June 11, 2008

Speak Your Minds

If you pay attention to the news (and frankly, I'm torn between the desire to be a well-informed individual and hiding in a land of blissful ignorance), you're continually bombarded with signs of the impending apocalypse. Or so you'd be led to believe. That's because I'm firmly convinced that the news is designed with one purpose - to scare the shit out of you. Why? Because people watch when they're scared and they need to know what they're supposed to be afraid of. If you checked out any of the major news sites online, here's what you'd be led to believe:

• Gas prices will soon reach a bazillion dollars a gallon and we'll be forced to walk everywhere.
  • Eat a tomato recently? Ooops, you're dead.
  • Rising food prices will force us into a diet of nothing but disease-ridden tomatoes.
  • The Democrat/Republican (choose one) who takes power in January will plunge the country into never-ending depression.
  • Lindsay Lohan will act again.
  • You will never be able to sell your house because it has the approximate property value of Three Mile Island.
  • If you're not lucky enough to sell your house, you'll be foreclosed on.
  • Your cell phone/MP3 player/laptop (choose all applicable) is slowly killing you.
  • Iran is somehow going to find a way to kill us all. Well, those of us not gotten by global warming, small electronics or tomatoes.

Now, you can't believe everything you hear. And I don't believe any of these things. They're sensationalized, exaggerated, spun, hyped and injected with a healthy Roger Clemens-sized dose of scareoids. Largely because the mainstream media believes that we're marginally braindead and have to be scared into finding out what's happening in the world. It's no conspiracy - I don't want to imply that. But I do honestly believe the media thinks we're pretty darn dumb.

That brings me to you. There are thousands of you out there who stop by each day. Some comment, some don't. That's cool. But I'd like to know what your biggest concerns are. Let me repeat - your concerns. Not what CNN tells me you're concerned about. What are the biggest issues in your world? Speak up. I'm really curious.

Posted by Chris at June 11, 2008 6:23 AM
Comments

This is a no-brainer for me.

Water.

If people think what is going on in Iraq is nasty, just WAIT to see what we do when we fight over WATER.

I hope to shuffle off this mortal coil before that starts happening.

Posted by: Julia at June 11, 2008 6:50 AM

I *hate* bringing politics into public forums, especially since I know you and I disagree on most politics. But one of my biggest fears is Obama being ellected. I know a lot of people love him, but... Every time I see him/hear him, my heart/stomach gets filled with dred. And I get scared. I don't know what it is about him - and it isn't because he's black. Just something about him really scares me. Do I want McCain in office? Not particularly, but at least he doesn't make me feel like I'm going to go into cardiac arrest every time I see him on TV.

The other biggest fear in my world right now? I don't really care about anything else except... I'm afraid that I won't have kids before my parents (specifically my mom) passes away. My mom's side of the family tends to pass away between 65-75. She turns 57 this year. I don't want my children to grow up missing a grandparent - because my children will hardly know their grandparent on their fathers side (as long as I stay with my current boyfriend, that is...) All my grandparents died when I was young, except for my dad's father who died in December. I want my chidren to at least know their grandparents before they pass away.

Posted by: Secha at June 11, 2008 6:54 AM

I'd like to tell you that it's the general living in the developed world/overcrowding stuff (commodity - gas, food, etc - pricing, real estate, and the like) but today it's something else.

We've got an ultrasound this afternoon where we find out if the CPC (choroid plexus cysts) they found a few weeks ago are gone, bigger, worse, better, whatever. I can't really think of anything else today.

Posted by: SciFi Dad at June 11, 2008 7:12 AM

My biggest concern every day is that the phone calls come in from people wanting to do remodel work on their home so that my husband and I have work and I won't feel like I'm having a heart attack every week when I have to pay bills. In past years I would have a few weeks of sleepless nights, now it feels like every other week.

In the world -- one of my biggest concerns is the people in the world today (in my little part of the world anyway). The lack of manners, sense of responsibility for laws, rules, common sense and decency positively horrifies me. I think all the trouble starts from right there, which starts AT HOME. Kids, who were never raised to have respect are raising kids that wouldn't know how to spell it, never mind give it. "Be the change you want to see in the world" is what I always think about and I'm trying - I started Big sistering a 1st grade boy last fall and I hope I'm having a positive effect on him. I guess it starts with one right?

Posted by: Nancy at June 11, 2008 7:32 AM

I'm worried about maternity leave - being a business owner the money stops if I stop....how long will we be able to have my income stop? What if I'm not ready but I have to be?

Posted by: Cass at June 11, 2008 7:40 AM

I am right there with Nancy about being concerned about the lack of decency/respect/order present in the lives of many today. We may not be able to do much about rising gas prices or Lindsay Lohan (god help me) but we can be nice to one another.

For me personally right now I am worried I will not ever be able to afford a home where I live (Massachusetts) and I am (trying not to be) worried about when/if I can become a mommy.

Posted by: Michelle at June 11, 2008 7:44 AM

I am honestly fearful for the future of our world, due to the rampant autism issue. My son is autistic, and yes, I am concerned about his future. But even bigger, I am concerned for the future of the world if 1 in 150 people are autistic. It isn't a good scenario. So, there have been some 'bigger than life'autistic individuals, but teh majority have some major issues, including any number of disabilities on top of the autism. Add in the aggression issues and yikes...it really and truly scares me. And it may be on tv and in the news for real, but the reason it scares me? I live it every day...I know the reality and the consequences of autism...emotionally, physically, financially...yikes!

Posted by: Tera at June 11, 2008 7:58 AM

My biggest concerns in my world is the lack of respect we seem to have for one another as well. Although I don't particularly consider myself old, I wouldn't get away with half of the disrespect to my parents or elders that it seems the youth of today gets away with, or the lack of connection we seem to have with anyone it seems. Nobody talks to ANYONE anymore. The person behind the counter at the market is zoned out they can barely say hello or acknowledge me when I come in her lane, or the person who practically runs me over with her stroller and I end up apologizing to her huh? when did we all get in such a hurry that we lost that.

I'm worried about cancer, and all the crap that is in our foods, because I really think there is a direct correlation between the two. Maybe I'm just paranoid but when you got your food from the farm you didn't have all these weird mutated cancers floating around, and now cancer seems rampant and we are eating all these foods with tons of chemicals that the goverment FDA says is perfectly safe. SURE!!!!! no thanks. Cancer is just rampant in my family and takes too many of my family members for me not to worry.

And my biggest worry is never being able to have a family of my own and just being the favorite aunt to all my friends kids..*sniffle*

Posted by: Dee at June 11, 2008 7:59 AM

I worry about money...specifically, how we will help support my in-laws and have enough left over so we can live and then still have enough to have kids and not work all the time and actually see them once in a while...

I worry that we won't be able to have kids...or that it will be such a struggle my dad will lose his fight with cancer before we do...

This is the stuff I worry about - which makes my life seem really hard - but it really has a lot of good in it - like snuggling up to my cat, spending time w/my husband, or being outside...

Posted by: Amy at June 11, 2008 8:06 AM

I worry about what kind of world we are leaving behind for our kids. What kind of life are they going to have?

I also worry about fire. Fire terrifies me and every morning watching the news about buildings and homes catching fire make me more nervous.

Posted by: Lisa at June 11, 2008 8:06 AM

Right now gas prices are high on the list... not that I believe we'll be paying a gajillion dollars, but that right now the price really is hampering my way of life.

But other than that? I worry about the world kids are growing up in today. Gangs. The media teaching little girls that you have to be a size 2 and dress like a prostitute in order for anyone to like you, and boys have to be macho and tough and... blah. I feel like we're setting up a future for our children that is nothing but grim. I also am concerned about the kids I see now who just don't care, because their parents just don't care. We're creating a really apathetic generation, and I'm not sure how to fix it.

Posted by: Kate at June 11, 2008 8:10 AM

I worry about making sure my kids get a good education. The preschools in my neighborhood cost more than I spent on my college education, and I know we can't afford private elementary schools. But I'm not exactly thrilled about the idea of sending my kids to Chicago public schools. We'll have to sink ourselves into more debt than I'd like to think about just to make sure the kids get a good education. That just isn't right.

Posted by: Kelly at June 11, 2008 8:16 AM

Specific to my world I am worried about managing a move halfway across the country with a toddler, two 90 lb dogs and two cats.

In the big picture I am worried about the environment and what a crapfest of a planet we're leaving for our kids.

Posted by: Shelly at June 11, 2008 8:29 AM

Ugh, you've totally hit on one of my major pet peeves right here: The News. Local news is by far the worst (the level of drama with which they present the most mundane crap makes me think it's really just some type of acting school). I am right there with you: I want to be informed but not bullied by all the garbage. So I try and not overdo my news intake, and what I do get, I take with some heavy grains of salt.

As far as worries in my world...finding the right job. And finding it soon. But, you already knew that!

Cheers, and Happy Wednesday.

Posted by: Caitlin at June 11, 2008 8:29 AM

Honestly, this year we actually started to have a written game plan for our finances. Before we spent pretty freely and found ourselves in debt. We have some credit cards and a student loan to pay off and so we are living on a tight budget to get those paid off in 3 years. With that gas and food prices have impacted us slightly, but not as much as the media has said for sure. My only tool to get myself out of debt is my paycheck and I am concerned that we may see a tax increase to pay for the big ideas these candidates have.

Posted by: linda at June 11, 2008 8:30 AM

Now that my daughter has passed her board exams will she find a job and finally be the happy person she once was...this worry consumes me more than I care to admit.

Posted by: daisy at June 11, 2008 8:35 AM

Money. I've spent freely the past few years and I wonder if I can rekindle the discipline to stay within a tight budget through what I foresee as the upcoming lean years.

Posted by: Gwen at June 11, 2008 8:41 AM

This has always been the environment. I have been acutely aware of the environment for many years and now with children I wonder and worry about these babies I am bringing into the world (this was the #1 reason I always said I would not have children BTW) and the world they will have to live in. The media is overboard to some degree but if you look beneath that hype there is validity to much of it. HOWEVER it scares me that people think it IS hype and just ignore it all...

Posted by: Christina at June 11, 2008 8:54 AM

I worry about finances. Last year I didn't work for several months and have completely changed the path of my career, which means that I make substantially fewer dollars. My boyfriend makes plenty of money, but I carry a lot of guilt about my reduced salary. He is happy for me, but I fear that he also resents having to carry the majority of our financial burden. We've talked about it and he says that we're good, but I'm paranoid that he is just saying that. I'm a worrier.

Posted by: Melissa at June 11, 2008 8:57 AM

I have some small worries like the rising prices of groceries and gas mileage but I think I most worry that even with a Master's degree, I won't get hired as anything better than a glorified secretary. And with the economy now, jobs are so scarce.

And you're right about the news. My husband is always saying how the newest tactic is to scare you. It's on the news, it's in advertising. It's like we can't just tell the truth anymore, we have to fear.

Posted by: claire at June 11, 2008 9:09 AM

Health care and the stigma attached to depression/psychological disorders. Our current situation finds us in a potentially dangerous place: someone with an array of psychological illnesses and no insurance, which means no therapy and no meds. We are fortunate enough that I am able to work but what about all those people who can't? What about all those people who don't have anyone but themselves? They find themselves living on the street because they can't work, they can't get help...they lose everything they have. Help is THERE, in most cases, but is so unattainable.

So yeah, health care. I think it's my biggest concern at the moment.

Posted by: Sparkle Pants at June 11, 2008 9:15 AM

Honestly, I'm concerned about the economy (as I'm trying to break into the job market), the environment, and my future when I do get into this job market and have to retire 80 years later. I guess that can tie in with the economy. I'm also worried about the fact that I'm an only child and the burden of taking care of my parents is going to fall solely on me. I don't mind that, but it does worry me.

Posted by: Stephanie at June 11, 2008 9:15 AM

Right now, and it sounds so foolish..but I worry I won't meet the right person to become my partner/husband/father of my children.

Posted by: Diane at June 11, 2008 9:16 AM

I worry because my oldest will be 18 in 10 1/2 months and he wants to join the military.

I worry because my youngest has never known a day of her life without our country being at war.

I worry because I know the day is coming when I won't be able to protect them anymore...that mom won't be able to make everything all better.

I worry because I'm at a point in my life where life is good and the last time that happened I found out I had cancer so now I wonder what next?

I worry because we've become a country obsessed with gas and material objects and none of that really matters when you get that phone call and I wonder if we'll ever 'get it' or if we're doomed to forever care more Lindsey Lohan then our own children, our families, our passions...

and :P at you Chris for making me cry this early in the day but I guess I needed it.

Posted by: fauve at June 11, 2008 9:21 AM

What other self induced mess can this country get into? I mean would gas prices really be so inflated if the media did not over exaggerate or if the politicians decided for once to take care of their own before enabling others to advance?

I would like to think most people can see beyond the tactics of the media but I know there is a good portion of people who cannot, what kind of artifical chaos is this going to create, it could destroy communities as people slowly get greedy,despressed, and the like to ensure they can provide for their families.

Lastly - are these current events an effort to sort the classes of people and dissolve the working middle class - if so I better win the lotto so I can be upper class or just quit being a contributing member of society and freeload.

Hope you still talk to me after this comment! :-)

Posted by: Steff at June 11, 2008 9:24 AM

My biggest concern is the size of my ass. lol.

Posted by: DeAnna at June 11, 2008 9:36 AM

Do you know how much it costs in gas to drive to the city to pick up a hooker and then drive to the country and pick up a midget and a goat?

I need a hybrid.

A hybrid like maybe a really small goat that can turn tricks. Dwarf/goat/whore. A Dwhorfgoat.

Then I only need to drive to one location.

Posted by: William at June 11, 2008 9:38 AM

If you truly want to know, Severn Suzuki, 15 years ago and only a teenager said it best. I'm truly scared about what we do, and what we leave behind:

Posted by: Martin at June 11, 2008 9:41 AM

I wasn't worrying about anything until I read all your readers' comments. Now I'm worrying about EVERYTHING.

Posted by: GreenCanary at June 11, 2008 9:48 AM

The Lindsay Lohan line made me crack up.

Selling my house next Wednesday after 8 months on the market! There is hope, even in this depressed economy.

Posted by: Poppy at June 11, 2008 9:58 AM

Who ate my PB&J sandwhich?

Posted by: jessica at June 11, 2008 10:03 AM

I worry about my kid riding with teenage drivers.

I worry about drugs, and smoking, and drinking, and unprotected sex.

I worry about my husband losing his job.

I worry about crazy drunk drivers hitting us on the streets of memphis where no one really knows how to drive all that well sober.

I worry about fraternity hazing, and my son's only a sophomore in high school (I like to plan ahead).

I worry about my aged in-laws. And what the first death is going to do to my family.

I worry if our retirement account is growing fast enough.

I worry that our outside dog isn't being treated as well as the inside one.

I worry that I waited too late in life to start exercising.

I worry that a former employer will give me a bad reference and I'll never get a job.

Who needs the news? I do pretty well worrying about things all on my own.

Posted by: kalisa at June 11, 2008 10:09 AM

People dying needlessly.

Beyond that... well... the environment.

Other than that, well. What's the weather going to be tomorrow?

Posted by: Hannah at June 11, 2008 10:16 AM

As a former mainstream media member, I can tell you that we are basically told to write for a 7th grade intelligence level to make sure the widest possible audience can read it. Sad, huh?

As for my fears - for me personally, I worry every day about having enough money put away for my golden years. Money to live on. Money to cover medical expenses so my kids don't have to worry about it. That sort of stuff.

For my kids, I worry about what kind of world we are leaving for them. Will they be able to afford to get a good education, will they be able to find good jobs, will they be able to survive the problems we are creating for them.

Posted by: Traci at June 11, 2008 10:30 AM

Very thought provoking! I worry that my husband worries too much. I worry about my sister having her baby in a couple of months and how a preganancy with diabetes and depression will affect her postpartum... I worry about my parents' health. I worry about the overall state of the economy...I don't know where I read/heard this, but I can't worry about what I can't control - so I am trying to focus on I CAN do...It isn't always easy, but I'm trying!

Posted by: Sue R at June 11, 2008 10:33 AM

My husband is in the military and my biggest concern at the moment is that his job has been moved. Long story short it's a hefty commute on our pocketbook. The only out for us is a promotion which deploys him almost immediately. Needless to say we are seriously in the think tank right now. Been through deployments before but never one by choice...and all because we can't afford to drive to work????? If anything happened to him I don't know that I would ever be ok knowing we willingly sent him over ...for the sake of the almighty dollar. I think I'd rather live humbly ....and poor with my children and my soldier home safe and sound.

Posted by: Chris at June 11, 2008 10:42 AM

I worry that Obama WON'T be elected and our soldiers will continue to die for a completely useless war, while our country goes deeper and deeper into debt to China, who is currently paying most of our Iraq bills for us. Fiscally responsible, my ass.

I worry about the environment and global warming and wonder if my grandchildren will have a decent planet to grow up on.

And more personally, I worry all the time that when my husband travels, something will happen to me and my daughter will be alone and uncared for, for hours on end until it dawns on my husband that he hasn't heard from me in a while and should maybe send someone over to the house. That thought actually keeps me awake at night when he's gone.

Oh, and we're having dinner guests on Saturday and I have NO idea what to make for dinner.

Posted by: donna at June 11, 2008 10:46 AM

The baggage retrieval system they've got at Heathrow.

Posted by: Mr Lady at June 11, 2008 10:49 AM

Children...I am a special education teacher and was LAID OFF becasue my fucked up state (am moving HOME to St. Louis, MO) has decided to cut programs, teachers, and a trillion other things because they decided to build a brand new sports complex, schools, and other BS things and it put them into 1.7 million dollars worth of debt. OK great...it sucks for me...but um the students?? HELLO??
In retrospect to this my Three Mile Island due to having to relocate BACK home to Missouri after less than a year living here (moved here for this job). Oh and throw in my 5 month old oblivious wonderful first born and wow...you ask my concerns?

Posted by: Cheryl at June 11, 2008 10:49 AM

Posted by: Cheryl at June 11, 2008 10:55 AM

Posted by: Cheryl at June 11, 2008 10:57 AM

There's at least one 8-year old in NC on the sex offender registry. A little research concludes that he's there because he squeezed his 3rd grade teacher's breast. So, he'll be advertised as a violent sex offender for the rest of his life due to the sexual assault charge. I'm not kidding. This begs the question of how many other 'violent' people are on this registry, lacking any history of violence, but advertised as such in order to garner votes for politicians who are 'saving the children from dangerous people' and employing the lowest common denominator in the criminal justice system expressly for 'keeping tabs on society's most dangerous criminals'.

Horseshit abounds through the exploitation of fear.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at June 11, 2008 11:00 AM

My biggest worry is that my kids will grow up and become something besides the well-adjusted adults I want them to be.

Posted by: Rex at June 11, 2008 11:01 AM

My concerns are many, but mostly about the direction our country has been heading for some time. Generally, I feel that too many of us are self absorbed and not into community and helping others like previous generations were. I feel far too many sit on the sidelines, don't get involved and are ignorant about what's going on in the world and here.

I worry that Senator Obama is going to be his ass kicked and our country will sink even lower in the world; I will likely vote for Senator Obama, but I won't be happy about it. I feel the guy is too green. Time will tell.

We don't understand the world and how most of the world lives. In general, Europeans consume much less and their apartments and homes are much smaller. I'm reminded how much Americans consume and waste every time that I visit Europe. Their lives are so different from ours.

I worry that if the skyrocketing gas/inflation continues, untold numbers will be left behind, loose their homes and their way of life. I worry about the poor and the middle class loosing their safety net.

I worry about the children and how our education system seems inadequate compared to the most of the world.

I worry that our old home isn't going to sell because our old neighborhood is full of short sales and foreclosures.

I worry that by the time we wake up on the environment, it will be too late to fix. I feel that far too many can't even do the easy thing and get the recycling bins for their homes.

Posted by: Diane at June 11, 2008 11:10 AM

For me it's a tie between health care and consumerism.

Health care because our crapped-out system is now affecting absolutely every part of our economy and our lives. We've got ourselves in a hideous cycle of rising costs-more unhealthy people-more rising costs. It's destroying businesses small and large, tanking muncpial and state budgets, and bankrupting hardworking people. And what really worries me is that no one (NO ONE) at the policy level actually seems to be interested in coming up with a plan to fix it.

Consumerism because we are just drowning in stuff and debt. So much stuff and debt. And we've been led to believe that the answer is more stuff and more debt. And I just can imagine the future when we are all buried in all of this (plastic/metal/electronic) STUFF that we never needed in the first place.

Posted by: Alias Mother at June 11, 2008 11:27 AM

I'm worried about the planet and not just 'cuz Al Gore tells me to be. I'm worried when I see people chugging at their water bottles and burning their trash and throwing their soda cans in the garbage rather than a recycle bin. I worry when I see people watering their lawn all day ever day (seriously, I have a neighbor who does this - HOURS upon hours of water waste so his freakin' lawn looks pretty? Hello, we had four days of rain, mister - turn the sprinkler OFF!).

I worry about the state of education - I think No Child Left Behind did a number on the quality of our schools, and now I gotta send my kids out into this clusterfluegel of school mess.

I worry about all the processed foods and high fructose corn syrup being iN EVERYTHING (we're really trying to avoid it if we can). I worry that as well as I feed my kids at home, at school, the nutrition options are horrendous. They really feed kids crap at school.

I worry about the mean little girls who tell my 6 yr old daughter she is going to hell because she doesn't pray. I don't have a problem with religion - I have a problem with the people who have a problem with my child not being religious and our family not being religious. Another crop of close-minded people that cannot be content to let people believe what they believe without issuing commentary on it. Why can't people teach their kids that we are entitled to believe what we WANT, and that if we all believed the same thing, if we were cookie cutter people, it would be a pretty fucking boring place to live?!?!

I worry a lot about a lot of things. People tell me I think too much.

Posted by: sarah at June 11, 2008 11:45 AM

Honestly? That my 2.5 yo doesn't know his ABCs, and that one day he will start understanding when kids are mean to him.

I try not to worry about those things upon which I can have little to no effect, but those two are pretty big right now. Silly, I know. I guess I'm a simple person with simple concerns.

Posted by: heels at June 11, 2008 11:51 AM

I worry that y'all might discover that William's comment made me laugh so hard I almost peed my pants.

Posted by: sunshine at June 11, 2008 11:54 AM

My concern? In Canada we are paying the equivalent to $5.30 a gallon for gas, and seriously it is in our backyard. $65 to fill a VW Beetle? Blah.

I worry that I won't have a perfectly heathy baby the second time around (although there is NO basis for this worry).

I worry about my patients, a lot. And I really shouldn't take it home with me.

I also worry about all the fucktard kids out there and hope my son will never become friends with any of them. In fact I am so getting him suspenders, pants that are too short and making him play trombone in the band. Hopefully then he will be such a dork that he only hangs with other dorks. So what if he gets his ass stuffed in a locker?

Pretty big plan for a 2 year old I know.

Posted by: Sleepynita at June 11, 2008 12:01 PM

Healthcare. I'm always worried about it, which is funny because I've almost always had it. But a lot of people don't. And those that do pay obscene amounts for it. My insurance company tells my doctor what medicines they'll cover, even if they're not the best ones for me. I have friends that have to borrow money so they can go to the cheap clinic, pay a couple hundred dollars so they can get antibiotics to treat an infectious condition that might affect everyone around them. And those are the people lucky enough to have some sort of healthcare available to them.

Unemployment. My boyfriend has been out of work since February due to a layoff and has only had 1 interview for a job he isn't even remotely qualified to perform. We were looking at bringing in roommates and eating Ramen until his mom offered to move us someplace where there is more work. This means I'm leaving my job of almost 9 years and the place I was born and raised. I'm excited and change is good, but it means moving. And packing. And looking for another job. When there are unemployment issues.

Posted by: rai at June 11, 2008 12:03 PM

I also worry that my Mom is lonely since my father's death and that she will never start looking for someone again.

I stress daily over Stewart's mental health which has broken down once quite severely, and I live in fear of another major depression from him; especially now that we have 2 kids.

Posted by: Sleepynita at June 11, 2008 12:07 PM

Ha, I just wrote a whole post about this the other day. I don't watch the news--no channels on my television--but I worry constantly about food shortages, and the damage we're doing to the environment with our giant carbon footprints, and what all the chemicals we use are doing to the water and the fish, because everything goes to the fish eventually and then we eat the fish or use the same water to water our plants. And I worry about what the toxins in plastics are doing to me and my eventual children and my eventual grandchildren.

I worry that people are too selfish to care about how completely their actions are tied to everyone else's in the world, and that by the time we all realize it it'll be too late. I worry that we smash everything without thinking because there's always been enough things around to smash that we haven't had to concern ourselves with the shards building up around our feet.

I'd worry myself into chemical intervention, if I wasn't so afraid of chemicals.

Posted by: samantha at June 11, 2008 12:28 PM

my biggest concern now is the housing market. im trying to buy a house and debating every day whether now is good to buy or is it better to wait. its agonizing. if i buy now will my house be worth crap in a few months??? ugh, the migraine is returning. thankfully i have a new bottle of Cabo in the house.

Posted by: madmom at June 11, 2008 12:41 PM

Posted by: madmom at June 11, 2008 12:42 PM

Intolerance. And the stupidity that comes with it:
* Being rude to people because of a lack of English fluency. Or worse, taking advantage of them due to that.
* Narrowly defining marriage by biblical standards while still claiming to believe in a separation of church and state.
* Et cetera.

Posted by: Megan Sohar at June 11, 2008 12:59 PM

I guess my biggest concern is the rising price of everything...gas, groceries etc. We own a small business and our paycheck (or distribution) is dependant on the general public. We would like to continue to make money and stay afloat.

I can't let myself worry about the big picture or I would never leave my house.

On the other hand, I worry that my kids will drive me stark raving mad before the summer is over (and they have been out less than a week!)

Posted by: kali at June 11, 2008 1:05 PM

Globally, it's overpopulation. People don't realize that we're growing at an astounding rate. I think it'll get really horribly ugly and dark at some point when reproduction becomes illegal, and all of the grey lines created will de-evolve people to animals.

Locally, I have no worries for myself. None of those things mentioned will stifle my career, family life, or play. I really only worry about debt in America. We are on a plan to be completely debt free in 10 years (house included) and I wish everyone could see the power of that plan. We'll never borrow money again, including credit cards.

Posted by: Brad at June 11, 2008 1:13 PM

Amen.Last year it was bird flu, this year tomatoes.
Though he tomato story is new to me. Maybe they got inspired by that horrible 80s movie (Attack of the Killer Tomatoes! :)

Posted by: Nadine at June 11, 2008 1:16 PM

That something bad will happen to the children I don't even have yet, or the kids I've cared for (and loved) over the years.

Posted by: Jessica Davenport at June 11, 2008 1:21 PM

Posted by: Jessica Davenport at June 11, 2008 1:21 PM

I am concerned that I will have to throw all of my TVs away by 2009 because they will be obsolete. I kid, I kid.

Seriously? I'm concerned about the current state of our healthcare system and the possibility of a government-run system. I have some Canadian friends that do agree that certain preventative care that is avaliable to them is a blessing. The downfall, however, is that when faced with a serious illness the rich can afford to be treated in the US and the lower/middle-class will die waiting for treatment.

Posted by: Mymilabean at June 11, 2008 1:35 PM

I actually worry more about a random asteroid collision or accidental release of a plague than anything else. Can you tell where I get my news?

Posted by: croutonboy at June 11, 2008 1:42 PM

My biggest fear right now is a Britney Spears comeback tour!

That and the weird ass weather we have been having here lately.

Posted by: Jeff A at June 11, 2008 1:45 PM

*death
*spiders
*ozone layer depleting beyond repair
*clowns
*dolls

Posted by: Amber at June 11, 2008 1:50 PM

Currently...the biggest 'fear' is...

...the location the overseeing 'agency' wants to move my department to. It has historic status, so it can't be torn down, but should be deemed perpetually condemned. Our current location is bad enough, but that place makes this one look like a palace!

Posted by: Christina at June 11, 2008 2:24 PM

Let's see...

#1 -- The rampant lack of respect/responsibility displayed by the general public towards others. What ever happened to being nice or doing something as simple as holding the door for someone else, or hey, taking responsibility for even the little shit you do??!??? I could go on for hours on this. All I know is that I will do everything in my power to raise my children to BE respectful to everyone and to TAKE responsibility.

#2 - Cancer. Need I say more?

#3 - Having a healthy baby or two. I'm 37 now and will be at least 38 by the time I get around to having my first. Having lost 150 lbs., I also worry about what the baby weight will do to my psyche and my body. I was very overweight for so long that it just might kill me mentally to put it back on, even if it is for a baby. I believe I'll be looking up a local psych before too long for this....

Those are the biggies that I worry about now. There are smaller fish to fry, but I've gotta stick with the big ones at the moment. Hey, thanks for asking!

Posted by: ironic1 at June 11, 2008 2:34 PM

Getting along with my sister; we've been fighting fabulously lately and it eats me up.

Having children. Raising them well. I stop by because you and Beth seem to be doing really well in this area!

Posted by: Sarah at June 11, 2008 3:50 PM

Wow...there is so much to worry about.

I actually worry about death/dying.

My children dying.

Someday being fat enough for one of those obesity shows.

Cancer of all types.

And finally, I worry that our country will become so PC that God won't even be allowed in our own homes and churches. Preachers won't be able to preach God's word, and that freedom of religion will be trampled on by the "freedom to hate religious people and all they stand for."

I am no picketer, protester, but I have strong convictions and vote my conscience.

I also worry that my children will be subjected to teachers that can't spell, speak, or teach properly...and who go on blogs and use the F word.

I worry that in the process of being PC and all-accepting, that our country will lose respect for the institution of marriage. (What little respect seems to be left.)

I also worry about the people out there who take the news as gospel truth.

Finally, I worry that my husband's career will come to a screeching halt and we will be forced out of our home. (Being a realtor is a scary place to be right now!)

The Maid

Posted by: becky at June 11, 2008 4:08 PM

I also worry about dumb people who use the word finally twice in one post...duh, don't you know what that word means?

Sorry...
The Maid

Posted by: becky at June 11, 2008 4:10 PM

How am I gonna pay for daycare and my mortgage? We need the whopping $700 a month I clear after we pay for daycare to make ends meet. But, is $700 really worth putting my 2 kids in daycare for 9 1/2 hours a day!?

Posted by: Mommy X 2 at June 11, 2008 4:32 PM

I worry a lot about money, how long it will take to pay off my student loans, if I'm making good choices. If my mom will ever stop smoking.

I'm wondering if my sisters will ever talk to me again, if I'll be able to put my career on hold for kids..

I worry a lot

Posted by: Dani at June 11, 2008 5:16 PM

Far and away, my biggest fear is that something dreadful will happen to one or both of my children. And that even if they make it to adulthood unscathed, they will only inherit a ruined world.

Posted by: citizen of the world at June 11, 2008 5:29 PM

-paying for college for my daughter next year.

-filling up my gas guzzling soccer mom van.

-clowns.

Posted by: Procrastamom at June 11, 2008 6:01 PM

I believe only what I see with my own eyes and then sometimes it's hard to believe even that.

I worry about our children as a whole.

the rest will soon fail if we don't take care of our children.

hugs, zissy

Posted by: Zissy at June 11, 2008 6:10 PM

I try to live in a bubble as much as possible when it comes to the tomato/weather/politics/gas price stuff. My biggest fear right now is that I won't do a good enough job raising my kids. I worry that they won't be kind, happy, smart adults. I'm a stay at home mom and directly responsible for most of their input each day. Do I teach them enough, do I spend enough time with them? Basically, I worry that I'm not a good mom.

Sometimes when I watch the news I feel like the world is ending and I hate that my kids will grow up with that on the news each night. Like I said, I try to live in a bubble and not worry about that stuff.

Posted by: Mutt at June 11, 2008 6:55 PM

I am terrified of all the people out there not parenting their children. Those people who are so selfish that they are creating this constant flood of broken minds coming into our societies. The kind of parents who raise bullies or worse. Or those who are given no choice. Because of war, famine . . . All those broken people. Countless children tied to beds in orphanages. The child porn industry. So many children just lost.

And we are bitching about gas prices that are already what, half that of other nations? I love America, but believe that we are largely spoiled brats. We're the Veruca Salts of the planet. Which leads to me being terrified of what is going to happen between now and the point in time where it will be too late to wrestle our planet away from big business. I hope it hasn't already passed. Now we are starving people in underdeveloped nations because we are diverting so much grain into fuel production? The combination of that and the cost of oil has driven food prices so high that now larger and larger numbers of people are facing starvation. It makes me want to run SUVs off the road with my little bitty Honda. But I'm really no better, I can't remember the last time I actually had to do without anything I needed or even wanted. Too many fat bastards who are trying to get their piece of the planet raping pie before they do what's right. How quickly we have forgotten the Great Depression. We do not need more oil. We need to grow up and live responsibly. Teach our children to be decent human beings. And stop trying to win everything.

Oh, and when are we actually going to have an election that actually feels like an election? I fear our government really is beyond our grasp. Is it really a democracy? I'm honestly not sure. And I was not hoping for Hillary. I just get so confounded on all the comparisons of actual votes to the delegate and super delegate and that whole electoral college process. Can't we just count the damned votes?

So, I'm afraid of the government, the planet and all the people on it. Holy crap . . .

Posted by: OS at June 11, 2008 6:55 PM

My biggest concerns?

1. Making it through a closed-door meeting without a panic attack.

2. Losing ten pounds.

3. Knowing when the time is right to start a family.

Posted by: Jenn Benn at June 11, 2008 8:36 PM

I think some of my fears come from being in grade school during the Cold War, and learning how to build bomb shelters and hiding under our desks in preparation for nuclear assault. But... Here are the things I've always thought would happen in my lifetime.

1. A major earthquake in the Midwest.

2. California will fall off into the ocean via earthquake.

3. Super Flu - ala Stephen Kings "The Stand."

I don't know why I think those things are going to happen, but I do. And I always know who I'm going to go with should said disasters occur. Today, it's my co-worker Tami, who knows how to kill animals, skin them and cook them and her family, because they're practical. I'd die on my own in a natural disaster!

It may seem like I take this lightly, but it's at least a weekly thing that I get into disaster preparedness. I wish I could do something with that for my job, I'm totally into it.

Posted by: k8 at June 11, 2008 8:42 PM

i'm concerned that my barista is giving me whole milk instead of skim milk. ever since i saw that they were doing it to the Olsen's...i'm convinced they are doing it to me too. hahaha.

Posted by: ali at June 11, 2008 8:43 PM

The health of our oceans and aquatic wildlife. I am deeply concerned about Sharks (they are nearing extinction from shark finning), seals and whales.

...Is Lindsay really going to act again? Is it a Disney movie?

Posted by: Lani at June 11, 2008 10:35 PM

Currently--that a tornado is going to kill everyone I know and love. And level the city.

Posted by: Angela at June 11, 2008 11:57 PM

I'm a day late, but I hope it is okay for me to chime in.

My concerns:
Rising food/gas/everything else prices.
Ditto Jeff A. I think Mother Nature is trying to kill us all.
Ditto Julia. Water. It has always been precious and every day it appreciates.
That I'm getting old and I'm going to die alone.
That I have abnormally large breasts for my body size. (I'm 4'11", 115 lbs. and wear a 32H.)
The bird flu.
That MTA is robbing us blind and wants to raise the fare again.
Ditto Nancy and a few others. That people thought our generation was in the crapper, but I think this current generation (teens to 20-somethings) are already dead.

Posted by: Maria at June 12, 2008 8:38 AM

I worry that when I am dying I will look back and regret all the time in my life I spent worrying about things I could not control.

Posted by: Kelly M. at June 12, 2008 9:36 AM

I worry about everything. I also listen to the news a lot. Now I'm worried that I'm listening to the news too much.

Seriously, I worry about what the world is going to be like when my kids are adults. Will the environment be completely ravaged? Will there be any natural spaces left for them? I worry that they'll be burdened with a tax rate (the debt from this war fueling a lot of it) and cost of living that prevents them from living a decent life.

I also worry about Lyme disease. Ticks are a huge problem where I live and I find them on us/my cats weekly. Gross.

Posted by: Kimberly at June 12, 2008 10:51 AM

Most of my worries revolve around money - having enough to pay my bills and take care of my parents.

I also worry about our food supplies - there's been more and more reports of e coli or salmonella in our food. Quality of food is going down, price is up. We have a very small yard and are talking about making the whole thing a garden so that we don't have to worry about where our food is coming from anymore. I need to find out what the rules are about farm animals in the city limits - a couple chickens shouldn't be a problem, right?

I'm really afraid that our economy is going to tank and that we won't be self-sufficient enough to survive. Fortunately, my husband is a hunter/fisherman, so I believe that we'll be okay, but I still worry about it.

Personally, I don't watch the news or read the papers. I agree that the news people use scare tactics to raise their viewer/readerships and I'm just not interested.

Posted by: Sherri at June 12, 2008 11:30 AM

I worry that the media has the power to make us sheep believe anything they want us to believe. I just read David Baldacci's latest, The Absolute Truth, and it dealt with this subject.

Now that doesn't automatically put me into the conspiracy-theory category (at least not in the upper percentile, I hope) but we need a healthy dose of skepticism and realism to understand that not everything we see/hear is true.

The saying "there's a sucker born every minute" might have been around for a long time, but with the availability of the internet, that's just more pull to suck those poor suckers in, faster and faster.

Posted by: ie at June 12, 2008 1:06 PM

I hate to say it, but a lot of people are that dumb. :(

Posted by: Debra at June 12, 2008 11:53 PM

I had to stop reading peoples fears, it was freaking me out ! How are you doing it Chris ?

Mine is general consumption. All the plastic I bring home when I buy groceries. All the paper that gets 'recycled' (I say that because it takes energy to recycle). Water. Because I know that my country's in trouble when yours runs out.... Not that we shouldn't share, I just don't see it going down nicely.

Posted by: Heather at June 13, 2008 5:41 PM

1) that one day my or some one in my family's body may fail us. (can u tell i am a hypochondriac???)
1) That children today lead very closed lives with very little outdoor play and my 3 year old too will succumb to this and be a video-game/TV child, something i have always dreaded.
3) That my 3 year old will be an only child and will lose out on the experience of a sibling. i would love to have two kids but am not strong enough to go through another pregnancy, physically or otherwise, and seriously where is the time? i need to work full-time and with that, i don't think i will be able to do justice to raising more than one child.

Posted by: NM at June 14, 2008 2:14 AM

I maybe being silly but I live in England and it's starting to feel a bit claustraphobic, so I worry sometimes about overcrowding and having too great a population for our resources on this island.

I worry a bit that I'll never be able to totally fix my shouting problem.

I worry about the connection (or lack of it) between me and my eldest son (in the charming preteens hormone frenzy)

Posted by: mamacrow at June 14, 2008 4:02 PM

my biggest concern: daily anxiety over my parenting skills and if I am raising my kids well enough to make them turn out to be good, polite, loving, kind, intellegent people who will do well for themselves, be happy, and still want to come around me and my husband when they are older.

Posted by: 4benders at June 14, 2008 8:57 PM

I went to the land fill yesterday, here in Alaska, I live where there is one way in,one way out. I cried the whole time I was there. We need a better system.. I recycle, all of my friends do. It's just not enough... We are killing our ground, our earth... that keeps me up at night. Full of worry and concern for my childrens future.

Posted by: martina at June 16, 2008 12:55 AM

It's known that cash makes us free. But how to act if one has no money? The one way only is to receive the loan and just auto loan.

Posted by: HaleyHUFFMAN21 at September 21, 2010 2:00 PM