May 30, 2008

The Weeklies #38

The Weekly Favorite Word. Shart. You can figure out what words that's composed of.

The Weekly Reads. I Was Told There'd Be Cake by Sloane Crosley is one of my favorite kinds of books - a collection of very funny, real world essays based on nothing more than being a human in a strange world. I guess that's why I like blogging. Crosley is right up there with David Sedaris and Sarah Vowell - pretty good company. In his blurb on the front cover, author Jonathan Lethem summed up Crosley brilliantly when he said she was "telling the truth helplessly." This one gets a definite thumbs up.

The Weekly Music. James McMurtry (son of author Larry) is pissed and he's written an album telling you why. McMurtry's Just Us Kids is musically wonderful and lyrically scathing. McMurtry's mainly upset about the country's political landscape. It's rootsy, it's heartfelt and it's passionate. Give it a spin.

The Weekly Sign We Might Be Reading To Mia Too Much. Mia now narrates everything as if she was part of an elaborate story. For instance, she'll see a bee and say Ahhh, there's a bee, Mia shouted.

The Weekly Schadenfreude. Oh no she dint. Hillary actually implied that she could still win the Democratic nomination because strange things happen late in the primary season. Unfortunately, the strange thing she cited was RFK's 1968 assassination. Oops.

The Weekly Death. Harvey Korman, one of the funniest most underrated people ever.

The Weekly Quote. I was talking with a coworker about punching up the language in a memo we were writing. She very wonderfully said, "Don't worry. I'll Bedazzle it."

The Weekly Hypothetical Question. The world is going to end in 37 years. You and you alone know this and it is an absolute certainty. Do you tell anyone? Why or why not?

Posted by Chris at May 30, 2008 6:37 AM
Comments

Oh I love Harvey Korman (love the entire Carol Burnet gang.

Hillary needs to concede. She really does.

37 years is a mighty long time. Means I'd still have to worry about my retirement income. ;) I might tell those close to me. They already think I'm strange.

Posted by: Nat at May 30, 2008 7:42 AM

Very sad over the passing of Mr. Korman. Very funny man, indeed.

As for the ending of the world, I would tell those closest to me, so that they could indeed live out their time in the best way possible.

I wouldn't tell everyone though, cause that's crazy talk and people get locked up in bad places for that sort of thing.

LOL

Posted by: Jen at May 30, 2008 7:55 AM

Love Harvey Korman, too.

Politics in general make me want to weep for my country. This year is worse because it feels like we're so close to real changes, but it's getting bogged down already in politics as usual.

My kiddo no runs around the house giving V-Smile or PBSkids online game instructions. Mommy, which snack do you choose? Chocolate or banana? No (to the banana), not quite right, try again! Mia it totally right on track. : )

37 years? I'm not telling anyone. My family cannot keep secrets and think of what the zealots would do? Scary . . .

Posted by: OS at May 30, 2008 7:56 AM

No I wouldn't tell. Life is best lived if you live it in the moment.

Yes, I loved Harvey Korman. I will never forget the scene on The Carol Burnett Show with him as Rhett Butler and her as Scarlett O'Hara with the curtains on her back! One of the best comic segments ever!
RIP Harvey

Posted by: Maribeth at May 30, 2008 8:06 AM

I would not tell anyone about the world ending because it would probably drive up gas prices making it more expensive for me to "do everything I have ever wanted to do" before I die.

Posted by: harrylips at May 30, 2008 8:14 AM

The weekly questions sounds very Biblical. :)

Even sure things aren't sure things. Why freak everybody out? Let them live out their (un/)happy lives in peace.

Posted by: Poppy at May 30, 2008 8:31 AM

Korman made laugh so much sometimes that I cried.

Schadenfreude: She redefined foot-in-mouth disease.

Quote: Love it. I'm going to adopt it. The word bedazzle makes me smile.

Question: I wouldn't tell. The freaks would be out all day long if I did.

Have a great weekend.

Posted by: Maria at May 30, 2008 8:32 AM

Maybe you have a future writer on yours hands! That'd be pretty awesome. Btw, there's a father and young daughter who have started riding the bus in the mornings. The daughter reminds me of a slightly older Mia.

I don't think I'd tell anyone. It'd suck to be the only person who knew but I'd rather one person know than everyone because then we'd all be miserable and freaked out.

Posted by: Sparkle Pants at May 30, 2008 9:13 AM

I'd tell one person, my boyfriend, he can keep a secret. We'd move to the mountains and live off the land not worrying about anything else but having a happy 37 years.

If you told anyone, people would think you were crazy, just plain not believe you or mass chaos would insue.

Posted by: Kelly M. at May 30, 2008 9:13 AM

I *LOVE* your description of Mia narrating everything. That is just awesome. I don't think you're reading to her too mcuh - on the contrary, there's no such thing as too much and she is folding it into her own imagination and making it her own. I think that's just lovely.
Also, hysterical.

37 years? I wouldn't tell anyone at first. Then maybe a few close friends and loved ones. Maybe, you know, the people that I would want to spend the next 37 years with, living like we had 37 years left to live. Maybe quitting our jobs, wracking up credit cards, seeing the globe. Doing only what we wanted to do. I mean, do you think that you could really convince other people of this certainty anyway? Also, think of how it would change life as you know it if the whole world knew it would end in 37 years: It would become, I think, unbearable. Not a place you'd want to live. All I, Me, Mine. Make sense?

PS - Have you tried the frozen grapes yet?

Posted by: Caitlin at May 30, 2008 9:31 AM

I'm waiting on a review of Al Green's new album from you...

Posted by: kalisa at May 30, 2008 9:54 AM

i LOVE the weekly quote. i will endeavor to work it into conversation tonight at my dance class. brilliant!

Posted by: zeghsy at May 30, 2008 10:04 AM

"The Miabean is the darn cutest thing on the East Coast," said GreenCanary.

Posted by: GreenCanary at May 30, 2008 11:42 AM

Nice! I ordered "I Was Told There'd Be Cake" from Amazon two days ago. Glad to hear another good review.

Have a great weekend, Chris!

Posted by: Lani at May 30, 2008 2:25 PM

hahahahaha! that may be the funniest thing I've read this week. so it makes my weekly list. ;) have a great weekend.

Posted by: iheartnewyork at May 30, 2008 3:09 PM

I had no idea that Harvey Korman died - the wild west will never be the same.

37 years is long enough that I would have to say no - too much time for everyone else to mess up my world (not at all self-centered I know). I'd probably tell my nearest and dearest, but maybe not even them - as they are the ones that have the best potential the previously mentioned world.

I'm going to have to work "bedazzle it" into my lexicon, that's excellent - nearly fell off my chair laughing!

Posted by: Mandy Lou at May 30, 2008 5:03 PM

Haha I LOVE the narration bit! Too funny. And I've added the book to my amazon wishlist, so we shall see if the library will maybe bring it in for me :D

Posted by: Heather at May 30, 2008 5:20 PM

Why do you ask.........?

Posted by: Mr Lady at May 30, 2008 5:58 PM

re the 37 years WHO TOLD?!?!?!? And WHY are you letting everyone know?!??!?!?

Posted by: whall at May 30, 2008 6:58 PM

Not Harvey Korman! Dammit.

Thanks for the book suggestion - I'm heading to the store tomorrow and was just wondering what to pick up ...

Posted by: Melissa at May 30, 2008 7:35 PM

You've got quite the little blogger in training there...

Posted by: Dawn at May 30, 2008 9:34 PM

I foresee that when we travel through the USA this summer the #1 most asked question is going to be: "What do Canadians think of Hillary?"

Hee-that is so cute that Mia is narrating things. I think I'd be signing out more books, even!

And if the world was going to end in 37 years, I'd only tell my Hubs and Jake. We'd probably save some cash, then take off and live somewhere remote where Hub's could 4x4, Jake could survive in the wilds and I'd blog. :P (lololol)

Posted by: Scatteredmom at May 31, 2008 12:33 PM

That book looks really good! I placed a hold request on it just now at my library's website.

I love that part about Mia narrating her daily life in book-speak... :)

Posted by: Zandria at May 31, 2008 2:59 PM

Hillary Clinton is talking a lot of bollocks lately. As a Zimbabwean, it really pissed me off that she compared the situation of uncounted votes in Michigan and Florida to the recent Zimbabwean elections (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/05/22/clinton-compares-florida_n_103039.html).
Yeah, Hillary. It's EXACTLY THE SAME THING. Good lord.

Posted by: Andrea Mitchell at June 1, 2008 2:00 AM

I tell everyone. Because goofballs who spout off about the world ending are sweet.

Posted by: Black Hockey Jesus at June 1, 2008 3:32 AM

Seriously, that thing about about Mia is the cutest thing ever. I have sent that to most of my friends, heh.

Posted by: What Liz Said at June 1, 2008 4:47 PM

Shart is great. Also acceptable: foop.

Posted by: angela at June 1, 2008 9:20 PM

Glad you found McMurtry. I've been a huge fan for years. He's got one of those voices that hits me hard. I've been trying to preach his gospel for a while now, but not until this latest album do people seem to really be listening.

Check out his other stuff, too, and see him live if you can. This guy is awesome.

Posted by: Alias Mother at June 2, 2008 11:22 AM