June 16, 2008

The Father's Day Recap

Father's Day weekend was not relaxing. That's not to say it wasn't fun. It was. But the two kids ganged up on us and managed to keep us awake over the 48 hour period. That's why we're not having a third. We'd be outnumbered and hopelessly screwed.

On Saturday, Mia and Beth had a girls' day out which left me with a rather grumpy Owen. And by grumpy I mean pissed. Given the choice, I think he'd have preferred the one of us with the fully functional breasts and mad lactation skills to stay at home. But it didn't work out that way. I survived the several hours of screaming - though I'm sure there will be flashbacks and some residual post-traumatic stress - until Mia and Beth arrived home. Then Beth's mom arrived, allowing Beth and I to flee screaming from the house run out, grab lunch and get some errands done. No, that's not code for checked into a motel and got busy. We're actually more likely to check into a motel and have a nice wholesome nap. e did neither. After the errands, we headed home, time miraculously disappeared the way it so frequently does, and it as time for the kids to go to bed.

Which they did. It's just a pity it didn't stay that way.

It's par for the course for Owen to wake up in the middle of the night. He's an infant. And he's obviously trying to bulk up for the World Baby Sumo Wrestling Championship. But the fact that Mia was, for some odd reason, awake from 12:30 to 5:00 on Sunday morning was a little unexpected. I drifted off in her bed a few times but every time I awoke, it was to a startlingly awake Mia. She finally relented and humored me when my last idea was something along the lines of "You call those eyes closed? These are closed eyes [closes eyes]. Now, close those eyes pronto and please for the love of god fall asleep." Like I said, she eventually humored me and I stumbled back into my own bed for a few hours of sleep.

I was awakened to the same, now-perky Mia climbing into bed with me wishing me a happy Father's Day. And it was. Because despite the lack of sleep, the vomit-encrusted t-shirts, the lack of two spare minutes to rub together and call my own, I'm damn proud to be a father to these two kids. In my mind, there's only one nobler profession - a mother. So I ate my blueberry pancakes with pride and treasured the homemade Father's Day card as though it was the Hope diamond, proof of the Loch Ness monster's existence and directions to Jimmy Hoffa's whereabouts. Sure, it sounds cheesy, but the love of my kids - and Beth - is the most valuable thing in the world to me.

But a little sleep would be nice. I'm just sayin'.

Posted by Chris at June 16, 2008 6:28 AM
Comments

Yes, Sweetie, Happy Father's Day.
You know, half the reason we celebrate Father's Day and Mother's Day is that they are the ones who actually don't kill us while we are young and keeping them sleep deprived while covered in vomit!
Am I #1 today? WOW!

Posted by: Maribeth at June 16, 2008 7:51 AM

Happy Father's Day!

If I am one day half the mum to a child that you are dad to your children, I will be incredibly happy. Keep up the great work. Good luck on the sleep thing. You may learn to do without it.

Posted by: Missy at June 16, 2008 9:09 AM

Yes, you are an awesome Dad. And it just gets better!

Posted by: Steff at June 16, 2008 9:19 AM

Happy Father's Day! I hope you get some sleep soon. :)

Posted by: bad penguin at June 16, 2008 9:35 AM

Sorry your father's day wasn't spectacular. I detailed ours in my blog and had similar problems. I could use some sleep as well!

Posted by: Claire at June 16, 2008 9:41 AM

I got one word for you: BENADRYL.

Posted by: kalisa at June 16, 2008 10:02 AM

Happy Father's Day. :D I wouldn't hold out for the sleep - at least not until they are married.

Posted by: Jen at June 16, 2008 10:11 AM

That was a well placed shout out to mothers. I'm still learning the ropes and that was a nice move.

Posted by: Black Hockey Jesus at June 16, 2008 10:20 AM

Chris,

You give as a father the way that father's should give. You love and love fiercely, you try and you fail and you try again. There's nothing pretty about parenthood - aside from those fleeting moments that make your heart melt. Hang in there! You are doing fabulous.

Posted by: k8 at June 16, 2008 10:51 AM

Didn't you know? Father's Day isn't about YOU, it's about them REMINDING you that you are THEIRS. Happy Fathers day!

Posted by: Mr Lady at June 16, 2008 11:46 AM

Happy Father's Day! Sounds like a wonderful, albeit sleepless, weekend. Can you close your office door and take a power-nap for lunch?

Posted by: Krush at June 16, 2008 12:11 PM

you are a good dad.

but you already know that, of course :)

happy father's day to you

Posted by: ali at June 16, 2008 1:45 PM

You know, every time I complain of being tired these days my friend, who is a recent mom, just rolls her eyes. I think I get why...

Happy belated dad's day. Sounds like the only way it would have been better was if there had been a nap thrown into the mix.

Posted by: suze at June 16, 2008 3:31 PM

Ha!! We had blueberry pancakes too......we spent Friday night at a blueberry farm picking 10 lbs of blueberries. This weekend we made blueberry pancakes, blueberry bread pudding, blueberry jam, blueberry salad dressing, blueberry syrup, and ate about 4 lbs of blueberries just as blueberries.

Posted by: Jen at June 16, 2008 5:00 PM

Happy Fathers Day to you. You are a star dad. One day in the not too distant future it will be fathers day and you will get to sleep in (perhaps even a nap during the day post lunch) and your teenage children will just be in their rooms and come out occasionally to snarl at you. No actually they will probably never snarl at you but there will be plenty of time for rest. I hope you do get some soon though, it is torture. Hope the week ahead isn't too bad as well...

Posted by: Beth at June 16, 2008 6:19 PM

"I'm damn proud to be a father to these two kids. In my mind, there's only one nobler profession - a mother." HALLELUJAH!

Happy Belated Fathers Day! You are pretty kickass, as far as daddy's go! Beth makes blueberry pancakes? I bet from scratch! You guys are so perfect you make me want to barf!

Posted by: mymilabean at June 16, 2008 9:04 PM

Youre a great dad and I hereby wish for you uninterrupted sleep for 6 out of 7 nights a week (best the sleep fairy would do).

Posted by: That Girl at June 16, 2008 9:27 PM

does one EVER get used to the sleep deprivation? I think my body's now programmed for survival on 4-5 hour increments. although, with the latest teething blitz (he's getting 4 top teeth in at once...Lord help us all!) he's slept for, oh, 5 minutes on some nights. then, he'll nap like a mad dog during the day.

when i was pregnant, i could sleep for 12 hrs a day, easy. now...5 hours feels like i've slept for a lifetime.

Posted by: Dr. Dolly at June 16, 2008 11:45 PM