July 25, 2008

The Weeklies #46

The Weekly Thing I Don't Understand: Really terrible street musicians with elaborate setups. There are two guys who play, separately at different times, close to a subway station I pass walking to work. One has this elaborate setup involving pre-recorded tracks, a massive sound system, and a fully-miked saxophone. The other has this double-keyboard setup, another massive sound system and even a little tiny midi program terminal. The thing is, they both really, really suck.

The Weekly Produce Explosion: Our single tomato plant has 38 tomatoes growing on it.

The Weekly Read: When I was a kid, I remember my parents devouring John D. McDonald's Travis McGee novels. A friend who I've been trading pulp fiction noir paperbacks with for a while convinced me I should give them a shot. I picked up the first McGee novel, The Deep Blue Good-By. I guess I'm a little surprised. Instead of the light, fluffy, fast read I thought I'd get, I learned that McDonald can really write. And while there's a certain pulp-noir feel to the novel, it's not light. I've already picked up the next book in the series if that's any indication of how I felt.

The Weekly TV Addiction: I'm hopelessly addicted to HGTV's Design Star.

The Weekly Schadenfreude: Conservative Asshat Robert Novak hit a pedestrian here in DC yesterday and just kept on driving. Apparently he didn't know that he'd struck the guy - who ended up in the hospital - despite the fact that, according to eyewitnesses, the dude was sprawled across Novak's windshield. This comes a few years after Novak gave an interview in which he declared his deep and abiding hatred of jaywalkers.

The Weekly Plug for Crossed Fingers: Please cross your fingers, toes and any other appendages that it's a nice day tomorrow. It's Mia's birthday party. And if we have to do it inside, I'm likely to lose my mind.

The Weekly Hypothetical: You must choose one song that epitomizes you. What song is it? And why?

Posted by Chris at July 25, 2008 6:29 AM
Comments

Nickleback's rockstar...it's not my kind of music but it hits the nail on the head.

I will ask Jesus for good weather for you. I know how tight you two are...lol

Posted by: harrylips at July 25, 2008 6:58 AM

The Good Life by Weezer…although it's no longer time I got back to the good life, for a long time in my life this song defined how I was living and what I needed to do.
I need good weather tomorrow for my 5K as well, so I'll do an anti-heat, anti-rain dance for the both of us.

Posted by: Beth at July 25, 2008 7:10 AM

we have a lot of street musicians here in portland. i can't think of any overly accessorized ones right now, but my least favorite is the nice little old piccolo player who reads a book while playing his piccolo in his wheelchair. sounds endearing, i know. but you can hear this piccolo from blocks and blocks away and he is only playing one scale up and down. do dee do dee doooooooooooooooooooooooo do dee do dee doooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo... for hours. for days. FOREVER.

Posted by: kati at July 25, 2008 7:32 AM

Okay, The Beatles, "Mother Nature's Son (Daughter)"
I'm just that simple, quiet type of person, I think.

Posted by: Maribeth at July 25, 2008 7:40 AM

otis redding.... lean on me.... it comes in my head whenever i just need something from the universe.... weird... but uplifting for me just the same

and i'll take the rain here... cuz we are supposed to get it saturday and sunday...and it usually hits me before heading your way...you have a good party!

Posted by: the unicorn at July 25, 2008 7:42 AM

See ya tomorrow!

Posted by: jodifur at July 25, 2008 8:07 AM

Sorry, I have to get back to the street performers. If you've ever been to Ocean City, MD (and I'm thinking you have, living near D.C.), you will see a man, playing a violin (ALWAYS the song from "Titanic" My Heart Will Go On) with a BOSE SOUND SYSTEM, asking for money under pictures of his kids.

I don't know -- maybe SELL the BOSE sound system to feed your kids? This is going on 7 years now, I'm not kidding.

Good luck with Mia's b-day party!

Posted by: Robyn at July 25, 2008 8:11 AM

REM, Everbody Hurts Sometimes.
Because it's for every mood in a way - it's a down quiet moody song, but, actually then you realise it's a huge uplifting reconnecting optimistic celebration song.

Articulates my take on life to a T really.

Posted by: mamacrow at July 25, 2008 8:27 AM

Songs? Dylan's "Forever Young" or James Brown "Get Up Off of That Thing". The first for the actual lyrics, the second just because if I was a wrestler that is what they would play when I walked out.

What about you Mr. Cactus?

Posted by: Mymilabean at July 25, 2008 8:53 AM

The Cranberries Dream. I just love that song and I love the feeling that I get when I listen to it when I'm outside for a walk/run.

If we're talking only beats here though my beat song is Cantaloupe Island. Listen to that beat and you can get wrapped up in a smile.

Posted by: Cass at July 25, 2008 9:04 AM

I was most surprised that Novak drives a Corvette. He seems like he'd be more of a Lincoln or Caddy driver. I heard a hysterical clip on the radio where the interviewer asked "and so you just kept going?" and he, rather helplessly, replied "Yes."

I'm going with Back in Black as my song. Not because the lyrics have anything to do with me or my life, but it is the first song that popped into my head. Otherwise, I'll put way too much thought into trying to come up with the perfect song that epitomizes me. And I am wearing black pants today, so in a way, I am Back in Black right this second.

Posted by: bad penguin at July 25, 2008 9:33 AM

Good weather wishes comin' your way!

I spend a lot of time listening to the words of songs - the lyrics can make or break it for me. I'm not so proud to admit that one of the songs I most identify with is "Unfold" by Marie Digby: "I don't want to go on living being so afraid of showing someone else my imperfections..."

Posted by: sarah at July 25, 2008 9:46 AM

We have discovered that birds love cherry tomatoes.

Send the rain our way - we'll take all you can spare.

Song? It changes from day to day as do I.

Have a wonderful birthday party.

Posted by: Ann Adams at July 25, 2008 9:47 AM

Ben Folds Five "Kate." He wrote it for me. Only I don't smoke pot. (He only said he THINKS I smoke pot, and I don't. Wanted to clarify)

Posted by: k8 at July 25, 2008 9:51 AM

Christmas Wrapping by the Waitresses.

I'm not sure I can explain why, but the song made me cry one year every time it was on. It's not because the song epitomizes my life, but because it's everything I missed in life. I never really dated, never had that kind of single life they sing about in the song and it makes me depressed every Christmas when I hear it. Damn those waitresses and their cranberries.

Posted by: Candy at July 25, 2008 10:10 AM

Video, India.Arie

For now. Just a place I'm trying to get to.

Posted by: patricia at July 25, 2008 10:36 AM

Happy sysadmin day!

have a laugh or two.

(sorry cant think of a song, mostly because I don't feel like it)

Posted by: jessica at July 25, 2008 10:42 AM

I missed to Novack story. Kiss his career goodbye I hope. God all sorts of song speak to me in different ways.

I'm going to pick Anthem. Hopeful and cynical at the same time.

Posted by: Nat at July 25, 2008 10:49 AM

Good luck tomorrow!

Song - so hard to pick. I'm kind of in love with Jaime Cullum's Photograph right now. I guess because it reminds me to enjoy today.

May you enjoy a sunny weekend.

Posted by: sunshine at July 25, 2008 10:51 AM

Forgot to add that it's a Leonard Cohen song.

Posted by: Nat at July 25, 2008 10:52 AM

lol, good luck with the party! I already have plans to do Button's 3 year party at the Wiggly Play Center, where I can turn the kids loose, hide in a corner and not have to worry about anyone escaping.

Posted by: Amy at July 25, 2008 11:15 AM

I been nursing an unbelievable literary crush on Travis McGee for years. I've read every book in the series at least three times.

Posted by: MamaKaren at July 25, 2008 11:20 AM

REM - Everybody Hurts

I feel this embodies me best, everyone really. It makes me feel sane and not alone in a world were most people live in their own little bubbles it shows that each of us have a common bond. Good and Bad.

Posted by: Kelly M. at July 25, 2008 11:36 AM

The Weekly Hypothetical: Bitch by Meredith Brooks

Why?: Self explanatory, I think :-)

Keeping my fingers crossed for SUNSHINE for Mia for tomorrow!

Posted by: zanie at July 25, 2008 11:56 AM

Best of You by Foo Fighters.

The song rocks and the lyrics are sort of a wake up call to stop hating yourself and get on with life. Dave's a pretty deep dude, as well as being musically talented.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at July 25, 2008 12:03 PM

It's hard to pick one song. As soon as I do, I think of another.
Anticipation by Carly Simon, Overs by Simon and Garfunkel, I Will by the Beatles. As you can see by my choices, I am old!
Hoping for no rain tomorrow.

Posted by: peggy at July 25, 2008 12:16 PM

Roadhouse Blues by the Doors. At least for the younger Ames.

Lately. I dunno. Is there a good song about being stressed out by your dayjob, ignoring housework and taking as many naps as you can?

Posted by: Amy at July 25, 2008 1:27 PM

No way I can find one song like that. You've stumped me.

Posted by: Brad at July 25, 2008 1:37 PM

*downer alert*

patty griffin's "rain." at least right now, but surely not forever. surely.

what about you? wouldn't it be just to share yours as well?

Posted by: jessica at July 25, 2008 2:25 PM

didn't you ride in an elevator with Robert Novak one time?

Posted by: kalisa at July 25, 2008 3:17 PM

Hmm, I really couldn't nail down one song for my whole life, but I will say that for the past few years it would be Breakable by Ingrid Michaelson.

I'll endeavor to hang on the to the rain here tonight, so it doesn't hit you guys till after the party!

Posted by: Mandy Lou at July 25, 2008 4:07 PM

You know, I just looked at the title and saw it was week 46, sheesh, I remember when you started doing the weekly thing!
As for a song, gosh, not one off the top of my head.
Fingers crossed for good weather!

Posted by: Dianna at July 25, 2008 4:49 PM

I used to think my song was "Iris" by Goo Goo Dolls. But maybe I was just being melodramatic. ;)

Posted by: Tink at July 25, 2008 5:34 PM

Fingers crossed for you. My song is "Dancing Queen" by ABBA and has been since I was seven. After I mocked your playlist last week, please feel free to have the last laugh!

P.S. My husband came across two gigantic pink rabbits on the Tube in London 10 years ago. They played "Part Time Lover" on the saxophone over and over again.

Posted by: Laura at July 25, 2008 6:40 PM

The Scientist by Coldplay.

For some reason lately the chorus just goes round and round my head...I even sang it to my ob between contractions when I was having Daisy! She told me if I could still sing I could push harder!

So this is me for the moment. But I'm not sure why really I guess I just at time I never would have thought that parenting could be so hard you know???

Good luck for tomorrow! Hope the weather is fab.

Posted by: Beth at July 25, 2008 10:43 PM

Damn! My tomato plants are lagging. They've finally flowered (and about time), but no fruit yet. I NEED TOMATOES.

It's going to be a gorgeous day tomorrow - no worries. Happy birthday to Mia!

Posted by: Melissa at July 26, 2008 12:21 AM

The radar's lookin' clear, so I'm hoping you've got sunny skies for the par-tay!

I'd have to go with "Carolina In My Mind" by James Taylor as the song.

Posted by: coolchick at July 26, 2008 12:47 PM

OK - frigging raccoons have eaten ALL of my tomatoes. Every time I get a tiny green one, it's gone the next day.

Posted by: manager mom at July 26, 2008 8:40 PM

Dude, I have a soundtrack for EVERYONE, myself included. Opening and closing credits? Favorite Things, Beth Hart and Raised on Robbery, Joni Mitchell. Just cause.

Posted by: Mr Lady at July 27, 2008 4:37 PM

Bob Dylan Forever Young - damn, that's a good song. just had hop back on here and applaud that one.

Posted by: mamacrow at July 27, 2008 5:36 PM

I think those musicians must want to go to Hollywood!

Posted by: Lori Anderson at July 27, 2008 9:33 PM

I will recommend not to hold back until you earn enough amount of cash to buy all you need! You can just take the mortgage loans or just car loan and feel free

Posted by: RichmondAnnabelle at August 19, 2011 6:15 AM