July 28, 2008

The Party

I am thrilled to report that the birthday part - the one I was so worried about and got progressively more worried about as the week progressed - was a complete and utter success.

While the Official Mia Birthday Party Theme of 2008 was butterflies, it's clear that the unofficial theme was heavy on princesses. Cinderella, specifically. The vast majority of her gifts were princess-related. She was in absolute heaven.

The weather for the party was fantastic - not too warm and, thankfully, no rain. The kids hung out in the sandbox, played in the wading pool, ran around the yard and frolicked in the bubbles being shot out by the bubble machines. The adults played and most of us actually got a chance to talk to one another for a while. Good thing since two fantastic blogging buddies - Sarah of Goon Squad Fame and Jodi - were there with their families and I haven't seen either in quite a while.

When the butterfly cake was unveiled (and on that topic, please remind me to revisit the issue of the cake and let you know how fucking pathetic Baskin Robbins actually is) and everyone broke into song, Mia looked like it was the single best moment in her life. Like, in her head she was saying, "holy crap, all these people are singing for me...this is awesome!" It showed on her face.

All the kids left with little buckets of favors and most of the adults left with bags of meat (hey, we're vegetarians, we weren't going to eat it...and what better party favor is there than meat?), we opened the rest of the presents and somehow got Mia down off her cake high to take a nap. Beth and I could have used one too. But parents don't get to rest. At least for 18 years or so.

Of course, don't think Owen got ignored all weekend. He managed to get in on the fun too.

So what about you? What's your best birthday memory? And what's your worst?

Posted by Chris at July 28, 2008 6:30 AM
Comments

Mia looks so adorable in those pictures. Glad you survived the party.

I remember the cake I had for my sixth birthday so well. It was a volcano covered in chocolate icing and red icing "lava" with loads of chocolate goodness like maltesers and rolos and things as chocolate "rubble" around the foot of it. Plus it had plastic dinosaurs climbing it and sparklers on the top.
Yeah, I wasn't so big on the princessy type stuff as a kid.

Posted by: starrynite at July 28, 2008 7:19 AM

Meat as a birthday party favour? Brilliant!

Looks like a fun party, and she looked adorable.

Posted by: SciFi Dad at July 28, 2008 8:09 AM

My best birthday moment was last year. Here I am at 49 and I was on a cruise. I sat down to dinner and received champagne, flowers from my Hubby with a card that said, "To The Love Of My Life", and a chocolate cake!!!
Now does it get any better than that?

Posted by: Maribeth at July 28, 2008 8:21 AM

Best birthday memory? Hands down, the year I got a door for my bedroom. I was 16.

We lived in an older farmhouse, and there were no doors on any of the rooms except for my parents' bedroom. The year I turned 16 my parents purchased and installed a door on my bedroom, complete with a "keep out" sign on the outside. It was awesome.

Mia looks adorable. I'm glad the party was a success. Aren't you glad that's over for a whole year?

Posted by: Alissa at July 28, 2008 8:22 AM

Thank you for including us. Michael had a blast!

Posted by: jodifur at July 28, 2008 8:36 AM

Glad the party was a success. No birthday memories -- good or bad -- stand out for me.

Posted by: Fraulein N at July 28, 2008 8:36 AM

It's sad that I can't think of a "best". Worst was my fourth birthday when I was given a Barbie, which could have been the worst possible gift to get me. I opened it, took one look, and threw it at the girl who gave it. It was by far the worst because I immediately felt badly about it, even though I still hated the gift. I was conflicted.

I suppose my best birthday moment was this past year when my husband bought me a half day at a salon, got one solitary yellow rose and a great card, then took me out to dinner. It may not sound like much but I wasn't expecting so much.

Posted by: Claire at July 28, 2008 8:37 AM

yay! Party success!

My personal fave birthday memory is when I was five and my mom attempted a suprise party. It was my birthday, I was in a party dress, and I was forced to stay in the basement (it was finished, she's not that cruel). I was hip to her game but still acted suprised and I thought it was sweet of her (seeing as how she was all of 20 years old) to try and pull it off.

Posted by: Mymilabean at July 28, 2008 9:03 AM

Worst birthday memory was last year, my 27th. I got to evacuate my house due to the wildfires in San Diego, and I seriously, completely thought our house was going to burn down.

This year better be damn good to make up for it.

Posted by: Maggie at July 28, 2008 9:35 AM

Sounds like a successful party (my daughter happily turned three yesterday and now my living room floor is covered with WebKinz, pom poms and a megaphone - because my mom thought it would be fantastic if my daughter were LOUDER). Great pics! Mia looks like a little princess :)

Best birthday... um, lamely enough it might have been my 16th bday. Not only did I get my drivers' license, but because I was a cheerleader and had the homecoming game and dance on my birthday, the announcer for the football game announced my birthday during a time out and the whole stadium clapped for me (and no, I'm not usually an attention hog).

Worst? I don't know. I really really LOVE my birthday - so it's hard to ruin it. I still remember kindergarten when my mom sent me with a bag of Oreos rather than bake cupcakes like the other moms. I still give her shit about it. And now, I make sure I send my kids with good stuff on THEIR birthdays.

Posted by: sarah at July 28, 2008 9:38 AM

Well. Birthdays come and go for me - it's right after new years, and no one wants to party anymore! Whereas this is not my FAVORITE memory, it's the one that sticks out the most - being locked up in treatment for my 34th birthday? Priceless. Ha! Could be the best birthday ever, since that's the year I started my life over. Sober. They even made me cake!

Posted by: k8 at July 28, 2008 9:48 AM

aww - what a sweet princess! Glad you guys survived! My worst birthday - easy - was my 16th. I spent it in the hospital due to complications from chicken pox. Had to postpone getting my license! Best birthday - hrm. My husband and I are 3 weeks apart - so for the big 4-0 a couple of years ago we spent a long weekend in Vegas with a bunch of friends - it was a blast!

Posted by: Sue R at July 28, 2008 9:59 AM

Posted by: Sue R at July 28, 2008 9:59 AM

It sounds like a good time was had by all.

Worst birthday......my 10th. I was sick and my mom had planned a party for me and had the kitchen table all decorated. It was sad and when we watch the home movies I look pathetic.

Best birthday.....my 21st. Not because I was now legal to drink but that it snowed a foot. See my birthday is April 1st and I lived in New Mexico. I felt very special (I don't think the rest of the city did though LOL).

Posted by: kali at July 28, 2008 10:04 AM

Holy smokes, your kids are cute! Glad you had such success.

Posted by: Brad at July 28, 2008 10:27 AM

Where's my cake, betch?!

Posted by: GreenCanary at July 28, 2008 10:33 AM

I adore that last picture of Mia.

No rest for parents, somehow we should figure out how to change this.

Posted by: Issa at July 28, 2008 10:56 AM

I'm still so sad that Owen didn't get any cake.

Not for lack of trying.

Posted by: Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah at July 28, 2008 11:46 AM

She's adorable! Mia's birthday looks exactly like my daughter's birthday! She just turned 3 last week too and is ALL about the princesses! She also opened her gifts wearing a princess costume.

Best birthday memory - Nothing really stands out as being over the top amazing. Lots of cookouts and sleepovers as a kid. Too many birthday shots in college.

Worst - Our house was robbed and our truck was stolen on my 19th birthday. We had gone to the lake and when we were approaching the house my dad asked "Where is the truck?" I thought for SURE that they were playing a trick on me and had moved the truck from the driveway and got me a new car for my birthday and they were hiding it on the other side of the house. Um, no. Someone had kicked in the door to the house, trashed the place and made off with the truck keys that were on the kitchen table. Bummer.

Posted by: Melissa at July 28, 2008 11:50 AM

What a fun looking birthday!! I absolutely LOVE that photo of Owen at the bottom!!

Posted by: Stephanie at July 28, 2008 11:52 AM

The Best: In high school I had the closest thing to a surprise birthday party I've ever had. My friends all went and bought Cookie Monster...stuff. Stufties, shirts, magazines, and surprised me after first period band.

The worst: My 25th. It was on a Saturday and my ex said he didn't want to do anything because it was his only day off. I thought there was no way he could possibly be serious on a milestone birthday. After expecting a surprise all day, at 7pm he decides that he doesn't have anything better to do, so starts calling our friends to come over and hang out. And most of them had plans.

Posted by: rai at July 28, 2008 11:59 AM

She looks absolutely adorable in that photo, what a great shot.
Best: Just about every one, but probably my 18th or 21st in Reno.
Worst: Haven't had one yet, I'm only 22...give me a few years and I'm sure I'll have a tale to tell!

Posted by: Dianna at July 28, 2008 12:16 PM

Glad the party went well. Good friends always make these things seem less painful.

My worst birthday was my 8th. Second grade, my mom threw a birthday party and NO ONE CAME. Not a single person came, called, nothing. I haven't had a birthday party since. Obviously, I'm scarred.

My favorite birthday was my husband's 39th. We had one couple who had already arranged to come hang out, have bbq. I secretly called 3 other couples, asking them to just stop by and wish him a happy birthday. Amazingly, they all showed up. Better yet, they all showed up with alcohol! Hubby was very surprised, VERY happy, and at the end, pretty drunk. He doesn't usually let go like that, and he's a happy drunk, so it was fun.

Posted by: Peggi at July 28, 2008 12:29 PM

Best was I think when I was 8 or 9. We had snow on my birthday which is in April.

The worst I don't remember what birthday it was but I was in the hospital with multiple asthma issues.

Looks like the party was a great success. Hope everyone had a great time. My best to you and yours!

Cheers,
JJ

Posted by: JackassJimmy at July 28, 2008 12:31 PM

glad it was awesome for your little princess. owen is adorable!

Posted by: Dolly at July 28, 2008 12:37 PM

i love that you sent people home with meat. best 3-year-old's party loot bag EVER!

Posted by: ali at July 28, 2008 1:46 PM

You have the most photogenic kids, I swear. Glad the weather cooperated and that it was wonderful.

My best birthday memory was the year I got a surprise party as a grown up. They totally got me. The worst, the first time my mother forgot my birthday. The second time wasn't such a sucker punch.

And officially reminding you. Dying to hear the cake story.

Posted by: OS at July 28, 2008 2:04 PM

Worst birthday memory: I was about 6 or 7 and was heading off to some twin friends birthday party. Mum dropped me off out the front of their house, frocked up with present(s) in tow and when they opened the door they all laughed at me as I was a week early. I then had to wait the 4 hours until Mum picked me up. Humiliating is a word. Still scarred is another phrase that comes to mind. As does careless parenting and lack of attention to detail on my Mum's behalf. Needless to say I did NOT rock up the following week.

I like to think that my best is yet to come.

Glad it all went well with the party. Another year down....phew!

Posted by: Beth at July 28, 2008 7:07 PM

Very cute. And it's such a limited amount of time that you can do this sort of thing for your kids, before they otgrow it. I have sons, so the birthday parties I've thrown were slightly more boy-themed: cowboys, pirates, and so on. For a couple of the cakes, see this:

Posted by: citizen of the world at July 28, 2008 8:37 PM

Posted by: citizen of the world at July 28, 2008 8:37 PM

Worst.

this was 20 yrs ago and my niece was turning 3.

My parents drove down to Southern ONtraio to be with us and help celebrate it.

My sister and I decided a SURPRISE party was clearly what every three yr old needs.

So we had my sister's hubby take my niece out for the morning.

We herded probably 10-15 people into my sister's backyard.

We decorated with ribbons and giant winnie-the poohs and sesame street characters (drawn by moi!)

We had a cake...super grover on top! (he fell over during the night in the fridge and took a large chunk of cake with him). We had sparklers on the cake! (that wouldn't light cause I had stuck them in the cake the night before and they were now too cold to light)

My brother in law and my niece showed up. Niece in a new dress and party shoes.

She took one look in the back yard heard everyone scream SURPRISE! and took off town the drive way heading for the farm next door.

It took 45 minutes to convince her it was OK to come back.

And for YEARS AND YEARS afterwards when we would talk about her upcoming birthday party and discuss themes etc she would state from the beginning "no one jump out and scream SURPRISE! ok?"

Rookie mistake.

Posted by: pamaalamadingdong at July 28, 2008 10:32 PM

That profile shot may be one of the cutest pics in the history of the world!!! Happy Merry Princess Butterfly! My favorite birthday memory was a Holly Hobby cake. It was way cool!

Posted by: Amy at July 28, 2008 11:59 PM

What great pictures! My favorite memories are simple homemade cakes, with all of our family there - because our family was and is large & crazy! When we moved away from them when I was 8, that was one of the things my brother & I missed most.

(Can you hear the teeeeeny tiny violin playing??)

Posted by: Caitlin at July 29, 2008 8:52 AM

Best birthday was my 20th where my husband proposed to me. Since then it has all been down hill. On my 21st birthday I was chaperoning a church youth trip. It would not had been so bad if I had not spent over two hours looking for two lost teenage girls in the forest. Soaking wet from multiple falls in a river, a dinner out at McDonalds all while on the rag made for a miserable day. My 22nd birthday saw me moving from IL to MN. No one remembered my birthday. My 23rd was suppose to be a dinner and and multiple drinks with another couple. Turns out she was pregagnet and he was not drinking out of solidarity. My 24th birthday was spent alone as that my husband was in Santa Barbara for a chemistry conference. My 25th birthday had me locked in the bathroom for an hour and a half at work. My 26th birthday is tomorrow and I fully intend to go about my day totally ignoring that fact. Wish me luck.

Posted by: theycallmered at July 29, 2008 11:28 AM

That pic of her wearing the tiara is priceless. :)

Posted by: Zandria at July 29, 2008 2:41 PM

Pretty princess. :D

Posted by: Poppy at July 29, 2008 4:25 PM

oh my word, that is cute.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MIA!