August 27, 2008

Note To Self #295

Dear Self,

Please remember that, when calling someone named Clint and addressing that person by their first name, it is very important to make sure the name is properly pronounced. In particular, don't forget the n. Should you fail to pronounce the n, the remainder of the phone call could be slightly awkward.

Thanks,
Chris

Posted by Chris at August 27, 2008 6:50 AM
Comments

Oh dear, that could be a tad awkward. Huh, kind of funny though, just laughing with you...not at you!

Posted by: Dianna at August 27, 2008 7:39 PM

Aaaand I just laughed so hard I snorted, thank you very much :P

Posted by: Heather at August 27, 2008 7:52 PM

Actually know someone names Clint. Forwarding commence!

Posted by: oakley at August 27, 2008 7:57 PM

Oops. Yet: hee.

Posted by: Dawn at August 27, 2008 7:58 PM

Just tell him that you were calling him MISTER Clit. Because you admire his way with the ladies. Kind of like "Mr. Pussy."

Yeah, okay, I'm grasping.

Posted by: Jay Andrew Allen at August 27, 2008 8:09 PM

Snort!!!!!
That was WAY better laughing at you than thinking of my crazy day!

Posted by: Gypsy at August 27, 2008 8:46 PM

Yes, something very similar happened to me when I was last speaking with the Danish ruler from the ninth century, King Cnut.

Posted by: Jacqueline at August 27, 2008 8:46 PM

Oh. My. God. I just had this same conversation with myself YESTERDAY. Dude. What if it's the same CliNNNt?

Posted by: April at August 27, 2008 9:01 PM

Hee hee hee. At least you didn't mispronounce Kent, like someone I know, when on the phone to a prospective employer!

Posted by: starrynite at August 27, 2008 9:09 PM

Oh no! And oooops! And HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Posted by: Kimberly at August 27, 2008 9:51 PM

still better than dick, which makes me laugh every single time whether i'm in front of the person or not.

by the way, i am 8 years old.

Posted by: plastic nico at August 27, 2008 10:12 PM

snort. that's unfortunate.

Posted by: jen at August 27, 2008 10:24 PM

I laughed out loud.

Posted by: Writer Dad at August 27, 2008 10:57 PM

Very funny! I laughed out loud.

Posted by: Sarah at August 27, 2008 11:14 PM

I'd also add the name Mike Hunt.

Posted by: Johnny Smoke at August 28, 2008 12:53 AM

Heh, you have my sympathy. My father's middle name is Flucker. You have to be ve-e-e-ry careful with that one.

Posted by: Loth at August 28, 2008 5:49 AM

Something just like this happened to me at work not too long ago. I saw a box near the front of the office that had a name written on it that looked like what you've just written about. You know, the naughty word. And I pointed this out to the person who wrote it by saying, "Um, you know you left the "n" out of Clint's name on that box" with a silly smile on my face. She (and my boss who was also sitting there) looked at me like I was insane. So I repeated myself and then my coworker said "CLIF? That box is for CLIF."

Somehow my brain had reverted to my last place of employment where there was indeed a guy named Clint. But here there's a guy named Clif - and my coworker's handwriting just sucks. "Ohhhhh. Um, yeah. Okay." I said, blushing, and then returned to my office feeling a bit like a moron for having eluding to a naughty word unnecessarily...

Posted by: Liberal Banana at August 28, 2008 11:24 AM

Posted by: Liberal Banana at August 28, 2008 11:24 AM

An honest mistake.

At least you didn't close the call with "I love you." I still am slightly embarrassed by that mistake from 1997.

Posted by: Poppy at August 28, 2008 8:19 PM

One of my good friends' names is Clint... and I have omitted the 'n' more times than I'd like to remember :)

Posted by: Kate at August 28, 2008 8:32 PM

HAHAHAHAHA

Posted by: becky at August 28, 2008 11:22 PM

HAHAHAHAHA

Posted by: becky at August 28, 2008 11:22 PM

Dying here! And now I have to tell my friend Anne, who is married to a Clint, about this. Hee!

Posted by: Kelley at August 30, 2008 6:13 PM

So did you correct yourself so as not to offend, or did you just go on like it never happened to draw less attention to it?

Posted by: angela at August 30, 2008 11:31 PM

HA!!
I would have gone deathly silent, then made sure to say his name again stressing the N to bits, thereby calling greater attention to the prior mistake.

Several years ago, in our post-college 20's, my cousin called her boyfriend and left a message on his answering machine loaded with 'I love you baby, I miss you baby, baby blah blah blah...'(they were kind of gross like that ;-)
and for some reason called him again-
and realized she had somehow remotely recorded her 'baby, baby...' message as the outgoing message on his answering machine.

Well, not as humorous in the telling-
but freaking hysterical at the time -
especially when she dialed again and let me listen :-)

Posted by: Karen at August 31, 2008 6:46 PM

Maybe he's into that. : )

Posted by: mymilabean at September 1, 2008 10:04 PM