:22 AM

Man, you're stumping me. I'm a law-follower. I don't want to kill anyone, I don't want to steal money from banks because that hurts the economy and people.... but how about the lottery? I say, if I'm smart enough to rig the outcome of the lottery, I should be able to. I'd take a million for myself, and then just pick deserving people from there on out.

Posted by: Brad at May 23, 2008 11:30 AM

I think I would want to be allowed to speed.

Seriously. That is the law I break most often anyway.

Posted by: Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah at May 23, 2008 11:52 AM

I'm not going to answer your question, but I will say this:

"Note that you will be unable to close your bite while wearing the Snap-On SmileĀ®, and this will make it difficult to speak without a lisp."

Thatisall.

Posted by: Alison at May 23, 2008 12:01 PM

Pot.

I wouldn't smoke it now, since it is illegal and I am a rule follower.....but talk about the world's best de-stresser.

Not that I would smoke it all the time, but I think it is better than the occasional beer for relaxing and shaking off stress.

Posted by: Jen at May 23, 2008 12:11 PM

Um, lump me in with the other speeders. Because I like to get places fast. Like tomorrow when I'll have approximately 10 minutes between the end of my younger daughter's soccer game in Kinburn and the start of my older daughter's soccer game in Dunrobin.

And like you, I hated the Ruins (skipped to the end to see how it would turn out and I hardly ever do that) and returned it to the library unread. I really liked The Memory of Running. Picked it up on the recommendation of another blogger and liked it.

Posted by: alison at May 23, 2008 1:23 PM

beer = good.

that is all.

Posted by: ali at May 23, 2008 1:30 PM

The whole sect in Texas, I'm trying to figure out what to make of it. I really am. It seems that clearly whatever is going on there is wrong, but fuck....

Posted by: Nat at May 23, 2008 6:36 PM

Ah beer is good - had one myself last night, an excellent way to un-clench. I was enjoying Bells Big Porch Ale, very nice.

The Weepies are awesome - I'm loving them right now.

As for the question, I've got to join in with Sparkle Pants - the bank heist for the cash. I would say speeding, but I do that anyway - all the time.

Hope you have a great long weekend.

Posted by: Mandy Lou at May 24, 2008 12:55 PM

Yeah, I'm not much of a rule breaker either. But bank robber would be good. You know I could be Robin Hood!

Posted by: Maribeth at May 24, 2008 9:43 PM

Staying illegally in your country with my family :D

Posted by: Nadine at May 25, 2008 4:58 AM

Plagiarism. Is it an actual law ? Or just a university code ? In any case, I'm a teacher, breaking copyright is unfortunately a way of life. I try to keep it to a minimum. And as a university student, I don't plagiarize, because I would get caught, but it would be easier if I did.

Posted by: Heather at May 27, 2008 2:53 AM

Homicide so I can clean out the gene pool a little. All asshats must go first then stupid people. Won't be much left, but wth, who cares?

Posted by: Red at May 27, 2008 12:04 PM