August 4, 2008

Picking Fights With A Forest

It was a hell of a weekend (all good) and I'm exhausted. So please excuse me if I take the easy way out and recap it...by the numbers. If you need me, I'll be making my way to the bottom of a pot of coffee.

• Awesome Half-Day Mia-Daddy Adventures: 1
  • Pet stores visited: 1
  • Mexican restaurants eaten in: 1
  • Ice cream scoops eaten: 2
  • Hours spent with Mia showing her daddy's office: 1.5
  • Copies of our hands made on office copiers: 8
  • Trips to Home Depot: 3
  • Indian takeout meals ordered: 1
  • Books finished: 1
  • Trees single-handedly cut down without the aid of any motorized tools: 2
  • Wagonsfull of pears littering the yard after removal of said trees: 2
  • Actual number of pears: a bazillion
  • Gallons of Gatorade consumed: 4
  • Bundles of tree branches I'm hoping the trash guys will take: 25
  • Scratches, dents, cuts, and bruises attained during tree felling: 98
  • Sunburned shoulders: 2
  • Times I muttered, "why the fuck did this sound like a good idea?": 27
  • Advil I expect to have consumed at the end of the 48-hour period ending Tuesday night: 87
  • Hours of massages needed: 12

So, what did you do this weekend? And what were your numbers?

Posted by Chris at August 4, 2008 6:28 AM
Comments

But, but...no more stories of winging pears over the trees at unsuspecting joggers on the track?? It sounds like it was a VERY busy weekend!

Posted by: NancyJak at August 4, 2008 8:10 AM

Books purchased: 1 (Breaking Dawn - Yeah, I'm like a 15 year old trapped in a 31 year old's body)
Pages read so far: 705
Times my six year old clunked me in the head with the rear hatch of the minivan: 1 (and that was ENOUGH)
Drinks I had to erase the mess of a day: 2. 3?
Ill-advised emails sent during the time I was consuming said beverages: I think only 1. Ick.
Cookies eaten for Sunday breakfast: 1
Hours of guilt felt over cookies for breakfast: 10
Kisses from my kids: 1053
Times my kids made me laugh: 34
Times my 6 year old created math story problems that really impressed me: 1 (but my god, she's a freakin' genius)
Hours of sleep I'll need to recover from the weekend: about 90.

Posted by: Sarah at August 4, 2008 8:17 AM

I moved from VT to NYC, without my kitties (for now).
I had Chinese food.
I watched Girls Just Want to Have Fun.
I had a #12 at Johnny Rockets.
I saw Swing Vote while consuming peanut M&Ms and 44 oz of Coke.
I got a manicure.
I talked with the keeper of my kitties who said they are fine.
I bought books to read and Scrabble to play.
I bought iced coffee at one of the closing Starbucks that still apparently isn't aware it's closing.
I goofed off while my boy napped.
I woke up my boy and we ate cold cut sandwiches with his parents.
I played Scrabble.

Pounds gained since arriving: 1.5

Posted by: Poppy at August 4, 2008 8:31 AM

Watermelons picked: 7
Peppers picked: ~180
Watermelons given away: 6
Peppers sliced and canned: 14 quarts
Dogs played with: 1
Times my boys jumped off the diving board at a friends pool: ~1,000,000
Days in the weekend: Not enough

What are you gonna do with all the pears?

Posted by: Alissa at August 4, 2008 8:42 AM

Loads of laundry done....4
Meals cooked.............5
Meals eaten at chinese
buffet...................1
Clothes purchased two
sizes smaller than I was
in May...................3
# of times I walked dogs.9 bazillion
# of naps taken..........2
books started............2
Posts written............3
Vegetables eaten.........6 bazillion
(the garden is in full production)

Posted by: Maribeth at August 4, 2008 8:43 AM

Mmmmm... pears.

Posted by: GreenCanary at August 4, 2008 8:49 AM

It was potentially the best weekend of my entire life to date. Having this little princess home is just the best thing ever and all my numbers have to do with oogling or awwing over her. Glad you had a good weekend, it sounds like you may be in need of a Percocet...after having my first ten of these in my life over the past week I have to say that controlled substance is best.

Posted by: Cass at August 4, 2008 8:50 AM

This was our b-day party weekend for our girl (turns 5 today). Too many numbers. Too tired. Back to my peppermint tea. :)

Posted by: Brad at August 4, 2008 9:04 AM

How does the 'Hours of massages needed' compare to 'Hours of massages recieved'?

For me,
Hours on a plane: twenty bajillion.
Hours sitting in airports: ten bajilion.
Number of dollars to use wireless in various airports: 30.
Number of days that mysteriously disappeared over the ocean: 1.
Number of birthday muffins/cakes/champagnes consumed: 5.

Posted by: Missy at August 4, 2008 9:20 AM

I had one hell of a weekend as well!

Walls painted: 16 (yea, thats a f-ing lot)
Kids preparing for Kindergarten: 1
Slices of pizza eaten: 70 bakrillion
Rental units cleaned: 2
Blinds hung: 12
Animals moved: 5
Naps taken: 0
Naps needed: 3

I knew this weekend was going to be hell and I was anxious to get it over! This week? Four day week, three day weekend, and a girls trip to Destin! Then on Monday I start my new job!!!

Posted by: Mymilabean at August 4, 2008 9:32 AM

Saturday was garden cleaning day:

Tomato plants yanked: 4 (non-producers)
Peppers picked: One
Tomatoes picked: One
Naps taken: One

Sunday was Pocono NASCAR indulgement day:

Number of times I was grateful for friends in high places who comped me skybox seats/parking passes/pit passes.....too many to count.

Posted by: Amy at August 4, 2008 10:48 AM

I read Dawn Patrol! Thanks for the recommend-
I also read California Fire and Life by Don Winslow, and have started The Power of the Dog.
In turn, I will suggest Heyday by Kurt Andersen (Omaha bred! whoot!) and Bone Rattler by Eliot Pattison, both Colonial and crazy cool.

Posted by: christina at August 4, 2008 11:05 AM

My numbers pale in comparison. :-) What are you going to do with all the pears?

Number of hours spent downloading music: 8+
Number of new songs downloaded: 100+
Number of new playlists: 3
Number of loads of laundry: 5
Number of hours laying in bed not feeling well: ...

Posted by: Maria at August 4, 2008 11:13 AM

Barbecue baby back ribs consumed: 3
Barbecue baby back ribs still needs to be consumed: 4
New bike bought: 2
Hours riding said bike: 3.5
Sunburn: None. Thank god for 75 SPF Aveeno spray sunblock.
Shorts and sock tan: Yes.
People damn near killed themselves because they were checking out the Asian girl with bikini top riding a bike: At least two that Brandon noticed.

It was fun. However, Chris, why were you cutting down a fruiting pear tree? Was there a partridge in it?

Posted by: oakley at August 4, 2008 11:21 AM

Hockey classes attended: 1
Types of shots learned: 3
Shots taken: ~30
Shots that went into the (empty) net: 2
Times I "took a knee": 3
Muscles pulled while taking shots: 0
Muscles pulled while taking a knee: 1
Ice packs shoved down my pants: 2
(aren't you so glad you asked?)

Posted by: Judy at August 4, 2008 12:55 PM

Over the last 132 hours:

Time spent in a vehicle with a grumpy cat: 20

Time spent in airplanes (moving and non moving):5

Hours spent running errands, replacing things that were thrown away because it would be easier to buy new ones after moving: 10

Time spent sleeping in a real bed: 0

Posted by: rai at August 4, 2008 3:31 PM

I just want to know how I got this bruise on my thumb knuckle...

Posted by: alektra at August 4, 2008 4:35 PM

Number of book release parties attended: 1
Number of emo kids dressed as vampires (Yep, I went to the "Breaking Dawn" release): 50+
Number of grown ass women making fools of themselves: 3.2 to the power of 10
Number of people in my small house for a BBQ Saturday night: 7
Number of times I thought about quitting my job: 1 million
Number of times I gave my notice: 1 (go me!)

Posted by: Stephanie at August 4, 2008 9:31 PM

- Boxes PACKED for friend who said she was all packed and ready to move: 70 bajillion
- Times I bitched to friend #2 (helping to pack)about friend #1 not being packed: 233,435,974,324,896
- Times I said I'd be *mortified* if I asked friends to help me move and they were really helping me pack my shit ON moving day: Eleventy billion
- Friends I'm willing to help move unless I KNOW they're packed and ready to move: 0
- Times I put off writing summer school lesson plans: Eleventy billion and one
- Batches of Sweet and Sour Green Beans made from green beans harvested out of MY garden: 1 large batch
- Dozen petite roses sent by husband and received on Friday: 3
- Amount of chocolate needed: 372 lbs.
- Amount of chocolate consumed: 3 small Lindor Lindt milk chocolate truffles

Hey, thanks for asking!

Posted by: ironic1 at August 4, 2008 9:34 PM

I spent the entire day Saturday packing up stuff at my late father's home. I snagged a bunch of kitchen stuff for my son and his girlfriend and threw probably 5 huge trash bags full of crap away, and donated a sewing machine, and it still barely looks like anyone was there. Then as my sister and I were leaving, we were standing in the yard, sweaty, hot and tired, and a dead tree limb the size of Idaho fell, snagging itself on other limbs mere inches above our heads. During the process of getting it out of the tree, naturally it fell and conked me on the noggin. The knot's gone, but it's still pretty sore. Sunday I did laundry and rested.

If it's as hot there as it is here in coastal NC, then you didn't drink enough Gatorade!

Posted by: coolchick at August 4, 2008 9:37 PM

Number of cars driven to Alabama: 1
Number of hours spent in said car: 12
Number of miles driven: 750
Number of miles driven by me: 650
Number of episodes of Car Talk listened to via iPod: 6
Number of unwanted plane trips to Washington, DC: 1
Number of husbands left behind in Alabama: 1

Needless to say I have about 26 days of no spouse. I am going to do the best I can not to be sad, but how would you feel if you had to live without your husband/wife for over a month?

Posted by: stasia at August 4, 2008 10:33 PM

We had a stellar weekend here. My stats:
Movies watched: 2
Beers consumed: 3
Burgers eaten: 1
Ice cream cones eaten: 1
Books read to children: 36 (or so)
Hours spent out of house on my own: 4.25
Days of gorgeous weather: 2
Hours spent cleaning: 1 (minimal)
"Alone time" with husband: 2 (!)

Posted by: Kimberly at August 4, 2008 10:54 PM

Why did you cut the cool pear trees down?

Now you can't bean pears at unsuspecting runners.

Posted by: jessica at August 6, 2008 2:36 PM

Busy weekend, but good things to do!
I was actually in DC Monday and thought of you and Beth. It's a busy (and incredibly hot and humid for a girl from Seattle) place!

Posted by: Dianna at August 6, 2008 8:05 PM