June 13, 2008

The Weeklies #40

The Weekly Ominous Observation. It's Friday the 13th! Dun-dun-dunnnnn.

The Weekly Weather. Hot. Africa hot. Sweaty balls hot.

The Weekly Time Waster. Guess The Google. You get 20 images and you've got to figure out what Google keyword was used.

The Weekly Reads. Once upon a time, I used to shy away from books that were parts of series. I'm not sure why but I did. Now, among some of my favorite characters are those in series - John Sandford's Lucas Davenport, Marshall Karp's Lomax and Biggs, Harlan Coben's Myron Bolitar and Lee Child's Jack Reacher. I was browsing though a pile of paperbacks the other day and realized I had two of Lee Child's earlier Reacher novels I hadn't tackled. So I dove into Without Fail. And it was, without fail, a darn good mystery. Reacher's a badass and impossible not to like. The mystery is well plotted and the action non-stop.

The Weekly Music. I've been an Aimee Mann fan since she did the music for Magnolia (a seriously brilliant and underrated movie). @#%&*! Smilers is yet another great release in her long string of good releases (interrupted only by the loose-concept album The Forgotten Arm that didn't really do much for me). So, just a little advice - check it out!

The Weekly Worst Movie I Haven't Seen. The Love Guru looks like one of the single worst films ever made. Seriously, it's going to suck. Steer clear at all costs.

The Weekly Schadenfreude. Let's talk about Hulk Hogan. His kid had an accident while speeding and turned the passenger into a vegetable. And Hulk said it was god's will to make the kid - the passenger who's now comatose - a better person. Hulk and his wife are going through a divorce. She's now dating a teenager. He's dating a chick who looks exactly like his daughter. Ew. There's more schadenfreude than you an shake a stick at!

The Weekly Not A Hypothetical Question Question. What's your number one comfort food?

Posted by Chris at June 13, 2008 6:38 AM
Comments

Comfort food? Anything but tomatoes.

But my Dad taught me the joys of a proper sandwich. It's kind of comforting to me when I have an exceptional sandwich that I think of my Dad. ("oooh....Dad would have LOVED this one!")

But then there's mashed potatoes. And mac & cheese. I don't think I've ever met a carb that didn't comfort me.

And I'm first today. Imagine. That's what getting up too damn early will do.

Happy Father's Day weekend Chris!

Posted by: Amy at June 13, 2008 6:52 AM

spaghetti!

Posted by: the unicorn at June 13, 2008 7:11 AM

Waffles!

I just made a batch of blueberry yogurt vanilla waffles!

Next time I have to remember to add the oats though.

Posted by: jessica at June 13, 2008 7:19 AM

Pancakes. Really yummy, thick, freshly made pancakes with REAL syrup.

I was listening to a new music recommendation from a friend of mine and thought you might like her too - her name is Sarah Slean (www.sarahselan.com).

Posted by: Cass at June 13, 2008 7:29 AM

Comfort food? Fresh baked bread. Wheat, french, white, sourdough, (I could go on but I'm feeling vaguely like Bubba in Forest Gump naming all the kinds of shrimp)....

I love bread.

(Thank god i don't need the South Beach diet, because the lack of bread would kill me).

Posted by: sarah at June 13, 2008 7:51 AM

I missed to Hulk Hogan story. But that entire family strikes me as massively screwed up.

Totally agree on Love Guru.

Comfort food? Chocolate and cookies. AND chocolate in cookies.

Posted by: Nat at June 13, 2008 7:52 AM

My number one comfort food will probably be an ewww to others but my yia-yia used to make it for me and passed it on to my mom...it's elbow macaroni with hamburg and mix it with plain yogurt...mmmmmmm it really does make me feel better when I am down and out really makes me feel like home no matter where I am in the world reminds me of home, my family, my yia-yia. *sigh*

Posted by: Deirdre at June 13, 2008 7:53 AM

Comfort food...
Cake.
I loooove cake. It comforts the hell out of me :)

Posted by: Kate at June 13, 2008 8:14 AM

Really magnolia? I did not get that movie. I thought Tom Cruise was amazing but what was up with the frogs.

Comfort food? Mashed potatoes or french fries.

Posted by: jodifur at June 13, 2008 8:23 AM

Observation: At least there won't be a full moon tonight.

Question: If you insist that I pick just one, I will go with cheese. I cannot live without cheese. I have a long list of comfort foods that involve cheese.

Have a Happy Father's Day!

Posted by: Maria at June 13, 2008 8:26 AM

My comfort food is something my Mom made us when we were growing up. Its cut up steak (usually the cheapest you can find) with stewed tomatoes, diced onion, and diced jalepenos (kind of like a very cheap, thin stew/soup?). Along with some good old spanish rice. This is my comfort food. I make it at least 3 times a month if not more. Weird, I know.

Posted by: Elizabeth at June 13, 2008 8:34 AM

Unfortunately, all to often, chocolate.

Posted by: daisy at June 13, 2008 8:39 AM

Macaroni and cheese. Preferably eaten out of the pan with a side of fish sticks.

Posted by: Gwen at June 13, 2008 8:39 AM

Mashed. Potatoes. Hands down. I want them extra creamy and buttery and yeah... that's my number one all-time best and most comforting food.

Posted by: claire at June 13, 2008 8:41 AM

Hulk Hogan... Oy.

As my son says my favorite comfort "foods" are "junnnk food, right mommy!?" Yes, I love ice cream, pizza, chips, etc when I am feeling blue and in need of a little comfort.

Posted by: Christina at June 13, 2008 8:44 AM

Chocolate dipped in peanut butter

Posted by: Keri at June 13, 2008 8:46 AM

Chocolate, give me lots of chocolate, any chocolate... YUM

I am back at work next week, I should have time to play Guess the Google game as blogs are considered inappropriate and therefore are blocked.

Posted by: del at June 13, 2008 8:50 AM

Comfort food: Soups, rice and beans, and fish with coconut reminds me of my island. And I do love anything with coconut.

Hulk: This is what happens when you decide to do "reality."

Posted by: katherine at June 13, 2008 8:53 AM

It used to be dark chocolate anything. But now I have been on Weight Watchers, when I need comfort food I eat popcorn. Simple and low fat and not awful on my diet.

Posted by: Maribeth at June 13, 2008 9:00 AM

If I have to pick just one, cheese please. Mac and cheese. Melted cheese on toasty tortillas. a nice hunk of cheddar. Yum

Posted by: diane at June 13, 2008 9:07 AM

I have to pick just one comfort food?
I don't think I can do that, but I'll try to be brief.
When I'm sick, I want my mom's albondiga soup (meatball soup).
When I want happy food to hang out with friends and have some beers, I want carne asada tacos, with all the trimmings. Or carnitas.
When it's cold and I want something to fill me up and warm me up, I want Gallina Pinta soup (beef, hominy and bean soup).
When I want a quick breakfast, I want chorizo and egg burritos. When I want an involved breakfast I want torta de huevo en caldillo (egg omelets in a tomato, onion, garlic broth).
When I want breakfast for dinner, I want steak and eggs with fresh salsa, spanish rice and corn tortillas.
When I want a nice sunday dinner, I want roast chicken with lemon and garlic and lots of olives with a nice glass of gruner veltliner (white wine).
When I want to snack, I want a glass of wine, cheeses, fruits and crackers.

That's a lot of comfort baby. And probably the reason my big butt is back at the gym! lol

Posted by: varinia at June 13, 2008 9:15 AM

Bacon and rice rules all. :)

Posted by: oakley at June 13, 2008 9:25 AM

Let me first say there is NOTHING wrong with dating a teenager! What's the saying? Grass on the field, play ball?

Comfort Food: Margaritas. Oh? That's not a food? Ok, Jello Shots (Teachnically a food?)

Posted by: Mymilabean at June 13, 2008 9:40 AM

Basically, if you can put cheese in/on it and deep fry it, I'm there.

Posted by: Cassandra at June 13, 2008 9:46 AM

We have concocted this stuff...cream of chicken soup, shredded cheese, chicken, plain yogurt. Pop it in the oven. Eat with toast. There is another variation of this involving cream of chicken soup, chicken & noodle soup, rice (white or a Lipton chicken rice packet), cheese, and chicken. So basically in our house, chickeny soupy things are comforting.

What's yours?

Posted by: Sparkle Pants at June 13, 2008 9:48 AM

Cookies and milk.

Posted by: Brad at June 13, 2008 10:25 AM

Comfort food huh?

Macaroni and Cheese (Kraft only with the powdered cheese) with canned peas on the side or mixed in. Depends on my mood.

Oh, and that brings to mind another one. Ramen noodles made with less water, so it's noodly, not soupy, with velveeta mixed in and peas again.

And then there would have to be mashed potatoes and beef gravy (not chicken, not ham, not sausage, not white. Only beef gravy will do.)

I've been listening to Breaking Benjamin. It's new to me, and I like it.

Posted by: k8 at June 13, 2008 10:28 AM

I have a comfort plate, not just one food because that is just plain...not enough!

A plate of homemade fried chicken (legs, please) with some mashed potates and fried squash and cornbread.

Schadenfreude:

I think it is sad the whole way around. To watch what seemed like a relativly grounded and good family just completly disentegrate before your eyes, bummer. TV can screw a good situation up can't it? No one who has done a reality show such as that have made it out the other end in one piece. As for the young man who is now a veg, Hulk should leave well enough alone and the young man was not forced at gunpoint to get in the car or stay in.

Truly a shame all the way around.

Posted by: Kelly M. at June 13, 2008 10:41 AM

Comfort Food - fresh baked bread with homemade jams - or possibly homemade chicken and dumplings.

Posted by: Jen at June 13, 2008 11:04 AM

I'm so glad to hear about the Aimee Mann album! I normally really like her stuff, but I'm always wary when something new comes out. I'm not a risk taker, I guess.

Someone else asked before what the number 1 comfort food would be, and I decided that it must be butter for me, because everything I love has it.

Posted by: heels at June 13, 2008 11:32 AM

My number one comfort food is anything with lactose in it. And I just realized I'm now lactose intolerant. Talk about a major BUMMER.

Posted by: Poppy at June 13, 2008 11:35 AM

Comfort Food = Stouffer's macaroni & cheese and Tyson's chicken nuggets. Together.

Posted by: GreenCanary at June 13, 2008 11:44 AM

Ruffles BBQ Potato chips

Posted by: Rex at June 13, 2008 11:45 AM

omg...I love the google game. Thank you. :)

Comfort food? Mac & cheese

Posted by: laura at June 13, 2008 12:04 PM

The good news is that it's cheesecake.

The bad news is that I excel at making cheesecake.

I am, therefore, very slowly killing myself with cheesecake. There are, I suppose, worse ways to go.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at June 13, 2008 12:42 PM

so my comment has nothing to do w/ anything but I was thinking to myself that you are long overdue for some Cactus Q&A....just a thought ;)

Happy Father's Day!

Posted by: Kris at June 13, 2008 12:54 PM

I'm a big Rush fan (wearing my concert shirt today, actually) so the only thing I know about Aimee Mann is that she sings the words 'Time Stand Still' very well.

And Poppy said there would be Elvira. Where is she?

Posted by: whall at June 13, 2008 2:18 PM

Oatmeal cookies. WITH raisins.

Posted by: sunshine at June 13, 2008 2:19 PM

Any carb can comfort me all the live long day.

Posted by: Tuesday at June 13, 2008 2:26 PM

When I was a little girl my mom used to make tuna salad with Miracle Whip and then put a dollop of that in the middle of a Pilsbury crescent roll triangle and then roll them up and bake them. Mmmm. Nothing says mom loves me like hot tuna salad.

But now I'm grown-up (technically) it's home-made mac and cheese made with old cheddar and Worcestershire sauce so it's really sharp and spicy tasting. Sometimes I put broccoli in it before it goes in the oven. Best. Thing. Ever. Of course, that's the winter comfort food. The summer comfort food is toasted tomato sandwiches made from tomatoes right out of the garden, a thin layer of mayo, light salt and a good grinding of black pepper.

Damn. I'm hungry again.

Posted by: alison at June 13, 2008 2:43 PM

Tostadas made by my Mexican Mamma. That's not some term for a whore, either. My mom actually is Mexican. And, her tostadas are killer. That sounds so dirty when I say it that way...

Posted by: Arwen at June 13, 2008 2:51 PM

I addicted to Planters Chocolate Covered Cashews.

Posted by: Kevin T. at June 13, 2008 3:02 PM

Love Aimee Mann. Scared of ALL reality tv families. Those horrific Love Guru commercials are full of my team and that makes me very sad. And comfort food must be slice and bake cookies. Because the kids can help with zero complications which totally quadruples the comfort factor.

Oh, and thanks, Guess the Google is gonna get me fired for sure.

Posted by: OS at June 13, 2008 3:10 PM

A bad day can be fixed with a large serving of homemade mashed potatoes and gravy with LOTS of butter. If it's been a REALLY bad day, Mom's lasagna can fix it. And if it's been one of those days where I just want to crawl in bed and cover my head with a blanket, nothing but pizza or hubby's chicken noodle soup will do.

Posted by: zanie at June 13, 2008 3:28 PM

Love the whole Hulk Hogan thing, that family is such a train wreck.

As for the comfort food, Mac and Cheese - or Ding Dongs, it's kind of a tie.

Have a great Father's Day!

Posted by: Mandy Lou at June 13, 2008 3:50 PM

Comfort food - sadly, Kraft Dinner. Or mashed potatoes. Hot, salty carbs, really. :P

Posted by: Heather at June 13, 2008 4:45 PM

Comfort food? Now that's a question I can answer!

Definitely chocolate! Chocolate, chocolate, chocolate!
Although warm, gooey brownies and chocolate chip cookies would be absolutely acceptable, too. But these are a lot harder to find here in Europe, so chocolate it is (unless I have time and can bake some myself).

Mmm....

Posted by: Catharina at June 13, 2008 5:28 PM

Garlic and onions frying in a pan instantly comnforts me...and it can be the base of so many good things. The sound and smell just hug me and tell me that everything is going to be ok.

Posted by: Beth at June 13, 2008 5:30 PM

Mac and Cheese (bonus points if it has hot dog cut up in it).

Posted by: Amy at June 13, 2008 5:47 PM

That Guess the Google game has sucked up 30 minutes of my night, thankyouverymuch.

My comfort food always has been and always will be ice cream. Put some of those gooey walnuts on top, and I'm in heaven. Add whipped cream, and all is right with the world.

Posted by: Stacey at June 13, 2008 6:00 PM

With The Love Guru and Zohan (however you spell it) coming out - I can't help but wonder if this is the new blackface/yellowface. I can't help but think back to Mr. Yunioshi from Breakfast at Tiffany's.

Posted by: Rengirl at June 13, 2008 6:07 PM

Now I can not pull away from guess the google. TGIF

Posted by: Bayou at June 13, 2008 6:13 PM

Favorite comfort food? Mashed potatoes or Rocky Road ice cream. It depends on whether or not I'm PMS'ing. (Sorry, was that TMI?)

Oh, and thanks a lot for introducing me to Guess the Google. Like I needed another time suck.

Posted by: debra at June 13, 2008 8:33 PM

mmm...cookies.

Posted by: steff at June 13, 2008 9:08 PM

Gooey chocolate brownies, chocolate chip cookies (warmed up in the microwave, they ususally don't make it to the oven), or any chocolate without nuts. Nuts are a waste of space where chocolate should be.

Homemade salisbury steak with mashed potatoes, smothered in the salisbury sauce. OMG.

I read Lee Child's new Reacher book and was mildly disappointed. It's classic Reacher, and maybe that's part of my problem. Follows the same old formula as all the earlier books.

Posted by: Peggi at June 13, 2008 11:42 PM

I have a few comfort foods :)

-warm, fresh from the oven chocolate chip cookies
-scrambled eggs with cheese

I didn't actually know anything about that whole Hogan situation, other then they were splitting up. You'd think that with reality tv's past reputation (it's rare that marriages survive it) that people would just stop doing it. Sad.

Posted by: Scattered Mom at June 14, 2008 11:44 AM

Comfort food: frozen homemade chocolate chip cookies.

Posted by: Pete Dunn at June 14, 2008 4:30 PM

The Love Guru? You Don't Mess With The Zohan?

What happened to the summer blockbuster?

Posted by: Rachel at June 14, 2008 11:44 PM

I recently discovered Lee Child, too. Good books.

Posted by: David at June 15, 2008 5:35 AM

Just stopped by to wish you a very Happy Father's Day!

Cas

Posted by: cassie-b at June 15, 2008 11:17 AM

I can't believe I had to think about this! My number one comfort food is Starbucks Chai Tea Latte with Soy Milk.... ADDICTED. For the comfort it brings me.... The hot, the sweet, the Starrrrbucks.... Love it. Am quitting it, though. Trying to make brown rice and broccoli comforting.

Happy Father's Day!!! :)

Posted by: Haley-O at June 15, 2008 11:53 PM

comfort food, mmm, really good homemade chicken stew with those big puffy noodles and fresh fluffy corn bread on the side. oh and really good frozen custard. geez, I'm hungry now.

Posted by: Jen at June 16, 2008 10:16 AM

How hot, exactly, is "Sweaty Balls Hot" Cause today it was over 100 here in the shade, and I don't have balls that drip sweat, so I can't really tell if that qualifies for "Sweaty Balls Hot" I suppose I could've asked someone if it was "sweaty balls hot" but you know - that's just an odd opening line.

"Excuse me, sir? Could you tell me - are your balls sweating?"

That's liable to get me slapped.

Posted by: Emily at June 23, 2008 10:50 PM

If you are in a not good position and have no money to go out from that, you will need to receive the business loans. Because that would aid you definitely. I get small business loan every time I need and feel myself great because of that.

Posted by: JennieBallard at June 12, 2010 6:46 PM