September 15, 2008

The Weekend (In Five Acts)

It was a busy weekend and I'm appropriately beat as a result. I give you my weekend.

Act I: Swimming Lessons. We kicked off Saturday morning by heading to an indoor pool at the local community center for swimming lessons. For Mia. With the exception of Owen, the rest of us know how to swim. Anyway, the class was a hit. Mia - with my help - swam and kicked and splashed and generally had fun so that was cool. As soon as I entered the pool, I was assaulted with all those sounds and smells of, well, indoor pools which instantly took me back to my own swimming lessons which I distinctly remember being awful, full of chlorinated eyes and swallowed pool water. Mia seems to have had a better experience. Thank god.

Act II: Lebanese Food. We were able to get out on Saturday night for a date. We found ourselves at a Lebanese place and, not knowing what we were getting ourselves into, we ended up ordering much more food than we could possibly eat. But damn was it good. And the Lebanese sure have a way with the chickpea.

Act III: The Art Show. A good friend of ours is an artist. A damn good one. (Hi Andrew!) He had a solo show on Saturday night which we were able to roll ourselves to after eating way too much chickpea-loaded Lebanese food. The show was fantastic as was the location - Glen Echo Park. Just off the Potomac River, Glen Echo is a National Park. It began its life as an educational institution and, at the turn of the 20th century, found itself an amusement park. While most if its attractions were decommissioned in the late 60's, many of the art-deco buildings remain and have been restored. Even the carousel which has now been open for 88 years. Pity I didn't have my camera with me. I'll just have to go back.

Act IV: The Pool, And Time. Our neighborhood pool officially closed for the season last night. But not before we squeezed in one last swim. It's hard to believe it's almost fall. Mia pulled out a bunch of books for me to read to her yesterday morning, one of them a Christmas book. I was pretty shocked when I realized that Christmas is just a little over three months away. It seems like my favorite phrase lately is how did that happen. As in my daughter is going to preschool - how did that happen or my daughter knows how to write all the letters of the alphabet - how did that happen or my son could pretty much be a starting linebacker for the Redskins - how did that happen. I'm pretty sure someone is fucking with the space-time continuum. I wish they'd stop. Meanwhile, we squeezed in that one last swim and it was bittersweet. And nice, since it was about 95 degrees yesterday.

Act V: Birthdays And Their Coincidence With Major Acts of Terrorism. My in-laws both have early September birthdays. Unfortunately my father-in-law's birthday is September 11th. On the bright side, we'll never miss his birthday. We went to the in-laws' place last night to celebrate. And we had a great time. Mia even more so. She got to play with the dog, Biscuit, and her cousin. And put candles on the birthday cake. The crucial mistake my in-laws made was giving her a virtually limitless supply of candles. By the time she was done, there were 73 candles on the cake. Seriously. I'm not making that up. Needless to say, my father-in-law isn't 73.

So, what did you do with your weekends? And what do you have planned for the fall?

Posted by Chris at September 15, 2008 6:35 AM
Comments

My swim lessons, like yours, are not looked back on favorably! I was a terrible swimmer and always forgot to breath when I came up for air on the freestyle!
Those neighborhood pools - are they common in that area? Friends living in Delaware had one too. We have a huge town pool.
My weekend was low key -- husband and college son went to UConn football game for a little male bonding. I stayed home and putzed around.
Sunday one of hub's employees got married so we spent the afternoon there. Good time but I would have preferred alternating between reading my book outside and coming in to watch some football. Oh well - five days til another weekend!

Posted by: NancyJak at September 15, 2008 7:55 AM

Your in-laws dog's name is Biscuit? How many Biscuit books does Mia have?

Posted by: jodifur at September 15, 2008 8:02 AM

Sounds like a lovely weekend! I went to a bday dinner on Saturday at CoCo Sala (one of the girls' bdays was 9/11 which of course has made her hate her bday for the last 7 years). One of the items I ordered was bacon mac & cheese and it came with a thin strip of bacon covered in melted CHOCOLATE. Salty & sweet & seriously good. Went out to some of the VA wineries yesterday and then to my book club meeting! Am leaving on Friday for three weeks in Europe. YAYYYY!

Posted by: Liberal Banana at September 15, 2008 8:29 AM

Happy birthday to your in-laws. My birthday is also September 11. I've gotten into the habit of doing something special that gets me away from all news media for my birthday so I can have a nice day without all the "Looking Back: Seven Years Ago Today" remembrances. We used to travel for my birthday. Now we have kids, which makes travel more complicated, so this year I took a fifteen-hour cake-decorating class instead. Happy birthday to me!

Posted by: Kelly at September 15, 2008 9:14 AM

My 3 year old started swimming lessons on Saturday too - it was a HORRIBLE experience (for me) - as parents aren't in the pool... Just one teacher, seven kids - none of whom were in any kind of life jacket. Every time she turned her back on those kids (PARTICULARLY MINE) I wanted to scream. My kiddo was fine (and the one time she got tired of holding the wall and went under, she popped right back up and was only momentarily annoyed - she got over it fast), had fun and was exhausted when it was over. BUT, if the teacher to kid ratio isn't changed next week, I'm gonna have to say something. It was really off kilter.

Spent a lot of time hanging with my kids while my husband was glued to football (Football season is too long, btw). We had nonstop rain over the weekend, so yesterday we took the kids to the mall/merry go round, like apparently everyone else in the area. It was packed.

And then last night my mom and I saw "The Women" which was stupid and came nowhere near the original.

Glad it's Monday, actually.

Posted by: sarah at September 15, 2008 9:49 AM

I spent the weekend watching West Wing and putting off my homework.

I plan to spend my Fall taking pictures and spending as much time outside as I can. It's my favorite season!

Posted by: Sparkle Pants at September 15, 2008 9:55 AM

We watched a bunch of season 2 Dexter's (and made dairy-free pancakes. They were ... OK). =]

Posted by: sheri at September 15, 2008 10:29 AM

Wow, hadn't heard the name "Glen Echo Park" in a long time. When I was a kid, my dad used to tell stories about going to the amusement park there with pretty girls. This was before the war, so maybe in the late 30s? PLEASE post photos. I would LOVE to see it.

Posted by: Kalisa at September 15, 2008 10:45 AM

Sounds like a lovely weekend! We stayed busy with running the girls to dance practice, a birthday party for the oldest to attend, our anniversary on Sunday and the usually weekend chores. I hear ya on the "how did that happen", I blinked and I have a 2nd grader and a 2 year old. It needs to stop.

Posted by: Kristin at September 15, 2008 10:58 AM

my macbook died.
I spend all weekend looking for my os/x discs to re-load on my new, but EMPTY hard-drive...
ugh.

HAH! My son is the same way with candles. We either set off the smoke detector or have to use the fire extinguisher.

Posted by: Holly at September 15, 2008 11:24 AM

My god, you guys fit a lot into your weekends!! So the Lebanese food was tasty then? I've never tried it but we have a Lebanese Taverna right by us and it always smells delicious!

Posted by: Katie at September 15, 2008 11:42 AM

so...what exactly IS Lebanese food?

Posted by: ali at September 15, 2008 1:05 PM

Your weekend beat mine, hands down! I spent the weekend in the hospital, recovering from having my gall bladder removed and a large hernia repaired on Friday. It was tons o' fun! The good news was that I was home in time to watch the Steelers beat the Browns on national TV.

Before I can even think of what I have planned for fall, I'm going to be concentrating on feeling better... and then maybe I can go pick some apples, buy some pumpkins and enjoy the crisp, cool weather. (I think this is going to be a "fly by the seat of my pants" kind of fall...)

Posted by: ironic1 at September 15, 2008 2:09 PM

I spent the entirety of Sunday afternoon on the swing in the backyard, starting and finishing a book. Nectar from a Stone. By Jane somebody or another. I finally had to come inside - it was getting too cold, and dark. When did it start getting DARK at 8 p.m.?

Posted by: k8 at September 15, 2008 3:05 PM

Saturday was a football/housewarming/cookout/beer-pong extravaganza at a friend's new hizzy. Sunday was spent hating Movable Type (seriously, Beth's site is ... yeesh!) and watching more football. The Fall finds me studying a buttload and playing with chemicals. The 10-year reunion at VMI is in 2 weeks, so I'm looking forward to that. I'll probably spend a fair amount of time in Lexington throughout the Fall as it's A) In the best part of Virginia for Fall viewing B) Free for me to stay as an alum and C) Only 3 hours from where I currently sit, so why not?

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at September 15, 2008 3:18 PM

I was glued to the TV, scared for my family and friends in Texas. September is just not a good time for the U.S. this decade...

I did get a lot of cleaning done in my fright, though? Always a silver lining?

Posted by: alektra at September 15, 2008 4:06 PM

I remember my swimming lessons...I hated them. Glad Mia is having a much better experience and that preschool seems to be getting better! This weekend was full of heavy equipment and wood cutting, sounds exciting, right?! Fall is pretty much going to be spend getting though this semester!

Posted by: Dianna at September 15, 2008 4:19 PM

I work for a PBS station so since it was pledge drive time, I spent all weekend schlepping snacks for volunteers and running back and forth between studio and entrance and office and wait, where was I going? And the tornado shelter a couple of times, too. Fun for all! Tomorrow is my weekend this week. I have big plans for laundry and napping.

Posted by: OS at September 15, 2008 6:36 PM

If your daughter learns to swim before I do, that will be a very sad thing. But I bet she will. :)

Posted by: Zandria at September 15, 2008 10:06 PM

God I love chickpeas. But I must confess to having sniggered at the fact you ate a lot of chickpeas and then went to somewhere called Glen Echo. Or is it only me that occasionally (always) has a little "reaction" to consuming chickpeas? As for Christmas - gah! Our local supermarket already has Christmas cards, cake, crackers and puddings on display. Just round the corner from the Halloween stuff.

Posted by: Loth at September 16, 2008 4:39 AM

...but did he get all 73 candles out in one puff? That would be some lung power!

I was not very good at the swim lessons. They liked to teach breathing under water (or whatever the heck they were trying to teach) by holding us under until we choked then letting us up and scolding us for doing it wrong. It sucked.

"How did that happen?" seems to come out a lot, though in my life not for things as totally cool as one's own kids hitting milestones. The passage of time has indeed hit warp speed. Around here it is for things like 16 1/2 years since high school graduation, my dad turning 63... .

My stars, was it ever hot on Sunday indeed! My boyfriend and I were at Six Flags in Jackson (NJ) and gave up on the line for the Log Flume as it was way too hot standing there. Besides, everyone had to stand in line like sardines and the guy beside us really needed some deodorant :-(
(and the lines for most other rides were about 3 minutes long :-)

Posted by: Karen at September 16, 2008 5:00 PM

I'm a tad late on this one but I know you are dying to know what I did, so here goes

Managed to not blow my effin brains out! The crowd goes wild.
Mila turned six, which mean there was a "Pump it up" extravaganza (PUI is an inflatables party place that has me singing "Pump, pump, pump it up, nothing can make this one stop" on it's vision board, and it's totally fucking working). The party turned into a sleepover, and then there were other peeps that wanted to stay, and then more, and then more, and then there were 87 quadrillion people at my house, and there was hair streaking, and skittles, and hair beading, and sidewalk chalk? on the sheets, and me...in the corner crying. You totally want to trade lives with me, admit it.

Posted by: mymilabean at September 17, 2008 10:16 PM