July 18, 2008

The Weeklies #45

The Weekly Popular Sleeping Location. The floor in Mia's room. Mia's been under the weather and prone to waking up in the middle of the night. On Wednesday night she volunteered to go to bed at 4:30. Unheard of. When she woke up at 3:00 in the morning, she didn't want me to crawl into bed with her. So I got a comforter from the guest room next door and camped out on the floor. I woke up later to her lying next to me. She's been sleeping on the floor since. And, as she continues to wake up and want her dad, so do I. I've realized I'm too old to sleep on a floor. Ouch.

The Best Talk Show Get of The Year. Rush on The Colbert Report.

The Weekly Reads. It's been a long time since I read anything quite so perfect as Don Winslow's The Dawn Patrol. At least, since the last book by him that I read. Winslow's got a unique voice and a true gift for creating fiction that transcends labels like mystery or thriller. If you haven't discovered this guy, The Dawn Patrol is the perfect place to start. Books just don't get much better than this.

The Weekly Music. I've got this massive playlist I call - mysteriously - Massive. It's got 953 songs and would run more than three days if played continuously. I've been listening to it most of the week. One recent run I particularly liked: Speed of Sound (Coldplay), Take A Picture (Filter), Alive (Pearl Jam), Hollywood Nights (Bob Seeger), Won't Get Fooled Again (The Who), Take Me To The River (Talking Heads), Live and Let Die (Guns N Roses), All The Young Dudes (Mott The Hoople), Black Star (Radiohead), Wise Up (Aimee Mann), Secret For A Song (Mercury Rev), The Rover (Led Zeppelin), In The Cage (Genesis), Blow Up The Outside World (Soundgarden), Angels/Losing/Sleep (Our Lady Peace), The World Spins Madly On (The Weepies), You're All I Have (Snow Patrol), Can't Find My Way Home (Blind Faith), Have a Cigar (Pink Floyd), Army (Ben Folds Five), Hornets! Hornets! (The Hold Steady), Getting Better (Gomez).

The Weekly Picture.

The Weekly Schadenfreude. Remember Andy Dick? Yeah, that NewsRadio guy? The 42 year old actor, father of three, and miserable pathetic drunk was arrested for sexually assaulting a 17 year old girl in the parking lot of a Buffalo wing place. You know what I'm thinking? Andy Dick and Amy Winehouse = match made in heaven.

The Weekly Hypothetical Question. If you could go back and right any wrong in history - historic or personal - without having to worry about any of that Star Trek past changing the future paradox shit, what wrong would you right?

Posted by Chris at July 18, 2008 6:41 AM
Comments

one word...slavery

Posted by: the unicorn at July 18, 2008 7:03 AM

↑ I hope you meant so that it never happened....

kidding aside, I beleive that slavery would be one thing that I would have liked to never have believed exsisted...same as the holocaust and any other hate crimes motovated by race. I think the hard part about the question is...there are so many things that happened, how can I choose only one? On the other hand...these horrible pages from our history also shape us into the people we are today.

Good, yet tough question.

Posted by: harrylips at July 18, 2008 7:21 AM

Holy crap, Andy Dick has kids? I find that to be the most frightening thing of all.

Posted by: jaime at July 18, 2008 8:03 AM

Ok - I'm going for the personal history:
I would have paid more attention to the migraine headaches my mother had while I was growing up and the time she blacked out at a traffic light (I think I was in college so I somewhat have an excuse)and would take her to a neurologist ASAP and maybe her brain tumor would have been detected early enough that she could have had surgery to give her at least a few more years to live instead of just the 2 months she lived after she was diagnosed. Because she was only 64 and never lived to see any of her grandchildren (or see me get married).

Posted by: NancyJak at July 18, 2008 8:04 AM

I would go back in time and make sure that OJ got a fair trial and was found innocent of murder he clearly did not committ...wait a minute...o h never mind.

Posted by: William at July 18, 2008 8:24 AM

Holocaust.

Posted by: Dawn at July 18, 2008 8:25 AM

1)Mia is darling, but I don't have to tell you that....

2)I want your playlist...

3)Picture the Winehouse-Dick Wedding. More nose powder and booze than I don't know what.

4)9-11 I'd change that.

Hope your weekend is full of healthy kids and lots of rest!

Posted by: crookedeyebrow at July 18, 2008 8:32 AM

Love your play list. I have a similar one (though not nearly as long. I'm real heavy into Tranquilty Bass right now. But I also dipped deep into the '70s and '80s. My wife has a separate playlist on the same mp3 player. On a road trip this week, she selected "play all" instead of her playlist. She felt the need to call me at work at scold me, "You have some good stuff on there, but Molly Hatchet? Please!"

She isn't getting it. Flirting With Disaster is a great road song.

Things I would change? Personally, most of the way I behaved from 1987-1991. Historically, I would take Hitler out of the picture before he got revved up.

Posted by: Jeff St Real at July 18, 2008 8:37 AM

to have to choose one thing is hard.

I'd like to change the whole institution that built up around christianity - no more church (of any denomination) in the terms of power structures and conclaves of men schemeing for more power and money. No more abuse of women in the name of holyness, etc etc.

Posted by: mamacrow at July 18, 2008 8:47 AM

Historic and Personal - 9/11

Posted by: diane at July 18, 2008 8:51 AM

You know my answer would be to have my daughter live. Nuff said.

The Schadenfreude, you got absolutely right! LOL!

Posted by: Maribeth at July 18, 2008 8:58 AM

At first I was feeling like an asshole, thinking I wouldn't change anything and that even the bad things have been experiences to learn from. But then I thought of something.

That lil ol' election in 2000? I'd have the recount and all the hooha end in Gore's favor.

Posted by: sarah at July 18, 2008 8:58 AM

You're an awesome father for sleeping on the floor with her; I can only hope my husband would do something similar for our kids. (I kind of think he would).

It's hard for me to say I would change ANYthing. I mean, not that they should have happened but at the same time, bad things have to happen so we can appreciate the good and learn from mistakes. But if I HAD to, I guess it would be any of the crap done in WWII and the Civil War, because those were just too damn bloody.

Posted by: claire at July 18, 2008 9:04 AM

I'd go back to England 7 years ago when using dial-up was the option I had. I'd buy a beat-up desktop and set it up as a massive firewall, so in order to hopefully stop the fine folks that tunneled in and stole the identity. Being dial-up and the way that it is, a massive firewall might've made little difference, but it would've done a better job of tracking incoming IPs and some other handy junk that firewalls do.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at July 18, 2008 9:07 AM

Awesome playlist. I can't afford that many downloads so I could never match it, but I am envious.

If I could change anything...I think I would just make sure the Africans throughout civilization were just better armed and knew how to use them. I think the demographics of the world would be slightly different in that scenario.

Posted by: Candy at July 18, 2008 9:11 AM

I have no idea what I'd do. I've not yet had enough coffee to appropriately ponder this question.

I just wanted to explode over here about Rush on TCR. I was so. freaking. excited. I missed last night, when I guess they showed them still playing? Stephen was cracking me up. And ugh, Neil! Neil! Neil! I was so excited! I was sending my brother random emails during it because I knew he was watching too. Or would be. That whole episode was full of epic awesomeness.

OH! I loved it when Stephen asked Neil what his favorite color was and he said red and then Jimmy put the red filter on the camera. I lol'd hard.

I'm deliriously tired. heh

Posted by: Sparkle Pants at July 18, 2008 9:16 AM

I thought Andy Dick was gay.

There are so many rights to wrong: Trail of Tears popped up first but I would expand that to the damage we did in general to the Native Americans.

Posted by: Arwen at July 18, 2008 9:42 AM

Totally awesome shot of Mia, it kills me how perfectly adorable and shiny she is! :D

Playlist - coveting!

My reads - none, I'm waiting frothy mouthed for book 4 of the series I've been reading to be released.....

Posted by: Kris at July 18, 2008 10:08 AM

What an awesome father you are sleeping on the floor with Mia!!

What an adorable daughter you have, also...but you know that.

Things I would change:
World-wide: Hitler and everything wrong he did to the world

Personal: I would've taken my Dad's advice and left the church before I married my first husband...it would've saved me a lot of heartache

Posted by: Krush at July 18, 2008 10:27 AM

Hmmm,
the first things that comes to mind is either the Holocaust or the War in Iraq (or whatever the shit they're calling it, since, y'know it's not a war "on" Iraq, just Terrorism, but Iraqi Terrorism specifically, I'm assuming??).

Your playlist is rad.

I may check that book out. I tend to purchase all of my reads from Goodwill so I usually read reeeeally old books, i.e. "current" read is The Man Who Fell to Earth, I really don't love love it but I can't stop reading it?

Mia is flippin adorable! Have an awesome weekend!

Posted by: Mymilabean at July 18, 2008 10:31 AM

Not smart enough to answer hypothetical.

Andy Dick has that many kids? Seriously? That's just... scary? sad?

On another note... we had a trouble sleeper so we started a policy where the kids were allowed to "build a nest" (pillow/blanket) in our room on the floor if they had a nightmare or something. This came with a price - they weren't allowed to wake us unless they were puking, bleeding, or really, really needed help. Result: We got more sleep, no one kicked us in the head/kidneys and they sleep in their rooms today.

Also, you guys have the cutest kids ever.

Posted by: sunshine at July 18, 2008 10:41 AM

Ha! http://www.flickr.com/photos/almostlucid/2677205632/

There are so many injustices in our human history, you could argue the Holocaust, Stalin's reign, Pearl Harbor (and it's result), 9/11, etc etc... but I'd probably like to go back in time and get the Jesus thing right. I'd write an accurate story of his life and destroy all others. I can't help but think that we won't survive as a race until we all get closer on the religion thing. Jesus' seems like the most fictional story of the lot, and has caused the most irrational deaths.

Posted by: Brad at July 18, 2008 11:16 AM

Rush like Geddy Lee...Neal Peart Rush?

Posted by: kalisa at July 18, 2008 11:22 AM

Bush being elected!

Posted by: Jill at July 18, 2008 11:50 AM

Eh, Winslow's a kook, a non-surfer attempting to write like he knows the sport. If you like "surf noir", read Kem Nunn's "Tapping The Source" or "The Dogs of Winter".

Posted by: Jason at July 18, 2008 2:37 PM

I wouldn't change one thing recently, because it didn't start recently.

I don't know where it started, but it was a long time ago, but I'd change how the world ended up the way it has. ALL of it! Guess start with Adam and Eve if you believe in that.

Posted by: been there, done that at July 18, 2008 2:57 PM

Your beautiful daughter looks just like your beautiful wife. What a great picture!

Posted by: Julie at July 18, 2008 3:44 PM

Nice playlist... :)
Gorgeous kid ... she looks like Beth.

Posted by: Nat at July 18, 2008 3:58 PM

I have so many personal do-overs I would love to have, I don't even know where to start!

Posted by: Tuesday at July 18, 2008 4:50 PM

I've always been a big believer that everything happens for a reason...but I'll play along. I have two actually. The first is I'd like to go back to the year before I was born and tell my mom to take my great-grandma out of the nursing home she was in. When she went to visit, she wanted to and didn't and Grandma was dead by their hands the next week. She needed some assistance, but she'd have been cool with a private nurse and she probably could have lived ten more years.

The other isn't as easy, because I'm not sure where I could have made a difference...but a friend of mine killed himself 9 years ago and I'd love to go back and have the chance to try and save him from himself.

and hey, I haven't been around in a while...just started my blog up again. Super congrats to you and Beth about Owen. He's beautiful.

Posted by: Issa at July 18, 2008 9:34 PM

Great playlist.

Gorgeous kid.

Do over? Out there version: If there was a way to pinpoint when it happened, when we as a species made that leap from prey animal to thinking man. If we could have made that transition cleanly. Left all of the prey and survival thinking in it's proper place. Elevated beyond the primal things that make us wage wars as nations and abuse others as individuals.

Recent version: Erase the Nazis, and maybe Amy Winehouse and Andy Dick could get thrown in, like a little gift with purchase?

Posted by: OS at July 19, 2008 12:27 AM

George W. Bush's Presidency. The Holocaust. Slavery. Religion's unfortunate and long-held belief that women are secondary citizens... with the "bonus" that the most flawed male is still superior in all ways to the most intelligent and discerning woman. JFK, RFK, MLK JR and Lincoln would never have been assassinated. Vietnam and "Operation Iraqi Freedom". John Lennon would still be around and Elvis would be collecting Social Security. Change my major in college. The Bridges of Madison County would never have been written. New Coke. The elimination of light brown M&Ms. Gilmore Girls would not be cancelled.

Posted by: apathy lounge at July 19, 2008 9:00 AM

My, your daughter is gorgeous.

Tough call, but I think it'd be eliminating slavery. It's the root of so much racial prejudice and problems in this country (and elsewhere) to this day.

It's hard though - the treatment of Native Americans, Darfur, the Holocaust, Rwanda, Serbia. People have been just awful to each other over and over again.

Posted by: Kimberly at July 19, 2008 9:54 PM

Playlist: Dude, you are such a white boy!

Schadenfreude: At least Amy Winehouse has talent. Andy Dick is just a loser.

Hypothetical: So hard. You could say the Holocaust brought about the state of Israel. Stalin's massacres cooled the fervor for Communism. Slavery is so embedded in American culture, good and bad. Even 9/11, that probably got Bush re-elected and hastened the chastening of Capitalism. So I would change something that caused a lot of misery and has had no good come of it. Maybe Katrina could have twirled out to sea and spared my beloved New Orleans a few more years (until Obama was president?).

Posted by: Laura at July 20, 2008 3:06 PM

The picture is adorable. :)

What I'd do different?
I'd go back to August 1992 and when I fell in love with Hubs I'd be damn unapologetic about our age difference and have a "to hell with what people think" attitude. And when my family told me that if I married him I was no longer part of the family, I'd be the one to say "Remember YOU made that choice" and walk away, right then and there.

Posted by: Scattered Mom at July 21, 2008 1:29 AM