September 22, 2008

Pockets Full Of Rainbows

This weekend was chock-full of post-summer goodness and some not-so-goodness but on the whole it was a pretty great weekend. And a busy one. Let's see - Friday night football game, yard work, swimming class, a trip to a local park, visit from the grandparents, teething...there was just a lot going on. Including being awake.

On Saturday night, Mia was a little under the weather. I stayed up with her all night, alternating between sleeping on the floor holding her hand or full-on holding her in my arms and sitting upright with her head buried in my t-shirt. The only sleep I'm sure I got was between the hours of 6:30 and 8:00 Sunday morning. Which is why I walked around all day Sunday like this:

The most perfect moment of the weekend? Friday night.

On Friday evening, we went to the local high school to check out the football game. In case you're just joining our program in progress, we live very close to my old high school. So close, we can hear the band. And Mia is a sucker for a good marching band. We hit the home games whenever we can. The four of us walked to the school but by the end of the first quarter Owen was well past his bedtime and had had enough of the noise. Beth and Owen walked home while Mia and I stayed for the halftime show. Early in the second quarter, Mia wanted some explanations about the intricacies of the game.

Mia: Daddy? What are they doing?
Me: One team has the ball and tries to get it to one side of the field.
Mia: Why daddy?
Me: Because that's the way they score points.
Mia: Why do they want to do that?
Me: Because that's how you win, by scoring points.
Mia: Oh. Which team do we want to win?
Me: The one wearing the black uniforms.
Mia: Oh. Okay.

It was then that she got incredibly excited about cheering our team on at the top of her lungs. Much to my chagrin she chose to support the team in an interesting way. She shouted, Go black guys go! You can do it, black guys! Luckily she quickly switched to a new cheer moments later without my intervention. And man did she cheer her little princess underwear-wearing ass off. It must have worked. By halftime, we were ahead. The drill team took the field and Mia took to the bleacher steps and did her very best to reenact the dance step for step. Then the band played and Mia stared in awe at the drummers. After the show, it was time to leave.

Despite the fact that the dance routine proved stiff competition, the walk back home was the best part of the evening. Twenty minutes of talking, just the two of us. Early in the walk she told me she saw a rainbow. Her conviction forced me to look around. Sure enough, the halo around each of the streetlights we passed was ringed in a rainbow. I'm going to pick it and take it home to mommy in my pocket, she said. I'll help, I replied. The few people who passed the two of us randomly stopping to jump and pluck invisible rainbows from the sky in order to stick them in our pockets might have thought we were a little strange. I thought we were wonderful.

We talked about the rainbows, preschool, swimming class and even the parrot Mia had been uncharacteristically brave enough to hold. The conversation wasn't particularly remarkable. But it was one of the top ten evenings of my life, just me and my daughter, walking down the street in our neighborhood, hand-in-hand enjoying one last summer evening, talking about our lives. Together.

What's been your favorite little moment recently?

Posted by Chris at September 22, 2008 6:49 AM
Comments

Lovely. Same sort of thing as you. I found my daughter in the hallway the other week dancing on sunshine. I managed to take a snap of it as well. It made my heart burst. http://littlereginald.blogspot.com/2008/09/walking-on-sunshine.html

Posted by: Beth at September 22, 2008 7:04 AM

Dude, exact.same.one.

Except instead of post-football, it was post-ballet. Just the two of us, walking, and having a real conversation. Seems like just yesterday we were talking "at" them as they stared blankly at our faces, doesn't it?

Posted by: SciFi Dad at September 22, 2008 7:21 AM

Actually mine was tucking my 3 year old in last night. We talk about our favorite parts of our day, what we'd do the next day and when I got up to go, she said, "Just two more minutes." I then snuggled back up to her and she wrapped her arm around mine. We have our silly goodnight rituals - they are goofy but I tell my kids I love 'em "bunches and bunches and bunches of lunches" and "lots and lots of tater tots" (it's all about the rhyme really, cuz I think tater tots are gross)... So last night when I started saying it, "I love you bunches and bunches and bunches..." she interrupted me to excitedly finish it. Makes me smile that she pays attention to the silly rituals, and that they make her smile too.

Posted by: sarah at September 22, 2008 8:05 AM

Last Sunday we went to visit some friends and their 19 month old daughter, who has had more than her fair share of medical traumas but is a real bright spark. She's also quite shy but by the time we left she had made up babysigns for Jon and I and then did the sign for 'friends'.

Posted by: Katherine at September 22, 2008 8:19 AM

Stealing rainbows, that is a federal offense.

Posted by: Willioam at September 22, 2008 8:19 AM

Every night, Bear asks to go outside to see the moon. One of us has to hold him up in the air, so he can grab the moon and eat it! He usually takes about 5 bites or so before we convince him to leave some for tomorrow night.

How do kids come up with this stuff?

Posted by: Robyn at September 22, 2008 8:29 AM

I woke up the other morning and I could feel a little dachshund head resting on my shoulder. Before I even opened my eyes I felt her snuggle closer and sigh. It was the sweetest moment with my little Anneliese puppy.

Posted by: Maribeth at September 22, 2008 8:38 AM

Summer wears her Cinderella dress all.the.time now. She came in the room the other day, knees skinned, dirt on her face, her Cinderella dress frayed from too much wear. She threw her hands in the air and said "Look mommy, I'm a beeeeeauuuutiful princess".
Yeah baby, you are!

Posted by: mymilabean at September 22, 2008 9:15 AM

I know this will sound crazy..but you just helped me out of a funk and reaffirmed that there is goodness out there...little girls and rainbow catching. As always, thanks for sharing.

Posted by: diane at September 22, 2008 9:38 AM

First biochemistry test Friday. Two hours long. Hard. Still, when handing it in, I leaned over to the professor and whispered, 'I own you'*, then walked away. Not quite as splendid as yours, but still a small moment, nevertheless.

*May not have actually happened exactly as described.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at September 22, 2008 9:47 AM

Hey! I was highschool footballin' it at the old high school Friday night too! ALOT easier watching a game now that the boy is no longer playing (but they're still "our boys"). And, we're in walking distance too (must remember to bring a flashlight!).
Ahh, with son at school, memory of the weekend would have to be hubby and I at a restaurant by the water, drinking coronas and eating a fried seafood platter in the outrageously gorgeous weather on Saturday.

Posted by: NancyJak at September 22, 2008 9:55 AM

Oh gosh, Chris, this is why I can't wait to have kids. What a precious moment.

Posted by: Katie at September 22, 2008 9:59 AM

Beautiful.

Mine have been like that too. My girl recently started playing 5-year-old amoeba-shaped soccer, with games and fields and referees and everything. My best moment from yesterday happened after she had scored a coast-to-coast goal, and was running back to the center circle. She looked over at me (with grandparents, brother, mom all next to me) and gave me the biggest smile, not turning her head until she got the thumbs up and "good job!" from me. Oh man, that's just heart-swelling creamy-nougat kid goodness there.

Posted by: Brad at September 22, 2008 10:20 AM

That was beautiful Chris. The love you have for your daughter is amazing.

My best moment recently was with my daughter as well. There was a local fair and I took her to it. Figuring she would enjoy the crafts and silly kid things. To my suprise, somewhere along the line, my daughter grew up. She's now 7. She didn't want to ride the ferris wheel or get her face painted. She wanted to go on every rollercoaster and fast, twirling ride. She put her arms up on every ride and squealed with delight. Yet any time we weren't on a ride, her little hand found it's way into mine and she held it tightly, proudly, all around the park.

We talked about school, friends, her dad, her family. Everything. Conversations I would expect to have with someone much older. She told me how kids in her class make fun of a certain girl because she is autistic. My daughter said it's not her fault that she's different, and that different isn't bad. That this little girl is funny and smart in her own way and they are good friends. I am both amazed and honored by the person she is turning out to be.

Whew, long winded. Sorry!

Posted by: js at September 22, 2008 10:39 AM

ooooh...She likes drummers!

I'm sorry.

Posted by: kalisa at September 22, 2008 10:40 AM

Um, reading this post, you big softy.

Posted by: Mr Lady at September 22, 2008 12:44 PM

Best moment lately with children: Last night I couldn’t sleep and went to the living room to lay in the recliner at about 3:30. At about 4:00, the 5 yr old woke up crying and came out because there was a bug in her room (crane flies suck!) She didn’t want to go back to bed so I had her curl up under a blanket on the couch with me and we slep there until Daddy left for work this morning at 6:30. When she was a wee nard, she didn't sleep well and we used to curl up on the couch together on a regular basis so it was just a sweet reminder of her baby days.

Best moment lately with Hubby: We love to watch Keith Olberman on MSNBC and have been doing so religiously for the past two weeks. We cuddle together and laugh our ASSES off at this show and make jokes and laugh some more. Laughter is what drew us together in the first place and a lot of laughter brings us closer.

Posted by: zanie at September 22, 2008 1:08 PM

Holding my daughther's hand when we're walking together and talking....still one of the best feeling, it warmed my heart when she was a tiny baby, it still amazes me today...and she's seven

Posted by: stephanie at September 22, 2008 2:01 PM

You are such a great dad. The world needs more of that. My husband is the same way, I burst with pride at the thought of it. :)
I would have to say that my favorite part of the weekend was making pancakes with the 2 and almost 7 year old. Fun times, especially when my oldest is trying to explain to the 2 year old why we don't put the whole egg in the batter! "You see this outter shell part, that touches the chickens butt, so we don't want to eat it"....LOL.

Posted by: Kristin at September 22, 2008 2:18 PM

I didn't have my kids this past weekend, so I didn't have any amazing moments with them like you did. Those are so precious . . . and they grow so fast.

Posted by: Mindy at September 22, 2008 2:41 PM

beautiful sentiments.

I've just been savoring the little bits lately...the 1.5 year old's unbelievable cuteness - how he answers "How are you?" with a firm and resolute "Good" even as I've just woken him at 6 am. Putting the 4 year old to bed listening to Jack Johnson and discussing the days events and what she wants to do the next day.

Posted by: jen at September 22, 2008 3:29 PM

At 30 years old, I was sitting in a bar on the beach in South Carolina with the dead guy, who was trying IN VAIN to explain football to me, and I'm all like, "When are the black guys going to score and why aren't the yellow guys trying to stop them." And Jay's looking around going, "Honey! My God. Stop it." And I'm all, "Whatever are you talking about, I just want to know what they're doing!" And then he tries to quietly point to all the black men sitting at the bar, looking at me and laughing because he's trying to tell me not to refer to the teams by their colors and then the light of day seeped into my feeble brain and I blushed and the black guys laughed outloud. That's one of my favorite moments with Jay. I love to remember it.

Posted by: k8 at September 22, 2008 3:31 PM

There were 13 of us evacuated in my sister's small 3-bedroom patio home in College Station (we all ran from Houston/Conroe/Baytown areas). There were 5 small children in that mix. The kids played so very well together all day Friday, as the adults watched all the news stations all day. That night, the kids were getting ansy about the storm, so to lighten the mood, we made hurricane party hats. All 13 of us sat on the living room floor, sharing scissors, tape, glitter, tin foil, posterboard, markers, pipe cleaners, and so on. It was fabulous. It was the most "fun" my family has had together for years. Then we scooped up ice cream on Saturday and wore our hurrican hats when the storm was ripping through College Station. It helped keep the kid's minds off the howling wind.

I hope to get a copy of the pictures we took from my sister later this week, and if I do, I will post them on my site.

Posted by: Jen at September 22, 2008 4:09 PM

Not wanting to be a parent, a lot of parent blogs don't do it for me. But I read yours purely for the streetlight rainbow moments. It made me simultaneously smile and cry.

Posted by: Heather at September 22, 2008 5:34 PM

One of the things that I love about your writing is how you manage to step back and enjoy the little things - and get me to stop and appreciate them, too. Thank you so much for that.

Posted by: Hannah at September 22, 2008 5:38 PM

mmm Dunkin Donuts coffee. What did you say?

Posted by: Kristy at September 22, 2008 7:25 PM

oh MY favorite little moment recently? When Oprah in her infinite wisdom (ok ok so shoot me now) chose the Edgar Sawtelle novel...the same novel I purchased 4 days prior to her announcement, because I know a good book when I see it without her input. I looked over at my husband and pointed at the book I was reading and said, "I beat Oprah...what an aha moment for me!"

Posted by: Kristy at September 22, 2008 7:29 PM

No favorite little moments. Am cynical and sleepy. And grumpy. Raaar.

Posted by: caleal at September 22, 2008 9:45 PM

I just recently found your blog... linked over from somewhere that I can't remember now. This post was just so awesome I had to delurk. I have a 2 year old little girl and moments like this one just put a smile on my face. It reminded me of Ellie (who we ironically call Elliebean) and her gigantic 2 year old imagination. It's just so fun to hear what comes out of their mouths next! There's just nothing like being a parent.

Posted by: kris at September 22, 2008 10:20 PM

Cars and houses are not cheap and not everyone is able to buy it. But, personal loans are invented to support different people in such cases.

Posted by: Chambers31Gina at July 24, 2010 3:16 PM