June 2, 2008

Cannonballing In The Puddle Of Life

I'd be lying if I claimed that this was the best weekend ever. I mean, it was good. Above average, in fact. But I was in a crappy mood through much of it so I'm sure it could have been better for everyone involved. I blame the 8,961,448 things that I've somehow got to get accomplished before 3:00 this afternoon. That's neither here nor there.

So what did we do?

On Friday night we watched Lost. It was great, sure, but I'd been more blown away by some of the previous Lost season closers. Of course, despite the fact that for each question the show answers, it asks about a dozen more, I'm still hopelessly addicted to the show.

On Saturday, I woke up nice and early and mowed the grass. Damn, how suburban of me. With this newish yard, it's not a task that's accomplished quickly. It didn't help that I was simultaneously attacked by gravity and a bush. Our front yard is on a hill and it's lined, on the street side, but three large bushes. I lost my footing and the lawnmower conspired to push me right into one of the bushes. I fell on it, then into it. Luckily I cut the motor before it hit me. But it kinda sucked when the branches of the bush became lodged in my back. Hurt like a motherfucker, in fact. And left a mark.

The afternoon was focused on my niece's first birthday (fun, a mob scene) and the fact that I whipped up the most perfect summer meal ever - homemade baked beans, corn of the cob, fresh tomatoes chilled with balsamic vinegar and freshly sliced watermelon. And beer. Once both of the short people were in bed, we watched a movie (The Illusionist). Can I tell you how long its been since we've watched a movie at home? No. I can't remember that far back.

On Sunday, we all woke up early and headed to Home Depot. Owen and I both had minor meltdowns so Mia and I dropped Beth and Owen off at home and we headed back to Target where many things were purchased. Mia's new sidewalk chalk came in handy when she hung out with me outside whilst I built a new extension to our patio. For future reference, slabs of slate are fucking heavy. Especially the piece I lost control of when I had it hoisted above my head. No major head trauma, I don't think, but I seem to be randomly losing the ability to use vwlls nd nly rmmbr cnsnnts.

I'm happy to report that the weekend ended on a wonderful note that transcended my shitty mood. We filled up Mia's little pool in the backyard and we all got in. Sure, it was a little cramped because it's about five feet in diameter and maybe a foot deep. But it was fun. Then I cannonballed in it. Repeatedly. After which we had pancakes for dinner. And I had beer with them. After which Owen laughed his first, hardcore laugh. It was hilarious. It was righteous.

Posted by Chris at June 2, 2008 6:10 AM
Comments

I hate it when bushes strike...at least you were able to provide some balance to the weekend with Beer. How is that going? Do you think it's helping you find your chill?

Posted by: Cass at June 2, 2008 7:23 AM

So to recap:
1. Lost finale
2. hanging out with your daughter
3. a first birthday party
4. pancakes for dinner
5. a righteous laugh from a baby

and it was "an above average" weekend? Dude, what does it take to be a good weekend in your books? Seriously.

$2 bootie shorts? (Check my blog for that reference.)

Posted by: SciFi Dad at June 2, 2008 7:29 AM

As long as there are no permanent injuries and it ends on a happy note, I consider the weekend a success.

I took my boys to see Indiana Jones :-)

Posted by: Alissa at June 2, 2008 8:10 AM

Actually that sounds rather tame. Mine was surprisingly productive, despite the advent of hot-flashes!
After the flood of last week, I got the laundry room rearranged,
spent the day shopping with my daughter for smaller clothes (both of us have lost 35+ pounds).
Planted some green bean seeds,
and cooked an awesome dinner last night of asparagus, baked potatoes and herb roasted prime rib! I know your a Veggie, but trust me, this was excellent!

Posted by: Maribeth at June 2, 2008 8:34 AM

I'm thinking it's time to hire a lawn guy!

Posted by: daisy at June 2, 2008 8:38 AM

Sounds like a fun weekend. And I somehow cannot picture baby pool + cannonball.

Posted by: claire at June 2, 2008 8:42 AM

Sorry it was such a challenging weekend...I hate those...I can sympathize about the slabs of slate, I dropped a small one on my baby toe (not my BABY, just my baby TOE) last weekend and broke it. Ouch! Luckily the next weekend is only 4 days away!

Posted by: Michelle at June 2, 2008 8:47 AM

Glad to hear that your weekend ended on a high note.

I did absolutely nothing except laundry this weekend. I read, read, watched TV, read, and read some more. It was heavenly. And I'm taking off tomorrow and Wednesday to do more of the same.

Posted by: Maria at June 2, 2008 9:13 AM

I was incapacitated by female woes. I haven't felt this bad in years (with regard to that situation, that is) and it meant I spent my weekend in a bad mood or really sad or really sick or really in pain or really out of it. And now it's Monday. What the Hale.

But at least I didn't almost do myself in with the lawn mower. Ouch. Glad you're (somewhat) okay!

Posted by: Sparkle Pants at June 2, 2008 9:28 AM

It's amazing how something as simple as a mood can color what everyone else would classify as a fabulous weekend.

I thought you'd enjoy this weekend anecdote: We spent the bulk of the weekend (the first actually warm one around here) doing all sorts of landscaping. On the way home from Menard's, the 2-year-old pipes up from the backseat, "I want to go somewhere else." I ask, "Where do you want to go, Zoe?" Her response: "Home Depot!"

Good girl.

Posted by: kate at June 2, 2008 11:52 AM

Perhaps I should post over on Beth's blog and ask for that baked bean recipe! Next time you're in the pool and having pancakes, can I send young Johnny over? He's a well-behaved, redheaded two year old with an absolute passion for pancakes and pools.

Posted by: rebeccaeee at June 2, 2008 11:59 AM

Normally I'd comment on how poor/great your weekend was, but mainly I'd like to say thanx for reminding me to get LOST for a relative. They got a new hard-drive recorder for their HD system, it was set up wrong, and when they hit "record" it recorded a bunch of nada. So now they can't watch it, so that means I'll need to download it for them.

I'm so glad my internet is bumped up to 15Mb down and 2Mb up.

Posted by: whall at June 2, 2008 12:22 PM

Um. I think I might have paid money to see you thrown into a bush with the lawnmower.

(Does that make me sadistic?)

And I spent Sunday at the lake/beach with two of my girlfriends and five of their combined children. It was INCREDIBLE!

Posted by: k8 at June 2, 2008 1:19 PM

Oh man, I hate being attacked by gravity. It's the ultimate fail.

Posted by: Shamelessly Sassy at June 2, 2008 2:25 PM

LOST is crack. I've tried to give it up but I can't. I just keep going back. And now I need to know what the frack happened to the island! Is Claire dead? How did John die? So many questions.

And yum! Homemade baked beans! Are you willing to share your recipe?

Posted by: Lani at June 2, 2008 4:54 PM

Photos of the bush-whacking must be posted. Por favor.

Posted by: GreenCanary at June 2, 2008 5:07 PM

Oh, I love those first baby laughs!! LOVE them! And, I love almost-3-year-old laughs, too.

Glad you got through the weekend of MANY things to do! :)

Posted by: Haley-O at June 2, 2008 5:54 PM

I would never have thought of you as a regular handyman. Not sure why but I just didn't. Mowing lawns and extentions to patios? Slate?!! It's fantastic. I wish I had a handy-home project-type husband. Well done!

Sounds like a great weekend. Baby pools and baby laughs AND pancakes AND movies AND beer! Not sure what else could be added in.

Posted by: Beth at June 2, 2008 6:40 PM

Beth posted: "Baby pools and baby laughs AND pancakes AND movies AND beer! Not sure what else could be added in."

Um, how about sex??

I have a friend who, whilst mowing his lawn-on-a-slope, slipped and grabbed the nearest object to catch himself, which just so happened to be the lawnmower itself. Yes, he did mow over his foot. Good news is, he no longer has to mow, his wife hired a lawn service. Bad news, she will not allow him to take off his socks. EVER. (Except to change them, of course.)

Posted by: Peggi at June 2, 2008 7:23 PM

Yep, gravity and lawn mowers - a dangerous combo, one of the many reasons I don't mow the lawn. Glad the weekend ended on an up note.

Posted by: Mandy Lou at June 2, 2008 11:29 PM

sounds like your weekend was absolutely fantabulous! and i concur, nothing teaches you gravity like mowing... surprising isn't it? for future reference - don't take hills on a riding mower too lightly.

and, if i may... would you share your baked bean recipe? it's been one of my annual summer want-to-do's - make real homemade baked beans.

and bravo to pancakes, beer and big ol' baby laughs!

Posted by: monique at June 3, 2008 6:49 AM