September 2, 2008

Summer's End (Or, Thank You Billy Joe Armstrong)

I'm slightly bitter about the fact that, calendar aside, summer is pretty much over. Okay, I'm more than bitter. With schools back in session, traffic will once again rise to the penultimate position - second only to McCain taking the White House in January - on the list of things with the greatest potential to threaten my sanity. The days will get short, the leaves will change color and fall, and the neighborhood pool will lie abandoned for another eight months. The band at the school behind us will pick up their instruments and begin marching. The football games will begin.

I'll miss all the obvious things about the summer. I'll miss the smell of sunscreen and chlorine coming from my children. I'll miss the sound of kids' screams and splashes at the pool down the street. I'll miss the echoes of the ice cream man's truck though, since it inexplicably plays a vast selection of Christmas songs it would be appropriate to see it rolling down snow covered December streets selling baby Jesus ice cream sandwiches and Hanuka pops. I'll miss my dusk excursions with Mia to check on our tomatoes and watermelons. I'll even miss the yard work, the smell of fresh-cut grass and the grass clippings that invariably end up between your toes.

Owen's having a particularly rough time right now, what with six teeth coming in, a case of reflux and an insanely strong compulsion to crawl. He hadn't managed to get much sleep at all yesterday so Mia and Beth headed to the pool without us. He's most entertained when we're sitting on our front porch. So there we sat, waiting for Beth and Mia to return. At the high school behind us, Green Day's Good Riddance (Time of Your Life) came blaring from the PA system and blanketed the neighborhood. I sat there, my gorgeous son bouncing on one knee smiling up at me while my beautiful wife and daughter walked back from the pool, soaked and tired. And I thought, yeah, Billy Joe, you sure got that time of my life thing right.

What will you miss about this summer? And what won't you remember so fondly?

Posted by Chris at September 2, 2008 6:31 AM
Comments

I will NOT miss the heat we had this summer. It just seemed endless - and I'm a chilly person so for me to say that, it really WAS hot!
But I will miss warmth - coming out of chilly air conditioning and feeling the sun on my arms and the feeling of freedom that summer always brings.
However, fall is my FAVORITE season ever -- high school football games, leaves, that fabulous smell the season in the air, the chilliness that makes you want to put on your favorite pullover sweater and just be OUTSIDE.

Posted by: NancyJak at September 2, 2008 7:10 AM

I miss the fact that we didn't have a summer, that my garden was a disaster, and that we lost two fruit trees as well. Also no puppies either. This summer just sucked!

Posted by: Maribeth at September 2, 2008 7:21 AM

I will miss sitting out in the park reading and my washing drying quickly on the line, that was on the few days it was sunny! I won't miss the 7 weeks I had to take off work because of stress and anxiety. Wasn't a very good time.

Love the photos btw.

Posted by: Katherine at September 2, 2008 7:25 AM

I don't think you meant "my beautiful wife and daughter walked back from the poop". Just a guess.

I'm not ready for fall weather yet either. It seemed like summer was too short. And the return of heavy traffic. Blarg.

Posted by: Lisa at September 2, 2008 7:26 AM

I'm with Lisa - "walked from the poop" was just the thing I needed to read to start my Monday, er Tuesday, off right. ;)

I personally am psyched that fall is on its way. I lovvvvve fall. That slight chill in the air, wearing layers, donuts and apple cider, pumpkins, the beautiful color of the leaves on the trees...Bring it on!

Posted by: Liberal Banana at September 2, 2008 7:54 AM

I'll miss lounging and playing outside with my kids, picking flowers, summer produce and the gorgeous weather we've had for the entire month of August (sunny, clear, warm, not too humid). I will not miss the constant slathering of sunscreen, the nightly baths or the daily sweeping of sand and grass clippings from my floor.

Posted by: Kimberly at September 2, 2008 8:48 AM

I am NOT a winter person. I will miss the warmth and the sunshine. Freshly picked garden vegetables run a close third.

Posted by: Maria at September 2, 2008 9:00 AM

I'm going to miss going to the boyfriends grandparents house and swimming whenever we wanted. Although, we didn't partake in that too often. The thing that I would miss most, is a tradition I hope to keep going - the best friends coming over either Saturday or Sunday, and playing cards until the wee hours of the morning, all of us crashing, and going again the next day.

What I won't miss about the summer? What the humidity does to the arthritis in my knee. My GOD does that suck, when it starts to act up.

Posted by: secha at September 2, 2008 9:08 AM

I'll miss seeing my college-age sons on a more regular basis. If it helps, the NYTimes magazine did an article on Bush and Rove was interviewed as saying that he thinks Obama will win. From his crooked lips to God's ears...

Posted by: apathy lounge at September 2, 2008 10:00 AM

oh I LOVE the end of summer! Because...it's OVER! All in all it wasnt a bad summer this year...just that autumn is my favourite time of year! Actually I'm not a huge fan of summer.

And I don't even do the month of August anymore...I actually had to invent an alternate time frame to avoid it. Pigeon Risk Time (PRT).

Perhaps if I had a backyard with a watermelon growing I might feel differently. Although I did get an ornamental pepper plant for my desk at work. :)

Posted by: jessica at September 2, 2008 10:11 AM

I will miss coffee on the deck in the morning before the girls wake up. I'll miss swimming in the pool -- the endless games of Marco Polo and Ride Mommy-She's a Seahorse. I'll miss barbecuing in my bathing suit with my beer bottle sweating on the window ledge beside me. The singing of the cicadas, the taste of fresh raspberries. I'll even miss the nightly baths -- the sluicing off of the layers of sunscreen, popsicle juice and playground sand.

I won't miss the skunk that turned my backyard into a moonscape digging for grubs.

Posted by: alison at September 2, 2008 10:36 AM

I hated school from third grade through high school, so the end of summer was bittersweet. I was happy to end the days of boredom (nothing to do here, especially when one lacks transport) but the start of daily dread.

This year it is again bittersweet. Today I leave California for Washington. I've said goodbye to those I love, quit my job, packed what belongings are left. The love of my life is waiting for me (with the cat and all our stuff) and I am definitely done with having him (her/it) so far away.

Posted by: rai at September 2, 2008 10:38 AM

Your Freudian slip said it all, though now that I click through I can see you changed it :) Doesn't it also feel like the end of an era with Mia starting preschool this week?

Posted by: Laura GF at September 2, 2008 11:14 AM

Will miss:
Popsicle hour. Although it stays warm enough for popsicles just about year round here, it isn't as much fun in December. The Boy likes to go outside and enjoy a nice frozen ice treat when mommy gets home from work every day.
Running through the sprinklers. It's what we pool-challenged parents do for fun.
Daylight that lasts till 8 PM.
The heat. It keeps The Boy's asthma at bay. Already we're in his first cold of fall and it's a killer.
Won't miss:
Having to cut the grass every week.
Having to cover the carseat with towels just so the buckles won't burn!
The bugs.
The sun that gets you up at 5 AM every day. It's been nice to sleep till 6 lately...though 6 is the latest I can push it and still be out the door on time!

Posted by: rebecca at September 2, 2008 11:44 AM

I'll miss the long talks with my wife and two children on our front porch after dinner, when there's no homework to worry about.

I will not miss the over indulgence that is as much a part of summer as the longer days.

Posted by: Writer Dad at September 2, 2008 12:21 PM

Posted by: Writer Dad at September 2, 2008 12:21 PM

I will not miss:

Not having done any of the things anyone's talked about. Holy crap! Getting a house and working right now sucked away this summer.

But this week, I'm in LA for my birthday (tomorrow!) and a fun work conference. Off the computer now, I'm going out to see Pasadena!

Posted by: alektra at September 2, 2008 1:01 PM

This was the first summer that I've worked full-time since my children were babies. For the last 10 years, I've been home with them in the summer, setting up sprinklers, and bribing them to pick blackberries. I've survived those rainy days in August when they were so bored the only choice was to beat each other up. And then those anticipation filled days just before school starts when they both inventory their wardrobes and sharpen their pencils. But the best thing about that is the day they all go back to school (husband included, who is a teacher) and I have that first glorious Wednesday of September all to myself again.

I'll miss that. Tomorrow is just another day at work for me. And my oldest is gone to college now. The times, they are a-changin'.

Posted by: Candy at September 2, 2008 2:28 PM

I despise the extreme heat. I won't miss the piles of half wet towels everywhere or never being able to find half of someones swimsuit.

I already miss late mornings spent in PJ's; the smell of sunscreen; watermelon being a dinner staple; and eating popsicles on the porch, watching the sun go down.

Posted by: Issa at September 2, 2008 4:31 PM

I will miss swimming and drinking beer whilst the smell of charcoal wafts through the air.

Won't miss? Sweating my ass off and drinking beer whilst the smell of charcoal wafts through the air.

Posted by: mymilabean at September 2, 2008 5:08 PM

Too fast! It passed by all too fast.
I work only every other weekend (nurse hours) but after having weekends totally off for 6 years, working them at all blows a little.
I never did get myself swimming andmissed the county fair and its fireworks.
As my boyfriend injured his lower half in early July for the second year in the row, we never did pick up tennis rackets or get out on walks or bike rides together.
There weren't many bbq's this year and all the Poconos weekend invites fell on my work weekends.

Basically, I want a mad do-over!!!

Posted by: Karen at September 2, 2008 5:19 PM

camping. I will miss camping.

Posted by: k8 at September 2, 2008 6:01 PM

I will definitely miss the relaxing days of no school when I had time to spend with my dog, work on some projects I have... just all that time to myself. I will miss going to the beach.
I will not miss how it felt this summer going to the beach and pool and being out of shape and too embarrassed to wear a swimsuit. I also have 100% confidence that I'll be in a different place next year in that place.
I will also not miss the heat. I'm still not used to southern heat.

Posted by: Kate at September 2, 2008 6:05 PM

This summer, I will that perfect moment at Lobster Head Cove..

Watching The Boy hop from rock to rock.

Posted by: Nat at September 2, 2008 9:25 PM

You know how I usually comment to your posts early (well, even if you don't know, I know. I'm usually online early in the day and checkin' blogs and all that). TODAY I took my oldest to FIRST GRADE and my youngest to daycare and I worked. All day. Except for that 45 minutes I got to run on the treadmill ALONE, without anyone yelling for me. And then I did a lot of unimportant stuff. And then bonded with my kids when they got home to hear about their days...

I don't like summer - Kind of forces me to juggle too many balls in the air and I don't like feeling such a huge potential margin for error. So, I won't miss that.

What will I miss? Soft serve ice cream cones with my girls at a picnic table in the sun. Watching my oldest learn to swim without a life jacket on. Watching my little one overcome her fear of water and cannon-balling into the pool.

Posted by: sarah at September 2, 2008 9:55 PM

I will be so mean as to rub in the fact that we are about to get ALL that you spoke of. Good riddance winter and hello spring time and Summer. Yay for the southern hemisphere!

I will miss the open fires we have had this past winter, rugging up and heading to the park and getting cold cheeks, hands, ears. I will miss the comfort food, slow cooked on the stove and bubbling away for hours. I will miss the red wine, the hot coffees and blankets on the couch. But not really....because summer is on it's merry little way. Thanks for looking after it so well for us...I will be sure to send it back to you in the same condition in 6 months time!

Posted by: Beth at September 2, 2008 11:14 PM

I'll miss sleeping in until noon, having breakfast at 1PM, and alternating between reading blogs & watching TV all day long. Let's just say that I won't get to do much of that when school starts up in a few weeks.

Posted by: julia at September 3, 2008 12:42 AM

Hi Chris! I don't know why (yes I do...paragraph 2) but this post of yours reminded me of different song you may or may not have heard before. The song is Time to Pretend by MGMT. If you haven't heard it, you should check it out. As far as your questions go...well you know a little something about summers in Texas...so you know I have 2 more months of it left!

Posted by: jessica fantastica at September 3, 2008 1:12 AM

I won't miss the busy. Because as a Grade 3 teacher, the busy just keeps on coming! But I usually love it.

I will miss the heat and the sun. By November it will be dark every night when I come home. Oh Canada.

Posted by: Heather at September 3, 2008 11:09 PM

Various people all over the world get the mortgage loans in various creditors, just because that's easy and fast.

Posted by: McmahonAMBER26 at June 24, 2010 11:02 AM

People in the world get the personal loans from different banks, just because that's easy and fast.

Posted by: mortgage loans at August 11, 2011 6:54 AM