August 18, 2008

The Long Weekend (With Pictures!)

I don't know about you but I'm exhausted. I took part of Thursday and all of Friday off. And we crammed a lot into that three and a half day weekend. And I need a nap. Or coffee out the wazoo. Well, not the actual wazoo. I was speaking figuratively. Roll with it. Anyway, this weekend we:

Stocked up on all kinds of princess-related gear at the Disney store (aka, the suburban outlet of The Evil Empire). And Beth shoplifted. Really. It was totally unintentional and she did return to pay about an hour later. But I'm still calling her Five Finger Discount Beth for the rest of the week.

Played a rousing game of full-contact musical chairs with Mia, Tigger, a seal, a bear, and Austin. True, Mia doesn't quite get the intricacies of the game but it was still fun.

Played with Play-Doh.

Watched the Olympics and reenacted every event. Gymnastics was, frankly, the toughest on me since I was forced to become the rings, the pommel-horse and even the beam. I got a nice back massage out of that last one, though.

Accessorized Owen.

Simultaneously supported my favorite presidential candidate and Michael Phelps. Mia was pretty impressed with the headgear I sported. She cried, "Emo fish! Emo fish!" Cheer up, emo fish. (Yeah, that's a swim diaper.)

We went to the pool a fair bit. Of course, we Owen wanted in on the action so he had to be dressed appropriately.

Then we took baths.

That explains why I'm so worn out. What did you guys do?

Posted by Chris at August 18, 2008 6:36 AM
Comments

I was also busy busy busy, although in different, less child-orientated ways hehe.

Saturday I was a bridesmaid for my best friend. so that was a loooooong day and my mouth ached from smiling for all the thousands of pictures! But it was fun and I got to see her get hitched and shed a little tear. Oh, and there was free wine.

Yesterday, my other half, my friends and me gayed it up at Soho Pride. There was again, much alcohol, although this had to be paid for (unfair), and there was dancing and merriment. And trannies.

All in all, a great weekend.

Posted by: starrynite at August 18, 2008 7:43 AM

All in all, a great weekend.

Posted by: starrynite at August 18, 2008 7:43 AM

We ended up going to Grant's Farm. We wanted to make sure we went one last time since Anheuser Busch was purchased by Inbev. AB owns a bunch of entertainment parks and the rumor is they will either close or sell them off. Other than that not much.

Posted by: Josh at August 18, 2008 7:47 AM

My men were out of the house early Saturday morning so I cleaned in peace for 3 or so hours - and I actually enjoyed it!
Then husband and I went to an awesome graduation party for the daughter of his friend/business associate and I was surprising social and relaxed and met some really awesome people. Since my husband is an early to bed kind of guy were were home by 8p, he was off to bed and I (as usual) get the tv to myself and wait up for son.
Sunday was I think one of the longest days in recorded history which made it unbelievably awesome and then I woke up this morning wondering what day it was and did I have anything to start worrying about (usually how my Mondays start out).

Posted by: NancyJak at August 18, 2008 7:59 AM

We worked on building a backyard playset all weekend. It's still not finished, but we're getting there.

I just have one question though. How does your play-doh actually stay divided into the correct colors? All toddler play-doh I've ever seen ends up being a jumbled black mess shortly after it's opened.

Posted by: Courtney at August 18, 2008 8:49 AM

Oh wow, I can't wait to use 'Cheer up, emo fish" on someone. It's the perfect phrase for any occasion.

Posted by: Missy at August 18, 2008 8:50 AM

It was a big weekend. Big because the girl I have been mentoring for 2 1/2 years returned to my life. Her folks had gotten a little nervous that their daughter was close to someone who was not a family member, and they stopped allowing her visits. (She is 13) Sunday, they actually brought her back and this just made my entire weekend!
You know, when you spend time with a kid like this and you are teaching them, and watching them grow and change and then suddenly they are gone, it's pretty damn heart breaking. So, I am thrilled beyond words that they have seen the light and are allowing her back!

Posted by: Maribeth at August 18, 2008 8:53 AM

I'm tired just thinking about all that you packed into the weekend.

I was a lazy, lazy girl in comparison. I wasn't feeling well, so I stayed home all weekend downloading music. I created a 1985 Greatest Hits playlist that has 107 songs on it.

I'm digging Owen's pool wear.

Posted by: Maria at August 18, 2008 9:05 AM

Is it just me or does Owen kind of disappear in the bathing suit picture? The stealth-Owen strikes again!

Posted by: Shannon at August 18, 2008 9:05 AM

Your weekend sounds absolutely exhausting. But like a lot of fun - family time is always good.

We went to a play Thursday night - The Full Monty, and a local production of 3 one-act plays. Excellent.

Saturday a trip to the Apple Store - one of my favorite places, and Sunday I left Don at home and went to a very large, very long baby shower.
But to top the weekend off, we had dinner on the deck. Sockeye Salmon, and a huge salad. It was great.

Posted by: cassie-b at August 18, 2008 9:14 AM

Lots of Olympics and rain here. Some lawn mowing. Nothing exciting. I'd have liked to go to a pool. I am totally jealous!

Posted by: claire at August 18, 2008 9:16 AM

we went to see batman at the imax in downtown toronto. which was beyond words amazing. and today, which is not the weekend. my sister and niece are coming up here to visit for a couple days. i havent seen them in over a year so im excited! im glad you had a good weekend.

Posted by: Cri at August 18, 2008 10:07 AM

That looks like a great weekend!

I watched SummerSlam with my boyfriend and his dad. :)

Also saw Tropic Thunder, meh.

I did other things, but sadly my memory ha been erased of the weekend.

Posted by: Poppy at August 18, 2008 10:55 AM

Went to a concert, a football game, and played hockey. Full weekend for us, too!

The style that's all the rage: http://tinyurl.com/6n8j4q

Posted by: Brad at August 18, 2008 11:41 AM

Has anybody ever told you that you bear a slight resemblance to Jude Law? I saw the likeness in the photo to the left of the swim diaper photo yeah I did indeedy do.

Posted by: Brenda at August 18, 2008 11:51 AM

We tried on hats from different historical periods and dug up dinosaur bones at the Museum of Natural History (the Discovery Room is seriously cool). Afterwards we went to Central Park and rode the carousel, got ice cream and a balloon.

You should take Mia to NYC she'd love it here.

Posted by: jessica at August 18, 2008 12:00 PM

You are such a fun dad!

Posted by: Janet at August 18, 2008 12:01 PM

Well, my husband and I traded off this weekend. Saturday he was busy with all things Fantasy Football related and beer (ALL DAY) and I was on mom duty. Sunday was MY day while he was on dad duty- an awesome walk around a lake, a trip to B&N (found a Douglas Coupland book on the clearance rack, so YAY ME), Starbucks,lunch, and a bit of other shopping (I captured the day in pictures - it's all on my blog, lol).

Of course, now I'm paying for the fact that I wasn't here yesterday because the house looks like a tornado breezed through.

Looks like you guys had lots of fun!!!

Posted by: Sarah at August 18, 2008 12:03 PM

Watched some of the Olympics. Pulled our exercise room together and did some odd jobs around the house. Took Harley to see the new Star Wars movie. It poured for nearly 3 days here and there wasn't much we could do.

Posted by: One Moms Opinion at August 18, 2008 1:35 PM

All. Awesome.

Posted by: Aimee Greeblemonkey at August 18, 2008 1:49 PM

Oh my gosh! I step away from blogging for like two seconds and when I come back you've got double the kids and they're so big already and SO FREAKIN' ADORABLE!!! Obviously quite belated but CONGRATULATIONS!

What did I do this weekend? Oh, not much. Just had a teeny tiny little engagement party last night with a couple of our close friends where I was all "This rosé will go perfectly with that brie" and "This Rioja should go really well with our homemade gazpacho" and "This Pinot is fantastic with the chocolate coffee cake" and thus this morning am like "Holy crap I need to lie down and could someone give me some Aleve please?"

Posted by: Liberal Banana at August 18, 2008 1:54 PM

I love your family :-) And I love how Owen is almost completely camoflauged in that swimgear photo! He was Zoolander in the coal mine!

Posted by: GreenCanary at August 18, 2008 2:57 PM

Bummer, I was hoping for a picture of you being the balance beam or rings! This weekend pretty much consisted of sweating quite a bit and shoe shopping!

Posted by: Dianna at August 18, 2008 4:33 PM

Owen kind of blends into the carpet there.... How did you find him?

Posted by: k8 at August 18, 2008 5:23 PM

Ok, must buy that swimsuit for my babeeee. Where'd Beth get it?

And dude, what long weekend? Schmuck. :)

Actually it rained all weekend here and now on Monday it's nice. Which is so wrong.

Posted by: Issa at August 18, 2008 6:12 PM

Had a lovely weekend full of birthday delights (yay for me!) and Olympic watching. A glorious combination and one that I highly recommend.

Posted by: Beth at August 18, 2008 6:59 PM

Great pictures! Hilarious!

Posted by: coolchick at August 18, 2008 8:32 PM

Those pictures are a riot. I dig the musical chairs. And I'm a little disturbed by the swim diaper. ;)

We spent the weekend doing every piece of laundry in the house so Chris could head to L.A. for two weeks, hung out with the family and made a few rousing trips to the park. Twas good times.

Posted by: Jen at August 18, 2008 11:40 PM

awww, that is so cute, your kids are beautiful, love the swim diaper on your head, I've done that too hahaha

Posted by: La Petite Belle at August 21, 2008 1:58 PM

Ok so I was internet-less for about a week and am now working on catching up....

Over the weekend? well let's not talk about it, let's just say it involved our vehicle and possibly satan.....

on a lighter note, you sir are a bit of hottie (it had to be said...)(even w/ an 'emo fish' swim diaper)

Posted by: Kris at August 21, 2008 7:37 PM