August 25, 2008

Recappin' The Weekend (By The Numbers)

It was quite a weekend. I can explain it better through numbers than paragraphs. And pictures of course.

• Insanely heavy rocks moved with my Herculean strength re-landscaping the front yard. 34
  • Fingers crushed during rock relocation: 1
  • Weeds pulled: 6,294
  • Bushes trimmed: 5
  • Gallons of water dumped on my lawn to save it from drought-induced scortching: Eleventy-billion
  • Tomatoes picked: 6
  • Watermelon harvested: 1
  • Lawns mowed: 1
  • Dates with my wife: 1
  • Dollars spent on dinner for two: $102.48
  • Dollars spent on therapy if we hadn't gotten a night out: $1024.80
  • CDs ripped to iTunes: 50
  • Songs now in iTunes: 17,032
  • Kids who learned to crawl: 1
  • Princess movies watched: 1 (Snow White)
  • Trips to Target: 1
  • Colors of Play-Doh bought: 24
  • Hours of Olympics coverage watched: 20
  • Pool visits: 1
  • Princess books read: 485
  • Times my daughter asked "why": 4,796
  • Times I sang Smoke On The Water to my son: 15
  • Times Smoke On The Water inexplicably became a song from West Side Story: 1

What were you guys up to? And what were your numbers?

Posted by Chris at August 25, 2008 6:33 AM
Comments

Weekend with son at our cabin on last weekend before he moves into college dorm: PRICELESS.
That's right -- he spent his LAST WEEKEND with his mother and father. I don't know how or why but I was glad for it. God I'm going to miss him (and he'll only be a 1/2 hour away).

Posted by: NancyJak at August 25, 2008 7:14 AM

Chords learned on guitar: 2
Hours spent reading Guitar for Dummies: 3+
Appts made to check out funky tuning key issue (2nd hand guitar, btw):1
Shopping trips:3
Biscotti made:24 (yum, vanilla almond)
Hours spent ice skating and chatting with a friend:2
Times I fell while skating:0 !!!!!!!

Posted by: Sarah at August 25, 2008 7:29 AM

Amount spent at the warehouse clubs: $400+
Hours spent downloading music: 2
Hours spent organizing playlists: 4
Hours spent cooking for BBQ: 7
Hours spent not sleeping: 4,796

I'm green over your beautiful tomatoes. Owen is adorable.

Posted by: Maria at August 25, 2008 7:58 AM

I was lucky enough to see Brian Vander Ark (formally of the Verve Pipe) in concert on a front lawn of someone's house this weekend. It was a family friendly show with about 200 people in audience and he put on a great performance and signed a couple CDs I purchased to my daughter. He brought his daugher along to the show and she and my daughter played and danced the night away. I hope that she has the same passsion for music I have. That was the only thing I did this weekend aside from my chores.

Posted by: harrylips at August 25, 2008 8:10 AM

I was right there with ya till you converted smoke on the water to a show tune!

Posted by: Jeff A at August 25, 2008 8:13 AM

Days worked: 2.
Pages of Sherlock Holmes read: 83.
Words of thesis on SH written: 0.
Hours spent procrastinating thesis by reading blogs and watching tv: A bajillion.

Posted by: Missy at August 25, 2008 9:02 AM

Peaches skinned and halved.......100 gazillion
Jam made..........................24 jars
Brandied peach halves canned......20 jars
Loads of laundry done.............8
Miles walked......................10
Time I walked dogs................50
Meals cooked......................7
Hour slept........................never enough.

So how do two Vegetarians spend that much on dinner? Has the cost of vegetables really gone up that much?

Posted by: Maribeth at August 25, 2008 9:05 AM

sounds like a great weekend...thought of you this morning...there's a Haiku contest over here http://rocksinmydryer.typepad.com/....you could totally win

Posted by: becky at August 25, 2008 9:06 AM

I think the best way to sum up my weekend...

Migraines had: 1

I was out of commission all weekend.

Posted by: Sparkle Pants at August 25, 2008 9:24 AM

*Target trips: 4
*Pool trips: 2
*Popsicles consumed: 847
*Beers consumed: 0
*Times I requested that children attempt to get along or keep their traps shut: 5,000
*Times I sent kids to bed earlier than their baby brother for refusing to get along: 1
*Hours spent soaking up last weekend before school starts (for me) again: every one of them
*Hours spent cursing professors who posted homework on Sunday night that's due before we get to class tomorrow: 5

Sounds like you had a great weekend! Also, I'm a little jealous of your tomatoes. Mine are stubbornly refusing to turn red.

Posted by: sunshine at August 25, 2008 10:00 AM

Can't think of any numbers...Uniqua keeps singing "A Singing Telegram" in my head.

("So Smile! Won't you Smi----iii---lle!")

Posted by: jessica at August 25, 2008 10:21 AM

Naps - One
Farmers market trips - 2
Copper circles cut - 20
Copper circles annealed - 20
Bracelets made - Zero

Posted by: Amy at August 25, 2008 10:31 AM

Besides living through a rather large tropical storm and havign to clear a 60 foot tree from my house, we had a pretty boring weekend. (j/k) Yay for Owen learning to crawl!

Posted by: Claire at August 25, 2008 10:32 AM

Number of houseguests from out of town: 5
Number of coffee makers that died while houseguests visiting: 1
Hours spent frolicking in the pool: 8
Number of touristy visits to the Byward Market and Parliament Hill: 1.5
Number of statues of former Prime Ministers photographed with my daughter sitting on them: 2
Number of ears of sweet corn eaten at the neighbour's corn roast: 6
Number of attempts to drive across the river to Quebec to purchase cheap beer at Costco: 2
Number of times we accidentally drove back across the bridge to Ottawa while looking for the right highway exit: 1
Number of cases of beer finally purchased at Costco in Quebec: 3

dinner with friends: 1
alcoholic beverages consumed: zero :-(
mosquito bites: 5
nights 4 year old slept in my bed: 2
hours of sleep for me: 8
hours of sleep for 4 year old: 20

yeesh, that was long. nice weekend though.

Posted by: Jen at August 25, 2008 11:06 AM

Little girl outfits bought: 9 zillion dollars
Brunch out with daughters: $46
Pedicure for three: $60
Slurpees at 7-11: $4.50

Last girls day out before son born: Priceless

Posted by: Issa at August 25, 2008 11:08 AM

What a wonderful site. I found myself on Alltop over the weekend, and since I didn't know what it was, I thought I'd check it out. Your blog is terrific. I have a Mia of my own. I just subscribed, see you at your next post.

Posted by: Writer Dad at August 25, 2008 12:29 PM

Trips to the grocery store – 3
Trips to Target - 1
Pairs of school shoes purchased – 2
Requests to wear new shoes to play in the wet grass – 10,294,786
New school outfits purchased - 3
Requests to wear new outfits to play in wet grass – 10,294,786
Amount of school supplies purchased to put into a communal bin at school - $45.00
Amount of school supplies that I will ever see again once they head out the door – 0
Ecstatic 1st graders in our household raring to start school again – 1
Pre-schoolers who wish they were going to school so they can get really cool supplies – 1
People in our household mourning the end of summer - 4

Posted by: zanie at August 25, 2008 12:36 PM

My 8 year old, when he was 7, came up to me with his little 1/4 Les Paul and said, "Hey mom. Check THIS out." And then played me Smoke on the Water.

Yes, I died right there, on my feet.

I sang my boys Paint it Black. Appropriate? No. Felt better after? You bet your sweet ass I did.

Posted by: Mr Lady at August 25, 2008 1:13 PM

You picked tomatoes. OK, we are doing something wrong with our plants. Not a single hint of tomato on them.

Yay for mobile Owen! Roo is crawling too! She'd win baby Olympics. I am sure. Her favorite targets are shoes and cats.

How nice you went to have dinner with Beth! We did the same at my birthday a couple of weeks ago. I don't think we had actually talked that much since... Roo was born. It was delightful and we need to do it more often.

Posted by: Nadine at August 25, 2008 3:08 PM

Oh my! A crawling son! He is so much more advanced than my 16 month old daughter who, at one point, was simply a butt scooter. She finally (about two months ago) figured out that crawling is pretty cool, but still reverts to scooting when she finds the need to move AND carry some awesomely cool toy... or her mom's once favorite, now chewed magazine. About a month after the crawling revelation, she figured out that her legs were useful - and started pulling herself up on furniture. Nothing beats the look on my baby's face when she realized she was STANDING! We're just waiting till she starts running (thinking the olympics would have inspired her to begin her solo treks - but no luck, yet).
Oh... and eleventy is probably my favoritest number in the whole wide world.

Posted by: Kim at August 25, 2008 3:55 PM

Oh... and eleventy is probably my favoritest number in the whole wide world.

Posted by: Kim at August 25, 2008 3:55 PM

Daddy weekend, so . . . naps taken, 2, loads of laundry done, 8, meals cooked without animal shapes, all of 'em! yee haw! And one perfect album bought on iTunes, Jukebox the Ghost, seriously brilliant. I'll be telling everybody 'til they're sick of hearing about it.

Posted by: OS at August 25, 2008 10:49 PM

Miles driven: 490
Miles walked: 10,000 (approx)
Takeaways eaten: 5
Alcohol units consumed: 397 (approx)
Hours spent looking for another Nandos that hadn't run out of Mediterranean salad: 1.5
Early nights: 0

Here's to 4 day weekends :)

Posted by: starrynite at August 26, 2008 7:48 AM

The Boy and I are having a debate. The picutre in the corner is it a pumpkin or a tomato?

Posted by: Nat at August 26, 2008 8:17 AM

Beautiful photos as always Chris.

And I have to say, I didn't think it possible that you and Beth could have ANOTHER insanely gorgeous child. I think you've hit your quota now. Sheesh. ;)

Posted by: Tink at August 26, 2008 11:59 AM

i can soooooooooooo relate to the "why, why, mommy, why?" one. I tried not to show that I am annoyed when that happens. I'm not always successful, though. ha!

Posted by: La Petite Belle at August 26, 2008 1:31 PM

DUDE! I sang Smoke on the Water all weekend! What IS that?!

Posted by: GreenCanary at August 26, 2008 7:11 PM