June 6, 2008

The Weeklies #39

The Weekly Weather. Tornadoes, high winds, tree carnage and power loss dominated the second half of the week. Luckily for all of us, we had a DVD copy of Cinderella and a juiced up laptop.

The Weekly Odometer Reading. Look, my car turned 44,444!

The Weekly Reads. In a startling turn of events, I have to admit that, while I'm most of the way through a book, I haven't actually finished a book since I recapped the week last Friday. Hey, it had to happen sometime.

The Weekly Music. I mentioned last week that Jame McMurtry was pissed. If that's an accurate assessment, then Richard Patrick is absolutely livid. Patrick's band, Filter, is back on the scene with Anthems for the Damned, a scathing condemnation of the war in Iraq and the administration that launched it. Even if you're not political, though, there's something to be enjoyed here. Patrick continues to move Filter away from the Nine Inch Nails sound of their early albums toward something that sounds almost like a hard-edged U2. A while back, I think I went out on a limb and said that Army of Anyone - a band fronted by Patrick with the DeLeo brothers from Stone Temple Pilots - was going to be huge. Well, they broke up with the reformation of STP but the new Filter album is the next best thing.

The Weekly Thank You. Yesterday I was wallowing in self-pity and not thinking all that highly of myself at least as far as parenting goes. Thank you for all the kind words and advice. You guys, well, you rock. But I hope you knew that already.

The Weekly Schadenfreude. Whether she's willing to admit it or not (as yet, publicly, not), Hillary's not going to be the Democratic nominee in the 2008 presidential race. While I most certainly would have supported her had she gotten the nod, I've got to admit that I take some joy in her loss. I mean, how cocky was she going into this thing?

The Weekly Hypothetical. Here's the situation. There's a guy serving a life sentence for something horrible. But you and you alone know he didn't do it and you have the evidence to prove it. You're also armed with the knowledge that he did other horrible things for which he wasn't charged, will never be charged and won't ever be punished. Do you exonerate him for the crime he's locked up for but didn't commit? Or do you do nothing, knowing that he might never be punished for the crimes he did commit?

Posted by Chris at June 6, 2008 6:38 AM
Comments

I hope you have a great weekend, Chris. You need it.

As for your question... I would probably do nothing and justify it in my mind, that he was in jail for this other horrible, heinous thing.

P.S. Sorry if this double posts. It gave me a comment failed message.

Posted by: Secha at June 6, 2008 6:46 AM

Hmmm, I think I'd have to help free him. I myself have been accused of things that I haven't done, and it truly bites. Sure, I have done some other things and gotten away with them, but those other things, well, they play foremost on my mind. And in freeing the guy, hopefully he would have learned some great lesson in the time he did serve. One can always be hopeful.

Hope your weekend is a grand one...maybe get those kids to bed early, wrestle under the covers with Beth, and see if you can't find your mood improving :-) Good luck!

Posted by: Tera at June 6, 2008 7:26 AM

I always seem to glance at my odometer when it has some crazy number like 51515 or 48888 - it cracks me up.
I would be in the group that would say nothing because of the other things he did that he will never be convicted for. I think he's in there because of Karma. Karma doesn't ever let you get away with anything bad. Or if you're not a big believer in Karma just think in terms of "what goes around, comes around".

Posted by: Nancy at June 6, 2008 7:38 AM

See when I talk to The Boy about being a sore loser, I'm going to use this as an example. I'd had high hopes for Hillary when this thing started. But I've lost a lot of respect for her along the way. It was hers to lose and she did.

Posted by: Nat at June 6, 2008 7:52 AM

I'd let him rot in jail. Like someone else said, it's karma. And karma can be a bitch. Life sentence may not be harsh enough for him. I know it isn't for certain criminals. I just watched "Reservation Road" last night. A little boy was killed in a hit & run accident. The father was told if the guy was caught, he'd probably do 10 years "depending on the circumstances". If someone killed my daughter, they'd better hope to hell that the cops got to them before I did. A 10 year sentence is a joke in that situation. Accident or not.

Posted by: js at June 6, 2008 8:07 AM

I odn't have a lot of faith in the judicial system. If he did something that bad that I thought he'd deserve the same life sentence I'd be sorely tempted to let him rot. The only problem would be if the real culprit could possibly get caught.

Posted by: ktjrdn at June 6, 2008 8:29 AM

Am I the only one who wants more information? Like is the heinous thing he REALLY did worse than the heinous thing he was accused of? And it depends on what he did. (I can't do black or white - shades of gray are the way I roll, I guess). Was it a crime against a person or was it something else? (Though I guess all crimes are ultimately crimes against people - even theft affects someone in some way).

Oh never mind.

Leave him there. Let him rot.

Posted by: sarah at June 6, 2008 8:41 AM

OH MY GOODNESS...you didn't finish a book (or 5) in a week? my world just exploded!!! I can't believe it!!!

And I'd totally let him rot...he did punishable things and he is doing time one way or the other, if I thought he'd get out and get away with the other things he did do, I couldn't live with myself, so I say let him rot!!!

Posted by: LFM at June 6, 2008 8:55 AM

I once got thrown off a jury because they asked me if I could be impartial. I said no because even if he didn't do "this" he surely did something else he needed to be punished for...the teen beat up an old man and they had all sorts of witnesses....he so needed to pay.

Posted by: jennifer at June 6, 2008 8:58 AM

Re weekly schadenfreude: Just let it go already. Even the superdelegates don't want you! Place nice and bring the ruptured party back together so OB gets the nod in November and we can all party down in January.

Re weekly hypothetical: hard call. I'd justify myself with he's already incarcerated (yes for something he didnt' do) but he's already there and he and he alone has to reconcile himself that while he's not quilty for what he's there for, he is quilty of more.

Re weekly thank you: enjoy your weekend and have a few beers. We all go through that!

Posted by: Michelle at June 6, 2008 9:28 AM

Weekly Hypothetical: My first instinct is to say "let him rot". But then I wondered, where's the guy that really DID do this heinous thing? Is he still out there and dangerous and capable of doing more heinous things? Do I let one bad guy go for something I KNOW he did and can prove allowing for the potential that he may do it again since he got away with it? Do I trade that life for the one of the person who IS in jail in order to make him pay for past transgressions? Past transgressions vs future transgressions.
And now I'm all sorts of screwed up.

As for yesterday's post. I have no words of wisdom. I feel like a lousy parent sometimes too. The things I remind myself of is that I am doing the best I can. No one can love my children more or more fiercely than I can (save their father, of course). No matter what I do, they will likely grow up to hate me, until they get over it or get therapy to get over it. I will still always love them. Oh, and I'm starting that therapy fund, since I figure they'll need it more than a college fund (they'll be smart enough to get scholarships...cause my kids are brilliant. ;-))

Posted by: varinia at June 6, 2008 9:28 AM

The idea of a person incarcerated for a crime they didn't commit really bothers me. So I'd have to know what horrible things he did that he wasn't charged with. Do the other horrible crimes warrant a life sentence? How sure am I that he is guilty of the other crimes? Did I witness it? Did he confess to me? I'd have to have more details.

Posted by: Jennifer at June 6, 2008 9:33 AM

I would let it be, thinking that, perhaps, I was serving the greater good by keeping my mouth shut.
The man who hit my car and killed my daughter had a rap sheet for drunk driving a mile long. And a week after killing Katie, he hit an old woman and mamed her.
Guess I'm not that impartial.

Posted by: Maribeth at June 6, 2008 10:07 AM

I am SO glad Hil didn't get it. There's something about her that just makes me want to...well, punch something.

Posted by: sandra at June 6, 2008 10:42 AM

I'd definitely need more information on the "horrible things". But as a general rule, I'm pretty tough on that whole idea. Too many people that just don't know how to, or are able to, or deserve to live in our society. So, it sounds like karma to me.

And I'm just terrified now that the Hillary situation has gone on so long that it's possible that they've jeopardized the election. Terrified. And before anybody says no way, think back to what issue won Bush's first term. Couldn't believe that one either.

Posted by: OS at June 6, 2008 11:43 AM

Didn't comment on yesterday's post mostly because I was wallowing in my own electrical-outage pity. Thanks for the comment!
At any rate...
Chin up, elbows out. This too shall pass.

BTW, I believe in karma so....yeah, dude's gonna stay in prison. (Did you ever see the movie - or read the book - The Green Mile? This question kind of smacks of elements of that....)

Have a great weekend.

Posted by: Caitlin at June 6, 2008 11:59 AM

Whatever you *think* you have on me won't amount to a hill'ry beans.

Speaking of rude cactus, did you see that cactus LOLcat? I thought of your blog when I saw it (I posted it Sunday on my weeklies)

Posted by: whall at June 6, 2008 12:24 PM

My car turned 111111 a couple of weeks ago. I had planned to pull over and take a picture, but was *almost* home. The ODO turned to 111112 as I turned into my driveway.

As for the hypothetical- if the crimes he was not being punished for equaled the crime he was in jail for, I would say nothing. (I've actually been in this position- someone very dear to me was arrested for something he didn't do, and I had the power to prove it, but he had done the same thing in other instances and not gotten caught. I figured it was his just desserts.)

Posted by: Judy at June 6, 2008 12:58 PM

While I too tend to lean toward the "let him rot" option, I have to wonder what Karma would do to ME considering I had to opportunity to do what was maybe legally correct. Although the morally correct part is debatable. But I guess I would worry about Karma getting me in the future for being somewhat sketchy now. I would certainly feel guilty either way.

Hope the tornadoes let up. It's rained the whole first week of June in Seattle. Sort of tired of that.

Posted by: MissAnna at June 6, 2008 1:29 PM

Exonerate him. Our justice system does horrible things to people's lives every single day, so 'horrible' is a subjective term in this case. Besides, prison doesn't fix human nature, nor can it turn back the clock and undo what's been done. This also begs the question as to what constitutes appropriate punishment, when such definitions have a history of being determined arbitrarily. Too many questions with too few answers.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at June 6, 2008 1:48 PM

hmmm, also need more info on what exactly it was that he did do, and is he remorseful at all? Also what about the person who really did do the thing that he didn't?!

Was going to get all philisophical about rehabitlitation and prison really just being a criminal's college, but a stunning thought has struck me - Guy 1 is in prison for something Guy 2 did - I'd get Guy 2 inprisoned for the thing that Guy 1 got away with! Yeah!

Posted by: mamacrow at June 6, 2008 2:52 PM

Reads: I'm stoked that I finished a book this week and you didn't!

Schadenfreude: (I totally cut and pasted Schadenfreude just then, and just then then) Yeah, whats with the candidates this year not knowing when to bow out gracefully?

Hypothetical: I think I would do nada. Who am I to fuck with karma?

Posted by: Mymilabean at June 6, 2008 3:23 PM

In my youth I would have felt it necessary to make sure justice was perfectly served -- as in, he is punished for the crimes he actually committed, but now I see that...

... justice is not always served.
... taxpayer dollars are my dollars.
... life's plan is bigger than I am.
... it's not my job to fix the world.

I think I'd ask him what he wanted me to do. :)

Posted by: Poppy at June 6, 2008 8:58 PM

Did anyone else notice that your car was in motion (slow motion, but still in motion) while you snapped the shot of your odometer?? That's going to be the new law (right after texting and driving) - no snapping pictures with your camera phone while driving. Ha! Have a great weekend!

Posted by: margo at June 7, 2008 8:47 AM

This is kind of a cool, yet twisty, coincidence. I looked at my mileage earlier in the week and it said 45,678. You can catch up to me in 234 miles... Or $123.00, whichever comes first ;-P
I just noticed today is 6/7/08.
Numbers make me crazy. I'll stop now.

Posted by: One Wink at June 7, 2008 8:18 PM

Oh Lord. Remind me never to add anything, like numbers, quickly in my head.
Make that 1234 miles and $123.40. Ahem.

Posted by: One Wink at June 7, 2008 8:27 PM

I would at this moment in time say screw him and let him rot...
More info would probably be needed for me to make a more just decision however.

Found you via Brad at almostlucid.

Posted by: Jessica Norberg at June 8, 2008 11:54 PM

Depends on the crimes he did. If they were murder, rape, or sexual abuse, that sort of thing, I'd let that evidence rot in a hole in my yard. There is justice inbetween the lines of the law.

Posted by: Brad at June 10, 2008 10:51 AM