September 18, 2008

The Giant-Headed Lived Happily Ever After

It's a well-established fact that Mia wants nothing more out of life than to either be a princess or be surrounded by princesses. And, in turn, get married because apparently that's what most princesses do. Over the weekend, Beth and I revealed to an awe-struck Mia that we had actual video and pictures of our wedding. We hauled out our wedding album and leafed through the slightly dusty pages. Then we broke out the video - the thirty minute version, not the two hour extravaganza. The three of us then sat fascinated (Owen wasn't at all fascinated unless drooling was some indication of his awe) watching the wedding that took place nearly nine years ago unfold.

Mia was transfixed. I don't mind saying that our wedding was absolutely beautiful. The ceremony was in a beautiful church, the reception in a beautiful place, and Beth looked absolutely beautiful, like the princesses Mia is used to seeing only in books or animated movies. So I don't blame her for staring. I'm sure it must have been marginally interesting to see me in a tux but I'm not going to fool myself into thinking that Beth wasn't at least 95% of the box office draw.

Me, well, I just cringed. Our wedding photographers and videographers were fantastic. The results of each were spectacular. Yet I'm not thrilled by the ones featuring yours truly. Because of my head. My head looks absolutely huge in the vast majority of the pictures, not helped by the hair style that looks as if a small brown rodent curled up and fell asleep on my massive dome. Sure, I know that 99% of this is my own imagination, that it's all in my giant head but it's the way I see it. Now, imagine that giant head in full, life-like video. Imagine that head with a shit-eating grin getting cake stuffed down it. And imagine that head dancing. Not pretty.

On a side note, watching the video has convinced me that I will never dance again for any reason under any circumstances. Further, I urge all white men, except for those granted natural, god-given talent, to heretofore cease and desist with the dancing action. Us white guys just can't pull it off.

What struck both Beth and I more than the size of my head was the fact that everyone looked so young. Nine years is both a little and a lot of time, depending on your perspective. Beth and I looked about 12, like we were getting hitched in some quasi-religious ceremony after being promised to each other at birth. And our parents all looked so young. Grandparents, now deceased, were there, walking, living, breathing. It was a shock to see my grandfather. I have a strange, postmortem subconscious relationship with him to this day. Couples now broken up were together and couples now married had just met. And everyone's glasses looked too big.

Time does not heal all wounds but it does indeed wait for no man. Even dancing white men with big heads.

Posted by Chris at September 18, 2008 6:15 AM
Comments

Awwww, I love that last one. You guys look adorable, and perfectly normal-headed.

Though I agree on the dancing. White guys should, as a general rule, seriously look at their dancing ability and come to terms with it, whatever it is.

Posted by: Caleal at September 18, 2008 7:02 AM

The dancing does look a bit goofy ;) But you look very handsome, and Beth is a total knockout! Wowsas. You lucky dog, you ;)

Posted by: Heather at September 18, 2008 7:23 AM

You're a goof. You and Beth look right together because you're both very intelligent, beautiful people. And yes, both DO come across in photos.

You've finally made me regret not having a videographer. But we have good pictures, so hopefully, we'll just never have a daughter with a wedding fixation...

Posted by: alektra at September 18, 2008 7:35 AM

You BOTH look great. But Beth really is a keeper. :)

Posted by: Jamie at September 18, 2008 7:53 AM

You both look beautiful to me. But, I sympathize. I hate looking at photos of myself. My forehead looks too pronounced and my eyes look bug eyed in photos. My husband does not agree, but what does he know.

Posted by: Maria at September 18, 2008 8:08 AM

Awww, you guys are such a beautiful couple. I don't think you have a big head! But everyone has something about themselves that they pick on, so you're entitled!

Posted by: Liberal Banana at September 18, 2008 8:13 AM

First of all, your head does not look big! And I'd be the first to say it if it was...
Second, you are so lucky to have your wedding on video! What a treasure that will be for all of you even farther down the road to see family members on it!

Posted by: NancyJak at September 18, 2008 8:16 AM

We've been married 9 years...and we've never watched the wedding video. Ever.

My grandparents are on there. Perhaps I should drag it out. Hmmmm.

Posted by: Alissa at September 18, 2008 8:21 AM

What gorgeous pictures -- thanks for sharing!

Whenever I look at any pictures that are pre-parenthood, I'm struck by how young we look. But, it's probably just that we're well-rested and not stressed!

Posted by: Robyn at September 18, 2008 8:57 AM

My daughter loves to watch the 2hr extravaganza version of our wedding... she loves watching all the people she knows, even her cousins (one of whom is younger in the video than she is now, which creates a temporal paradox for her). She's even asked for a copy of our wedding photo to keep on her nightstand.

Posted by: SciFi Dad at September 18, 2008 9:02 AM

Ah look at you two! Yes, young, and wild and free! I look back 20 years now and see Hubby and myself and wonder how everyone else but me got to look so old! LOL!!!!
You two were/are beautiful! And it is easy to see why Mia is so impressed!

Posted by: Maribeth at September 18, 2008 9:15 AM

and here I thought I looked young in my wedding pics. KIDDING!!! ;)

Posted by: Holly at September 18, 2008 9:16 AM

Aww. You guys looked so sweet. And yes, very young. How nice that you were able to show Mia.

Posted by: Fraulein N at September 18, 2008 9:19 AM

My wedding pics (well, some of 'em) are hanging on a wall in the living room so I walk by it all the time going, "Damn. I looked young." and "Look, there's me with cake down the front of my dress." You and Beth look adorable though! (I can see why Mia was impressed - Beth looks princessy!).

As for white men dancing: I couldn't agree more. It was the source of one of the most often quoted things I've ever said while drunk.... In Fort Lauderdale (? Orlando? I don't rmemeber anymore) after several hours of free drinks for ladies' night (WHOO!) I told my husband (then, boyfriend - it was ten years ago! Yikes) after watching him dance, "Wow honey... You really ARE white." And it stuck with him. And not in a good way. Whoops.

Posted by: Sarah at September 18, 2008 9:44 AM

Beautiful wedding Chris! And I agree when I look at my wedding photos I always say...wow I looked so young (I was 25 and now 35 and wow).

Jewels

Posted by: Julie Andel at September 18, 2008 9:49 AM

How wonderful! You changed Mia's mommy into a princess. And I'll bet you watch that video many times more.

Kudos.

Cas

Posted by: cassie-b at September 18, 2008 9:49 AM

Haha... before I got to where you said it, I was about to ask you if you got married at 12 years old. (Yes, I thought 12, not 11 or 13.)

I think your head looks normal-sized in those photos, but yeah... the haircut leaves something to be desired. :-) Beth, of course, looks gorgeous... like a princess, in fact. Has Mia asked if she could wear her wedding dress yet?

Posted by: Stephanie at September 18, 2008 10:16 AM

We purposely said no having a wedding video to avoid reliving our dance moves. After 11 years, still no regrets.

Posted by: always home and uncool at September 18, 2008 10:34 AM

Wait until it's closer to twenty years. I look back and wonder who were those people. We seemed too young, were thinner and just different. Our essence is the same, but we have changed much.

Glad Mia enjoyed it all. Reminds me that I have to find our wedding video as Harley wants to see it. He doesn't remember watching it and it's somewhere in an unpacked box from the move.

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at September 18, 2008 10:46 AM

You both look very happy and your head does not look big at all. It is amazing though to see how much time changes things.

Posted by: Sarah at September 18, 2008 10:57 AM

As much as Mia loves her daddy, I'm SURE you looked like Prince Charming to her in the video.

Perhaps you can get someone to photoshop in some crowns?

Love that last photo of the two of you together.

Posted by: kalisa at September 18, 2008 11:16 AM

You both look SO young! Isn't that amazing? And you both look so very pleased with yourselves and isn't that what it's about?

Posted by: k8 at September 18, 2008 11:18 AM

Those are pretty pictures. Beth looks great.

Be nice to yourself re: your appearance- you look great too and at least you no longer sported The Mullet.

Posted by: jessica at September 18, 2008 11:25 AM

Speaking of subconscious relationships, I was thinking, 'Wow. They look 12.', then YOU TYPED IT! GET OUT OF MY HEAD!

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at September 18, 2008 11:34 AM

Hey - am back after some time away - though I've been lurking... Great pics - you DO look like you are 12...My husband and I had the same reaction to the glasses in our wedding pics - and we're talking 1988 glasses!

Posted by: Sue R at September 18, 2008 11:44 AM

You and Beth look lovely. Not big-headed at all.

Part of the reason I was so insistant that we have a good photographer at my wedding was because I used to love looking at the photos of my parents' wedding when I was little. When my mom looked so young and didn't wear glasses and wore the pretty, pretty princess dress. It's also why I'm glad my mom insisted that we go wedding dress shopping at an actual wedding dress store and buy me a princess dress, one that I was sure I didn't need. Because it looks pretty incredible in the pictures.

Posted by: suze at September 18, 2008 12:08 PM

I have to say that while you both look lovely, you certainly do look 12.

I was 19 when I got married. So I look about 9. And even though I'm divorced, I have to admit I pull out the video and watch it every now and then. It is the only video of my grandma, now deceased.

And you are right - time does not heal all wounds.

How special for Mia to get to see her mommy looking just like a princess.

Posted by: Mindy at September 18, 2008 12:12 PM

Gorgeous photos! But then you are a gorgeous couple. I'll bet Mia was thrilled with the pictures and the video! I remember looking at my parents' wedding pictures when I was young and wanting to be a princess like Mom. It's only been 3 years since D and I got married, and we still look really young (could be because it was before we both decided to get advanced degrees ;-P)

Posted by: Krush at September 18, 2008 12:24 PM

you do look really young! i think you both look great though - my husband's big thing about our wedding photos is that he had his sunglasses on top of his head in a lot of them (we had an outdoor wedding)

Posted by: amy at September 18, 2008 12:35 PM

You guys look so sweet. I love wedding pictures! I really like the last one, it's great. I can see why Mia would be entranced, Beth looked gorgeous. You didn't look too bad yourself! Your head is not giant!

Posted by: Dianna at September 18, 2008 1:32 PM

Well I have to agree that ya'll do look 12 but oh so adorable!

Posted by: Kris at September 18, 2008 2:01 PM

WHOA! Look at the size of that cranium! :-)

Posted by: GreenCanary at September 18, 2008 3:40 PM

You look perfectly normal headed! And both of you look so happy. I love weddings.

Posted by: bad penguin at September 18, 2008 4:09 PM

Not only are you to ridiculously cute, dear god you both look YOUNG. And you totally don't have to worry about the big head....you're right; Beth stole the show on this one.

Posted by: Mr Lady at September 18, 2008 4:29 PM

You both do look so young but very nice! And I must say Beth's a lucky woman; you are hot! Hehe and I don't mean that in a stalkerish kind of way ;-)

Posted by: Gabriella at September 18, 2008 4:38 PM

I just found photos of my Partner from a wedding he was in almost 10 years ago. He had big glasses, big hair and was skinny. Really weird seeing him like that.....

Posted by: Sleepynita at September 18, 2008 4:39 PM

awww... beautiful pictures.

Posted by: Jodi at September 18, 2008 5:17 PM

Fortunately love prevents us from comprehending the potential consequences of large (not freakishly huge and disproportionate) headed partners and childbirth! You both look like beautiful little kids having the time of you lives. I am sure you will enjoy many many more viewings of the album and video.

Posted by: del at September 18, 2008 6:50 PM

imagine how i looked at my wedding. i actually WAS a baby. hahah.

you guys are way too cute. i remember when Emily discovered that we had had a wedding too! it was amazing to watch her face while she watched the video.

Posted by: ali at September 18, 2008 9:44 PM

imagine how i looked at my wedding. i actually WAS a baby. hahah.

Posted by: ali at September 18, 2008 9:44 PM

imagine how i looked at my wedding. i actually WAS a baby. hahah.

Posted by: ali at September 18, 2008 9:44 PM

My first thought was, "They look so young!" My husband still has hair in our wedding pictures. It looks so odd to me. Has Mia asked to try on Beth's dress yet?

Posted by: Annie at September 18, 2008 11:12 PM

What a beautiful family you have Chris! I love seeing good things happen to good people, and you and Beth are SUCH good people.

Posted by: Sabine at September 19, 2008 12:26 AM

Posted by: Sabine at September 19, 2008 12:27 AM

Wow. My 9-year anniversary was 9/18 (same day as this post) and we pulled out our wedding album for a look back. We thought many of the same things you did (we look so young) and were moved to tears seeing pictures of relatives no longer with us. Funny you were doing the same thing. When is your actual anniversary?

Posted by: Kimberly at September 19, 2008 9:27 PM

Oh and PS - I think your head looks perfectly normal. You both look great. LOVE Beth's gown.

Posted by: Kimberly at September 19, 2008 9:28 PM

I think it's so great that you showed Mia this, and I think it's even more great that you made her mom a princess.
Yes, your head look normal and you do look really young, but you still look young now.
Great pictures, you two are beautiful and I enjoy following both your blogs. Keep up the great writing!

Posted by: Samantha at September 20, 2008 11:48 AM

Posted by: Samantha at September 20, 2008 11:48 AM

Yes, your heads look normal and you do look really young, but you still look young now.

Posted by: Samantha at September 20, 2008 11:48 AM

Posted by: Samantha at September 20, 2008 11:49 AM

Sorry I guess I got a little click happy there.

Posted by: Samantha at September 20, 2008 11:50 AM

Awww! You guys look awesome, and let me add that you look the same as you do now, atleast to me from the pics I have seen.

Posted by: at September 20, 2008 11:27 PM

You both look absolutely stunning! And so YOUNG!! (Not that you look like 96 today. Ok, I should shut up now. ) Does Beth still have the gown (for Mia)?

Posted by: Nadine at September 24, 2008 5:29 AM