August 14, 2008

Poll Position

Not all of you are political. Some of you shy away from conversations that involve politics and some of you don't give two shits (or even one) about the whole process. And that's cool. As long as you plan on voting. Because, as long as you're a citizen, not a convicted felon (are any of you convicted felons because that could be interesting) and not planning on scrawling Lynryd Skynyrd as your write-in candidate, it's pretty much the most important thing you can do this year (with the possible exception of commenting on this post which is actually the most important thing you can do today). I'm a curious guy. And I love politics. And you. So, naturally I'm curious about what you guys thing about politics and what it says about my readers as a group. Get set for a little informal poll action. (I said poll not pole.)

We know several things about politics that are relevant to the discussion. There are two candidates - John McCain and Barak Obama - unless you count Ralph Nader which, please don't, because the less attention we pay him now, the faster he'll go away. There are far more issues than candidates - jobs, the economy, national stance on Celene Dion, oil, the environment, will Pink Floyd ever reunite, foreign policy, peace in the Middle East, revealing the mysteries of Lost, illegal immigration and the war in Iraq. Then there are other issues, less tangible, less cut and dried - age, experience, personal lives, backgrounds, race and ethnicity and plain old gut reaction.

Here's where you come in. I want your thoughts on the following questions.
- Which candidate do you think will win in November?
- Does this differ from the candidate you want to win?
- Which issues matter most to you?

Posted by Chris at August 14, 2008 7:23 AM
Comments

I am never political, but since you asked...I hope John McCain will win. I think he has more experience and understanding of World issues.
However, I believe that Barack Obama will win due to his youth and likability.

Posted by: Maribeth at August 14, 2008 7:42 AM

1)Probably McCain
2)It differs greatly since I really do not like either choice.
3)the war is right up there along with the fact that they are taking away personal freedoms every time someone gets a wild hare up their @$$. I think we need to start focusing more on the home front and less on everyone else. This country has some serious problems from within it and they are focusing on everyone else's problems instead!

There I said it, and I feel better now!

Posted by: Jeff A at August 14, 2008 7:54 AM

I think I can safely speak on behalf of every Canadian I know personally (which is NOT to say I speak on behalf of ALL Canadians) when I say PLEASE GOD LET OBAMA WIN. Just sayin'. Sometimes a swing in the opposite political direction is exceedingly good for the country. Again, from my non-American perspective.

Posted by: Shannon at August 14, 2008 7:58 AM

I hope Obama will win. I didn't want either Obama or McCain, but I believe Obama will be the definite lesser of the two evils. Not to say Obama is truly evil I just think he is a bit unexperienced...and I'm truly afraid for his life shoudl he win actually. So therefore, I'm hoping he picks a really great VP. (This is my theory why Bush has not had an attempt on his life -- his VP!)

The war, the economy, the reputation of the U.S. to the world, the enviornment

Posted by: daisy at August 14, 2008 8:26 AM

think will win: Obama
want to win: McCain - I just don't trust Obama
issues - right now, ironically, bringing home the soldiers and immigration laws

Posted by: Alissa at August 14, 2008 8:27 AM

think will win: Obama
want to win: McCain - I just don't trust Obama
issues - right now, ironically, bringing home the soldiers and immigration laws

Posted by: Alissa at August 14, 2008 8:27 AM

a) I go back and forth on this question. I am not sure who will win and the number of people in America who have never bothered to read anything about either candidate scares the hell out of me.
b) I fervently hope Obama wins.
c) In order of importance to me:
Healthcare
Destruction of our freedoms and the treatment of the Constitution like toilet paper
Wars : all 3 of them:Afghanistan,Iraq,Idotic War on Terror
Economic issues

Posted by: tulip at August 14, 2008 8:29 AM

Want to win: Obama
Think will win: honestly can't say, have kind of stopped following
Most important issue: international relations and the war in Iraq

Posted by: Hannah at August 14, 2008 8:32 AM

Want to win - Obama
Think will win - Hard to say - and hard to gauge in this part of my world - as most people I know are pretty conservative and even my former Hilary-loving stepmother has now gone to the McCain camp now that Hilary is out of the running (I don't get it).
Issues that are important - ENVIRONMENT! War in Iraq. Healthcare. Keeping abortions legal (what did Clinton say? Safe, legal, rare?).

Posted by: Sarah at August 14, 2008 8:38 AM

I think Obama will win. McCain is a nice guy, but I think he is too much like Bush and I want to get out of this deep hole they've dug. I think McCain is misrepresenting himself in his campaign. People think he won't raise taxes if he goes into office. Are they insane?? How do they think we're going to pay for the war - monopoly money??

Nope - I'm voting for Obama.

Issues: The war grinds on my nerves every day. We should not be there at all - so let's find a way to get out. Let's stop putting $$$ in every other country but our own. Important to me and my family: the sagging economy, healthcare (or lack of it), social security (I've been paying forever - will I get anything back?), and the environment. Not necessarily in that order, but they all weigh heavily on my mind.

Posted by: Kris at August 14, 2008 8:40 AM

I want Obama to win. Unfortunately, I think McCain will win. Not because I feel he is the better candidate but because there are too many people in our country who dislike those that are different from them.

As far as the most important issue. Wow. Too many to list here. How about I say the entire way our country is headed? The wars, the attempted use of the Constitution to trample our rights, health care, etc.

Posted by: Jennifer at August 14, 2008 8:52 AM

Oh sigh. I don't even want to admit what I am going to say. I think McCain is going to win but I hope with all my might that Obama does. I know I'll be there bright and early voting for him. I guess the issues that matter the most to me are getting the troops home and trying to recover some shred of our dignity via fixing our economy. I don't hold a lot of hope that gas prices will magically lower but maybe we can begin implementing tactics to start alternative fuel usage. It seems like just a dream right now, even though they are out there.

Posted by: Claire at August 14, 2008 9:03 AM

I am not optimistic about any more elections after 2000 and 2004. I think McCain has a great shot at it.

I'm voting for Obama, and would vote twice if it were only a misdemeanor.

Imperialism as it relates to Economics. I want us out of Iraq so we can focus on our own country for a while.

Posted by: Brad at August 14, 2008 9:06 AM

I honestly can't call this one, but I want it to be Obama and I am a personal freedoms girl.

Posted by: Melissa at August 14, 2008 9:10 AM

#1 and #2 -- OBAMA (oh please, oh please, oh please). Due to the disgusting amounts of money we spend DAILY in Iraq and the horrible state of affairs in our own country, my focus this election season is on domestic issues. Priority one -- safely withdraw from Iraq. Priority two --turn this economy around. And healthcare.

Posted by: Robyn at August 14, 2008 9:25 AM

Yes, I will definitely vote. But for who is undecided as of now. I don't feel completely comfortable with either choice.

Posted by: diane at August 14, 2008 9:26 AM

I think it's really too close to call but I hope Obama will win. I spend most of my time getting my daily politics from the Daily Show so that tells you where my head is at.

I'm voting for Obama. And if he doesn't win I'm considering moving to Canada. Or London. Seriously.

What issues matter to me? Getting out of the Middle East, the economy, education, social security (as it pertains to my mom's ability to survive - I'm not banking on it being around for me), and health care (with the same reason as social security).

Posted by: Jen at August 14, 2008 9:33 AM

I think Obama will win. I'm not so sure that's what I hope for, but I'm not so sure I like McCain, either. I tend to think that McCain is the lesser of two evils, but I haven't really made up my mind yet who I will vote for. I WOULD have voted for Hillary, I think, had she won the nomination.

Issues most important to me? Education. The War. Energy costs. Poverty.

Posted by: Alissa at August 14, 2008 9:40 AM

I *think* Barack will be winning.

I'd *rather* see McCain take office.

I *WANT* Romney to win, based on the following issues that are the most important to me (shhhh, just let me believe ok?):
1. The Economy- to wrap it up in a nutshell, someone needs to fix this, and it needs to be someone who knows what they're doing.
2. SMALL GOVERNMENT- get out of my pocket and let me send my money where I want it to go. Also, stop telling us what to do all the time, we don't need red tape to tie up EVERYTHING.

Also, consider this: after 8 years of W. Bush, even a die hard conservative like me can see that we need someone who can work on both sides of the aisle to unify this country. As much as I LOVE Obama as a person, and would love to see him continue in politics because I think he has a great message that the Democratic Party could really benefit from, I just don't think he's the guy to straddle the party lines. Oddly, he's pretty polarizing, and people either LOVE him, or resent his popularity, you don't get a lot of "meh" when it comes to Barack and that could be an issue for this country following a highly polarizing two term administration. McCain is the most liberal conservative I think I've ever seen, and way back in the primary days, I used to stomp around the house grumbling about how he was a liberal in sheep's clothing.

ALSO, please to consider this: HOW MUCH of a difference would it make to get someone in charge of this war who KNOWS what he's DOING and could more effectively manage what we're doing? McCain is not battle happy- he's a veteran who understands what it means to be serving your country on the battlefield. I truly think he'd effectively manage what Bush started and is probably the guy who could most effectively get us out of the situation with maybe even some positive results. I'd be willing to give him the money to manage the war, if I thought he was managing it right with the goal of bringing and end to the combat and our commitment.

But anyway, the bottom line is: McCain wouldn't necessarily be my top choice, but given our current options, he's at least middle of the road enough to keep the majority of people happy.

Also, Federally Managed Healthcare scares the BEJEZZUS out of me- I like to pretend that none of them will be able to pass any sort of reforms (I have yet to see a plan that wouldn't wreck our healthcare system) (Except for Mitt Romney, he had an excellent plan. He was the best Governor ever).

Posted by: chatty cricket at August 14, 2008 9:46 AM

I think it's time for a change and I want Obama to win although people I talk to who (supposedly know more than I) tell me I should want McCain to win because I am a small business owner and should be voting republican. Unfortunately at this point in my life, I don't really trust ANY politician and know everyone in general is only out for their own good. But I really think it's time for a change.
Unfortunately, I think McCain will win for the same reason someone else said which is -- people don't like people who are different than them. So really let's put another old guy in office and see how much further into the depths of hell we can be dragged.
I don't even think I believe at this point that the President actually IS in charge. So maybe we should hold an election as to who he gets to select as his advisors. And maybe the vice president's position should be it's own separate election.
Biggest issue to my is HEALTH CARE and EDUCATION.

Posted by: NancyJak at August 14, 2008 9:49 AM

*Obama (Oh dear god, how could they lose again?!)
*I want Obama to win.
*Healthcare, Supreme Court appointees, U.S. reputation abroad, war, economy

Love politics. Used to live in Iowa. We got a lot more candidate action then and volunteering on campaigns was fun. Hoping to score tix to Obama's speech. We're supposed to start getting notification today if we applied in time. Cross your fingers!

Posted by: sunshine at August 14, 2008 10:00 AM

Want: Obama. I hear reports that he'll win...predictions and such...but we're living in a country of fools that elected GWBush TWICE!! And by the way, they elected him because he SOUNDED like a middle-of-the road guy and look where he really is? He's still the poster boy for the fundamentalist fringe element. I don't trust McCain. I can only hope that the recent debacle regarding Edwards infidelily will come back to haunt McCain. FOX NEWS is trying their best to give McCain a free pass since he was in Vietnam (Hey, all you veterans! FOX NEWS thinks it's okay to cheat on your wife if you've served your country!! Go on! Drop those drawers!) and now Rush Limbaugh is blaming Edwards's wife for the infidelity because..."she's too smart". Rush Limbaugh is a big, fat cancer.

Posted by: apathy lounge at August 14, 2008 10:07 AM

I'm not exactly "versed" in this whole politics thing. So, take my opinion for what it's worth, which is not very much at all. I think Obama will win. I want Obama to win. Call it gut, call it the influence of my insanely liberal boyfriend, but I think he'll do a better job. I don't trust McCain. I'm not sure why. It's not the age, and it's not the Republican thing... he just seems desperate, like he's grabbing for straws and it's not really getting him anywhere...

Again, like I said, my opinion isn't worth much because I don't know much about the whole thing...

I care about health care, education, the environment...

Posted by: caleal at August 14, 2008 10:08 AM

I'm voting for Obama. I think he's by far our best choice. He isn't a perfect candidate, but he's waaay better than McCain. Issues of importance to me: health care, education, the war (and any future wars Bush/McCain would like to get us into -- hello, Iran and Georgia!), and personal freedoms.

Who will win? Who knows. Americans have proven themselves to be idiots in the last two presidential elections, so why should this one be any different?

Posted by: Kelly at August 14, 2008 10:12 AM

I'm voting for Obama. I think it's kind of cool that we'll have a president from our generation. Someone who thinks along the lines that we do and isn't so old-school.

Hard to predict who will win, but I think (hope) the country is pretty fed up w/ the past 8 years and ready for a dem in office.

The most important issues to me are:
1) the economy
(duh)

2) healthcare
(because it's totally a basic human right to receive healthcare when one needs it)

3) that my rights as a woman aren't imposed upon
(or completely done away with)

4) that my 15-y-o son won't end up drafted into a war before the next term is over
(or anyone else's child, for that matter)

5) the continued funding of the arts & public radio/television
(my personal cause celeb)

Posted by: kalisa at August 14, 2008 10:38 AM

Think will win: Obama, but it will be close, much like 2000, but McCain will not be litigous and will conceed.

Want to win: McCain, although that really depends on his VP pick because I don't think he has more than one term in him and his VP will have a leg up on the rest of the Republicans in 2012.

Issues of concern: terrorism, foreign policy, the economy, an actual energy plan, judicial nominations (not just the supremes), reduction in pork barrel spending... too many too list, really.

Posted by: myrenovations at August 14, 2008 10:44 AM

Posted by: myrenovations at August 14, 2008 10:45 AM

I honestly have no idea who will win. I hope like hell it's Obama but I worry I've lost my hope in the rest of this country.

My biggest issue is Iraq. Not one more US soldier should lose his or her life in that quagmire. I think I'd vote for Bobcat Goldthwait if he promised to get us out of Iraq. Couldn't be worse than W, could he?

Posted by: donna at August 14, 2008 10:50 AM

1. Obama!
2. Nope, I like Obama - I used to think I could live with McCain, but once I started learning more about him, notsomuch.
3. Environment, healthcare, economy, our reputation abroad (ok, I stole the phrase from another commenter, but I can't think of any better way to say it, and it's WAY high on my list). I like that Obama works for consensus, gets people to agree where they can and move forward. McCain's been around forever and is a bit of a maverick, I think he's ticked too many people off in the long term to be really effective in office.

Posted by: Karen at August 14, 2008 11:15 AM

Maybe I am living in a dreamworld, cocooned within my little metropolitan area, but I was shocked to learn there are people out there who WANT McCain to win. Seriously? People want Republican rule to continue after 8 years of Bush/Cheney?

I hope Obama wins and before I read these comments I thought he would win, too. Now, I'm going to have to leave my protective bubble and check in with the national polls.

Posted by: NGS at August 14, 2008 11:19 AM

I'll preface this by saying I am not, nor have I ever been an American so I cannot vote in your country.

I think McCain will win since he has experience and does strike me as palatable to both sides. However, Obama would be my preferred candidate because you guys need a change of political parties. The current administration has done such great harm to your country and to its perception on the world stage. It is such a shame.

Posted by: Jacqueline at August 14, 2008 11:26 AM

Obama
Obama
The war and personal rights and freedoms staying personal.
Can I just say Obama again? Very excited about that. Besides, I think McCain is a lich.

Posted by: heels at August 14, 2008 11:35 AM

OBAMA.
the end.

Posted by: ali at August 14, 2008 11:36 AM

As in the past couple of elections, I do not feel there is a "right" candidate. Therefore, I will be looking for the lesser of two evils. (It was so bad with Bush & Kerry that I wrote in myself as I thought I could do a better job than either one...yes, I wasted my vote, but I can't be blamed for the outcome.)

Hope will win...Obama (honestly, Hillary by a write-in vote, but I know that won't happen)

Think will win...Obama, he is pulling a lot of the younger, more liberal republicans his way and just may get the younger set out to the polls and interested

Most important issues...the war, the environment, healthcare, the economy/budget

Posted by: Krush at August 14, 2008 11:37 AM

I think McCain will win. This country is just full of voters who are scared witless by anything outside the status quo.

I want Obama to win. I'm a highly partisan Dem and would vote for a duck if they put one on the ticket. Was he my first choice or best choice? No. But I'm coming around. There simply is no alternative for me to consider.

What matters?
To quote the brilliant James Carville, "It's the economy, stupid." And tied into that is healthcare funding/reform, ending the war in Iraq and Afghanistan and whoknowswhereelse by November, and protecting my right to access birth control and have an abortion and raise my child without the interference of religious freaks rewriting policy in the public sector.

hope we're all celebrating here come November 5th.

Posted by: rebecca at August 14, 2008 11:45 AM

i have to think obama will win, although i think it will be close. letting myself think anything else will make me too depressed. i do not have obama-mania, per se, but i have no doubt that another four years of the GOP would be infinitely devastating to the ENTIRE WORLD. in fact, THE UNIVERSE.

Posted by: kati at August 14, 2008 11:49 AM

Think will be elected: Obama?
Want to be elected: OBAMA!!!
Issues: Healthcare, the economy, women's health rights, respect for and compliance with the constitution, future appointments supreme court, the wars.

Posted by: Leeri at August 14, 2008 11:51 AM

I am crossing my fingers that Obama wins - and yes I will be voting for him.

I come from a hard core Republican family - but I vote what I feel is right. I do research and go with my gut as to who I believe will be better for the US over the long haul.

I believe Obama is that man. We've had too much of GW's politics and it's time for a change in political parties. We need to shake things up a bit - internationally he's more accepted - and I like the fact that every time he speaks - there is a feeling of hope that encompasses all that truly listen.

Is he perfect for the job? Probably not, but none of the candidates ever are. I feel that in most of the elections we hear the same thing from most people, "he's the lesser of the evils". What's that say for the type of people we elect each time?

Anyhoo ... my areas of concern - economy, IRAQ, health care and personal rights.

Posted by: Kristy - Where's My Damn Answer at August 14, 2008 11:52 AM

If I could vote (not a citizen yet), I'd vote for Paris. She has the best campaign ad ever.

Posted by: oakley at August 14, 2008 11:58 AM

I really hope Obama will win, but I'm not confident. There is too much ignorance in America for someone with vision to fare well.

My biggest concerns are child-related including the hope that this country can return to the ideals that once made it great.

Posted by: Whit at August 14, 2008 12:24 PM

So, I'm usually not very political but this election has interested me in a way no previous one has. I really feel that neither candidate is qualified to hold the highest position in our land. In fact, if there was a way that both could lose I'd be all for it. That being said I think McCain will probably win although I guess if it came down to it I'd prefer Obama. The issues that are important to me are the environment, funding for education, getting out of Iraq, etc. I really think if there ever was a time now is a time for a legitimate third party. I don't think the standard Republican or Democratic Parties are truly representative of the people anymore. Both have become too extreme and polarized. I would risk saying that MOST Americans are more moderate; somewhere in between the two and there is really no true party that is representative of that. I totally agree that voting is important and I have voted in every election I've been able to however this is the first year that I don't know if in good conscience I can vote for either.

Posted by: Sarah at August 14, 2008 12:29 PM

- Which candidate do you think will win in November? McCain. Dammit.

- Does this differ from the candidate you want to win? Fraid so.

- Which issues matter most to you? The environment. Taxes. Getting our collective shit back together. We've got too many things happening in our own country to be the world's nanny.

But it dosen't really matter, because the President, whoever he is, is just a figurehead, and the puppetmasters are the one with all the $$.

Posted by: Amy at August 14, 2008 12:33 PM

I am Canadian and so my opinion here isn't really what you want I suppose. But I fervently hope that Obama wins. I was FLABBERGASTED when Bush won (both times!!), and I've watched fearfully as he made wacky decision after terrible decision. Go Obama!!

Posted by: Carmen at August 14, 2008 12:49 PM

I... don't know who I think will win. I really think it's going to be a close election.

I'm hoping McCain will win. I fear for my job if Obama wins. Not to mention, as I've mentioned to you before I think, that I have a really bad preminition about Obama. But, regardless, I will support whomever gets into the office.

Posted by: secha at August 14, 2008 12:57 PM

Obama

Probably Obama. I like McCain, but he's a little too close to the GOP side of the house and the GOP need to be put into a corner for awhile to think about what they believe and why they believe it.

How this country defines justice and why the prison system is so overcrowded. Also, why criminal charges are routinely piled one upon another for a single act just to increase the chances of conviction for at least one of them and ensure that the prisons stay filled to capacity.

In all honesty, until we elect a dog, there will never be any hope of trust or unconditional love within the U.S. government. So says my cold, black, cynical heart.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at August 14, 2008 12:58 PM

Will win - Obama (fingers crossed)
Want to win - as long as you've known me, you even have to ask? The McCain of today is not the McCain of even a few years ago and I hope we wake up and realize that eventually.

Issues? All of them but I think the most important to me is the Supreme Court. One more like Scalia or Thomas (or the other two for that matter) and women in this country are doomed.

Senator Obama was not my first choice (Dennis Kucinich was). I voted for Senator Clinton in our primary but said even then that I'd vote for the Democrat still left standing. Anything beats the alternative of 4 more years.

Posted by: Ann Adams at August 14, 2008 12:59 PM

Want to win: I'm scared. Either way.
Think will win: McCain

Issues: Stopping this damned war. Alternative fuel sources, WHILE building more refineries AND tapping into our OWN resources. Health care. Immigration. Doing away with the "patriot" act.

Anyone who thinks the next president can "fix" the economy needs to study the cyclical nature of the economy. We were on a bull's market for quiet awhile - and we should have been preparing for the end of that market - as the economy has ALWAYS cycled. It will come back, as it always does - but the president in office will have little to do with it.

Posted by: Mindy at August 14, 2008 1:06 PM

1. McCain
2. Obama, but I think he's going to lose based on the lack-of-experience issue.
3. Not really an "issue", but I think Obama needs to show that he can first reach across to the other side of the Democratic party by asking Clinton to be his VP. If he can't cope with that, how can we trust that he'll be able to reach across the aisle to get things done with the Republicans?

Posted by: James Proffitt at August 14, 2008 1:47 PM

- Which candidate do you think will win in November?
Obama

- Does this differ from the candidate you want to win?
Obama

- Which issues matter most to you?
Health Care
The Environment
The Economy

Posted by: Aimee Greeblemonkey at August 14, 2008 2:01 PM

1. Obama (but it will be close)
2. Obama. I used to really like McCain, but the McCain of today is not the McCain of 2000, sadly.
3. The same issues that matter to everyone. The economy. Jobs. The War. Whether Radiohead will release their next album for free on the web before it hits the stores.

Posted by: J at August 14, 2008 2:02 PM

I'm guessing that McCain will win - in the end everyone will chicken out or all the old people will actually get out and vote.

I'm hoping Obama will win, I think the nation needs a change and he's the closest chance we have.

It's impossible to decide which issues are important, they are all so important (especially the national stance on Celine Dion - which I think should be NO).

Posted by: Mandy Lou at August 14, 2008 2:05 PM

Yes I do think Obama will win.
I want Obama to win.
Health care, jobs, education, environment, getting out of the war.

Posted by: Issa at August 14, 2008 2:46 PM

I can't separate who I THINK will win from who (whom?) I want to win, so I'm just going to say Obama all around.

My major issues are healthcare, education, the economy, women's/reproductive issues, and getting the fuck out of Iraq.

Posted by: Stephanie at August 14, 2008 3:09 PM

I will vote for McCain because I feel he is the lesser of two evils, the same reason I voted for Bush in the last election. Kerry and Obama both scare the ever loving daylights out of me, but both for different reasons.

I also have no clue who will be elected, it could truly go either way. I fear for Obama's life if he should become president. There are still too many people in this country not ready for a black president. Which is too bad. Not that I would/wouldn't vote for Obama because he's black, just too bad that this country isn't ready for a black and or woman president.

There are too many issues, but living in AZ immigration is the number one on my list.

Posted by: Nessa at August 14, 2008 3:13 PM

Think will win (hope, hope, hope): Obama. Voting for: Obama. I was originally a Clinton supporter, but Obama got so many people fired up that I am hopeful that a real change can happen in this country. My biggest issues are the war, education (I'm a teacher), health care, and keeping abortion legal.

Posted by: Ms. Boombastic at August 14, 2008 3:52 PM

I'm always one of those people who kind of quiet down when people start talking about politics. That said...I think McCain will win, however I don't really like either candidate. I think if it is McCain we will have another 4 years of Bush and the country really can't afford that. If it's Obama, I'm worried that a black suprememcy will rise (not to be racist or anything) and quite honestly I don't think the country is ready for a black president. I'm pretty sure that they are both waiting to announce/pick their vp's intil the other does so that if Obama chooses Clinton, McCain will also pick a woman. Honestly, I think that Hillary would be Obama's only chance at winning and not just because it would be her, but because she would have Bill beside her and most of the country loves him regardless of what he did on his personal time.

Posted by: Dianna at August 14, 2008 4:32 PM

I think Obama will win. I haven't decided whether this is a good thing or not--although leaning more and more toward "good thing" as my good impression of John McCain falters. And the most important issues for me... Iraq and health care, both of which I agree with McCain on :| So yeah.

Posted by: Angela at August 14, 2008 4:49 PM

1) Barack Obama
2) no because......Barack Obama rocks!
3) Education, Economy, and Environment are my top 3

Posted by: Julie Andel at August 14, 2008 5:31 PM

Think will win: McCain. Because '04 proved that 51% of this company are complete fucking idiots. And white fear. That's a factor.

Want to win: Obama. He's the guy. He's smart. Compassionate. Realistic. Hope he can keep his damn pants zipped.

Issues: Economy. Iraq. EDUCATION.

Posted by: Stacy at August 14, 2008 7:21 PM

Issues: Economy. Iraq. EDUCATION.

Posted by: Stacy at August 14, 2008 7:21 PM

- Which candidate do you think will win in November? McCain
- Does this differ from the candidate you want to win? Nope, not at all
- Which issues matter most to you? Terrorism, particularly inside the US; the economy

Posted by: coolchick at August 14, 2008 7:23 PM

well, im canadian. soo....*whistles* but i had to comment to say OMG my husband is quite the political. geek?

he's a writer and is planning two books on political procedures and peacekeeping. so he would have a lot to say on this. while i also do. i just guess, i prefer to not.
i do think though that all the new young voters are going to be very vital in your upcoming election.

Posted by: cri at August 14, 2008 8:10 PM

I think that it will be closer than I would like, but I think the majority of the people that WILL actually vote but don't know a thing about either candidate will vote Obama because, let's face it, no one likes Bush. And if there is one thing that you could be a complete imbecile and still know is that Obama = Change.

That being said, I will be voting Obama for mostly all that he stands for (except legalizing medical marijuana).

If McCain wins, expect to keep sending your family and friends to Iraq until he either a) croaks in office, or b) manages to survive his term and we (hopefully) vote someone in that could do some good for this country.

Posted by: Jennifer at August 14, 2008 8:20 PM

1) I worry america will let (yes I said let) Mc Cain win, since I'm worried that the Hillary supporters will not vote, or write in Hillary.
2) That being said, I was a Hillary supporter, to an extent. I was not, and still am not gung ho about anyone. I know I do NOT support McCain but there is just something about Obama that I just can not support.
3)Financial Aid for college bound, and continuing ed students, alternative energy sources, taking care of america first, and getting the hell out of Iraq

Posted by: Dani at August 14, 2008 9:12 PM

1) Barak Obama
2) I'm not American so I won't be voting
3) The environment

Posted by: Mom On The Run at August 14, 2008 9:45 PM

I would like to see us leave the office UNFILLED.
Make each voter take office for at least a year and see if we can get this country back on track!

There is MY two cents!

Posted by: Gypsy at August 14, 2008 9:53 PM

1) Obama
2) Toss-up. I feel it all depends on what happens leading up to the election. I feel Obama could get thrown/side-tracked and McCain could steal it. I'm still on the fence. I feel Obama is the only choice, but I'm still not happy. I'm anxious to see who his VP choice is.
3) Issues: Iraq, education, economy, keeping abortion legal, environment and tons of other issues.

Posted by: One Moms Opinion at August 14, 2008 11:29 PM

1. Obama
2. yes (This does not mean that I support McCain.)
3. Ones not being discussed.

Posted by: Liz at August 15, 2008 7:37 AM

1. Obama
2. not in the slightest
3. how about the fact that there's a sound bite of McCain saying "in the 21st century, nations do not invade other nations". Uh, where the hell has he been? If he'd bother to actually do the job he was elected to do (he hasn't been to DC to vote or do any committee work since April 2007) he'd realize what an absurd statement that is.

Which leads me to my next thought...who do you want as your next president? The candidate out there not only doing all the campaigning and all that comes with it AND who's going back to DC to do his elected work when needed; or the schmuck who's decided that he doesn't really need to be in DC to do all that work? I don't know about you, but I'm voting for the guy who does his job and then some....

wow, who knew I was feeling so political today? I might have to copy this to my own blog!

Posted by: Michelle at August 15, 2008 8:48 AM

As I am late to the conversation, I see that McCain supporters are few and far between in the comments. I do not know who is going to win at this point, but I hope it isn't Obama. I trust my gut and something about him is dishonest.

McCain is not W but he would not be my first choice either. I just don't believe Obama is remotely qualified.

Posted by: Goodsnake at August 15, 2008 9:25 AM

I'm from the South. You may have seen in the news that the head of the Democratic Party was murdered in his office this week here in my home state. This is relevant to this post because of this: The very first conversations that took place in our office when the news was first breaking, before we knew the truth of what had happened, was our fear that this was the first ugly act of the racist crazies. Several of my friends and I have been holding our breaths and waiting for them to start crawling out from under their rocks. Many of us are old enough to remember a world where terrifying things were done. This time, thankfully, we were wrong. But it illustrates this fear that we have that perhaps the past is not so deeply buried. While it is my hope that Obama wins, my life's experience in a world where racism only very recently went underground (lets be clear, it did not end, and is just as prevalent in other parts of America, only was not so openly voiced as it was in the South for so long) makes me fearful of the reopening of old wounds. But perhaps it is part of how they may finally be truly healed.

Posted by: OS at August 15, 2008 12:15 PM

I haven't any idea who will win.

I want: none of the above.

I don't think that Obama is anything new or different, I think that he is much like Jimmy Carter was, back in the day. Appeals to people, new face, not much experience and wants to change things from the jaded experience people have had. Mostly, I don't think that he has tractable ideas to solve the problems he faces.

I don't think McCain is anything to write home about either. But, he won't rob me quite as blind (just enough money to have to pay a lot of taxes, not enough to pay attorneys to avoid paying a lot of taxes). I resent that I am saving so carefully for my future and am bailing out millions of people that have overstretched their credit.

Frankly, until the process changes, the sort of person that I might trust with the job will never get there.

Posted by: K at August 15, 2008 4:16 PM

I think Obama will win because I'm optomistic to a fault, and I also want him to win because I'm pretty durn rad.

Lynrd Skynrd is my plan B.

Most Important to me? Getting the fuck out of Iraq.

Posted by: mymilabean at August 15, 2008 7:27 PM

Want Obama

Think he'll win as long as he chooses a experienced VP.

Important issue: to use James Carville's reminder on the central issue in Clinton's 92 election... "It's the economy stupid"

Posted by: The Princess at August 15, 2008 10:07 PM

I'm voting for Paris Hilton.

Posted by: GreenCanary at August 16, 2008 12:25 AM

Illegal immigration? I want legal immigration on your politician's agenda. It is so difficult to immigrate if you're hard working, intelligent, bi-lingual people like FreezeM and I. It's unbelievable.

1. McCain
2. Yes, but hey, I am far far far far away from being able to vote in your country.
3. Environment issues matter a lot, but also the war & oil industry and the power it has on us.

Posted by: Nadine at August 17, 2008 9:47 AM

Want: Obama

Think: Very afraid might be John McCain

Issues: Well, since I'm Canadian, I don't have much say, but how about the war/big brother state the US has imposed on its own citizens, the economy, education and health care.

And by the way, if you had any sense, you'd kick that Celine cheese out of the US. But then, we'd have her again, so on the other hand, go ahead and keep her.

Posted by: Mandy at August 17, 2008 11:55 AM

Just want to point something out here. Had this discussion with the surgeon I work for a couple of weeks ago. It is reported that McCain is in fabulous health, despite some melanomas being removed over the past years and even one this year.

Um, so he's NOT in good health. Melanoma is one of those cancers that you drop dead from - sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly, but it WILL get you. And you never know when it's going to strike once you have it. I am not a McCain fan, but will be very, very interested to see who he chooses for VP, because that person is most likely to finish his term.

I'm such a liberal democrat, that I don't even like Obama so much, but I do believe he is something different. And even a little different is better than status quo for the United States. We are not well respected as a country anymore. Do people not understand that? Our debt. Our horrible health care and education? We are no longer a super power and it will take balls for someone to really point that out.

Posted by: k8 at August 17, 2008 8:00 PM

I don't know who will win, I watch Canadian news when I watch. Not to say that Canadian news doesn't report on such things. Beijing is just nabbing all the coverage these days!

I would sure love to see Obama win. I think it would be beautiful for the world. Even though he seems protectionist and that is not overly good for Canada. Just means it's time for my country to diversify.

I hope for a peaceful world where people are taken care of in the areas of health and education. However, I don't think many people would disagree that peace is good, health is good and so is education. I also hope your economy improves. But on a personal level, I hope to come shopping before it gets better!

Posted by: Heather at August 18, 2008 12:24 AM

According to my investigation, thousands of persons all over the world receive the loans at different banks. Thence, there's great possibilities to get a small business loan in all countries.

Posted by: HOOVER21Gena at July 3, 2010 9:35 PM