September 8, 2008

Rock You Like A Hurricane

I'm bushed. No, this isn't another political post. I'm worn out. I was quite the weekend. And if you were anywhere on the East coast of these United States, you probably got a heapin' helpin'
of hurricane.

Saturday's weather was like this:

Needless to say, we did quite a few indoor things after we tried and failed to dodge raindrops going to and from the grocery store in the morning. We did puzzles, built things out of blocks and played countless games of "Arial." I know - you're scratching your heads. "Arial" is a game in which I pretend to be Eric The Prince and I drown after my ship explodes. Then Mia, a mermaid, rescues me and helps me to the beach at which time she sings thus reviving me. It's a fun game...the first 300 times. It's only moderately amusing after that. Through all of this, the rain pelted the ground and turned Washington DC into something out of Kevin Costner's Waterworld but with much less peeing in jars and far better acting.

And Sunday's weather was like this:

Summer let out one final gasp which allowed us to do all kinds of summery things on Sunday. We woke early, got some breakfast, and visited my parents' flooded basement to assess the damage (they weren't as accomplished at the staying dry thing as we were). Then we all headed to the playground where, despite being told we were on Mars, we continued to play "Arial". After that we ate lunch, I mowed the yard while the kids napped and then we all headed to the pool one last time this summer. (And by the way, on a Sunday evening when I've had a lot of kid-time, I don't necessarily feel like parenting someone else's kids. Which is what I felt like I was doing since asshat dad was sitting the shade 30 feet away paying no attention to anything other than his Blackberry. Cowboy up and be a parent.)

Through all of this, Owen was both cutting four new teeth and trying to master crawling and we were trying to do our best to correct the fairly negative first impression of preschool Mia caught on Thursday. It didn't go particularly well. There was a great deal of crying. We're curious (and terrified) how it will go once she goes back tomorrow.

So, please keep your fingers crossed for Mia and if you have any brilliant suggestions, don't forget to let me know. And also let me know what you did with your weekends.

Posted by Chris at September 8, 2008 6:40 AM
Comments

I've been talking to beth about the preschool thing and I had two pieces of assvice. You should take her (if you can with work) and bribe her. If she doesn't cry at school she can have a new princess that afternoon.

I'm a terrible parent.

Posted by: jodifur at September 8, 2008 7:06 AM

Yeah, I'd go with a bribe too, and before you know it, she will make friends and be happy to go.
We got 5 inches of that wet stuff on Saturday afternoon/evening.

Posted by: Maribeth at September 8, 2008 7:50 AM

What's Mia crying about? Is it the separation? If so - there are a couple things - one is, let her take a picture of you guys with her (my daughter had a stuffed duck with a little picture frame in it that we had tucked a pic in - and current preschool has a family wall - with pics of everyone's moms/dads/sibs on it). Than, it's like the parents are never far away. Another idea is the kiss on the hand - seems there is a kid's book out there to this effect. Have beth kiss mia's hand before she goes (I think lipstick is needed - which is why YOU really SHOULDN'T do this) and all day, mia should have her mom's kiss with her... And most of all, keep talking about HOW EXCITING school is, and how you can't wait to hear all about it when she comes home - that she's SO LUCKY to get to go to school and oh my gosh, that sounds like fun!!

Of course, if she's crying for a non-separation related reason, my ideas are crap.

Posted by: Sarah at September 8, 2008 8:36 AM

Posted by: Sarah at September 8, 2008 8:36 AM

We spent the weekend on the Isle of Skye and it was fabulous.

With regard to the crying at preschool thing, this probably isn't what you want to hear but I hated preschool too. I also hated school and would have done anything to avoid it. However when I got to college I loved it and my mum kept saying I should have gone when I was 5. I now have 2 degrees, a good job, friends, getting married next year etc etc. In the highly unlikely event that her dislike of preschool continues (and I'm sure it won't) don't worry too much about how she will turn out (so much easier said than done I imagine).

The other thing to remember is that not all kids are suited to preschool. My youngest sister also hated it and my mum just took her out. After a bit of a struggle the first couple of years of school she blossomed into one of the most outgoing and confident people I know, definitely more so than my sister and I who went to preschool.

I really didn't want this comment to sound negative about preschool, I do think it can be a good thing and I think Mia is the right age for it, but I wanted to reassure you that kids who hate it aren't necessarily going to have problems socially and academically when they are older. Good luck!

Posted by: Katherine at September 8, 2008 8:46 AM

I remember when I taught nursery school, that lots of kids cried till their parents departed the scene. Sometimes it takes a couple of weeks for them to adjust. Good luck with that.

I hope she loves it today.
Cas

Posted by: cassie-b at September 8, 2008 9:03 AM

I have no preschool advice. I do know that it's different for every kid and some just need more time to adjust.

And I can't believe that a) I know this and b) I'm about to admit it to the entire internet, but you spelled Ariel's name wrong. I have no children, so there is no reason I should know that.

*Shame.*

Posted by: Fraulein N at September 8, 2008 9:16 AM

Our best approach to school was to not make a big deal out of it. Ever notice how when you make a big deal out of something, it suddenly becomes a BIG deal to your child - and not always in a good way?

Posted by: Traci at September 8, 2008 9:19 AM

You know, I was reading DasBecca's blog and she was all THERE WAS MUCH WIND AND RAIN AND IT WAS SCARY when Hanna blew through in the middle of the night and I was like..um...what? lol I must've slept through it all. Kind of scary to think that I could. I was a little bummed that all of our rain happened while I was sleeping so I couldn't enjoy watching it fall.

I spent my weekend watching Black Books and Doctor Who and That '70s Show. And sleeping to get over this flu or whatever I had. I hope Mia's next day of preschool goes better. I vaguely remember my first day of kindergarten. It was very overwhelming. I think I was too terrified to cry.

Also, I just want to cuddle Owen. He's so. freaking. cute.

Posted by: Sparkle Pants at September 8, 2008 9:28 AM

I was on I-95N between 11 AM and 1 PM on Saturday, driving from Fredericksburg to Baltimore for my son's fencing competition.

Why yes, I am an idiot.

Actually, once we got around the Beltway to Maryland the weather lightened up significantly. By the time we headed home at 5 PM the sun was shining.

Posted by: COD at September 8, 2008 9:34 AM

Hmmm, I dont have any thoughts on preschool. I dont have any children as of now, but there's always hope. :)
This weekend:
Saturday, I managed to sleep in till 7am. I had to go and help my uncle with and Excel spreadsheet (only took us 6 hours for one report...if he had just let me do it, it would have taken me less than an hour), had to rush from there to a gathering of friends, left said gathering, and went over to another friends, came home and finally got to sleep by midnight.
Sunday, I got up and got ready for Church. After Church I came home and attempted to clean my apt. I was summoned back to friends house to just hang out (much better than cleaning. Finally got home around 10:30 and got everything ready for work today.
It is pretty sad when you are looking forward to work on Monday because you will be able to rest some. LOL

Posted by: Elizabeth at September 8, 2008 9:36 AM

Sorry to hear about your parents basement, that sucks. Sounds like a delightful weekend otherwise.

No advice about Mia and preschool. My oldest is ran in and started introducing herself on her first day.

My weekend was filled with a work day at a relative's house, pink eye (yes, this was mine), a doctor's visit, the joys of eye ointment, garage cleaning, laundry, dinner out with friends without kiddos, Dairy Queen, a fun game of Texas Hold 'Em with the same friends, and it all ended with a feverish sick toddler.

Posted by: Jen at September 8, 2008 9:49 AM

I lived directly ON THE ATLANTIC OCEAN and I didn't realize that the rain we got on Saturday was from a hurricane until my Canadian relative emailed to ask how our first hurricane experience was. :P It didn't even rain until late in the evening but it was so damn humid and muggy all day that I got my first taste of full blown transit rage on the Boston subway. Fun times!

Posted by: Shannon at September 8, 2008 9:50 AM

I can't say it enough times: your kids are so freakin' cute!

Saturday: Went shopping (because that's how to best weather a tropical storm). Then shortly after returning from said shopping trip, used a plastic jug to keep the water from rushing into our walk-out basement while FM went to his best friends' house nearby and helped them deal with their completely flooded basement. (Buckets were involved.) In the evening, got dressed up in one of my new dresses and went out to dinner at The Source for a friend's birthday, and then dancing at Napoleon where a 24-year old tried (and failed) to convince me that he was the man of my dreams. (The ring did not turn him away - he said "well you're not married YET".)

Sunday: Very exciting. Went back to bed after breakfast. Went to Target. Walked the dogs. Went out to dinner. Ohhh yeahhhhh. ;)

Posted by: Liberal Banana at September 8, 2008 9:51 AM

I talk about the dreaded event (whatever it might be, doctor, preschool, heinous cousin's birthday, whatever) ahead of time to get my kids ready. So they doesn't ever feel tricked or lied to. I knew a mother that would tell her kid they were going to the zoo to avoid drama about going to the doctor. Can you imagine being all excited about the zoo and climbing out of the car in the doctor's office parking lot? Just crappy. Great lesson, mom's a liar. So I think if you talk about it alot, you can lessen the unfamiliarity, make it no big deal (or less big) and just keep working it into her idea of normal routine. Good luck. Plus the kiss and picture are great ideas, too.

Posted by: OS at September 8, 2008 9:53 AM

Over on our end, we watched A LOT of football, had multiple outings with friends, and Elliot is either teething again or getting sick. Baby vomit is not a fun thing! And the poison ivy is residual on both parents. However, it started to feel a bit Fall-ish one morning. And that's a good sign!

Posted by: claire at September 8, 2008 9:59 AM

The only pre-school advice I can offer is something that my sister did for my niece. She made her a little photo album of the family so she can take it with her and feel better about being away from mom and home.

As for my weekend, it was wonderful - spent some time getting to know the new man in my life and feeling very content. Then mom and I saw a local show, which was very, very bad. But so bad we laughed.

Posted by: diane at September 8, 2008 10:01 AM

In my family, people tend to avoid things that upset them or challenge them or are new. So I grew up thinking that if something was (too?) scary, then quit. It wasn't until I was an adult that I learned there was another way, and that learning to cope with situations and think about what might help in a scary/new/different (but clearly not dangerous) situation is a great way to live. It's the whole "courage isn't the absence of fear but the judgment that something else is more important than fear" saying. So this is a wonderful opportunity for you and Mia to begin that journey of learning what helps her cope -- a lovey, a picture of your family, a favorite book, a video of someone going to school or being in school? I hope tomorrow is better. Hugs to all of you.

Posted by: Sandy at September 8, 2008 10:07 AM

How awful is it that my first thought when I saw this post was:

'I wonder how many bad karma points I'd get if I stole a three year old's umbrella?'

The scary part is I get *paid* to nurture and support kids :)

Posted by: Kate at September 8, 2008 11:37 AM

Once again, I didn't read all the responses. I will draw on both my parental experience and my experience as an administrator in the preschool industry. Your experience for Mia is way worse than her experience really is. Although she does need time to adjust she will. Kids are so resilient, she will get over the crying and look forward to the days she has school, most likely, the crying stops the second you walk out the door anyway. Its always harder on the parents than the kids. Don't stop unless the staff tell you it really isn't working out. A good school and good teachers will make her experience positive. HTH!

Posted by: hibyscus at September 8, 2008 11:42 AM

Thursday - Had a run-in with my son's foot. I was wearing flip-flops and he was wearing tennis shoes that seem to be made of some form of rubbery granite.

Friday - Went to the doctor to get swollen, colorful and not entirely weight bearing foot assessed.

Friday Night - Developed what appeared to be one of those deep, deep, painful pimples on my right temple. Used warm compresses and attempted to coax the second face out of hiding.

Saturday - Notice throughout the day that the swelling is getting more pronounced and site is very painful.

Sunday - Woke up with very puffy bottom eyelid/cheek. Pain is intense.

Monday - Back to work...I appear as though I've been shown what for by my new husband. Eye pretty much swollen shut. Extreme pain and swelling.

That was pretty much it. Spent the weekend with a "tumuh" expanding rapidly on my...FACE! Unfortunately that kind of ruined the whole "taking the kids romping through the German streets" plan.

Maybe next weekend!

Great pics, though!

Holly

Posted by: Holly Reynolds at September 8, 2008 12:02 PM

As I scrolled down after the rain picture, the sunflower stopped my heart. Don't worry, it was only for a second.

Posted by: Writer Dad at September 8, 2008 1:38 PM

He looks like he's about to do some push-ups.

Posted by: Issa at September 8, 2008 2:12 PM

it will get better. i promise. it's not her fault, really. i mean, Mia's been home with Beth for three years. and you guys don't (this is so not a judgment...it's just a fact) leave them much with anyone but family, yes? so...of course she's going to have separation anxiety!!!!!! every day will get a little easier.

Posted by: ali at September 8, 2008 3:10 PM

Summer just showed up here, like, 2 days ago. Did you know that Vancouver is really just a city in Australia? Neither did I.

PS: If WaterWorld was real, it totally would've been The Blowfish and Hootie. Just sayin.

Posted by: Mr Lady at September 8, 2008 3:11 PM

I think school just take time and that is that. there may be more tears and feeling bad, but she will love it soon enough. I promise.

Posted by: Tuesday at September 8, 2008 3:14 PM

we FINALLY got eldest boy's room finished. he's now promplty scratched his name in the bench his dad made and painted (and yes, boy helped painted it) WHY?!

tell Mia I'm having a hard time with this homeschooling lark (actually, with certain people's negative attitudes towards it 'sigh') and I'd happily trade places with her :)

seriously, hope today went better.

Posted by: mamacrow at September 8, 2008 5:02 PM

We too had rain here all day Saturday which led to a serious case of Cabin fever in our house. Then Sunday was Fathers Day in this part of the world and we managed to get out of the house to eat lunch and drink wine with other adults! Crazy I know! But good fun. Hope you have a good week...

Posted by: Beth at September 8, 2008 7:18 PM

Posted by: Dianna at September 8, 2008 9:38 PM

Love the sunflower shot. Also loved Beth's pictures of you teaching Mia how to break dance! Hope Mia's day goes better tomorrow and there's much less crying! My weekend was full of bbq-ing!

Posted by: Dianna at September 8, 2008 9:39 PM

Routine. Follow one every morning at preschool drop-off and though it's touch, leave with a simple good-bye. Lingering, I feel makes things much worse when your kid is upset and crying.

Weekend:

1) Watched Nim's Island with our boy.
2) Three hours with my hubby at a wine/beer tasting outside of a Whole Foods Market with a band. It was fun and mostly good, but light on the BBQ. We grabbed Subway to take home.
3) Most of our weekend was spent redoing our master closet with Elfa shelving.

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at September 8, 2008 10:42 PM

I already gave my brilliant suggestion to Beth because we went through the exact same thing last school year. Button is still the QUEEN of separation anxiety, even at almost-three years old, and she's now doing preschool remarkably well. Trust me, it gets better - just keep at it. If your reasonably confident that her teachers are good, the school adventure is of the best things you can do for her.

Posted by: Amy at September 8, 2008 10:54 PM

aww. school did that to my carson, too. i always wax about how fun it will be, you'll get to play with what'shisname, and have recess, and all ella and i get to do is empty the cat litter box and go grocery shopping at the boring store with no toys before we take a nap. and then i bribe him. good luck! :)

Posted by: tifRN at September 9, 2008 4:36 AM

Posted by: tifRN at September 9, 2008 4:37 AM

To be honest, it is one of the hardest things as a parent to send the little ones off to preschool/daycare. Being on my third, I can honestly say it does not get any easier. I never "sneak out" and I always kiss and hug them goodbye. They eventually run away without a kiss and a hug which sometimes, is harder =). Thinking of Mia today!

Posted by: Amber at September 9, 2008 6:32 AM

We got hammered by Hanna on Saturday. Big limbs down in the yard, power out from 8:30 pm to 11:30 pm. Fun times!

As for the preschool thing, give it a little time. My second child had a few adjustment issues with PS, but after a few days she did fine. I also found she really only cried for my benefit - as long as I was there, she sobbed. One day, I went in the back of the building and hid for 3 minutes. When I snuck back up and peeked in her room, she was playing happily. Manipulative little stinker.

Posted by: Kimberly at September 10, 2008 1:50 PM